Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• kallygat
    kallygat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With relation to this topic AND calories burned by exercise:

I noticed that this app focuses on NET calories (I.e calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise). I am not sure whether to go by the total amount of calories eaten or the net calories.... I am trying to stick to 1100 cals a day, and 30min to 60mins brisk walking. When I add the exercise this app subtracts calories (often 500 to 700) off my actual intake then tells me I haven't eaten enough.

Do I follow total calories or net calories?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

I noticed that this app focuses on NET calories (I.e calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise). I am not sure whether to go by the total amount of calories eaten or the net calories.... I am trying to stick to 1100 cals a day, and 30min to 60mins brisk walking. When I add the exercise this app subtracts calories (often 500 to 700) off my actual intake then tells me I haven't eaten enough.

I don't bother worrying about all the number. I just pick a reasonable number, say 10 calories per lb you weigh, and eat that number every day. If after a few weeks I've lost no weight, I decrease the number. Repeat this process until you are losing weight at a reasonable pace. 1100 calories is really going to be quite low for all but the most petite women. Unless you are around 5'1 or less and working on your last 10 lbs, 1100 calories is probably too low.
  • atroanirbas
    atroanirbas Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

I don't bother worrying about all the number. I just pick a reasonable number, say 10 calories per lb you weigh, and eat that number every day. If after a few weeks I've lost no weight, I decrease the number. Repeat this process until you are losing weight at a reasonable pace. 1100 calories is really going to be quite low for all but the most petite women. Unless you are around 5'1 or less and working on your last 10 lbs, 1100 calories is probably too low.

• atroanirbas
    atroanirbas Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So is it true that you need to do at least 30 minutes straight exercise before u get a real calorie burn?
  • aurora1111616
    aurora1111616 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am so confused on how this works. my total calorie intake is 1200 but if i eat 1600 and burn 400 i'm still at my goal of 1200 right? will I still lose weight if i meet my goal of 1200 everyday as long as i burn off to make it 1200? for example today cal goal is 1200. i ate 1900 but burned off 900 in exercise. so net is 1000. thats good right? eventually i will lose weight right? or do i ignore the burn part and just focus on the calories and make sure i'm not eating more than 1200 a day?
  • vismal
    Options
    So is it true that you need to do at least 30 minutes straight exercise before u get a real calorie burn?
    No. Your body burns calories all day every day. The amount of time you do cardio effects how much calories you burn, but you are always burning them.
    I am so confused on how this works. my total calorie intake is 1200 but if i eat 1600 and burn 400 i'm still at my goal of 1200 right? will I still lose weight if i meet my goal of 1200 everyday as long as i burn off to make it 1200? for example today cal goal is 1200. i ate 1900 but burned off 900 in exercise. so net is 1000. thats good right? eventually i will lose weight right? or do i ignore the burn part and just focus on the calories and make sure i'm not eating more than 1200 a day?
    see my previous comment about just picking a reasonable number and seeing what happens, then adjusting based on results.

• kallygat
    kallygat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No. Your body burns calories all day every day. The amount of time you do cardio effects how much calories you burn, but you are always burning them.
    see my previous comment about just picking a reasonable number and seeing what happens, then adjusting based on results.

But what we are trying to work out is do we go by TOTAL calories we set to eat daily, or the NET calories (I.e. total food eaten (eg 1100) minus exercise (eg 500) = which means I habe only reallt eaten net calories of 600 that day).

Sorry if I keep confusing people.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I saw a food scale at a thrift store the other day. I almost purchased it for 45 cents. I am going back to get it, but my hubby is going to bring something to weigh and will weigh it with the weigh bowl on it set to 0. Although I have been pretty close because I did lose 2 lbs in the last 4 days (so I think), but I would like to be more accurate. I could also be cheating myself out of calories I could have. I generally round up just to be sure. Great topic and very helpful.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

But what we are trying to work out is do we go by TOTAL calories we set to eat daily, or the NET calories (I.e. total food eaten (eg 1100) minus exercise (eg 500) = which means I habe only reallt eaten net calories of 600 that day).

I think it depends on which "method" you want to use. MFP expects you to eat (at least some of) your earned exercise calories back. Vismal is suggesting you just pick a reasonable calorie amount and stick to it, letting your activity determine how many calories you need a day and at what point you'll lose on a regular basis. This is pretty much the TDEE minus 15 or 20 percent method.

I think the downside to MFP's method is you may not select the correct activity level to begin with and/or you may overestimate your calories burned.

One way to adjust calories while still using the MFP method is to increase or decrease your activity level, depending on how you lose, or adjust the pounds you want to lose each week.

As an example, I'll give you my current situation. I've lost about 60 pounds and weigh just under 170. I am sedentary, maybe lightly active. If I chose sedentary and set the goal to lose 1 pound a week, MFP gives me a 1200 calorie allowance (I'm 64 btw so my calorie goal is a bit lower) which is really more like 1150 according to my Fitbit, but MFP won't set a calorie goal below 1200. BUT, if I change my activity level to lightly active and increase my pounds per week loss goal to 1.5, MFP STILL gives me 1200 as a daily calorie goal. So, its pretty easy to see that in order to see a weekly loss above 1/2 pound I need to eat around 1200 calories.

If I walk a mile a day I can eat a couple hundred calories, maybe a few hundred more and still lose. Its up to me to move enough to either get more to eat or lose more each week.

55835802.png

• vismal
    Options

You just pick a number, and eat that number. That's it. You don't eat back exercise calories or deviate from the number at all. If your number is 1700, eat 1700 calories every day for a few weeks. If you lose weight, great! Keep eating 1700. If you do not, reduce to 1600 and repeat. If you get to the point where your number is low enough that you really should be losing weight and you aren't, reread the initial guide and make sure you are tracking accurately.
  • Luya86
    Luya86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great post.....I totally agree with you in everything u have said!!
  • cantrall69
    Options
    RiniSixxx wrote: »
    This was so helpful! The condiment trick is genius. I do hope you could add exercise estimates eventually (if you're knowledgeable on that subject) because that's so hard to track. Would we maybe reverse the adding 10% like you did with the food and subtract 10% of the exercise calories? Definitely sticky this!

• NeilyAnn
    NeilyAnn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for the helpful post .. needed the extra reminders
  • bluj26
    bluj26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this info! I have been logging my food on MFP for over 40 days straight and I am losing...slowly...but I think getting a kitchen scale would really help. I have been on this journey for a long time now and finally have the right mindset to keep going forward. So any extra tip in the right direction helps. Thank you!
  • ChescasFeather
    ChescasFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Some of this seems so obvious and yet we all look over it so thank you for putting it out there and so simply :)
    x
  • retailwizard1
    retailwizard1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with with my weight almost my whole life. . Love food... and you don't realize how small portions really are... good way to make sure calorie counts are accurate for me are packages that tell you the count of the item to the calories... like 5 pieces is 100 calories or 8 pieces is 50 calories... much easier to count out and stop and love the individual serving bags of nuts, crackers, etc... makes things easier
  • vismal
    Options
    I have been struggling with with my weight almost my whole life. . Love food... and you don't realize how small portions really are... good way to make sure calorie counts are accurate for me are packages that tell you the count of the item to the calories... like 5 pieces is 100 calories or 8 pieces is 50 calories... much easier to count out and stop and love the individual serving bags of nuts, crackers, etc... makes things easier
    You have to be careful doing that. Many times the packages lie. I have a snack I eat frequently, greek yogurt bites. The package states 1 serving is 9 bites or 40 grams. They are 190 calories per serving. When I weigh the bites out, 6 of them weigh 40 grams so eating 9 would about 285 calories. That's almost 100 calories off. Now that seems insignificant, but it really isn't. If I eat them 10 times in a month, that's 1000 calories. And that is just 1 single food. If I have a few other foods with similar discrepancies, then I've possible eaten away a sizable portion, if not all, of my caloric deficit. I'm glad you brought this up because it just shows how careful you must be with tracking calories, and why so many people think they are eating so little and not losing weight. 9 times out of 10, when you aren't losing weight, and your calories indicate you should be, you are eating too much. Most often it's because you don't even realize you are doing it!
  • starsarai720
    starsarai720 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The packages lie?!?!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The packages lie?!?!

Yep! I could've gone my whole life without knowing that :laugh:

• starsarai720
    starsarai720 Posts: 31 Member