Santa Barbara shooting

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who really dislikes it when people use a tragedy to further an agenda?

Not the only one. I hate it too.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who really dislikes it when people use a tragedy to further an agenda?

If they didn't we'd have to rely solely on Salem's other thousand posts to know she hates men.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

dismissing violent misogynists as "crazy" is a neat way of saying that violent misogyny is an individual problem and not a cultural one

THIS!!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

If they didn't we'd have to rely solely on Salem's other thousand posts to know she hates men.

glad you said something.. so she just hates men. ...this is seriously why I have always enjoyed dating international women so much more then domestic girls...

Its comparing ladies to girls period. there were all good things with the first feminist movement.. and then it just became hating on dudes.. makes no sense to me.

One lucky thing about Salem is if we call her a witch she would prob welcome it with the weirdo name and occultist necklace.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

dismissing violent misogynists as "crazy" is a neat way of saying that violent misogyny is an individual problem and not a cultural one

THIS!!

^this what?

What da faq are you guys talking about!?!
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My son goes to UCSB and I even know the apartment building where Rodger lived quite well. Thank you. And, yes, I blame guns. Hell yes I blame guns. The fact that you can say "Well, yeah, deaths happen all the time that are not caused by guns" does not exonerate our lax and irresponsible gun laws. The is a stupid argument. I am quite sure the parents of the two girls shot outside the sorority -- killed very rapidly and easily, without the slightest chance of defending themselves -- and the father of the boy who was just buying a sandwich would agree.

Interesting, prior to the gun control act of 1968 anyone could buy a firearm through the mail or walk into any hardware store and pick up an old military rifle or handgun out of a barrel full of them and pay the money and walk out the door. But prior to then a ‘mass shooting” was nearly unheard of, if guns and their ‘easy availability” are at fault today how does one explain that?
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    My son goes to UCSB and I even know the apartment building where Rodger lived quite well. Thank you. And, yes, I blame guns. Hell yes I blame guns. The fact that you can say "Well, yeah, deaths happen all the time that are not caused by guns" does not exonerate our lax and irresponsible gun laws. The is a stupid argument. I am quite sure the parents of the two girls shot outside the sorority -- killed very rapidly and easily, without the slightest chance of defending themselves -- and the father of the boy who was just buying a sandwich would agree.

Interesting, prior to the gun control act of 1968 anyone could buy a firearm through the mail or walk into any hardware store and pick up an old military rifle or handgun out of a barrel full of them and pay the money and walk out the door. But prior to then a ‘mass shooting” was nearly unheard of, if guns and their ‘ease availability” are at fault today how does one explain that?

^antidepressants

every single mass shooter has been on them, and lots of them. But big pharma lobbies and lobbies to keep this on the DL.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

There are too many gun laws in California as it is and they are not enforced. I blame law enforcement and State mental health, and the parents. There were warning signs, action could have been taken but it wasn't.

Sure, hindsight is twenty-twenty. That's the cliche because it is true. Easy to see the signs after the fact. Not so with the present. The present is never so transparent and predictable.
    Better to restrict or get rid of the guns. Another gun is not a shield for the innocents and potential, and actual, victims and never will be. Dodge City was not the safest city in America because everyone had a gun to defend themselves. It was actually the most violent and deadly.
    Time to say our children -- your children, my children, Santa Barbara's children, Newtown's children, Columbine's children, Sparks', Nev., children, etc. -- are more important than unrestricted access and ownership. Seems the lesser price to pay...

If more gun control is the answer to a 'safer city" please explain Chicago or Los Angeles...
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

glad you said something.. so she just hates men. ...this is seriously why I have always enjoyed dating international women so much more then domestic girls...

Its comparing ladies to girls period. there were all good things with the first feminist movement.. and then it just became hating on dudes.. makes no sense to me.

One lucky thing about Salem is if we call her a witch she would prob welcome it with the weirdo name and occultist necklace.

A.) Quality women can be found all around the world, just as immature girls can be too...

B.) Feminism is seen as a bad word now because many people, even those who claim it for their own, don't fully understand it. It's not supposed to be about hate, it's not supposed to be about women being better than men, it's not supposed to be about women BEING treated as men. It's suppose to be about women having the strength and courage to be who they want to be, who they really are. If you truly want to be a housewife then that is a beautiful thing and should be persued, however, if you don't want that life and you want to go after a high power career then do it.

I hate when feminists tear down the opposite sex or women who choose to do something against their own beliefs, it defeats the purpose of the whole movement...
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    SSRI antidepressants to be exact.

Blaming guns is scoffing at fact.. look at the knifing in China or violent crime in England, even when its done there is a huge link to SSRI antidepressants.

if it wasn't guns then it would be a bomb, or a knife or just about anything a wicked person could think of.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options

There are too many gun laws in California as it is and they are not enforced. I blame law enforcement and State mental health, and the parents. There were warning signs, action could have been taken but it wasn't.

Sure, hindsight is twenty-twenty. That's the cliche because it is true. Easy to see the signs after the fact. Not so with the present. The present is never so transparent and predictable.
    Better to restrict or get rid of the guns. Another gun is not a shield for the innocents and potential, and actual, victims and never will be. Dodge City was not the safest city in America because everyone had a gun to defend themselves. It was actually the most violent and deadly.
    Time to say our children -- your children, my children, Santa Barbara's children, Newtown's children, Columbine's children, Sparks', Nev., children, etc. -- are more important than unrestricted access and ownership. Seems the lesser price to pay...

Chicago has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation (federal law just madated that Illinois establish a conceal carry permit law, because conceal carry was previously NOT an option) and they have some of the highest gun violence in the country.

Texas, on the other hand, which has open carry, has some of the lowest gun violence in the country.

As several have said, HE NEEDED HELP. His parents called BEFORE anything happened and the police decided they knew better than the parents and dismissed it.

Just thinking that had the girls been carrying, maybe they would have been able to defend themselves.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

A.) Quality women can be found all around the world, just as immature girls can be too...

B.) Feminism is seen as a bad word now because many people, even those who claim it for their own, don't fully understand it. It's not supposed to be about hate, it's not supposed to be about women being better than men, it's not supposed to be about women BEING treated as men. It's suppose to be about women having the strength and courage to be who they want to be, who they really are. If you truly want to be a housewife then that is a beautiful thing and should be persued, however, if you don't want that life and you want to go after a high power career then do it.

I hate when feminists tear down the opposite sex or women who choose to do something against their own beliefs, it defeats the purpose of the whole movement...

*tips hat, and smiles hoping this attitude gets catchy*
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Please don't agree with me/piggyback my comments. It makes me nauseous.

Then don't post observations about a mutual enemy on a public forum brah.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    While I do not like turning this topic into a gun control thread and taking away from the victims. I just have to say that even with all of the gun control in the world in place or even lack there of. None of it would have mattered for the guys roommates who were not shot but stabbed. This just shows that it is about the person and not object used.

All i can say is remember the victims and do not make this political for gun control or make it about the shooter. I hate events like this where nobody remembers the names of the vicitms but remember the shooter. I do not remember the victims and I know names like Kip Kinkle. To me it just makes them more famous and their names like on unlike the victims.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Un-winable argument is un-winable.

I can identify with both sides of the fence. It is NOT the gun's fault. It's a failing mixture of personal responsibility and the enforcing of laws already on the books.

I'm going to be cliche here, but did spoons/forks make me fat. Hell no. ME/MYSELF/I made me fat UTILIZING spoons/forks. The "vehicle" for murder/assault isn't to blame. It's the operator.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it's horrific. I have a cousin at UCSB; his mom was worried out of her mind. So, so sad for the victims, and their families. No sympathy at all for the killer. Just reading articles about him turns my stomach.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options

As several have said, HE NEEDED HELP. His parents called BEFORE anything happened and the police decided they knew better than the parents and dismissed it.

Just thinking that had the girls been carrying, maybe they would have been able to defend themselves.

This is more to do with the fact that his parents CALLED someone rather than take responsibility for their misguided jacked up child. Mental illness and the lack of effective parenting have more to do with this than any gun control agrument.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I wish he would've been given the metal healthy he obviously needed. There were videos posted days ago that were warnings of what he was about to do. His parents informed authorities, who did nothing. They deemed him not to be a threat because he didn't have any weapons, but how can that be when all the guns and ammo he used were legally purchased and registered to him.

Such a horrible tragedy. Already one of the victims has been identified as a local, and UCSB is a popular nearby college so possibly more locals involved :-( So sad, I was just in Isla Vista only a few weekends ago and thinking what a nice little beach town area :-(

He was in mental health outpatient treatment. At least that's what the one news article I read said.
This discussion has been closed.