Calories in vs. calories out?

Options

Replies

• Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd ever see someone not "believe" in energy balance but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. :wink:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd ever see someone not "believe" in energy balance but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. :wink:
    Aye! The First Law of Thermodynamics, the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, studies citing the increased weight loss while food logging, and my own weight loss experience really drive home "Calories In, Calories Out" and the benefits of food logging. I have not replied rudely to opponents, but I don't put much stock in random "beliefs" unless there is reasonable evidence to support them.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've spent entirely too much time today arguing in favor of calorie counting.
    Corrected above. From your last post, I thought you were arguing you didn't believe in CICO. ;)

I have lost considerable weight based on calories in, calories out as well.
  • Yagisama
    Options
    For my own sanity, it looks like we're all on the same page here.
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm busy having the same argument in another thread, but I just gotta repeat what I see as the main issue here.

This is a calorie counting website. That's it's purpose. Don't believe in CICO? Cool. Plenty of people don't. But you shouldn't be here. If you are here and start a thread saying it's not about calories, stop being so shocked when people disagree with you.

Log on to some website about chess. Say you don't like chess and think it's dumb. What kind of responses do you expect to get?

Basically stop coming into a community, ****ting on what they believe in, and calling them rude for not agreeing with you.
    what the H are you talking about? Where did I state i don't believe in calorie in calorie out? And who I am I debating with? You are just debating yourself. I didn't take a stance at all. Just posed some questions.
  • Yagisama
    Options
    I'm busy having the same argument in another thread, but I just gotta repeat what I see as the main issue here.

This is a calorie counting website. That's it's purpose. Don't believe in CICO? Cool. Plenty of people don't. But you shouldn't be here. If you are here and start a thread saying it's not about calories, stop being so shocked when people disagree with you.

Log on to some website about chess. Say you don't like chess and think it's dumb. What kind of responses do you expect to get?

Basically stop coming into a community, ****ting on what they believe in, and calling them rude for not agreeing with you.
    what the H are you talking about? Where did I state i don't believe in calorie in calorie out? And who I am I debating with? You are just debating yourself. I didn't take a stance at all. Just posed some questions.

To be fair, your OP was full of leading questions.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    6. Can I eat all of my calories of anything right before bed? Will that work?

I eat all my calories for the day between 1pm - 8pm

Works for me.
    And my goals.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    2. If it's just calories in vs calories out, then hormones don't play any role whatsoever? Why are so many nutrition experts concerned then with Insulin spikes, over or under active thyroid and cortisol levels? Insulin for instance is an anabolic agent as well as a supposedly fat storing trigger. Body builders actually want this spike after a workout and many eat simple sugars following a lifting session for this reason. Almost every article you read on cutting addresses cortisol levels and the role stress plays on it. Why can someone with an overactive thyroid, not gain weight no matter what they eat? Could it be hormone's play a bigger role than many give them credit for? And if so, could that explain why some people stay skinny and some people get fat eating the same amount of food?

I'm pretty sure that hormones change energy levels. I have a thyroid disorder which means that my body expends less energy (which equates to me being exhausted, lethargic, or overall lacking in energy). This would be because the hormones, or the lack of T4 and T3 conversion means that my body doesn't know that it should expend MORE energy because the hormones which tell my brain to burn those calories are not being received by the proper organs. Resulting in malfunction which, in turn, results in less energy being burned.

That being said. CICO still applies to those of us with hormone issues because technically our bodies are still following the laws of thermo dynamics. Our bodies just don't necessarily perform this process on the same level as those without hormone/thyroid conditions.
  • jmangini
    Options
    6. Can I eat all of my calories of anything right before bed? Will that work?

I eat all my calories for the day between 1pm - 8pm

Works for me.
    And my goals.
    I actually do the same
  • jmangini
    Options

To be fair, your OP was full of leading questions.
    they may have come across that way, but I don't see where I stated any opinion whatsoever, but I see how it could be taken that way.
  • Will187pnp
    Will187pnp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Calories are important but not the end all be all. Carbs are equally important. For instance depending what time you have a high carb intake determine if you body creates insulin which forces the body to store fat. You can try the Junk food way if you want but you won't make any gains. Calories, carbs, protein, sugars all play a part in getting lean and creating maximum protein synthesis for muscle growth.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I will throw in my 2 pennies for the other 5 questions, as best I can, as they can be a bit leading...

1) Well food preference for everyone is different....I mean I will eat some of that stuff now, and I am fairly lean right now.
    Not to mention that the lower u get in BF, the more you notice how your body reacts to certain foods....i.e. you bloat with some foods more than others.

2) Hormones do play a role.....but it is all dependent on where the person is within the body fat scale....
    Look at the hormone leptin and the role is plays. Fat/Obese people have an abundance of this hormone, and yet it has no effect.
    People on the lower end, and low calories, have a reduced amount of this hormone.....so they have to do things from time to time to spike it....i.e. carb refeed. In order to get it going in your body again.

3) Typically people who want to lose weight, or are in the process of cutting, want to also be healthy.....so that is the encouragement for whole foods, vs. doing just chips and dips. So it is not that taking in more fat is fattening......plenty of people that do paleo take in a lot of fat, and optimal amounts of protein.....but little to no carbs. And they are not over weight or fat.....
    So not certain where you are going here.

4) as long as you are below calorie needs u will lose weight.....but again, people also want to be optimal in their approach.
    Your body needs fats also. As well as having energy to perform their daily tasks and not be grumpy.
    Not to mention sometimes you like to change up what u eat.

5) You can eat as often or as little as u want. Just stay below your caloric needs to lose weight if that is your goal.
    You can eat burgers all day or Krispy Kreme doughnuts if you like.....but again you are missing out on other things your body needs. Your micros.
    You could do it, like how you stated in your question, but I think after a while you are gonna feel crappy.....
    But give it a shot and see.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Calories are important but not the end all be all. Carbs are equally important. For instance depending what time you have a high carb intake determine if you body creates insulin which forces the body to store fat. You can try the Junk food way if you want but you won't make any gains. Calories, carbs, protein, sugars all play a part in getting lean and creating maximum protein synthesis for muscle growth.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • jmangini
    Options

Oh. I see. You were JAQing off. (Just Asking Questions, as they say in another forum I use)

Asking questions in a leading manner, when answers are given contrary to what you so obviously were attempting to set up, you back off and say "Hey man, I was just asking questions!"
    No, I actually wanted to see other peoples opinions on the subject. I haven't argued or debated with anyone. You're the only one coming after me. If you don't like my post, you didn't have to reply at all instead of insulting me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The problem is that people usually confuse "calories" in this equation to be the calories a food contains, rather than what happens to those caloires once they enter a human body.

The first - number of calories a food contains - is a constant and easily measurable. The second is variable and not easily measurable.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am game for this thread.
  • Yagisama
    Options

Carbs aren't "equally important." And what makes some food, "junk food." If it fits under your calorie requirements, and you meet your minimum fat and protein requirements, that's all there is to it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I would like to know that if there is such a simple way calories in< calories out where is this bestseller book at? Why is he/she not the richest person in the world.