The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »

You may have a periods of time where your skin is like a teenager's, breaking out and such, as your body cleans itself.

This is my face RIGHT NOW!!!!! I cant believe how many breakouts I have on my skin now since I started going back to the gym. WOW...glad to know its most likely work out/healthy eating related.

• shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've grown so weary of people asking how I lost weight that I make up harmless crap like "Eat less, Move More" which while won't hurt, is certainly the most unhelpful load of junk ever written.

Only someone I truly care about gets a straight answer, and that's going to be at least a 15 minute long conversation.

There was no simple easy trick (actually there was, but even mentioning the P word will get heads rolling around here), there was a long list of "tricks" I worked up to at the time I was personally ready to take each step.

And yes, people will be completely jealous to the point that it upsets them if you even mention anything weight loss related.

Weight is a very, very emotional issue, and women have a tendency to compare themselves to other women.

I'm sorry, what's the P word?

Made it to the end of this thread and I'm sad that this was never answered.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time!!
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't see a woman who is 17 lbs lighter in the mirror. I see the same person I looked at in the mirror when I started whose clothes just happen to be getting bigger....
  • Roeygal
    Roeygal Posts: 26
    Options
    Well, personally:
    • The first and last few days towards a goal are hard-going but rewarding.
    • 50% of the challenge is in your mindset. Positive thinking + Hard work = Good outcome.
    • You don't have to compensate any of your favourite foods if you're tactful.
    • Even though you know you won't see immediate results, you spend 90% of the time wishing you would.
    • Stretching and warming up IS important. It took me too long to figure this out.
    • While the scale is helpful, it's not the only, nor the most accurate, way to monitor your progress.
    • Be prepared for more laundry.
    • Shopping for your new body is an EXCELLENT feeling.

Just off the top of my head. :blush:
  • Holmesfamily26037
    Holmesfamily26037 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hyg99 wrote: »
    That nothing beats knowing you can do it.

That losing weight is actual quite a basic equation, calories in calories out.

That people see you differently when you are thinner, I am no different, I just weigh less
    I totally agree with this! People do start treating u different..better..looking at u different..I am still the same person I was inside..
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is all just a dream. I feel like I haven't lost any weight (I've lost 22.3kg). I feel even bigger. So bizarre!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    That food isn't evil and it's fuel for your body.

That measuring yourself def helps when the scale doesn't want to move.

That everyone has a tip, trick, or gimmick to help loose weight. But most of it doesn't work and what does is hard work and planning.

It's perfectly okay to have an off day but it's just that...one day. Don't let it derail everything, just move on.

You will realize how strong you really are, inside and out.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!

That it's amazing how angry you can get when you see an add promoted by a major news outlet that 7 Eleven are having a day when you bring your own cup any size and you get a slurpee for $1.49. I hate to think the size some of those cups people are going to bring. And people wonder why there's such a problem with obesity. Even if I wasn't overweight, diabetic and working hard to get that under control I would still think what a stupid idea that is. And some of the comments on Facebook under the article are downright scary. The size of the cups some of those people are going to bring..
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I second that -- amazing and inspiring thread. For me it was that people were suddenly nicer to me and that my feet were smaller - that still amazes me :)
  • New414
    New414 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That I would take up ½ as much space anywhere. Weird sitting in public places, I find I'm so far from the table in a booth!
    Crawling under desks to fix cables and stuff is doable.

You can find things to wear that are ideal.

Plus size catalogs keep coming even though you're too thin to fit in any of it!

You'll need a new wardrobe. Biggish clothes aren't flattering.

You'll have better stamina in activies.

and I'm borrowing the cold feet/hands as well water flushing frequently. It's a
    good thing to lose the toxins! :)
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I almost forgot! There seem to be 2 types of clothes in the world. Matronly clothes for heavy women and slutty clothes for lighter women/girls. You have to get rather creative piecing together outfits between the women's section and the junior section just to get an outfit that is normal. Also, women aren't built like girls of the same size/weight. So clothes shopping becomes a real chore.

I agree with this, I thought I would love shopping more once I was out of plus size, but it really just made shopping overwhelming at first. Being 40 something and trying to find something age appropriate is tough.

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've grown so weary of people asking how I lost weight that I make up harmless crap like "Eat less, Move More" which while won't hurt, is certainly the most unhelpful load of junk ever written.

Only someone I truly care about gets a straight answer, and that's going to be at least a 15 minute long conversation.

There was no simple easy trick (actually there was, but even mentioning the P word will get heads rolling around here), there was a long list of "tricks" I worked up to at the time I was personally ready to take each step.

And yes, people will be completely jealous to the point that it upsets them if you even mention anything weight loss related.

Weight is a very, very emotional issue, and women have a tendency to compare themselves to other women.

I'm sorry, what's the P word?

Made it to the end of this thread and I'm sad that this was never answered.

I don't know for sure but a P word that occurs to me that would get heads rolling is "purge". Just a guess.

If that's what the poster meant it also explains the vague reference to other "tricks" with a refusal to discuss them with anyone but a close friend.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    That I would actually get to enjoy running! I'm someone who used to be out of breath just running less than a block to catch a bus. I used to break out in a cold sweat and take about ten minutes for my heart rate to get back to normal. Now I run laps at my local park.
  • Bethcooper43
    Options
    I didn't expect to like my body any more than I did before. I already liked it plenty and figured not much would change on that front....but it was a bit of a surprise that I've ended up liking it so much less.

I can relate to this. Once I began seeing weight coming off, I looked disproportionate to.myself. I also missed my breasts since they shrunk....as well as my nice butt I had.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That food isn't evil and it's fuel for your body.

That measuring yourself def helps when the scale doesn't want to move.

That everyone has a tip, trick, or gimmick to help loose weight. But most of it doesn't work and what does is hard work and planning.

It's perfectly okay to have an off day but it's just that...one day. Don't let it derail everything, just move on.

You will realize how strong you really are, inside and out.

Well said! Ditto.

Actually, these all are wonderful. Thanks everyone!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!

That it's amazing how angry you can get when you see an add promoted by a major news outlet that 7 Eleven are having a day when you bring your own cup any size and you get a slurpee for $1.49. I hate to think the size some of those cups people are going to bring. And people wonder why there's such a problem with obesity. Even if I wasn't overweight, diabetic and working hard to get that under control I would still think what a stupid idea that is. And some of the comments on Facebook under the article are downright scary. The size of the cups some of those people are going to bring..

Ha! I heard about that. And I was thinking "The last thing I need is a 'trough' of slurpee." Talk about blowing your calories for an entire day.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    That I would take comfort in being a few pounds overweight. Everyone tells me I'm too thin. I somethimes think I'm too thin. My doctor wanted reassurance that I wasn't planning on losing more weight. When I go shopping and see the clothing sizes I'm buying, I tend to freak myself out a bit because in my head a US 4-6 is tiny and I never wanted to be tiny. The fact that my BMI is 25.8 actually helps keep me sane. I remember that my BF% is still 28 and my BMI is just into the overweight category and that this is perfect for someone soon to be 49. I used to discount BMI as nonsense. Now, it's my lifeline of reassurance. Go figure.

My mom was small when she was in her early 20's. I tried on one of her 60's party dresses for a costume party once. It was labeled size 12. I was a modern size 5 and I still had to suck in to get it zipped. Just shows how fat we've all gotten used to being.
  • 2legoboys
    2legoboys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that if you are losing weight to impress another person or get someone's attention it will not be sustainable. at least for me--I had to get to a place where I was getting healthy for ME no one else. AND...I got brave enough to try things I hadn't tried before--kick boxing, hot yoga, a 5K Turkey Trot--the confidence leaks over into other parts of your life.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    That I would take comfort in being a few pounds overweight. Everyone tells me I'm too thin. I somethimes think I'm too thin. My doctor wanted reassurance that I wasn't planning on losing more weight. When I go shopping and see the clothing sizes I'm buying, I tend to freak myself out a bit because in my head a US 4-6 is tiny and I never wanted to be tiny. The fact that my BMI is 25.8 actually helps keep me sane. I remember that my BF% is still 28 and my BMI is just into the overweight category and that this is perfect for someone soon to be 49. I used to discount BMI as nonsense. Now, it's my lifeline of reassurance. Go figure.

My mom was small when she was in her early 20's. I tried on one of her 60's party dresses for a costume party once. It was labeled size 12. I was a modern size 5 and I still had to suck in to get it zipped. Just shows how fat we've all gotten used to being.

Geez Louise what was their size zero, then? Maybe the sizes back then also covered children? I bet I'm gonna do some research on this, color me curious!
  • shalak14
    shalak14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's mostly mental.

That it takes time for your brain to catch up.

That you can arrive at your goal weight and be unhappy with what you see.

Similarly, that losing weight will not fix your self-esteem (mine got worse for awhile).

That maintenance can be harder than losing, at least at first.

I agree. I am at that point were I have low self esteem. I lost almost 60 pounds and I live in a sweater and yoga pants because I feel awful. I know I'll get over and continue to do the right thing for my body. I have also found muscles I never knew I had.