Does the time you eat affect weightloss?

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Which number post was this?
    You do not wake up hungry. I wake up starving and if I do not eat within a half hour my body does something where my stomach feels awful to the point where I have to drink water slowly. There is debate going on now that is trying to figure out if eating smaller frequent meal is better than three standards meal. My nutrition class says it makes no difference but it does for me. I have no fact about it but I think skipping breakfast decline metabolism a lot and when you eat lunch it will digest very slowly because there is a such thing as starvation mode. There are articles on that. I know in me that my body definitely has a starvation mode point.

Because this is the discussion that you and I have been having for the past two pages.

Also, as previously noted, your very first post was equally wrong.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I said the timing pre and post workout meals do affect weight loss.

Please PLEASE stop spreading misinformation. PLEASE.

It's one thing for someone with 23 posts to pop in the forums every once in a blue moon and talk about some bs, but you are doing it constantly.

PLEASE find the most successful people on this site and see what their doing. There's probably a nice range of technique but the bottom line IS calories.

Yesterday I worked out fasted (like I do often)...I have 70 calories when I worked out at 3:00 p.m. I had 70 calories TOTAL before I did cleans, squats, and push presses THEN ran stadiums, kettlebells, ball slams, and weighted lunges.

I eat like a pig at NIGHT.

I'm losing post-baby weight right now. I know what works for me (and a million other people)....because I've not been overweight and unfit since college (12 years ago and wasn't overweight before then) and have maintained my body, fitness, and weight in that amount of time.

I'M DOING THIS LONG TERM. THIS IS MY LIFE.

There's no "well, see what happens in your future results" for me. This is what I do.
  • kdbnmd
    kdbnmd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I miss my 420..not the munchies though =)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You do not wake up hungry. I wake up starving and if I do not eat within a half hour my body does something where my stomach feels awful to the point where I have to drink water slowly. There is debate going on now that is trying to figure out if eating smaller frequent meal is better than three standards meal. My nutrition class says it makes no difference but it does for me. I have no fact about it but I think skipping breakfast decline metabolism a lot and when you eat lunch it will digest very slowly because there is a such thing as starvation mode. There are articles on that. I know in me that my body definitely has a starvation mode point.

Because this is the discussion that you and I have been having for the past two pages.

First post was what I read out of my nutrition book which is up to date.
  • jknightoz
    jknightoz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is a little more involved. It depends on the type of calories and how soon after you eat do you sleep. If you stay up until 2 am, smoke weed, eat high sugar/high carb snacks and then go to bed, you will not be doing your body or diet any favors, regardless of if you go over your calorie limit or not. I give my body about a 12-hr window to consume my daily calories. That results in a 12-hr fast every day. I wake up between 3am and 4am. I hit the gym and have eaten breakfast by 6:00 am. I eat dinner around 6pm and fall asleep between 9pm-10pm. That gives me about 3 hours to get my metabolism up for the day before consuming and about 3 hours for my body to process dinner before I put it to bed. If I have calories left over and I eat something between dinner and bed, I always have worse results because I've cut into the 12-hr fast where my body uses stored calories to keep it functioning. Just something to think about.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

First post was what I read out of my nutrition book which is up to date.

And the second post, along with all those that followed, in which you were speaking about breakfast and timing your meals so that you could increase your metabolism?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

This gentleman, a professor, lost significant weight eating the absolute most crap diet imaginable, by using the simple formula of calories in < calories out. I wonder how he timed his Twinkies.
    For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.
    His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
    The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    1750 is my goal with no exercise. I apparently workout at a very advance level. Roommates talking smack had to prove them wrong with my jump rope by doing 60 revolution jumps in 20 sec. Which is nothing I can do 100 revolution in 30 sec. My workouts increase my metabolism. I am solely working out to increase it even more and keep my muscles that I training years for.
    I'm sorry but this claim is ludicrous. You are now making claims that you train at such and advanced level and that you can jump rope at a rate that is professional boxer status. Really? I think it's time for you to upload this proof. You think that your workouts somehow increase your metabolism higher than other people can, I'm not even sure how you can make this claim, as if you were an anomaly.
    You post this as if we don't know that already. The thing is you have no idea how many calories you are actually eating nor do you know what you actually burn.

As snuggle has said various times, you keep avoiding actually addressing things being said to you. You just keep throwing random information out there.

Why should I have nothing to prove. Now if you bet then yeah that's a reason to prove. Last night wasn't a bet but I have a recurring dream of walking on to my college football team when I go there next year. I had to show them where my fitness is at. Professional boxer are at least twice as fast then me and I have been jump roping for more than 8 months. I have been lifting weight for more almost 8 years with a 17 month rehad from a torn pec.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    1750 is my goal with no exercise. I apparently workout at a very advance level. Roommates talking smack had to prove them wrong with my jump rope by doing 60 revolution jumps in 20 sec. Which is nothing I can do 100 revolution in 30 sec. My workouts increase my metabolism. I am solely working out to increase it even more and keep my muscles that I training years for.
    I'm sorry but this claim is ludicrous. You are now making claims that you train at such and advanced level and that you can jump rope at a rate that is professional boxer status. Really? I think it's time for you to upload this proof. You think that your workouts somehow increase your metabolism higher than other people can, I'm not even sure how you can make this claim, as if you were an anomaly.
    You post this as if we don't know that already. The thing is you have no idea how many calories you are actually eating nor do you know what you actually burn.

As snuggle has said various times, you keep avoiding actually addressing things being said to you. You just keep throwing random information out there.

Why should I have nothing to prove. Now if you bet then yeah that's a reason to prove. Last night wasn't a bet but I have a recurring dream of walking on to my college football team when I go there next year. I had to show them where my fitness is at. Professional boxer are at least twice as fast then me and I have been jump roping for more than 8 months. I have been lifting weight for more almost 8 years with a 17 month rehad from a torn pec.

None of that addresses your statement that skipping breakfast slows your metabolism, or that smaller more frequent meals increases it, or that if you skip breakfast your body goes into starvation mode. Perhaps you should speak with your football coach about these issues so that he can correct these blatantly wrong beliefs.
  • omgliam
    omgliam Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff. All that it requires is being 100% honest with your calorie intake and tuning it to your body.

I see a lot of people posting on these forums about all these tiny little inconsequential things they can do to try and help improve their weight loss process. It always feels like they're needlessly over complicating the process and their lives.

Move more. Eat less. You will get smaller.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

You make outlandish claims then say you have nothing to prove? That makes no sense at all.

You say you can jump 100 revolutions in 30 seconds, so that's 200 a minute. You're claiming pro boxers jump 400 per minute? Again, really? Where? Who? Back that claim up.

So I'm supposed to make an online bet with you for money so you can prove something? Lol. Yea okay. I'm not even going to ask you where your lift numbers are now. I know where they were 2 weeks ago, which was lackluster for 8 years of training, but I'm sure you'll just provide some outlandish E Stats.

Also, you are still not addressing the misinformation snuggle is calling you out on.

The funniest part is that he posted this in another thread:
    There is the whole calories in calories out that kinda of works for weight loss. There are other factors to look at during this journey. Fitness is underrated in my opinion.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

You make outlandish claims then say you have nothing to prove? That makes no sense at all.

You say you can jump 100 revolutions in 30 seconds, so that's 200 a minute. You're claiming pro boxers jump 400 per minute? Again, really? Where? Who? Back that claim up.

So I'm supposed to make an online bet with you for money so you can prove something? Lol. Yea okay. I'm not even going to ask you where your lift numbers are now. I know where they were 2 weeks ago, which was lackluster for 8 years of training, but I'm sure you'll just provide some outlandish E Stats.

Also, you are still not addressing the misinformation snuggle is calling you out on.

Do you know what I just said I tore a muscle. Do you know what happens when muscle tear in your body. Clearly you do not.

OK Snuggle So when you eat your body increases in temperature. It is called thermogenesis.

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/metabolism-tips.shtml that explains it better than can.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

As far as my lifting progress. It's sitll increasing and still losing fat and still losing weight scale.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I don't know. Im sure there are some boxers up there. There is a difference between doing 100 revolution in 30 sec and doing 200 in sec. The 200 in 60 sec takes a combo on strength and endurance. I did not jump rope for endurance I do Tabata HIIT 20 sec hard 10 sec complete stop. I stop when I cannot stay with a certain number on the first set.
  • MindyRH
    MindyRH Posts: 15
    Options
    You disagree with everyone because you are wrong and they are right. Sorry.

Obviously you didn't take time to read the article.

Few environmental factors are as reliable as the 24-hour day, and an evolutionary argument can be made for why the diurnal rhythms of the Earth’s rotation are so coupled with human metabolism. Our behavior, our physiology, and our biochemistry reflect the daily cycles of the planet, and people who fall out of sync with these cycles are more likely to suffer from diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. Gastrointestinal disorders, depression, and other ailments are also more common among people who don’t have normal sleep habits. But according to new research, it’s not just disrupted sleep that can lead to these myriad physiological symptoms; it’s also the altered patterns of food consumption that go along with keeping such strange hours.
    [/quote]

I had heard this before from a dietitian.