What Has Been Your Biggest Issue Losing Weight?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Food.

+1

Also, my depression.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes. This is when I start sounding like a motivational speaker. Right.

I didn't care enough about myself. I had always been fat, I had it in my mind that I would always be fat. Really low self-esteem. Bullied relentlessly. I literally just accepted, by the age of 21, that I would die young. At my heaviest of 400 lbs, I was still getting around and doing things for myself - I never saw myself as becoming bed-bound or anything like that, because I assumed I'd die long before I ever got that big. I just didn't see myself as worth fighting for.

THAT was the hard part of weight loss. THAT is why I gained back weight in the past. I never had a reason to try hard and keep it off. It wasn't as simple as "I like food." I know it wasn't that simple because that bit is still true. I still like my big portions and fried foods and melty cheese (oh god, better stop now!). I still have those things, just not every single day. I had to find a reason not to have them every day, and I did: I am that reason. I am worth working for a healthy, more able body.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Emotional eating.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My sleep medication increases my appetite by 1000. I would eat a chunk of wood if my teeth were sharp enough.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Probably frustration,. I have tried several times over the years. I started off really well, getting ride of the water weight,but after a month or two in I stop seeing results. Once I stop seeing the results I get frustrated which causes me to give up. I figure if I'm not going to loose any more weight I might as well give up and go back to eating what ever I want to.
    If you don't lose any weight, cut 200 calories, wait 2 weeks, keep doing that until you do.
  • StephanieR88
    Options
    Myself. Read the blog I just put up in the "introduce yourself" section.
  • Big_GBake
    Big_GBake Posts: 13
    Options
    I get frustrated when I don't see results and tend to lose focus
  • McGuireTO
    McGuireTO Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Clothes that don't fit. Buying new ones, and them not fitting after a few months
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hardest part for me is realizing that this is a lifestyle change, and not just something I can do temporarily. My problem is that I never had a problem with my weight growing-up and I could eat whatever I want with no worries. Even in college, I would go on temp diets and lose it quickly; but it put back on again after the temp diet. But now, my temp diet is not working; and I've put on more weight than ever before. I can't get myself to fully commit to the lifestyle change. I like my food and drinks; and I hate obsessing about calories in/calories out. This is my biggest challenge, being realistic and consistent. I keep thinking that it'll just fall off and I don't have to worry... However, it's been 5 months now since I started trying to be better, and I haven't really lost anything yet....
  • 2BFitHealthy
    Options
    Using exercise as a coping skill not food. I'm in my head way to much... So I defeat my conquest before I even start and I use others preceived opinions of myself as a basis to my emotional eating. Once I realized that I used food to cowere away from my fears of rejection and acceptance I was freed.
  • steftothefannie
    steftothefannie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ugh food & time! There's never enough time in the day to get everything accomplished. I don't want to sacrifice workouts or walking pups but then it's hard to find time to prep healthy foods for meals & snacks. Oh snacking - always my downfall. I eat when I'm stressed and when I'm bored. That just happens to about 9-5 each day lol.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For myself... denial (either didn't gain that much, or must be a medical issue); nope it was all my own fault and up to me to fix it. My current Achilles heel is a new med (allergies) preventing me from getting my proper intake, great for weight loss, terrible for fitness, my main goal is to look smoking hot naked so this matters most to me. It also causes frustrations with my lifting by limiting my gains.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue was probably depression. I felt so terrible for long that I didn't care about myself or how I looked. When I had good days, I would try to work out and eat healthy but when I had bad days I wouldn't do anything and I would eat a lot of crap. I finally learned that pushing through on the bad days would actually make them better more often than not. Now I see it as something that needs to be done and I do it no matter what.
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Probably the worst thing for me was just a tirade of awful events in my life: ex-fiance cheating on me, having an episode and then being diagnosed bipolar, and subsequently being off work for 6 months. I actually lost quite a bit of weight when I was in the hospital for a month or so, because the food there was obviously much healthier and they did not offer you chocolate/crisps. This meant that when I finally got home, I went crazy with eating all the stuff that I couldn't eat when in the hospital. It was also comfort eating given I was still off work too.

So my main issue now is because I'm still on a hefty chunk of medication. However, I've been told I have to lose weight for other health reasons, so in a way, that's motivation for me! I was a bit depressed when I realised my weight had got that out of hand, but at the same time, I found a positive slant: maybe I can finally get to the weight that I was before I met and moved in with my stupid abusive ex. I was never super tiny slim, but I'd love to be that size again, and maybe even less. Here's hoping!
  • pawheeler1
    pawheeler1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    consistency
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Body image. Having unrealistic expectations about what I can achieve given what I'm willing to do. :) I COULD have washboard abs. IF I was willing to give up sugars and carbs and eat nothing but meat and greens. (Yes, some people can have abs without doing those things but not me. I have never had them. Not going to have them now!) But I'm learning to love all the parts of me as they are and enjoy my life at the same time. :) Healthy balance. (This is in NO way hating on people who eat paleo or love that lifestyle... more power to you. Just not for me!)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My problems in the past were being way too black/white about healthy eating, and getting frustrated when I was not seeing immediate results. Which was mostly my own fault for never owning a scale!! I always thought scales were too depressing. I now believe that even a loss of 5 lb in 2-3 months would have been a huge motivator for me, though.

Basically in the past I would eat whatever I wanted and stay the same weight (at least for many years and then suddenly it seemed like I was at my heaviest "overnight"). So then I'd decide to "eat healthy" and I went overboard with it, having basically just vegetables and a little steamed rice and so on...and after 2-3 weeks my clothes would still be tight so I'd be like "ah forget it, it doesn't seem to make a big difference WHAT I eat" and go back to junk.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry. I can have my allotted meal with plenty of water (24 -32 oz) with it and still not feel like I'm at a 6 on the full scale that leads to over eating. Le sigh...

6933613.png
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Consistency. I struggle to stay consistent with any routine I create. I seem to do well the first 6 weeks then lose interest. But I've learned this about myself and now I plan ahead for that 6th week slump.