Why I hate Body Fat Percentage!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Using scale weight has all the possible inaccuracies and outside factors that can throw it off that goes with monitoring body fat.

However if you weigh the same way every time, then over time you can get an idea of your general weight even though it will not be exact.

What's wrong with doing the same thing with body fat percentage?

I would trade out your number 4: Scale weight with Body Fat %.

Just tracking with my scale my weight went down 1 lb but my body fat went down 4 %. I also was tracking with photos, clothing size, and measurements. But I get much more excited about losing body fat than I do about weight.

jan-augs_zps65eb6a6a.jpg~320x480

jan-augf_zps827c47ff.jpg~320x480

*edited to fix pictures*

Excellent example of why tracking body fat is more important than weighing. It's the only metric I do track on a regular basis, and since I use the same technique every time, I don't worry about absolute accuracy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Interesting- I know that for me, I have lost maybe 1 lb over the past few months, but with checkins at my gym (having a professional measure body fat with calipers), I have dropped almost 10 % body fat. I am stronger, in good cardio shape, look much smaller, and have dropped a clothing size. And basically have lost no weight.

Seriously? I understand the scale number thing...but really 1 pound makes such difference? I am not doubting your words but it's just too good to be true...

I mean, I would LOVE it if my scale was wrong! But I weight myself once a week, same time of day....and yeah. The difference has really been the body fat for me (I upped my lifting game) anad it is definitely visible. I put on a dress yesterday with short sleeves (which were like a little too tight last year), and it fit perfectly. The shirts that I have purchased recently haven been smalls and extra smalls (except for Theory- why do they run so small!?), the dresses and skirts have all been smalls. They would have all been mediums last summer.

Calipers are not that accurate and they only tell you the fat under the skin you have lost .You clearly loss something though. What about the Visceral fat? Time to take a ride in the body pod for better body fat % results.

Yeah, I know they aren't the MOST accurate- but it was the same trainer doing the same spots with the same calipers plugged into the same equation (I belive 4 spots, each measured 3 times and averaged)....so I think I can at least view this as a trend, even if it isn't 100% accurate. My understanding, at least with visceral fat, was that waist to hip ratio is a big signifier of possible issues without scanning. My last measurement of waist to hip ratio was a .66 (LOW is considered under .72 for my age)- as of two months ago.

In addition, bra size has changed dramatically- from a 36 band size to a 32.

All with pretty much no weight change

So then you have mastered body recomp. It is a awesome feeling. My weight loss this time is like I am barely trying and the fat is melting off. I semi count calories. Never count workout calories. I do not want to buy a cheap HRM or tool to count workout calories if you cannot input lean body mass and body fat%. For my body recomp i do not want to be in the 200s Ib with low body fat and high lean body mass. I could easily get that no problem. That is a easy diet.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    No kidding, that's why we have trend lines... :laugh:

zjbic8.jpg

I weigh in every day at the same time and about the same hydration level. I'm a satisfied customer of body fat %.

is that graph part of some tracking software? or you just plotted your results. been toying with the idea of getting the scale that wireless connects to your computer
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

zjbic8.jpg

I weigh in every day at the same time and about the same hydration level. I'm a satisfied customer of body fat %.

is that graph part of some tracking software? or you just plotted your results. been toying with the idea of getting the scale that wireless connects to your computer

I have a Withings scale (first gen model) that does it. The graph I posted came from their HealthMate website, but they have smartphone apps as well. It also syncs to MFP, but the graphs on MFP don't have trend lines so I don't bother with them.

http://vitrine.withings.com/smart-body-analyzer.html
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

zjbic8.jpg

I have a Withings scale (first gen model) that does it. The graph I posted came from their HealthMate website, but they have smartphone apps as well. It also syncs to MFP, but the graphs on MFP don't have trend lines so I don't bother with them.

monthly fee for the Healthmate website?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Using scale weight has all the possible inaccuracies and outside factors that can throw it off that goes with monitoring body fat.

However if you weigh the same way every time, then over time you can get an idea of your general weight even though it will not be exact.

Just tracking with my scale my weight went down 1 lb but my body fat went down 4 %. I also was tracking with photos, clothing size, and measurements. But I get much more excited about losing body fat than I do about weight.

*edited to fix pictures*

Excellent example of why tracking body fat is more important than weighing. It's the only metric I do track on a regular basis, and since I use the same technique every time, I don't worry about absolute accuracy.

if my changes were so obvious, I would totally ditch my scale...the thing is nothing visually or mathematically changed in my case...so I feel stuck...
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

zjbic8.jpg

I'm not suggesting you should change anything you're doing since it seems to be working for you, but can't you see the trend from the data points alone? I can. Not so much on a day-to-day basis, but over the course of three or four weeks, you have a clearly visible trend, and it seems to be pretty consistent month after month.

I think a lot of people here must agree with you though. I don't think I've seen anyone talking about using MFP's graphs. Other than me, that is.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

*edited to fix pictures*

It looks like you got a tan and sucked in your abs some. Am I missing something?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

*edited to fix pictures*

It looks like you got a tan and sucked in your abs some. Am I missing something?

:huh: You might need your eyesight checked.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

*edited to fix pictures*

if my changes were so obvious, I would totally ditch my scale...the thing is nothing visually or mathematically changed in my case...so I feel stuck...

If your weight, measurements, and visual appearance hasn't changed AT ALL (not Slowly. At all) then you are stuck.

Let's start with logging everything and accurate estimation of calories eaten and used.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Yes.

lol definetly missing something, hoping he knows her and this is sarcasm
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yes.

lol definitely missing something, hoping he knows her and this is sarcasm

LOL. I can't take anybody who gives up their individuality when they get a pet polar bear seriously.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

*edited to fix pictures*

If your weight, measurements, and visual appearance hasn't changed AT ALL (not Slowly. At all) then you are stuck.

Let's start with logging everything and accurate estimation of calories eaten and used.

Not joking. I'm asking honestly. Which is more likely, that the poster lost lets say 10 pounds of fat and gained 9 pounds of muscle in 6 months (just putting numbers in here for the sake of example), or due to tanning, some toning, changes in body hydration over a 6 month period, and posture changes, the after picture looks significantly different than the before picture. In the right side pic her shoulders are pulled back, and her pelvic tilt seems lessened.

I mean, good on her, because she looks a lot better in the right side picture. I'm just sayin.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Not claiming she's misleading us of course, but look at the differences in some of the pics on that site.

http://www.styleite.com/news/before-after-weight-loss-photo-tricks/
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I love body fat percentage.. it helps me not think about how I'm not a typical 5'6" 130lb woman but a beautiful 5'6" 172lb woman. It also helped me not freak out because the scale wasn't moving. To each their own really.. I would love to see more people "freak out" about BF% than "OMG WHY AM I NOT LOSING LB WEIGHT"
  • likitisplit
    Options

*edited to fix pictures*

Not joking. I'm asking honestly. Which is more likely, that the poster lost lets say 10 pounds of fat and gained 9 pounds of muscle in 6 months (just putting numbers in here for the sake of example), or due to tanning, some toning, changes in body hydration over a 6 month period, and posture changes, the after picture looks significantly different than the before picture. In the right side pic her shoulders are pulled back, and her pelvic tilt seems lessened.

I mean, good on her, because she looks a lot better in the right side picture. I'm just sayin.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Not claiming she's misleading us of course, but look at the differences in some of the pics on that site.

Not to be critical of the before pictures, there is a significant difference in cellulite, toning, relative size of the thighs - as a woman, I'm running down the list of things that are trouble areas for me. The first picture has them, the second picture does not. If the after picture was taken, say two years, previous to the before picture - that would be credible. To subscribe all of those changes to hydration? Dude, not possible.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

*edited to fix pictures*

Not joking. I'm asking honestly. Which is more likely, that the poster lost lets say 10 pounds of fat and gained 9 pounds of muscle in 6 months
    (just putting numbers in here for the sake of example), or due to tanning, some toning, changes in body hydration over a 6 month period, and posture changes, the after picture looks significantly different than the before picture. In the right side pic her shoulders are pulled back, and her pelvic tilt seems lessened.

definetly did not put on 9 lbs of muscle, with you there, but she also did not claim that
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I love body fat percentage.. it helps me not think about how I'm not a typical 5'6" 130lb woman but a beautiful 5'6" 172lb woman. It also helped me not freak out because the scale wasn't moving. To each their own really.. I would love to see more people "freak out" about BF% than "OMG WHY AM I NOT LOSING LB WEIGHT"

I freak out because I do not want to keep losing body fat % and still be in the 200s ib. I would look way to muscular. Apparently I already look muscular. Ha this is just the beginning.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Or fail to eat because they want to lose weight at all costs...and don't care if it's muscle, bone density, etc.