I'm a failure

Options

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    How about looking at it this way: did eating like that make you happy? Did you feel better about yourself eating that way? [hint: based on your post, the answer is no!] So just say, today I am going to stay on plan and be happier about myself and my choices. Then you do it again the next day, and the next. Some days aren't perfect--heck, some weeks aren't perfect. You have the rest of your life to work towards perfection.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I deal with this myself a lot. I try to remind myself that weight loss isn't a straight line. It veers off and comes back. It's a natural part of weight loss and is perhaps one of the hardest realities to accept. We're so used to hearing the end results of success stories, that it's easy to forget the struggles that are involved, the ups and downs.

I think you also need to celebrate the small victories, like exercising more days that not or going a whole day without soda, etc. Think of where you where and where you are now. On the surface it may not feel like you've made changes, even when you're falling back into those old habits, but I bet if you look closely enough even those bad habits have shifted some. I look back on my binges that I have now and compare with the past and even though I want to get down on myself for those bad habits, they have changed a little. I only binge on one bag of chips. I drink seltzer instead of soda. I don't have to binge until I feel like my stomach is going to burst. Those are all little bits of progress that are going to help me succeed in the long run. One of my weight loss matras is: 85% of the time is success. It gives me some room to breathe when I slip but it also keeps me focused on my goals.

Also, it sounds like you may have a case of absolutism like I do. Where I either need to be completely self-sabotaging or the perfect diet princess, both of which are not good and are just extremes. You're not a failure by any means, you just need to find the right balance thand tools that work for you, which takes some time and some patience. Perhaps instead of focusing on the numbers on the scale you make goals like trying to limit the days you take off from exercising or lengethening the number of days between junkfood overeating, etc.
  • marianvandalenanderson
    Options
    Wow, look at the support you are receiving! I hope that is the motivation you need to be good to yourself. None of us are perfect and we need support. This is my first day back after three months of wallowing in depression and stress. I have to get some weight off or I will be on medication for diabetes and I just graduated with a minor in Health Education. I know what I need to do and I have a hard time doing it. You are not alone in this struggle to be healthier. Good for you for sharing your feelings. Now, get up and go for a walk! Hugs and smiles to you!:happy: :happy:
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You're only a failure when you quit.

Just because you haven't finished the race doesn't mean you never will- keep going!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    3 days, 3 months, it doesn't matter... this is a marathon, NOT a sprint! it is a lifestyle change. we will have bumps in the road, but the good thing is that we can always get back. we KNOW what's right and it's NOT like getting FIRED from a job!!! no need to continue to beat yourself up over it, just get back TO IT!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have days where I get side tracked- and soon my break becomes a slump- and I get very very dejected by the thought that I haven't done anything.

And then I get even MORE depressed because I haven't MADE myself doing anything.

And honestly the only way I get out of it is just saying at some point- GET UP AND GO DO SOMETHING.

YOU CAN do it- but you just gotta tell yourself today is a new day- and get up and do A thing- any thing- as long as it is A thing.

one positive step today can mean 2 positive steps tomorrow can lead to back on track very quickly.

You got it- go on- allow yourself to be fabulous and kill it!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You've lost 12 pounds already. I don't see the fail.
    Keep going. You will have setbacks. Shrug it off. damage done. Move forward.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Call me extreme but if you really want it, you'll find a way - If you don't, you'll find an excuse!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    AWESOME community. I am brought to tears by these comments from people who don't even know me. I can't believe the support. I really can't. It's amazing.

Hush. We're a bunch of meanies who post cat gifs. Can't have this kind of talk getting out. :wink:

Yeah. If word gets out, we'll get beaten up on the playground!

Seriously, Bigaway, you are not alone in this. Nearly all of us have been where you are in some form or another. Keep your head up!
  • jlovesnyc
    jlovesnyc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We all are vulnerable to blips. A long term solution may be an accountability partner that has been where you are and beaten the weight challenge or someone who is currently on a mission to battle the bulge themselves. Battles are best fought in numbers. I just started using my fitness pal and after three days so far so good, though no weight loss. I'm hoping to hang in there for the long haul.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    It's been 3 days, not a lifetime. Lighten up, and start making one better choice a day. Soon you'll be making several better choices a day and voila, back on track.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    3 days is a very small amount of time in the rest of your life. So what? Three whole days you messed up. Luckily, you have 362 other days in the year to do it right. Giving up only hurts you even further.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Get back on your feet and move forward. I was over my calories before I even left work yesterday at 4 in the afternoon. Then I had a huge burger at Red Robin. *shrugs* It happens. You just remind yourself to get back on track.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    YOU are not a failure. If you get back on track with one meal alone, you are a success. One day at a time.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You are responsible for what you put in your mouth, be an adult and make the decision to do it or don't and continue back to your old ways. Its really very simple.
  • phenomenalwoman89
    phenomenalwoman89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pick one small thing to do to get you back on track. Maybe just walk around the block today. Then tomorrow you can cut out some bad food AND take a walk.
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    One thing that works for me is to look at myself in the bathroom mirror, without pants/shirt on. Look into my own eyes and say you can't lie to yourself inside. Is this how I want to be? If the answer is that you don't care, then you will have a hard time finding the motivation. But if you truly, inside, want to change, then that IS your motivation. That you simply can't live with yourself any longer. Some days, we simply don't care, which is our hardest days. Try writing journals or reasons why you are doing this, things you can read when you're having a hard day.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure. I stopped tracking/ate whatever I wanted for six months. Six months! It'd be easy to beat myself up over it, especially when I realize I'd be at my goal right now if I hadn't done that. But what good do those thoughts do? They're not going to get me to my goal any faster.
    Try and make better choices today. And again tomorrow. It's one day at a time.
    Good luck!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nice support- the fact you posted proves you're not going to let yourself fail- reaching out proves you're in this to win
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You need to look forward and look at the big picture! The big picture being how far you have come! Don't let a couple of days set you back.

Here's my confession: yesterday I ate TWO peanut butter no bake cookies and had two large buckets of diet soda. That was yesterday and I feel bad, but today is a new day, a day to do my best!!! I've learned to not focus on those bad days!