Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I keep a look out for your posts; always great.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Right now I don't weigh things (just haven't gotten around to buying the scale yet) However I still have quite a bit to lose and I am losing pretty steadily so far so good. Am I right to assume the closer I get to my goal, I'll have to be more exact?
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    You ALWAYS post something informative and helpful! I'm loving it! :drinker:
  • ericalyn73
    ericalyn73 Posts: 79
    Options
    Very good info. Accurate, consistent tracking works every time.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    In case some are not aware, there are many entries in the database which were entered by MFP (no *) for liquids such as milk & oil. I weigh EVERYTHING not just solids. There are very few things that don't have a standard MFP entry if you know how to search.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Great post - more people need to read this!
  • RiniSixxx
    RiniSixxx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This was so helpful! The condiment trick is genius. I do hope you could add exercise estimates eventually (if you're knowledgeable on that subject) because that's so hard to track. Would we maybe reverse the adding 10% like you did with the food and subtract 10% of the exercise calories? Definitely sticky this!
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You talked about the 20% margin of error on food labels. Do you use the label for the nutrient information or a govt website?
  • tatecass
    tatecass Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I recommend grams because regardless of if the serving size is 3 cups, 2 pieces, 1 container, 4 oz, it will always give a number in grams in parenthesis. Since you always have a number in grams it saves you the trouble of having to convert from grams to ounces all the time. Plus if the serving is something like 22 grams, that's going to be .78571 ounces. Not a fun number to deal with...

Makes sense. I have always just rounded up when it comes out to a weird number like that. Now in order to change all the entries in my diary would probably be a nightmare, but going forward I will weigh in grams. Thanks for your help and responding so quickly!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. Thank you for posting this!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread. Everyone posting "Halp, I am not losing weight!?" should be directed here.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Bump to Keep this thread going. Should be mandatory read for newcomers
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    They should sticky this in the"getting started"
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    it doesn't take self control and movtivation to weigh in grams it takes a kitchen scale on the kitchen counter and habit...
    [/quote]

This.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Good advice all around, Vismal. After reading this I started making my usual morning smoothie. ON protein calls their serving size a "heaping scoop." I've always wondered how much heaping that meant, if at all. I thought they might be tricking you into over-serving yourself. But no. This thread motivated me to finally weigh my protein powder. It turns out that 33 grams is as much powder as you can possibly balance above and beyond the scoop. I've been under-serving myself all these months.
  • Irishb118
    Irishb118 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post! I did a copy and past so I can print it out and put it in my binder of useful information! YES, I still do things in a binder as well as online. For me it is helpful. Thanks again!