Style/Clothing changes since losing weight

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Wearing neon again (second time around fashion for me... yes I am that old, lol). Got rid of most of my drapey T's which although they were still a sz small make me look like I might be a 'first-time preggers' skinny chick. You know, those first time mommas who put on the maternity clothes even though they don't have a tummy yet, lol. Apologies to all the pregnant women out there - but I NEVER want anyone to mistake me for a pregnant woman, even a non-showing first timer.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    my style has definitely changed - before I was partial to tunics and freer flowing shirts to cover the belly and comfortable pants, comfortable shoes

Now, if I try on something that isn't fitted, it's ewwww... no way :P

I am wearing shirts that show off my relatively flat stomach for the first time ever since probably teenage years (I am a minute away from 43)

I would have never went near skinny jeans/leggings/form fitting compression capris before - now, that is my pants wardrobe

Although I did realize one thing, I would have no idea how to shop for work clothes anymore - I work from home so my form fitting T-shirts and jeans work well, but I would probably be at a loss for actual clothes
  • shaynepoole
    Wearing neon again (second time around fashion for me... yes I am that old, lol). Got rid of most of my drapey T's which although they were still a sz small make me look like I might be a 'first-time preggers' skinny chick. You know, those first time mommas who put on the maternity clothes even though they don't have a tummy yet, lol. Apologies to all the pregnant women out there - but I NEVER want anyone to mistake me for a pregnant woman, even a non-showing first timer.

This made me lol :) I am doing my second round of the neons as well - the first was middle school for me... and I am totally in agreement with the drapy tees...

Colors have changed as well, I am now OK with pinks and brighter colors that I would have never worn before

except green, that color just has never worked for me along with the pale yellows...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Yes! Forgot to mention that the lingerie has gotten an upgrade, too.

definitely!
  • seltzermint555
    I have only lost some of the weight but I already notice I wear less sweatshirts. My go-to has always been sweatshirts and jeans because of my huge spare tire. Now I feel more normal shaped and actually wear tshirts alone. I can't wait to lose the rest and see what I can wear!

Very exciting!! I know what you're saying totally...that's kind of how I am with the cardigan thing, too. I used to own a ton of sleeveless dresses and tops because I knew I'd be layering on top of them. Now I'd rather just shop around for things that fit and have a real sleeve, because I probably won't be layering.

I also have a zero hoodies rule in my wardrobe hehe
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Example of my change of style below.... Being able to buy clothes I like, rather than whatever fits is the best feeling!

From >
    0d01cc28-6847-467f-9fa1-cb3e3fd81e63_zpsd9a4f167.jpg

To >
    7a312f79-c9ef-4860-b164-750b8c7acf2b_zpsa9469742.jpg
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Just a ot more sporty.. seeing as in my spare time I'm always outside really.. I need a wardrobe to match
  • seltzermint555
    Two of the biggest for me are I tuck in my shirts and wear short or sleeveless tops, something I didn't do before. I'm wearing the same type of jeans just 4 sizes smaller, cause I have them in all sizes LOL. I did buy a pair of size 8 skinny jeans that fit but not comfortable enough to wear all day. The other day I actually went into a store in my danskin exercise capris and my 14 year old remarked she was shocked LOL Now if I can find shorts I like, seems they are either to the knee or too short. I'm in my 50s so too short doesn't cut it for me.

seltzermint - BTW 30s is young, I see you comment quite a bit that you are "older", honey that isn't even middle age, let alone "older" :flowerforyou:

LOL thanks lady! I am 37, 38 this Fall...so kind of on the edge of my 40s although honestly I think I'll be like my 63 yr old mom who seems younger because of her energy & some of her interests :-)

I guess what I'm getting at really is more that I'm older when it comes to the juniors clothing & very current styles. I buy/wear a lot of it but I never want to give the impression that I'm in snakeskin Lycra and a "Nightmare Before Christmas" babydoll tee. I am age appropriate, even if I may wear sushi earrings or something else kinda silly.
  • seltzermint555
    I would love to have a stylist work with me to determine what looks good on my new frame. Maybe one-a these days...come on, Lotto!

I know what you mean! I feel pretty confident about my ability to choose clothes but would love some Clinton & Stacy (What Not to Wear) input ;-) Too bad that show's off the air now...
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    I haven't really been changing my style, per say, but I've been rediscovering older clothing that had gotten too snug when I was heavier! I just tried on my "interview clothes" and they fit so nicely! I almost want to go to school in business casual, just because I can! :laugh:

Otherwise, I tend to wear very loose and flowy things. I'm really enjoying looking less bulky and how I look in my old clothes, now. C:
  • seltzermint555
    My style hasn't changed too dramatically but I am trying to dress things up a bit more. Before I mostly wore knit tops (if you ever shopped Fashion Bug you know what I'm talking about) and now I mix it up with more prints, shorter sleeves, cute little embellishments like scallops and lace and such. The rest of my wardrobe is still mostly jeans, t-shirts and sneakers.

Shorts still feel weird to me (capris are more my thing) but I did manage to buy a jean skirt that I plan to wear this summer so that's a step in the right direction. :)

Oh and I don't like heels either - at least not tall spindly ones - I can manage a 1-2 inch heel as long as it's chunky. I'm so looking forward to showing off colorful toes in my cute sandels as soon as it warms up a bit more!

P.S. I also used to love me those boot cuts and now have mostly skinny jeans in my collection.

oh wow I never liked Fashion Bug but I'm glad for you getting away from the blah knit tops ;-)

I'm glad someone understands about heels! I LOVE my ankle boots that have about a 2" heel, I have several pair...but pumps and wedges just aren't me. I like to feel as though I could walk several miles in any given pair of shoes and for me heels just are not comfy enough.

I also have had to get used to shorts all over again. I had a very serious spider bite that left a nasty scar, and I have a tattoo on my calf...so for years I did not wear shorts or knee length skirts. I still don't wear knee length skirts to work without leggings or opaque tights due to the scar & tat...but when I'm on my own time, I LOVE those lengths (and shorts too) because I genuinely like my legs.

The length of skirt I used to wear, somewhere between ankle and mid-calf, is so unflattering on anyone. I cringe now to even think of it.
  • shaynepoole
    snakeskin Lycra and a "Nightmare Before Christmas" babydoll tee. .

I'm not sure anyone should be wearing this combo outside of an aging male rocker :tongue:
  • seltzermint555
    Big time style changes. I went from very neutral to colorful, from long skirts and baggy jeans to dresses, a dab of lipstick to full makeup occasionally including false eye lashes. Even shoes, nails and handbags have had style changes.

I always find it cool & interesting to hear about really drastic changes!! I think whatever works for you, is awesome :-)

I'm kind of on the other side in a way...when I was at my largest sizes, I was really into makeup and I am a lot more natural now, although I still wear makeup there are times that I just have a minimal amount on. I also used to switch out my bags, shoes, and nail polish almost EVERY day and now I'm more lax. I still like all of that stuff but I just seem to put less energy into it.

Jewelry & accessories is another area where I have had to make adjustments. I used to feel that long pendant necklaces were flattering on me but now they look CRAZY. I now tend to wear shorter, smaller necklaces.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member

How has your style/wardrobe changed?

I love shopping the petite section where I know everything will fit nicely :smile: I love wearing athletic wear so indulged in several pieces including a skort that quickly became one of my favourite. I really like the dry weave wicking technology! I can see wearing a lot of athletic wear this summer.
  • seltzermint555
    Example of my change of style below.... Being able to buy clothes I like, rather than whatever fits is the best feeling!

From >

To >

WOW! Huge changes...you should win the award for that. Lookin' good!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    I wear more dresses and skirts now and actually bought a few Maxi dresses which I wouldn't wear before. I love how defined my arms are now as well, so I tend to wear no sleeve more than I did in the past. I haven't quite crossed to the shorts yet (My legs have always been big) but I think I will at some point as they jiggle less... lol. I also can't get my head around skinny jeans - not sure I ever will, I have always been a boot cut girl, mostly for my boots... not sure that will change :wink:
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    The shape of my legs has changed so dramatically that knee-length skirts, which used to look ultra-frumpy on me, now look ... whisper it ... cute. Like, "Look at all that fabric flipping around in the breeze! She looks like a yogurt ad" cute. I just bought three knee-length skirts!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I I buy/wear a lot of it but I never want to give the impression that I'm in snakeskin Lycra and a "Nightmare Before Christmas" babydoll tee.

LOL now there's a picture
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

From >

To >

You have one of the most amazing transformations I have seen.
  • seltzermint555
    I I buy/wear a lot of it but I never want to give the impression that I'm in snakeskin Lycra and a "Nightmare Before Christmas" babydoll tee.

LOL now there's a picture

Seriously...so many women my age in my area seem to think stuff like that is perfectly fine. SO wrong! LOL
  • seltzermint555
    The shape of my legs has changed so dramatically that knee-length skirts, which used to look ultra-frumpy on me, now look ... whisper it ... cute. Like, "Look at all that fabric flipping around in the breeze! She looks like a yogurt ad" cute. I just bought three knee-length skirts!

Yessss! Awesome feeling :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I wear more athletic and form fitted cuts as well as slim cuts for my dress clothes and some of my jeans. I'm also far more comfortable in a pair of regular biking shorts than I used to be and I wear jammers for swimming these days though If I'm just hanging out at a pool party or something I will wear my baggy board shorts.
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member

From >

To >

You have one of the most amazing transformations I have seen.

Thank you very much.
  • Insomniac8
    Insomniac8 Posts: 182
    OK this might seems odd but I keep buying loose tops. You know those tops that show a little of your bra and have a real soft fiber? I've always liked them but being a little chubby, they made me look fat! Now I feel more comfortable wearing them.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I stopped wearing clothes
  • Insomniac8
    Insomniac8 Posts: 182
    I stopped wearing clothes

I like the idea! :v
  • seltzermint555
    OK this might seems odd but I keep buying loose tops. You know those tops that show a little of your bra and have a real soft fiber? I've always liked them but being a little chubby, they made me look fat! Now I feel more comfortable wearing them.

I'm not sure what these are...would probably need to see one to know for sure. You look amazing in your profile pic...wow! I definitely don't have that kinda thing going on LOL.

But I do know what you mean about certain tops not working out when one is larger vs smaller. Today at work I wore a very drapey almost poncho type of shirt with a pair of skinny jeans and gladiator sandals...no disrespect to my former larger self but I think something like that would have looked like a Halloween costume on me before, and it looked decent today!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Only sizes.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    It's funny that I found this today. I just cleaned out a bunch of my too big clothes out of my closet. Lost all my cool pencil skirts, and tons of pants/jeans ( the ones so big I no longer needed to unsnap/unzip). Along with several tops/sweaters. A cool retro dress :(
    Now I'm kind of scared to go try things on. I know my 12's and 14's are getting too lose. I still want to grab larger tops in the stores then realize they are too big. Even my undies are getting baggy. Though at soon to be 42 I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard but don't want to look to matronly either. LOL I still have my yield sign plaid skinny jeans I found a while back ( super bright neon yellow and black). I guess I just need to hit the Goodwill again.
    68006032.png
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    im exactly the same, but i have zero fashion sense. jeans and graphic tees for dayz