Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Santa Barbara shooting

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    My son goes to UCSB and I even know the apartment building where Rodger lived quite well. Thank you. And, yes, I blame guns. Hell yes I blame guns. The fact that you can say "Well, yeah, deaths happen all the time that are not caused by guns" does not exonerate our lax and irresponsible gun laws. The is a stupid argument. I am quite sure the parents of the two girls shot outside the sorority -- killed very rapidly and easily, without the slightest chance of defending themselves -- and the father of the boy who was just buying a sandwich would agree.

There are too many gun laws in California as it is and they are not enforced. I blame law enforcement and State mental health, and the parents. There were warning signs, action could have been taken but it wasn't.

Sure, hindsight is twenty-twenty. That's the cliche because it is true. Easy to see the signs after the fact. Not so with the present. The present is never so transparent and predictable.
    Better to restrict or get rid of the guns. Another gun is not a shield for the innocents and potential, and actual, victims and never will be. Dodge City was not the safest city in America because everyone had a gun to defend themselves. It was actually the most violent and deadly.
    Time to say our children -- your children, my children, Santa Barbara's children, Newtown's children, Columbine's children, Sparks', Nev., children, etc. -- are more important than unrestricted access and ownership. Seems the lesser price to pay...

Sorry, I don't agree with the restriction or ban on guns. People kill people. What device they use is not as important as is the why do they kill people. This POS killed three people with a knife but I don't see anyone saying a word about that except Crazy Steve. Earlier this year a crazy POS killed 38 people in China with a knife. I have seen people killed with all kinds of weapons unfortunately in my previous career as a firefighter. Gun laws keep lawful people from being able to protect themselves. They don't apply to people like this or the gang bangers in Chicago because they don't care. They are going to do what they want to do without thought as to what weapon they use. They will use what is available.

So, your argument is that I, walking down the street, or going to school, completely unawares, have just as much chance to defend myself against a shooter with an automatic standing at a distance as I have against a guy with a knife.
    I am sorry. That makes no sense. That is not good thinking.
    Of course people die from things other than guns. That does not mean guns aren't dangerous. That is just not even an argument... Think again, please.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    .....aaaaaannnnnnddddd here we go.
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    My son goes to UCSB and I even know the apartment building where Rodger lived quite well. Thank you. And, yes, I blame guns. Hell yes I blame guns. The fact that you can say "Well, yeah, deaths happen all the time that are not caused by guns" does not exonerate our lax and irresponsible gun laws. The is a stupid argument. I am quite sure the parents of the two girls shot outside the sorority -- killed very rapidly and easily, without the slightest chance of defending themselves -- and the father of the boy who was just buying a sandwich would agree.

There are too many gun laws in California as it is and they are not enforced. I blame law enforcement and State mental health, and the parents. There were warning signs, action could have been taken but it wasn't.

Sure, hindsight is twenty-twenty. That's the cliche because it is true. Easy to see the signs after the fact. Not so with the present. The present is never so transparent and predictable.
    Better to restrict or get rid of the guns. Another gun is not a shield for the innocents and potential, and actual, victims and never will be. Dodge City was not the safest city in America because everyone had a gun to defend themselves. It was actually the most violent and deadly.
    Time to say our children -- your children, my children, Santa Barbara's children, Newtown's children, Columbine's children, Sparks', Nev., children, etc. -- are more important than unrestricted access and ownership. Seems the lesser price to pay...

+1
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Am I the only one who really dislikes it when people use a tragedy to further an agenda?
  • ElizaKat001
    ElizaKat001 Posts: 28 Member
    He was a psycho. That's really all there is to be said about him. Here's his writings describing his plans to attack.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-isla-vista-document-20140524-story.html#page=3

dismissing violent misogynists as "crazy" is a neat way of saying that violent misogyny is an individual problem and not a cultural one

Thanks so much for saying this.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member

Sorry, I don't agree with the restriction or ban on guns. People kill people. What device they use is not as important as is the why do they kill people. This POS killed three people with a knife but I don't see anyone saying a word about that except Crazy Steve. Earlier this year a crazy POS killed 38 people in China with a knife. I have seen people killed with all kinds of weapons unfortunately in my previous career as a firefighter. Gun laws keep lawful people from being able to protect themselves. They don't apply to people like this or the gang bangers in Chicago because they don't care. They are going to do what they want to do without thought as to what weapon they use. They will use what is available.

So, your argument is that I, walking down the street, or going to school, completely unawares, have just as much chance to defend myself against a shooter with an automatic standing at a distance as I have against a guy with a knife.
    I am sorry. That makes no sense. That is not good thinking.
    Of course people die from things other than guns. That does not mean guns aren't dangerous. That is just not even an argument... Think again, please.

Nope that wasn't my argument. I was just stating my opinion.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Am I the only one who really dislikes it when people use a tragedy to further an agenda?

Excuse me? This is not "furthering an agenda." This is not capitalizing on a horrible event because it is not abstract. This is personal to me. My son attends the school, and could have been in the line of fire.
    I believe it should be personal to anyone who has family they would like to protect. This can happen anywhere and does happen anywhere.
    I must say, your snide remark comes across as rather callous.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    In for a later read.
  • Allencp78
    Allencp78 Posts: 9 Member
    Unfortunately, it only happens in "gun free zones" like schools, movie theaters, etc. Laws do not prevent crime.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Maybe I'm cold-hearted, but I don't feel very much sympathy for him. All of my sympathy goes out to the families of his victims.

Exactly and the sad thing is the news will focus on him and little will be said about the victims. Typical news.
  • RockWarrior84
    Unfortunately, it only happens in "gun free zones" like schools, movie theaters, etc. Laws do not prevent crime.

"gun free zones"? If you have a conceal carry you can have a gun on campuses. These events happen all over, it just so happens schools get more news coverage then a street shooting. Look at all the shootings in Chicago, how many end up on national news?
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    He was a psycho. That's really all there is to be said about him. Here's his writings describing his plans to attack.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-isla-vista-document-20140524-story.html#page=3

dismissing violent misogynists as "crazy" is a neat way of saying that violent misogyny is an individual problem and not a cultural one

^what da faq? misogyny is an individual problem?

what do you mean its a cultural one??
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    I was going to avoid posting in this, but I really do think it is interesting how this discussion so quickly diverted to gun control. Even further proves the point how, as a society, we avoid acknowledging misogyny as a legitimate problem and how we even normalize such behavior.
  • MrTolerable

"gun free zones"? If you have a conceal carry you can have a gun on campuses. These events happen all over, it just so happens schools get more news coverage then a street shooting. Look at all the shootings in Chicago, how many end up on national news?

chicago is basically a gun free zone brah. and I have my conceal carry and I can't carry on campuses, or into court, and into a few other places as well..

honestly I wish more women were trained to conceal carry.. its the loudest rape whistle you can prob get.
  • Allencp78
    Allencp78 Posts: 9 Member

The concealed carry laws vary from state to state. In many states, like Texas, you cannot carry on campus, municipal buildings, at sporting events, or into any privately owned building that has the required sign (30.06 oddly enough) that states that they do not allow concealed carry in their building.

My point is laws that disarm the lawful do nothing to prevent crime. Maybe if we got rid of all weapons there would be no more wars and everyone could live in harmony and "hug it out" whenever there is a disagreement. It's not reality. It's a horrible thing that happened. There are horrible evil people in the world. Always have been. Always will be.
  • MrTolerable
    I was going to avoid posting in this, but I really do think it is interesting how this discussion so quickly diverted to gun control. Even further proves the point how, as a society, we avoid acknowledging misogyny as a legitimate problem and how we even normalize such behavior.

Misogyny would be easier labeled if everything a guy does wasn't thrown under that handle... pay for a meal, open a door.. read hugh jackman's interview last week in mens fitness? he was accused of being a misogynist for holding open a door for a women.

It turned into a catch all phrase.. and people throwing around how its a cultural thing is batsh!t.

there are crazies and they do crazy things.. you can't make sense of senselessness.
  • RockWarrior84

chicago is basically a gun free zone brah. and I have my conceal carry and I can't carry on campuses, or into court, and into a few other places as well..

honestly I wish more women were trained to conceal carry.. its the loudest rape whistle you can prob get.

Def varies from state to state. In oregon you can carry on campuses with conceal.
  • MrTolerable

Thanks so much for saying this.

da faq you talking about?! Cultural?!

Is this Saudi Arabia we are talking about?!
  • MrTolerable

Def varies from state to state. In oregon you can carry on campuses with conceal.

Yeah the college I went to in Virginia let us carry on campus, but you couldn't keep them in the dorms..

def a state to state thing.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member

it sure does

ETA completely agree
This discussion has been closed.