Fattest girl at the gym

Options

Replies

• DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're there to solve that problem. It's al about perspective. Instead of using it as an excuse, think of it as an inspiration! Say to yourself "look, they're working out, this is where skinnier, fitter people become and STAY skinny and fit. THIS is where I need to be because that is how I'm going to make myself be."

Think of it as a way to make yourself fit in. This is good peer pressure in a way, it's society giving you a reason to be fit, healthy, and look good. Take it as a challenge, a chance, and live up to it. You got this. You're in the right place because in a couple of months you will look like they do.

Also, I found it helpful to complement people on their bodies and ask them for fitness, workout, or diet tips.
    Never fall into the trap of staying at home and eating cake instead of going to the gym because of your body... It's reallyy hard to get out of, because the problem just becomes worse and worse that way!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Even after losing 65+ lbs, I'm still one of the fattest people at my gym.

You have to realize that everyone there is just as human as you are, and if you paid your membership fees, you have every right to be there just as they do regardless of your size.

Wear clothes that you're comfortable in, plug in your earbuds or whatever you use for music/video/etc., and just go do your thing. You may even find that some of the people people you are intimidated by aren't so very different from you after all.

haha. I was intimated by the squat rack for the longest time.. It wasn't' the rack itself.. It was using it while know the muscly fit guys were hovering there waiting for me to be done.. Because i'm a slow squatter, Because I feel like I have no idea what i'm doing in "that section" of the gym. Because i'm not a ripped super fit person. I finally joined them in their hovering and got on it and ya know what, it felt great :) I had to wait... now so can they. And my muscles thank me for it.

I can't wait to use the squat rack. The gym I'm at has the Smith Machines and I'm not interested in them. The gym I am going to change to has squat racks. BUT, those bad boys are always in use. Unfortunately I live in an area full of "brahs" and those types you see at the Jersey Shore so if I want the squat rack, I'm going to have to go in early, like really early and git 'er done that way. Hey, I'm just going to have to get to bed early if I want to get my results.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stay home because of your size - only if home is what you prefer. I'm not sure which gym you go to but I have been a member of different gyms over the years and bra tops are a rarity with maybe less than 10 percent of women every wearing the skimpy bra top/boy short combo. The 'go to' outfit for most women seems to be yoga pants and a tank top. I'm not sure what choice you have in gyms but I go to Good Life and it really lives up to its slogan "good for every body". I see every size and age at my local. That said, there is another gym close by that I think I would find intimidating (and unaffordable - for the rich and beautiful set!). I suggest you look around and find what works for you. The best gyms create an atmosphere where everyone is welcome and you just have to bring your can do attitude. Also the women you envy and think might be judging you, have probably walked in your shoes at one point and worked hard for their hot body. These are the women that make the best mentors.

I wear yoga pants and a really big v-neck t shirt. I like to see the different way it hangs now. that T shirt is my guage. I can see how much I'm changing by the way it fits now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Gyms are for people who don't need gyms, in my experience.

That said, in bad weather I utilize the gym, and I just mind my own business. Let people think I'm fat - I don't care! But the reason I don't care is that I have mean thoughts about other people too sometimes.

"Who wears a leopard/zebra mesh top?!"

Doesn't mean I think they're bad people. Doesn't mean I think about them at all past that one thought. Doesn't mean I always have those thoughts about all people. We all have opinions, and thoughts, and no one can control them. My advice is just to accept that and do your thing, and realize that sometimes you have the same type of thoughts about other people.

"GOD that woman is skinny! How can she even function?"

Etc. Etc. Etc.

People who say crap like this make me want to punch a puppy.

A gym isn't a place for fit people.

That's like saying the supermarket is for fat people.

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????

A gym is a room full of equipment you rent so you can do activities that you cannot do at home, will not do at home- or you prefer doing with like minded people. That's it- there is not "you must be THIS FIT to enter this gym" sign.

It has nothing to do with your level of fitness or fatness. Much like the super market has nothing to do with your level of fitness- or fatness.

And you admitted a core concept of judginess:

The people who feel most uncomfortable about being judged... are often exceptionally judgmental about others. Once you let go and let people be who they are for whatever reason- you can realize YOU can be who you are for whatever reasons.

You spend more time thinking about them then they do about you that's for damn sure. And Yeah- you're a grown up- you CAN control/change your attitude and your thoughts. You just have to really want to.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you're really worried about anyone saying anything, buy a pair of Beats, clamp them on your ears, and turn 'em up to 11. That'll kill anything anyone might have to say to you. :laugh:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    That's why I bought a treadmill. Well, one reason. Other was the gym was a 15 minute drive and with kids, that's crazy. Gas too... so it was cheaper. I have vad anxiety because of my weight and all the young, skinny, bimbo types at the gym were not helping that.

So you have anxiety because of your weight and are afraid that people will judge you, yet you turn around and judge young, skinny women and equate them to bimbos?

Mmmmmmmk. Oh pot? Meet kettle....
  • JoRocka
    Options
    That's why I bought a treadmill. Well, one reason. Other was the gym was a 15 minute drive and with kids, that's crazy. Gas too... so it was cheaper. I have vad anxiety because of my weight and all the young, skinny, bimbo types at the gym were not helping that.

So you have anxiety because of your weight and are afraid that people will judge you, yet you turn around and judge young, skinny women and equate them to bimbos?

Mmmmmmmk. Oh pot? Meet kettle....

mai post above.

The most complaining people I hear about "feeling judged" comes from the most judgmental people I've ever met.

Projecting their judgey behavior on to others- and there for feeling insecure about perceived judginess.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    "Don't compare your beginning to someones else's middle." - Jon Acuff
  • olgalicious26
    Options
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym when I was around 245 pounds. I was definitely one of the biggest women that I saw. It intimidated me at first, mostly because I was out of my comfort zone. It didn't take me long to realize that no one really cares about other people at the gym. And if they happen to care they can eff right off.
    Now by looking at me (and I've since switched gyms) no one would ever know that I used to be 80 pounds heavier. Don't assume that any fit-looking people at the gym have always been that way.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I admire you on many levels for keeping with it. Most importantly, always remember that there will come a time that someone else will take over that role. Keep working it girlfriend.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    1966924_10153898133460297_1605383182_n.jpg
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    I'm overweight but not obese (though I'm only a few pounds away from being considered such). But, I live in California and when I signed up at my current gym I had no idea that I would be signing up at such a fitness-minded place (and I mean, surrounded by fitness competitors, actresses and models, you get the idea). But, as time went on I started to notice that I was the biggest girl at the gym! Some of my friends thought I was joking and some people knew I was serious because at one time they had memberships at the gym. One day I was on the treadmill when one of the meatheads and his friends got on next to me and meathead #1 said to meathead #2, "I like to exercise next to the fat people, it helps keep me motivated." I was pretty devastated, but you know what? Effing forget them, and forget the people you worry about, go ahead and be the fattest girl and go in there and work your *kitten* off, and let people stare, or whatever it is they do, and use that energy and that hurt and anger, or whatever your feeling, turn it into energy for your workouts, you'll be amazed to see what happens.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    making fun of fat people at the gym is liking going to the hospital to make fun of sick people.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    making fun of fat people at the gym is liking going to the hospital to make fun of sick people.

tumblr_n5lmftgW5v1rhavdko1_250.gif
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I used to be the fattest person in the gym. I wore pajama pants and old ratty tshirts the first month I went. I avoided the mirrors at all costs. I felt self-conscious and out of place. But I decided not to let that stop me; I didn't give a *kitten* what anyone said and whether they stared or what they thought.

Then something weird happened. I started making friends. I stopped avoiding the mirrors. I invested in workout clothes. I lost weight (a lot of weight).

Now I get mistaken for the group ex instructor sometimes.

The gym transformed me from the fattest person there to a fit person.

Keep going. Anyone who would mock you isn't worth the time of day. Most people aren't paying any attention. I can tell you this: I didn't gotten a single negative comment, but I got plenty of "I've been watching you over the past few months and cannot believe your progress" and that doesn't suck one bit.
  • arielmotzy
    arielmotzy Posts: 3
    Options
    I appreciate you posting this.

Yes. Absolutely.

Just like many of these other people are saying, your efforts are evidence that you are not apathetic to your health.

I have these exact thoughts on and off at the gym, but I would not say that is a very good excuse for staying home and working out. If you want to work out at home, that is fine. I simply do not have the equipment I would like in order to strength train and get a cardio fix.

I go to the gym because I may have a deluded sense of community about the act itself. We all know why we are there and we are all better for it. My only complaint is that people should be more open to talking with one another. On the hand, the purpose of being there isn't really to talk. You are there for yourself and everyone seems to have this common factor figured out.

If you feel people are judging, just stop feeling that way. It's takes mental focus to simply ignore that kind of thinking and get your work-out done. There may, in fact, be someone thinking (one way or another) something negative about you but really, who the hell cares? You know why you are there! One day at a time and with all those days and efforts combined you are well on your way to feeling and looking like the person you wish to be.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Can you buy some workout clothes that can help you feel more confident?

No such thing for me..... LOL
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I did not go to the gym until I lost about 50lbs. I think this had something to do with it..plus not wanting to commit to a membership that I did not know if I could.

I started doing at home dvds...which I think if you do not have a "go-to" at home workout - you need to get one. Distractions can easily deter you from going to the gym but an at-home dvd is un-excusable.

I started with Leslie Sansone, and 1 mile was BRUTAL but...it made me realize how horribly out of shape I was. Then I progressed to Turbo Jam, then Turbo Fire. When I got to 210lbs, I got my first gym membership ever. I went 3 times a week, every week, for 1 month. Then guess what? I stopped going. BUT that did NOT stop me from losing weight. I still consistently do my at-home dvds and I have since lost 24lbs.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    i have the most respect out of anyone for the biggest people at the gym. theyre the ones trying to start new good habits, theyre the ones carrying around 100 extra lbs on that treadmill, theyre the ones who have to work against everything they have gotten used to in their life in order to try and better themselves. its like someone looking at the base of mt. everest and saying "y'know what, *kitten* it, ima climb that f*cker. it may beat the hell out of me, people may think im a fool or my efforts are fruitless, but i will climb"

everyone is self conscious at first, but eventually you realize that most people in the gym are concentrated on their own workouts, and if they arent then they are wasting their time and money at the gym

+1

Also, on top of everything he said, 95% of the time, no one is even noticing you and they'd definitely not be chuckling to themselves or making fun of you. By the off chance that a girl/guy are, they're very rare and outnumbered AND are leading very miserable lives. Do you.