Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    On a 1500 caloroe a day diet when getting credit for exercising should you really be eating more calories? I am using the Fitbit flexand have it linked to my Fitness Pal. I was not sure what to do though- do I only stay with the 1500 calories or am I able to eat more because of that exercise credit. confused because I am trying to lose weight however I know that if you constantly under eat it will slow down your metabolism?

If you are letting MFP determine your calorie goal and you've set your activity level to sedentary or lightly active, then yes. The program sets your calorie goal a little low expecting that you will eat the extra calories that you earn through exercise.
  • Jaffsa
    Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is great! And very helpful!
    Thank you for taking the time to write this all out!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome!
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this info.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Great info here.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thank you, This is outstanding!!! I have been doing this awhile and you taught me some awesome strategies...thanks:) Great job!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    How do you log fruit like 3 strawberries?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    How do you log fruit like 3 strawberries?

Weigh them.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump - read later
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the replies, so this may have come up...

If you can still edit, you should add something about weighing pasta and rice (uncooked v cooked).

:)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Calorie Counting 101

Dining out: If you want to be 100% accurate you can bring a scale to a restaurant. [

I couldn't even imagine how embarrassing it would be for my friends and family if I started lugging my food scale with me into restaurants. The day I start doing this is the day I realize that this healthy eating plan gone too far.

• kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    -become obsessive about tiny inaccuracies.

That's how I feel about some things. I don't tend to log my juice (cordial/squash) because it has about 5 cals max. I think if I log it, I tend to drink less and I don't think that is a good way to go. I don't want to get obsessed with the tiny values and
    I want to look at the bigger picture for a better lifestyle change in the long run. Also 50 calories a day that I haven't logged (probably not that much because I hardly ever use condiments) isn't a lot over a week, it's 0.1 of a pound. That's just me though.

• KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat.. I only have 6 more pounds to go to reach my goal. I am only eating 1200 caloris a day and my weightloss has stalled too.. :(
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Calorie Counting 101

Dining out: If you want to be 100% accurate you can bring a scale to a restaurant. [

I couldn't even imagine how embarrassing it would be for my friends and family if I started lugging my food scale with me into restaurants. The day I start doing this is the day I realize that this healthy eating plan gone too far.
    I don't do this either. I also wouldn't consider it. I put it in the guide because the intention was to show people how to be as accurate as humanly possible. I know some people who bring a scale with them to restaurants but they are almost all bodybuilders and only do it when they are in contest prep mode. I think most people can be best served by eating out infrequently and doing their best to estimate calories when they do eat out. When in doubt, overestimate.
  • vismal
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I didn't read the replies, so this may have come up...

If you can still edit, you should add something about weighing pasta and rice (uncooked v cooked).

:)
    Can't edit at this point but basically if the nutritional information states raw, be it rice, pasta, meat, etc, you should always weigh it raw, if it states cooked, you should always weigh it cooked, if it doesn't say cooked vs raw, I usually assume raw.

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    But I'm still not losing weight. I'm on day 3. What am I doing wrong?
  • vismal
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    But I'm still not losing weight. I'm on day 3. What am I doing wrong?

I put the part you are doing wrong in bold. This stuff doesn't happen over night. When 3 days becomes 3 weeks then you have a problem. Until then, you simply must keep at it.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @vismal -sigh- I guess my tongue in cheek joke went so far over your head it will take the space shuttle to retrieve it. Sorry.