Dear IIFYMers...and everyone else

Options
1235»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Btw, the recipe is softened butter, cocoa and icing sugar.

A buttercream icing is far more of a fat bomb than it is a carb bomb.

Yeah it is.

Mmmmm buttercream.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Sure as long as it's not every day.

I eat frosting almost daily. My blood work has always been great. I'm not even on the verge of diabetes, I'm on the low end of the BMI scale, and I don't restrict any other foods or over exercise. Granted, I'm young, but still goes to show.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    losing requires being a little hungry.

Maintenance requires figuring out how to fill your calorie goals with foods you like AND keep you full.

Was that meant for me?

My joke may have been missed (I'm not very good at that anyway). What I meant was when people say IIFYM is about "eating all the foodz" as in whatever you want (typically meant to mean "unhealthy" foods), regardless of nutritional value as long as IIFYM - I haven't been able to do that. I can fit in one or two "bad" food in my day but the rest of my food ends up having to be lean protein, veggies, etc, ie "healthy" foods to balance my macros and meet my calorie goal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you asking okay or not okay in terms of weight loss, health, choice of sweet, whether or not you should eat icing from a mug?

Or are you just asking us to judge ok or not okay and give our reasoning why?

Any and all. Just looking to explore the topic.

I'm not sure what the topic is honestly. You can't judge the health of a persons diet by one snack/dessert. You say it met your macros, but are you macros set appropriately for you lifestyle? You were slightly under calorie goal, but is your calorie goal reasonable for healthy weight loss? Did you also meet your micros? Did you get enough fiber? Enough fluids?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are you asking okay or not okay in terms of weight loss, health, choice of sweet, whether or not you should eat icing from a mug?

Or are you just asking us to judge ok or not okay and give our reasoning why?

Any and all. Just looking to explore the topic.

I'm not sure what the topic is honestly. You can't judge the health of a persons diet by one snack/dessert. You say it met your macros, but are you macros set appropriately for you lifestyle? You were slightly under calorie goal, but is your calorie goal reasonable for healthy weight loss? Did you also meet your micros? Did you get enough fiber? Enough fluids?

I think you just succinctly summarized the topic.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Maintenance requires figuring out how to fill your calorie goals with foods you like AND keep you full.

Was that meant for me?

My joke may have been missed (I'm not very good at that anyway). What I meant was when people say IIFYM is about "eating all the foodz" as in whatever you want (typically meant to mean "unhealthy" foods), regardless of nutritional value as long as IIFYM - I haven't been able to do that. I can fit in one or two "bad" food in my day but the rest of my food ends up having to be lean protein, veggies, etc, ie "healthy" foods to balance my macros and meet my calorie goal.

I thought you might have been making a joke-point but wasn't sure. I agree. Nobody is going to be meeting any macros with a diet consisting of only donuts. Even Jonnythan eats 5 servings of vegetables a day.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Was that meant for me?

I thought you might have been making a joke-point but wasn't sure. I agree. Nobody is going to be meeting any macros with a diet consisting of only donuts. Even Jonnythan eats 5 servings of vegetables a day.

In the interest of illustrating how someone can meet their macros while still eating food that is sometimes commonly referred to as unhealthy, I'd like to present this thread for consideration.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1258212-30-day-gelato-ice-cream-cleanse-diet

There are a wide variety of different posters. Some are bulking; some are cutting; some are simply maintaining. Some have progressive strength training; some do mostly cardio; some don't exercise at all.

ETA: this thread rolled multiple times. Comprehensive ice cream reviews included.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Was that meant for me?

Indeed. I thought it was a joke- then I wasn't sure.

but yes- balance- AND eating all the foodz? lol

I heart mai veggies- I feel like people think that when you say IIFYM- all we are doing is the twinkie diet- and anyone who is serious about apperence and performance moderates their "treats" and has pretty accurate macros'. It just SOUNDS like all we do is eat ice cream.

(although if I could eat steak- sauteed zucchini- and ice cream all the time- I would)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Was that meant for me?

In the interest of illustrating how someone can meet their macros while still eating food that is sometimes commonly referred to as unhealthy, I'd like to present this thread for consideration.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1258212-30-day-gelato-ice-cream-cleanse-diet

There are a wide variety of different posters. Some are bulking; some are cutting; some are simply maintaining. Some have progressive strength training; some do mostly cardio; some don't exercise at all.

ETA: this thread rolled multiple times. Comprehensive ice cream reviews included.

I mean nothing but "unhealthy" food and hitting macros. I was address the point I bolded in an earlier post
    "There is far more to IIFYM than just setting some arbitrary ratio of macros and consuming foods within those limitations....it was originally a fitness thing and unfortunately has been somewhat basterdized as a eat all the foodz so long as IIFYM and that simply wasn't the original intent."

I didn't check a lot of diaries in that thread but I did look at the OP's (and some of the others are familiar to me as well). While they are eating food that a lot of people would consider "unhealthy", the majority of their intake also includes veggies, fruit, lean protein for the rest of the day, which was my point. I can't "eat all the foodz" ie all unhealthy food and hit my macros. I can include some but the rest of my food ends up being pretty healthy by most people's standards. I hit my micros without trying as well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Was that meant for me?

I mean nothing but "unhealthy" food and hitting macros. I was address the point I bolded in an earlier post
    "There is far more to IIFYM than just setting some arbitrary ratio of macros and consuming foods within those limitations....it was originally a fitness thing and unfortunately has been somewhat basterdized as a eat all the foodz so long as IIFYM and that simply wasn't the original intent."

I didn't check a lot of diaries in that thread but I did look at the OP's (and some of the others are familiar to me as well). While they are eating food that a lot of people would consider "unhealthy", the majority of their intake also includes veggies, fruit, lean protein for the rest of the day, which was my point. I can't "eat all the foodz" ie all unhealthy food and hit my macros. I can include some but the rest of my food ends up being pretty healthy by most people's standards. I hit my micros without trying as well.

QFT

I was in the ice cream thread all the way through and now I'm doing the current "eat all the sweets" one. I can work in 2 servings sometimes. But generally, especially on a rest day, it's pretty limited.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Was that meant for me?

Lies, all lies.

Everyone knows that everyone following IIFYM eats nothing but ice cream and poptarts all day err'day...

...well, I mean, when they aren't stuffing themselves with fast food...

...because on MFP, there is no reasonable middle ground, only extremes.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Was that meant for me?

Indeed. I thought it was a joke- then I wasn't sure.

but yes- balance- AND eating all the foodz? lol

I heart mai veggies- I feel like people think that when you say IIFYM- all we are doing is the twinkie diet- and anyone who is serious about apperence and performance moderates their "treats" and has pretty accurate macros'. It just SOUNDS like all we do is eat ice cream.

(although if I could eat steak- sauteed zucchini- and ice cream all the time- I would)

I mean, there are few people who would want to eat twinkies all the time. Even my kids choose blueberries, bananas, apples, rice, chicken and broccoli while trying to consume as many lollipops and chips as they can talk me out of.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Was that meant for me?

Lies, all lies.

Everyone knows that everyone following IIFYM eats nothing but ice cream and poptarts all day err'day...

...well, I mean, when they aren't stuffing themselves with fast food...

...because on MFP, there is no reasonable middle ground, only extremes.
    All I eat is butter and protein powder. It works for me. /derp
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    why do you need us to justify your eating habits? Did you have guilt? Yes? Then BAD BAD BAD. No? Then HOORAY!
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Did you get enough "good" carbs (veg, fruits, whole grains) to meet your micronutrient goal (vitamins and minerals, etc)?

Yes? Then fill your boots...or mug...with whatever you want!

IIFYM isn't a pass to eat any and all things within your macros and calories. You still have to think about your overall health.

So let's pretend that I DIDN'T get enough "good" carbs. That I'd planned on having roasted vegetables for dinner but used up my carbs with this icing. Does it change anyone's thinking?

Nope! I just had 2 cheeseburgers and a value onion ring from burger king. I rarely get fast food. I'm under goal and not worried about a damn thing.

I hear dat'!
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It is not OK. It is wrong.

That is why I practice IIFYMEFI.

If It Fits Your Macros Except For Icing.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I strive to hit my calories and macros to perfection but always far from perfection. Perfection only 2-3 times a week. We are human beings and treats and indulgence is always allow.
  • californiabella
    Options
    yeah, nothing is wrong about that, OP..

but I think if your subject was titled "Dear Clean Eaters..." your feed back would definitely be different. :huh: