seriously?

Options

Replies

• princessgloomy
    princessgloomy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So who would everyone like to see play Gambit since it appears no one is a Channing fan??
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Channing Tatum, but he is going to make a sh*tty gambit.

This...
    No way this is going to work out good, so many other people suitable for the job and then they pick Channing...
    They must have been drunk when selecting him

Or a horny, teenage girl...

I've always thought Sawyer from Lost would be the perfect selection.

The guy who played Sawyer would make an awesome Gambit.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one not disappointed by this? He's just so good to look at, and I think he'd make a good Gambit.

Megan Fox is good to look at, but I bet a bunch of women would be pissed if she was in the cast of 50 shades of gray...or a Jane Austen film.

TRUTH! Although I was worried about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, but after doing a little research I think she may be the only person in the new Supes movie that doesn't suck...besides Supes himself.
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Ihatecoldsoup Posts: 186
    Options
    Am I the only one not disappointed by this? He's just so good to look at, and I think he'd make a good Gambit.

Megan Fox is good to look at, but I bet a bunch of women would be pissed if she was in the cast of 50 shades of gray...or a Jane Austen film.

TRUTH! Although I was worried about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, but after doing a little research I think she may be the only person in the new Supes movie that doesn't suck...besides Supes himself.

I am hoping Zach Snyder's plan is to overload us with so much action that we won't notice.
  • Collier78
    Options

I am hoping Zach Snyder's plan is to overload us with so much action that we won't notice.

Amen! I'm tired of being disappointed by the DC movies. They need to catch up with Marvel and get their act together!
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't get the hate for this casting beyond the "lol, **** channing tatum!".

Is he the best actor in the world? God no. But he's gotten progressively better. And besides that, he's actually from NO, so we know he can do the accent justice. And he has the look.

I think this is one of those "wait and see" casting announcements. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, because the guy genuinely comes off like he's trying to go beyond the typical "look how sexy I am" style roles that he got saddled with.

I've seen several people say he has "the look." I think he looks as much like Gambit as I look like the Queen of England. Can you expand a little more on this, since I'm genuinely curious what similarities people see?

Besides the hair, how does he not have the look? Channing isn't overly beefy. I'd say if you load up his picture next to drawings of Gambit ... they share the same kind of build.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And we have Ben Affleck as Batman..... I'd much prefer Tatum as Gambit. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he hasn't already wrecked one superhero *coughbenaffleckcough*

this.

he isn't awful when he has decent roles. I kind of think he is polarizing- which gambit has been a bit like that.

Tatum played a roman soldier in The Eagle- and it wasn't a huge success but it wasn't the awful trash like GI Joe was. He just needs some actual real movies with real screen writing that aren't thug life dancers and people might take him more seriously.

I'm not insanely disappointed- I am not going to be surprised if it sucks- but I'm not going to be surprised if it's good.

Ben afflec though- god he fails at everything so I'm really not looking forward to batman.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't get the hate for this casting beyond the "lol, **** channing tatum!".

Is he the best actor in the world? God no. But he's gotten progressively better. And besides that, he's actually from NO, so we know he can do the accent justice. And he has the look.

I think this is one of those "wait and see" casting announcements. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, because the guy genuinely comes off like he's trying to go beyond the typical "look how sexy I am" style roles that he got saddled with.

I've seen several people say he has "the look." I think he looks as much like Gambit as I look like the Queen of England. Can you expand a little more on this, since I'm genuinely curious what similarities people see?

And I thought he was from Alabama.

My bad. He was born in Alabama, but grew up on the Bayou in a rural community. And he has personal and family ties to NO.

Direct quote from Tatum:

"I would like to play Gambit. Gambit's my favourite. I'm from New Orleans, around that area. My dad's from New Orleans, and I like to do a Cajun accent. I could do it for real," Tatum explained.

He has the look. He can do the accent. And he's gotten progressively better as an actor despite what people who don't watch his movies think. It's difficult for me to write him off because his early work was total ****, since he's actively getting better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

she's a horrible cast for Wonder Woman- I'm insanely disappointed- I don't care what amazing actress she might be- she still isn't the fit for that role- it was a horrid decision.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Besides the hair, how does he not have the look? Channing isn't overly beefy. I'd say if you load up his picture next to drawings of Gambit ... they share the same kind of build.

Channing is much beefier than Gambit is-- while the muscles on Gambit are hyperdefined, in action he's lean and fast. His face is long and lean-- not heavy-jawed. Gambit's features are more angular-- he's foxlike. Tatum's features are squared, heavier, blockier. There's nothing wrong with that, and I don't think movie characters need to look just like the source material, but it becomes unconvincing if he has a look that wouldn't be convincing as a thief that depends on stealth, speed and cunning. The only similarities I see is that they're both in good shape? Beyond that, it's all a big question mark to me why people think they look alike.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Channing Tatum, but he is going to make a sh*tty gambit.

This...
    No way this is going to work out good, so many other people suitable for the job and then they pick Channing...
    They must have been drunk when selecting him

Or a horny, teenage girl...

I've always thought Sawyer from Lost would be the perfect selection.
    Sawyer is too busy being Farmer Josh
    16iirk2.jpg

Actually he has a new show that is really good

Josh_zpse188c161.jpg
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options

she's a horrible cast for Wonder Woman- I'm insanely disappointed- I don't care what amazing actress she might be- she still isn't the fit for that role- it was a horrid decision.

Totally agree. The fact of the matter is she is a terrible actress. They could have cast someone who looks good AND can act!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I remember people panning Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Michael Keaton as Batman, Tobey McGuire as Spider-man and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and so on and so on.

Those turned out okay.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

Channing is much beefier than Gambit is-- while the muscles on Gambit are hyperdefined, in action he's lean and fast. His face is long and lean-- not heavy-jawed. Gambit's features are more angular-- he's foxlike. Tatum's features are squared, heavier, blockier. There's nothing wrong with that, and I don't think movie characters need to look just like the source material, but it becomes unconvincing if he has a look that wouldn't be convincing as a thief that depends on stealth, speed and cunning. The only similarities I see is that they're both in good shape? Beyond that, it's all a big question mark to me why people think they look alike.

I still lament that Hugh Jackman is 6'2" and cast as Wolverine, because, being a shorty myself, one of the things about Wolverine I identified with was his runtiness.
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options

I agree with this.

I remember people panning Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Michael Keaton as Batman, Tobey McGuire as Spider-man and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and so on and so on.

Those turned out okay.

Ya know, good point about Heath Ledger.
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options

I still lament that Hugh Jackman is 6'2" and cast as Wolverine, because, being a shorty myself, one of the things about Wolverine I identified with was his runtiness.

Exactly, Logan had a huge short-man complex. I still think jackman as about a good a wolverine as we are ever going to get.
  • Collier78
    Options

I think she might suprise you..I too was VERY skeptical, but she has really taken it seriously and has gone through a pretty tough routine to put on some muscle and live up to the "amazon" hype. I know she can play a calm collected bad Ass from the fast/furious series. Either way she won't be near as disappointing as Ben Affleck as Bats.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Those turned out okay.

As A HUGE Gambit fan, I'll try to articulate the displeasure...

From the very first X-Men movie, Gambit was teased as a character, but it never came to fruition. We saw some great casting decisions (Patrick Stewart, Alan Cumming) and some terribad casting decisions (Halle Berry), and we saw three movies pass with no Gambit. Which, really, is just as well-- did I really want the same people who turned the Phoenix storyline into a bad case of PMS casting Gambit? Not really.

But when they finally did it, they did a pretty meh job of it. They went primarily for look, got lazy with the writing, and overall, just did a pretty lackluster job giving him a debut. So I huddled back down and decided that if they couldn't do it right, I'd prefer they just not do it.

So now, they seem to have no particular plan for the character, and are snatching up an actor who has apparently begged for the role-- an actor who hasn't been a shining star in terms of acting talent, and whose roles have all gone along one particular line. Is it plausible he might do a decent job? Sure. But I find it hard to have hope for that, particularly because I straight-up dislike this dude. He's utterly unappealing to me, and while being unappealing, also manages to be completely overexposed because (I admit) tons of people seem to go nuts for him for some reason.

The last part of my hefty sigh is probably a little bit of nerd snobbery. If the people I know who love him are any indication (coworkers, former classmates), they would go just to squeal over Channing Tatum and the character loses any sense of the actual character and just becomes a vehicle for Channing Tatum. And if they pull out gratuitous shirtlessness, I'll probably be forced to heave my $12 popcorn at the screen.
  • Collier78
    Options

I agree with this.

Those turned out okay.

From the very first X-Men movie, Gambit was teased as a character, but it never came to fruition. We saw some great casting decisions (Patrick Stewart, Alan Cumming) and some terribad casting decisions (Halle Berry), and we saw three movies pass with no Gambit. Which, really, is just as well-- did I really want the same people who turned the Phoenix storyline into a bad case of PMS casting Gambit? Not really.

But when they finally did it, they did a pretty meh job of it. They went primarily for look, got lazy with the writing, and overall, just did a pretty lackluster job giving him a debut. So I huddled back down and decided that if they couldn't do it right, I'd prefer they just not do it.

So now, they seem to have no particular plan for the character, and are snatching up an actor who has apparently begged for the role-- an actor who hasn't been a shining star in terms of acting talent, and whose roles have all gone along one particular line. Is it plausible he might do a decent job? Sure. But I find it hard to have hope for that, particularly because I straight-up dislike this dude. He's utterly unappealing to me, and while being unappealing, also manages to be completely overexposed because (I admit) tons of people seem to go nuts for him for some reason.

The last part of my hefty sigh is probably a little bit of nerd snobbery. If the people I know who love him are any indication (coworkers, former classmates), they would go just to squeal over Channing Tatum and the character loses any sense of the actual character and just becomes a vehicle for Channing Tatum. And if they pull out gratuitous shirtlessness, I'll probably be forced to heave my $12 popcorn at the screen.

:flowerforyou: I love this explanation...from one nerd "snob" to another..LOL
    On a side note, I was displeased with the casting of Rogue in the Xmen movies. She has always been one of my favorites and Anna Paquin was not the best decision either.
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options

I agree with this.

Those turned out okay.

All of this. I have a female friend who loves Channing Tatum but has never heard of Gambit until I expressed my feelings to her about this topic. Now, she wants to see the film. Not, because of the character, but because of who is playing it, even though he doesn't fit the role. It is becoming a popularity contest.