ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    That detox is the key
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    That detox is the key

This is supposed to be things that no one tells you about weight loss. Duh.

• kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That my stretch marks look uglier the thiner I am :(
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That your mind takes a while to catch up with your body.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Other people are never happy with your weight or what you're eating. Thin and eating salad? That's all you want really are you anorexic is that all you're eating you don't need to lose weight!! Thin and eating ice cream? Are you going to eat all of that really are you sure you're going to put weight on!! Heavier and eating ice cream? Are you really sure you want all of that like really you know how many calories this has????? Sigh.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That you go through clothing sizes faster and faster as you shrink. You're either going to have to spend a lot of money, OR, regularly visit second hand shops, OR not care about walking around in public with a baggy bum and the off-the-shoulder look.

Oh, and nobody told me about the off-the-shoulder thing! Tops don't just get too big around the waist and chest - your shoulders and neck will lose weight too, so that the neckline on your t-shirts is all wrong, and you'll look like a child wearing mummy's clothes.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to lose weight when you're younger.

Exercise doesn't have to be boring.

Heavy lifting is incredible-i had only ever considered cardio as being good for weight loss but after seeing advice here and trying it for myself, i am in love with heavy lifting!

You don't have to eat like a rabbit.

Healthy food can actually taste pretty damn good if you experiment with preparing it.

Protein will fill you up more than carbs.

It will take longer than you think (or wish) to lose the weight.

Go by your measurements, not just the number on the scale.

One huge binge really can take your progress back an entire week. It isn't worth it.

Weight loss pills and fad diets are essentially just other, structured ways of ensuring you stick to CICO.

Not everyone will be happy or support you in your decision to make a positive change in your life and lose weight.

Drinking more water genuinely does aid in weight loss, but i think most of that is from having to get up and move to go to the loo so often :p
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    Oh, and nobody told me about the off-the-shoulder thing! Tops don't just get too big around the waist and chest - your shoulders and neck will lose weight too, so that the neckline on your t-shirts is all wrong, and you'll look like a child wearing mummy's clothes.

I am currently sporting an off the shoulder look. Until reading this I was telling myself that they were stretched out and old (basically I was imagining the size change), but I feel a bit better reading this and being able to see at least a little difference in sizes.
  • NikkiShells81
    NikkiShells81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That even though the scale says you have lost 61 lbs, you won't see it on most days. Especially if you still have a long way to go like I do.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    That my stretch marks look uglier the thiner I am :(

They get lighter after a few years. I had bad ones, now I can hardly see them. And I haven't lost all I want to yet either.
  • clark59j_99
    clark59j_99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Once it becomes noticeable that you're losing weight, everyone starts telling you about all of the fad diets that you should be on. "Oh, I lost 20 lbs on the grapefruit enema diet 2 years ago." What they forget to tell you is that they gained 60 of that back in the year after.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    You start chafing in different places as your clothes are fit you different. Your clothes can start to look even worse than when you were heavier, because of where the weight is coming off and you are still too big for the next size down.
  • Tabbitha1968
    Tabbitha1968 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    * The process is emotional, you will feel vulnerable.
    * Reaching that numerical goal doesn't always equal contentment.
    * It all mental, if you can combat your thoughts you will be sucessful.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Once it becomes noticeable that you're losing weight, everyone starts telling you about all of the fad diets that you should be on. "Oh, I lost 20 lbs on the grapefruit enema diet 2 years ago." What they forget to tell you is that they gained 60 of that back in the year after.

Yep I experienced this recently. In my case though, it seemed that by losing the weight they could tell I was into nutrition, weight loss etc and that perhaps we had a common topic to talk about :)
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Mav3rick54 wrote: »
    That reaching my goal weight is not the end of the journey......it's the beginning of the marathon.....and it is going to be a whole lot easier to run without all the extra weight. :smile:

Love this saying!!
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That I would gain stretch marks around my chest and biceps as I went from losing fat to gaining muscle. Still wouldn't change though.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That if you've had multiple kids and you do high intensity workouts, you'll probably pee yourself. It sucks, but it just happens. Go to your OB and get a pessary device, and drive on.
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's easier when you're over 50.

It's easier when you're emotionally "whole", so get plenty of rest and deal with problems appropriately.

It's easier with a few pieces of good equipment: high-speed blender, food scale, cookware, etc.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SallyinIL wrote: »
    It's easier when you're over 50.

It's easier when you're emotionally "whole", so get plenty of rest and deal with problems appropriately.

It's easier with a few pieces of good equipment: high-speed blender, food scale, cookware, etc.

So true! Thanks!

Still hard, but easier. Certainly worth the effort!

• jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No one told me I would still hate my body. After a 90 pound loss I have hanging, saggy yuk all over. I am looking at having a body lift and boob lift next year. I thought I would be "finished" when I lost the weight. I'm never "finished"......

I'm right there with you. You don't think about how your body/skin will look after the weight is gone. Being obese for half of my life completely changed the elasticity in my skin. That being said, I will never give up. Feeling more energetic and knowing that I'm healthier is good enough for me. Good luck with your ongoing journey!