Help! how to lean out?

Options
bbunny95
bbunny95 Posts: 18 Member
Hi guys, i'm an 18 year old girl, my journey into fitness and working out started about two years ago, i decided that running would be the best for me because it's cardio and it burned a nice ammount of calories, problem is... i now have bulky legs that do not go well with the rest of my body and are not what i expected or wanted at all!
I need your help, what kind of workouts should i do to get leaner legs, i always had a very delicate frame as you can see in my pic my arms are very thin, so i really am out of porportion and have no idea of what to do! :frown:

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, i'm an 18 year old girl, my journey into fitness and working out started about two years ago, i decided that running would be the best for me because it's cardio and it burned a nice ammount of calories, problem is... i now have bulky legs that do not go well with the rest of my body and are not what i expected or wanted at all!
    I need your help, what kind of workouts should i do to get leaner legs, i always had a very delicate frame as you can see in my pic my arms are very thin, so i really am out of porportion and have no idea of what to do! :frown:

Based on this post and your entries in other threads I doubt that the problem is "bulky legs". Distance running is not generally a bulk producing activity nor is bulk easy for a female even with deliberate attempts to gain. What I've noticed in your posts is a low goal weight, no form of upper body exercise, an admission of an unhealthy relationship with food, and indications of a skewed body image.

First fix your relationship with food and body image issues. Until then any workout or eating plan is working towards an unhealthy goal.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I agree with brianpperkins
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

No endurance runner I know has bulky legs - male or female.

12392407463_187e168b35.jpg

12369980034_975a68ee49.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating at a surplus and lifting heavy weights to build some muscle everywhere else to create better proportions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i decided that running would be the best for me... i now have bulky legs....

Really?! :huh:
    my arms are very thin so i really am out of porportion and have no idea of what to do! :frown:

Add muscle to your very thin arms perhaps?
  • bbunny95
    Options
    Guys listen my problem with food is eating way too much because i love it, but about a month ago i started controling my portions and it helped me because it basically "resetted" my stomach size, wich means that i'm not as hungry as i used to be, it's not THAT kind of unhealthy relationship you might think as in eating disorder.
    My goal weight is 50 because it's the weight i've had before i started eating like crazy, and my ideal body is a lean delicate frame i'm not meaning getting like all bony, and my legs are bulkier than the ones that those runners have, i wanted them to be like that, i have short aductors so they get really thick with little exercise, the rest of my body is pretty lean except for that part, i was just asking if there was a way to lean them. I'm not planning in adding many more muscles to my arms they're already toned, and so is my stomach.
    I appreciate your worries guys but i just decided to clear this up cuz everyone is thinking the same and i understand why
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Goal weight... is... 50 pounds???? :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Get help OP.
  • FutureMrsM2015
    FutureMrsM2015 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Goal weight... is... 50 pounds???? :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Get help OP.

I believe she meant 50 kg (I took a look at her profile), which is 110#

Even that is low for some. How tall are you OP?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Get help OP.

I think, upon looking at her profile, she means 50kg, so about 110 pounds.

That aside I'm still all 'wha?' at her thinking those runners have bulky legs.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Get help OP.

Post history says she's about 5'6"
  • FutureMrsM2015
    Options

Get help OP.

Post history says she's about 5'6"

Thanks
  • FutureMrsM2015
    Options
    OP, all I can say is that I don't believe you are truly going to get what you really need off of the forums. I whole heartedly believe that you should see a doctor/therapist.

I know this is not what you're original post was about, ignore if you like, just looking out for you.

I've had an as ED (Binge eating that eventually turned into Bulimia) since I was in middle school, finding a good therapist a year ago has done me wonders. My mind is healthy now, so now, I can finally work on my body the healthy way.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    In another post you state you have trouble sticking to a regular exercise routine, but now you've run so much your legs have become bulky? You can't have it both ways, you know. And, as others have said, endurance runners have lean thighs, period. It has to do with the type of muscle fibers activated by different activities.

You need to start being real with yourself. Your problem is not that you eat too much. Your body image is skewed in a potentially very harmful and damaging way. I really hope you seek some professional help.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OP a full body pic showing this disproportianate figure should clear this up and lead to better suggestions.
  • bbunny95
    Options
    i did not say those runners had bulky legs..i said the complete opposite i was explaning that theirs werent, seriously i think this is being a big misunderstanding, as i've explained i've got very short aductors muscles a thing that even impeded me from going on with ballet dancing, and that's why they actually are bulky, i was just asking if there was a way to lean them this is like a big snowball of misundersanding lol
  • bbunny95
    Options
    i'm defintly gona try and do that because this is escalating really fast lmao
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Guys listen my problem with food is eating way too much because i love it, but about a month ago i started controling my portions and it helped me because it basically "resetted" my stomach size, wich means that i'm not as hungry as i used to be, it's not THAT kind of unhealthy relationship you might think as in eating disorder.
    My goal weight is 50 because it's the weight i've had before i started eating like crazy, and my ideal body is a lean delicate frame i'm not meaning getting like all bony, and my legs are bulkier than the ones that those runners have, i wanted them to be like that, i have short aductors so they get really thick with little exercise, the rest of my body is pretty lean except for that part, i was just asking if there was a way to lean them. I'm not planning in adding many more muscles to my arms they're already toned, and so is my stomach.
    I appreciate your worries guys but i just decided to clear this up cuz everyone is thinking the same and i understand why

You understand why because deep down you know we're telling you the truth. Until you fix your relationship with food and body image issues it is impossible for you to move forward in a healthy manner.
  • bbunny95
    Options

You understand why because deep down you know we're telling you the truth. Until you fix your relationship with food and body image issues it is impossible for you to move forward in a healthy manner.

No.. i understand why, because it sounds like a low weight but im not that much above it and i've been in that weight before, it's low for some but it's my natural weight, i do not have an unhealthy relationship with food, i dont binge and purge and i don't restrict...i think everyone is jumping into conclusions, i know you all mean well but you are all seriousy so far away from it ...my question was merely if it was possible to lean out my legs, because they are bulky from running due to my short aductors muscles, they are short so while the others create muscle and look like the ones in the pics, mine have the same ammount of muscle but in a shorter space, wich means they get thicker, but whatever seriously im not even worrying anymore of it ugh
  • brianpperkins
    Options

No.. i understand why, because it sounds like a low weight but im not that much above it and i've been in that weight before, it's low for some but it's my natural weight, i do not have an unhealthy relationship with food, i dont binge and purge and i don't restrict...i think everyone is jumping into conclusions, i know you all mean well but you are all seriousy so far away from it ...my question was merely if it was possible to lean out my legs, because they are bulky from running due to my short aductors muscles, they are short so while the others create muscle and look like the ones in the pics, mine have the same ammount of muscle but in a shorter space, wich means they get thicker, but whatever seriously im not even worrying anymore of it ugh
    Your profile says "About Me:
    My relationship with food has never been the best one, i get really carried away with food without thinking if it's good for me or not. " Two days ago you stated "(p.s: i do have an unhealthy relationship with food but im trying to work with it)".

Now you claim you don't. The fact you cannot get your story straight is telling. Chronologically you might be an adult ... physically you are still developing and your attitude shows a need for further maturation.

Distance running DOES NOT PRODUCE BULK.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Who said she was doing distance running?
    I can't see anything?
    Sprinters tend to be muscular.
    While running long distances can lead to some muscle loss, it's more than to be good at it, you need the lowest weight possible and that means as little muscle as possible.

Long distance running with inadequate nutrition IS the sort of workout that may lead to muscle loss, as it goes.
    I doubt it was specifically related, but when I did a 32 mile trail ultramarathon while at a deficit (I did carb load the day before and ate plenty that day and the day after), I knocked 10% off my squats, which didn't recover until my 1000 calorie deficit was tapered off.
    I suspect it was more down to fatigue and inadequate resources for recovery, however.

For the record, OP, the consensus on MFP is that you are allowed to:
    Be happy being fat.
    Desire to be muscular.

You are absolutely not 'allowed' to desire a slim and non-muscular look from what I've seen

I'm lucky enough that I'm a reasonably large framed bloke that suits a muscular look.

Just as, all so often 'fat shaming' gets all sorts of vitriol, from the very people that are happy to 'skinny shame'.