Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

As far as calories burned, I don't track them for the reason you pointed out, accuracy.

But if you don't track exercise calories, doesn't that create an even bigger inaccuracy?

I don't track my strength training, which I don't think is all that many calories anyway. But I do track my Fitbit calories (usually around 1000 daily) and my bicycling calories (not that I've done much cycling so far this year). I'm guessing that it all evens out to be somewhere in the right ballpark.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

As far as calories burned, I don't track them for the reason you pointed out, accuracy.

But if you don't track exercise calories, doesn't that create an even bigger inaccuracy?

I don't track my strength training, which I don't think is all that many calories anyway. But I do track my Fitbit calories (usually around 1000 daily) and my bicycling calories (not that I've done much cycling so far this year). I'm guessing that it all evens out to be somewhere in the right ballpark.
    I find it's easier to create my deficit entirely through diet and use formal cardio as a bonus. I feel comfortable losing 1-2 lbs a week unless I get very lean in which case I shoot for 0.5-1. I simply set my calories at below estimated TDEE not counting formal cardio. That accounts for my 1st pound. Any formal cardio will account for anywhere from 0-1 lb depending on how much I do. So even if I do no cardio at all or lots of cardio, I'm still in the 1-2 lbs a week range. If my weight stalls for long enough to rule out water retention then I can safely assume my TDEE is lower then I estimated so I reduce calories. The only issue with this strategy would be for endurance athletes who potentially burn more then 3500 calories a week through formal cardio. I am nowhere near that. It makes it easier for me to only need to worry about calories in because my day to day activity is consistent enough year long that my TDEE doesn't change much. I rarely have to readjust calories.
  • jim180155
    Options
    It makes it easier for me to only need to worry about calories in because my day to day activity is consistent enough year long that my TDEE doesn't change much. I rarely have to readjust calories.

Okay, your answer makes sense. This last part (above) is the reason I haven't used the TDEE approach; I'm still too inconsistent. My strength training goes in spurts. My bike riding should be increasing dramatically now that better weather is finally here. And all my walking is motivated by earning 1000 or so calories that I can eat back at dinner. If I went to TDEE, I'm pretty sure my 7 daily miles would quickly become 2 or 3. But extra bike riding should more than offset less walking. Unless the weather gets bad again ...

I don't see me using TDEE anytime soon. I'm partly motivated by fitness, but I may be more motivated by logging calories that I can eat back.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

For clarity, you wrote this in your initial post:
    Final thoughts: Counting calories is in my opinion the best thing one can do to help lose weight.

I don't disagree with calorie counting. I just think recommending it in absolute terms is silly....for the reasons I specified. Perhaps you should re-read what you actually wrote.

Kind of funny that you don't know what "absolute terms" means.

And kind of sad that no matter how much effort someone puts into a constructive, helpful post, thread drift cannot be prohibited or controlled.

^^^This!!

Vismal , thank you very much for taking the time to post this very helpful information! I will weigh my whey tomorrow for sure...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Solid.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    In. This is great info and I agree with those saying it should be stickied.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is terrific info! I have stalled a tad in my weight loss and realize I am probably not being accurate with my counting. I do weigh some things, but need to weigh ALL things. I also eat out a few times a week and I'm going to have to overestimate those meals just to be safe.

Thanks!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One thing I would add. Even if you are the type of person who doesn't believe calories in calories out or thinks that you have some condition where the nutritional values of things do not apply to you this actually gives you, in my opinion, even MORE reason to meticulously track and count all of your calories.

Why? Well because if you accurately count all of your calories while simultaneously accurately tracking your weight and fat loss you have all the readouts you need to see what "a calorie" means to your body. Perhaps you are right and that 75 calories on the box is treated like it is 150 calories by your body...but now you will know for sure because you will be able to relate your weight loss (or maintenance or gain) directly to your caloric intake.

When you know how many calories you maintain at you can adjust to dial in your weight loss even if your body treats each calorie differently somehow.
  • jim180155
    Options
    One thing I would add. Even if you are the type of person who doesn't believe calories in calories out or thinks that you have some condition where the nutritional values of things do not apply to you this actually gives you, in my opinion, even MORE reason to meticulously track and count all of your calories?

Why? Well because if you accurately count all of your calories while simultaneously accurately tracking your weight and fat loss you have all the readouts you need to see what "a calorie" means to your body. Perhaps you are right and that 75 calories on the box is treated like it is 150 calories by your body...but now you will know for sure because you will be able to relate your weight loss (or maintenance or gain) directly to your caloric intake.

When you know how many calories you maintain at you can adjust to dial in your weight loss even if your body treats each calorie differently somehow.

Interesting. I like that. I wish more people would try that before considering throwing in the towel because they think the system doesn't work.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eh, I don't know. Calorie Counting has some pretty obvious advantages. Assuming a lack of complicating factors (e.g. metabolic disorders) along with consistent and relatively accurate logging, counting calories has a very strong rational appeal. Problem >> Data >> Math >> Solution. Fairly simple. Note that the complication factors don't negate an approach centered around looking at the energy balance of a system; it just makes it less simple.

What's simple isn't always what's easy, though. For instance, I could:

-get burned out on counting calories because I have enough other stuff going in my day-to-day.
    -become obsessive about tiny inaccuracies.
    -End up feeling weird about a natural process (Hunger >> eat) being dictated by a more analytical approach.

All of that is about how someone "feels" which can end up being incompatible with calorie counting. That kind of stress doesn't always have an on/off switch. There is some appeal to following a set of guidelines that isn't based on calories. Obviously it works the same way. To lose weight, you're burning more than you take in. But if I am burned out on counting calories, and I'm left with following hunger signals and satiety as a means of helping me lose weight, then "food quality" becomes more important for reasons apart from overall health, getting my micros, and getting enough fiber.

In no way am I a clean eater just for my own personal ideology. I love my processed foods. But, in my experience, the more highly processed foods that I enjoy also tend to be more energy-dense and less satiating per calorie. For those reasons, if I need a calorie counting break, I kind of have to eat more clean to both stay in a deficit and not feel starved.

Sometimes my inner geek is jazzed by the fact that I scan something, weigh something, track it, and even plot out calories over time. And sometimes there's enough other crap going on in my life that I need to leave the lab coat in the office, so to speak, and not put that much thought into whether I can work the math in some way to fit a brownie into my day; it's easier to just to say that for the a few weeks, I'll stick to an apple instead of a brownie just because I know the apple will fill me up faster on a calorie-per-calorie basis.

That part of it is all personal preference, but personal preference is a pretty major factor. For that reason, I would have trouble telling any individual that calorie counting is best without first having a conversation with them about their life and their eating habits.
    I wrote a very detailed response about why I disagree with almost everything you said but then decided not to post it. As I wrote in the original post, this thread is not about debating whether or not you should calorie count or whether or not it's the best way for anyone to go about losing weight. It's simply about what I believe is the best way to enact calorie counting. If you want to debate whether or not someone should or should not calorie count I would ask you please start a new thread.

I'd love to hear what you disagree with. While I like your original post for the most part, I think the reply you're quoting is spot on and I'd be curious what you don't agree with.
  • jim180155
    Options

I'd love to hear what you disagree with. While I like your original post for the most part, I think the reply you're quoting is spot on and I'd be curious what you don't agree with.

So start a new thread. I don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand. But if you or Evan starts a new thread, I for one will be happy to tell you what I find objectionable in that post.
  • SideSteel
    Options

So start a new thread. I don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand. But if you or Evan starts a new thread, I for one will be happy to tell you what I find objectionable in that post.

Sounds good, I'll do that.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I was unaware that direct responses to something in the initial post were out of line. Noted.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Here you go:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1298097-methodology-in-diet
  • FreezeHer
    FreezeHer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
    I used to weight some foods and mostly eyeball the rest.
    NEVER AGAIN! :wink:
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Digital Scale is the way to go. Weighing everything is easy (and much easier than using measuring cups-- except for liquids). I just grab a bowl and add items-- nothing to clean.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Geez, you must have a never-ending supply of self-control and motivation to do something like this (weighing to the gram, always overestimating calorie amount, etc.).

That's what I thought when I joined MFP back in Dec2012. For the first several months, I measured my foods by the eye-balled cup, tbsp or tsp. And I lost weight, but would stall out for weeks, months at a time. But I kept reading posts like this one about the importance of weighing everything to the gram. So I tried it. As a result, my weight loss has become much more consistent and constant.

It occurred to me just moments before I read this post, as I pulled out my digital scale to weigh 1 cup of cottage cheese (226g, thank you), a small tomato (117g), 1/2 small onion (92g) and a handle-full of spinach leaves (26g) to make an afternoon snack, that this is a habit now - a good habit. If I go into the kitchen, the first thing I do is pull out my scale.

Does it take self-control and motivation to do this? Of course it does, along with a dose of commitment, discipline and dedication. But tell me of just one worthwhile endeavor that DOESN"T require those things.

If it seems like too much effort for success, you are not ready yet.

ETA: I hope you get ready soon.
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the great post!
  • mama53
    mama53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On a 1500 caloroe a day diet when getting credit for exercising should you really be eating more calories? I am using the Fitbit flexand have it linked to my Fitness Pal. I was not sure what to do though- do I only stay with the 1500 calories or am I able to eat more because of that exercise credit. confused because I am trying to lose weight however I know that if you constantly under eat it will slow down your metabolism?