Does the time you eat affect weightloss?

Options
Okay, so I'm on a 1,500 calorie a day diet. I ate my calories yesterday, but I am a night owl who enjoys her 420 and unfortunately, I do sometimes get the munchies. My main point- after midnight I count that as a reset on my calorie intake and I count the calories ate at midnight (or 2am, however late I stay up) as the calories for later that day. I ate at 2am and only have 1,000 calories left. I never go over, so I'm still eating 1,500 calories within a 24 hour period. I know it may be a stupid question, but I don't want anything holding me back. Will eating those calories that late/close to yesterdays calories make me gain or make it a slower weightloss? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nope, the time doesn't affect your weight loss at all. You're at the exact same deficit, it's totally up to you how you space them out! I'm also partial to a 2am munchie when watching a dvd yay for stupidly late munchies :drinker:
  • JamesonEqualsLard
    Options
    Thank you so much! (:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals is irrelevant to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your body responds to energy balance thus operates with a fuel gauge similar to a vehicle. It cares not for when you fill up; what matters is that you provide it with adequate fuel relative to maintenance needs.
  • JamesonEqualsLard
    Options
    Great answers both of you! Thank you guys! I appreciate it! :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It does in the sense that meal timing can have an effect on how satiated you feel and how satiated you feel can have an affect on how easy it is for you to hit your calorie goal. Its personal for everyone though, for me I like eating 5 times a day to stay satiated but others will prefer eating only twice a day and that is fine too.

There is no magic hour for fat loss or "bad" hour for fat gain. Spread your calorie budget out in such a way that you feel satisfied, that is it.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As others have said time doesn't really matter. I am one who if I eat breakfast I am starving all day, but if I wait to eat till lunch I do much better and it has not effected me at all.
  • JamesonEqualsLard
    Options
    Thanks for both the answers above me! I appreciate all input.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily disagree with everyone. Exercise and a good nutrition plan is by far the dominate factor. However, check out this article. http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37269/title/Out-of-Sync/
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    No.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I look at my net for the week; I'm supposed to eat around 11,000 per week for my goals. Right now I'm around 600 under my weekly goal. So even if I decided to eat a snack at 2AM, as long as I'm still at a deficit the end of the week, it works for me!

I've found that eating at certain times has not slowed me down in the least.
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    As others have said time doesn't really matter. I am one who if I eat breakfast I am starving all day, but if I wait to eat till lunch I do much better and it has not effected me at all.

i'm the same ^^^
    but have started eating breakfast now because i'm starving after going to the gym in the morning!!
    As long as you dont go over your daily calorie allowance you should be fine..x
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You disagree with everyone because you are wrong and they are right. Sorry.
    [/quote]

Obviously you didn't take time to read the article.

Few environmental factors are as reliable as the 24-hour day, and an evolutionary argument can be made for why the diurnal rhythms of the Earth’s rotation are so coupled with human metabolism. Our behavior, our physiology, and our biochemistry reflect the daily cycles of the planet, and people who fall out of sync with these cycles are more likely to suffer from diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. Gastrointestinal disorders, depression, and other ailments are also more common among people who don’t have normal sleep habits. But according to new research, it’s not just disrupted sleep that can lead to these myriad physiological symptoms; it’s also the altered patterns of food consumption that go along with keeping such strange hours.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Food and calories are oblivious to time. As long as you're consistent about when your 24 hour period is within which to consume your calories, you're fine.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Food and calories are oblivious to time. As long as you're consistent about when your 24 hour period is within which to consume your calories, you're fine.

....unless you're a GREMLIN!! Don't feed those after midnight !!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Obviously you didn't take time to read the article.

Few environmental factors are as reliable as the 24-hour day, and an evolutionary argument can be made for why the diurnal rhythms of the Earth’s rotation are so coupled with human metabolism. Our behavior, our physiology, and our biochemistry reflect the daily cycles of the planet, and people who fall out of sync with these cycles are more likely to suffer from diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. Gastrointestinal disorders, depression, and other ailments are also more common among people who don’t have normal sleep habits. But according to new research, it’s not just disrupted sleep that can lead to these myriad physiological symptoms; it’s also the altered patterns of food consumption that go along with keeping such strange hours.

Sooo....you're suggesting that someone who is in a calorie deficit overall is going to gain weight because they stay up late? "Cuz that was the question...and if indeed that is what you are suggesting then you really don't understand any of this.[/quote]
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    no
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you are a purely logical person and stick to the plan then time of eating has no bearing on whether you are likely to put on weight eating at a certain time.

Having said that - I know I become far less logical after around 10pm so I am far more likely to blow my resolve and eat junk after 10pm. So - for me - yes, eating after 10pm I am more likely to put on weight, so I avoid doing so. But it is because of the stupid things I am prone to eat late at night rather than the time of day/night I choose to eat.