Help! how to lean out?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Very simply; I was making the OP aware that MFP in general doesn't like 'this sort of thing' - wanting to have less muscle.
    That IS the way it is, yes? I don't think anyone is disagreeing?

4TWHnmr.gif
  • bbunny95
    bbunny95 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

>I do not have eating disorders!!!<
    I'm just trying to mantain my weight, when i say i have an unhealthy relationship with food i mean that sometimes i over eat, and sometimes i eat crap!! (my normal diet being vegetarian, most of the things i eat are very low calorie!!so when i eat crap i'm not used to i worry!!) And i worry about it because i worry about my weight as most teenage girls would, yes i did write a post in wich i worried about my calorie intake, because i felt really full after dinner and was worried that it would get into fat or something because i was going to sleep, i don't eat alot not because i'm restricting or anything like that, i eat when i'm hungry, when i'm not i don't! That's it!
    and oh my god people if i knew there would be such scandal over a little post like this i wouldn't have written it i would have simply googled leaning exercises for thighs or something like that lol!
    Seriously guys, my natural weight has always been 50 (KILOGRAMS),most of the weight that i have on now is from the muscles on my legs that yes are muscular and they're not with any atrophy or anything, they're just short muscles.. and guess what i'm not a long distance runner, i run fast for about 30 minutes and that's probably building muscle, you are all worrying alot about me i appreciate that i really do, but seriously WHYYY?!?! I regret this post

you're (allegedly) 18 years old. you don't have a natural weight (whatever that even is) yet.

This. So much this.

And don't even getting me started on building muscle while eating 1300 calories a day

I'M NOT TRYING TO BUILD MUSCLE!!!! UGGHHH
    As i've said i eat when i'm hungry, i eat healthy balanced meals, but i eat a vegetarian diet, wich means even if i eat a soup/salad/protein(tofu or beans) it will round up to 200/300 per meal!!! i'm not suffering from disordered eating i was just trying to see if it was possible to slim down muscle in my legs T.T
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome. Two thumbs up!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I'm just trying to mantain my weight, when i say i have an unhealthy relationship with food i mean that sometimes i over eat, and sometimes i eat crap!! (my normal diet being vegetarian, most of the things i eat are very low calorie!!so when i eat crap i'm not used to i worry!!) And i worry about it because i worry about my weight as most teenage girls would, yes i did write a post in wich i worried about my calorie intake, because i felt really full after dinner and was worried that it would get into fat or something because i was going to sleep, i don't eat alot not because i'm restricting or anything like that, i eat when i'm hungry, when i'm not i don't! That's it!
    and oh my god people if i knew there would be such scandal over a little post like this i wouldn't have written it i would have simply googled leaning exercises for thighs or something like that lol!
    Seriously guys, my natural weight has always been 50 (KILOGRAMS),most of the weight that i have on now is from the muscles on my legs that yes are muscular and they're not with any atrophy or anything, they're just short muscles.. and guess what i'm not a long distance runner, i run fast for about 30 minutes and that's probably building muscle, you are all worrying alot about me i appreciate that i really do, but seriously WHYYY?!?! I regret this post

you're (allegedly) 18 years old. you don't have a natural weight (whatever that even is) yet.

This. So much this.

And don't even getting me started on building muscle while eating 1300 calories a day

I'M NOT TRYING TO BUILD MUSCLE!!!! UGGHHH
    As i've said i eat when i'm hungry, i eat healthy balanced meals, but i eat a vegetarian diet, wich means even if i eat a soup/salad/protein(tofu or beans) it will round up to 200/300 per meal!!! i'm not suffering from disordered eating i was just trying to see if it was possible to slim down muscle in my legs T.T

So are your other post lies or is this one a lie? Given the disconnect between the two, there is no way both are true.

Nothing you do for exercise or diet would produce "bulky" muscular legs for you to "lean out." Your diet has not included enough caloric intake to produce "bulk" ... your macro nutrient intake doesn't support "bulk" production ... a few random jogs does not produce "bulk" ... however a skewed body image sees bulk where it does not exist. That skewed image has you randomly picking a goal weight (as you've admitted in other threads it was the result of "no special reason, i just think im very bulky and i could slim down a little bit more") when your BMI is at the low end (again, not likely to be "bulky") ... but it is your body to do with whatever you want. If you choose unhealthy paths ...its on you.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Very simply; I was making the OP aware that MFP in general doesn't like 'this sort of thing' - wanting to have less muscle.
    That IS the way it is, yes? I don't think anyone is disagreeing?
    I did not say any more than that. - and I did not offers reasons why - whether I believe it was for justifiable reasons or not.

Actually, you've stated you agree with posts that directly contradict your ever lengthening diatribes ... not the other way around. People who need to lose weight are routinely told that diet and caloric deficit are for weight loss ... exercise for fitness. If you choose to interpret that as what you stated in this quote, that shows a comprehension issue and a need to twist reality to fit a skewed view of reality (a commonality with the OP).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Actually, you've stated you agree with posts that directly contradict your ever lengthening diatribes ... not the other way around. People who need to lose weight are routinely told that diet and caloric deficit are for weight loss ... exercise for fitness. If you choose to interpret that as what you stated in this quote, that shows a comprehension issue and a need to twist reality to fit a skewed view of reality (a commonality with the OP).
    That I recall, I've agreed with one post and that hasn't contradicted anything I've said.
    If you feel it has, please highlight exactly where to backup your beliefs.

I have not chosen to interpret people being calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness as people on MFP not liking those wishing to have a body composition with less muscle.
    Nope, that would be the posts I've seen where people mention not wanting such a muscular look and get told they are anorexic, that it is a bad thing to want and so on, even in cases where they are obviously not (which just to be clear, as people in this discussion seem to have an issue with jumping to conclusions, I'm not commenting on here, in regards to this thread - just in general.)
  • DavPul
    Options
    You should probably create your own thread so you can work thru your suspicions about the general intent of MFP posters instead of hijacking this girl's thread for your soapbox.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    That I recall, I've agreed with one post and that hasn't contradicted anything I've said.
    If you feel it has, please highlight exactly where to backup your beliefs.

I have not chosen to interpret people being calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness as people on MFP not liking those wishing to have a body composition with less muscle.
    Nope, that would be the posts I've seen where people mention not wanting such a muscular look and get told they are anorexic, that it is a bad thing to want and so on, even in cases where they are obviously not (which just to be clear, as people in this discussion seem to have an issue with jumping to conclusions, I'm not commenting on here, in regards to this thread - just in general.)
    "just in general" ... the fall back of those who live in a world where specifics don't fit their world view.

Let's look at the specifics here ... the OP states she "jogs" in another thread and that she runs for 30 minutes "fast" in this thread, you go off on sprinting when everything she describes is a form of distance running. She claims to be "bulky" although eating far too few calories and doing nowhere near the type exercise required to produce bulk ... yet you rally around her position. The OP is 18 years old ... still physically maturing ... yet you support her delusion of a "natural weight" at some arbitrarily selected number. Then you go off about generalities around MFP about a perception against slim, non-muscular appearances after everything you try to support is an indefensible position. Ranting about a perceived persecution of a group to defend unhealthy decisions is not helping anyone.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    BTW, suk ... Doggy style, you're doing it wrong.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    To the OP - you should read about body dysmorphia. I had it in the past and sounded just like you. I was super skinny way back when and I thought my thighs and *kitten* were "heavy". Looking at those photos now, I had a frickin' thigh gap and was model thin!

The point I am making is that you sound like you have a distorted view of your body. If you have low self esteem, feel like you have to be perfect in order to be acceptable, and generally are fixated on your looks/body and allow that to define how good you feel about yourself, you MAY have a problem.

I will tell you that if you DO have body dysmorphia, it can be a part of disordered eating. If you have it and don't address it, you will NEVER be satisfied with yourself, regardless of how thin/pretty you are. It's worth considering. Only you and a good therapist will know for sure.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Specifics; 30 minute runs you associate with the endurance runners pictured who would likely consider six times that at a 'short' run?

While we're at it, she also specifies she has previously been overeating (in the past, not now), putting on weight I would presume - ideal time for muscle growth.

I have more than once, I believe, clarified that I was not suggesting the OP was a sprinter, I was merely offering an example at the other end of an extreme. Please take the time to READ what I have written before you try and respond to things that have alread been clarified as not being the case.

Please show specifically where I have 'supported' the suggestion of a natural weight.
    You have very clearly stated that this is what I have done, so if YOUR position is at all defensible, I'm sure you'll find it VERY easy to show where I have done this.
    If you would like I CAN show you where I have suggested the exact OPPOSITE.

But then you might find it easier to carry on making up your own 'facts' to fit your own 'story' instead?

My first post which caused all this kerffuffle was generalities around MFP's dislike for people that desire certain body compositions - this is what seems to be sustaining all the angst I'm seeing.

It may be unhealthy to have less muscle (I'm still waiting for some evidence on this - please do provide it); what irks me is that this particular desire is picked up on when many others are not.
    You should probably create your own thread so you can work thru your suspicions about the general intent of MFP posters instead of hijacking this girl's thread for your soapbox.
    Right back at ya.
    I provided a bit of information, now repeatedly shown to be true.
    People don't like that I'm providing said information and are trying to read an awful lot into it - I would guess to justify their dislike of not liking me providing the information?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

This is so true. I'm a bit over 5'7" and i was 116 lbs when I started college. At the time I thought that was my natural weight ... looking back, I was overly thin but that was related to my age and my body still maturing. I'm 131 lbs now (20 years later) and that's still plenty thin.

Re the bulking, I don't think anyone thought you were trying to bulk; they meant that given your intake levels and exercise you're doing, it's impossible to add bulk. I do agree that you may have some mild body dysmorphia. I don't want to add to the pile-on but it might be worth reading up on. I'm also jealous b/c I've always wanted more bulky leg muscles. ;) I have a little dysmorphia in the other direction (not clinically, but in the sense that many of us are our own worst critics) in that I've always found my calves overly scrawny, refusing to wear shorts or skirts for a long time, until I finally realized they are perfectly fine. ;)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Specifics; 30 minute runs you associate with the endurance runners pictured who would likely consider six times that at a 'short' run?

While we're at it, she also specifies she has previously been overeating (in the past, not now), putting on weight I would presume - ideal time for muscle growth.

I have more than once, I believe, clarified that I was not suggesting the OP was a sprinter, I was merely offering an example at the other end of an extreme. Please take the time to READ what I have written before you try and respond to things that have alread been clarified as not being the case.

Please show specifically where I have 'supported' the suggestion of a natural weight.
    You have very clearly stated that this is what I have done, so if YOUR position is at all defensible, I'm sure you'll find it VERY easy to show where I have done this.
    If you would like I CAN show you where I have suggested the exact OPPOSITE.

But then you might find it easier to carry on making up your own 'facts' to fit your own 'story' instead?

My first post which caused all this kerffuffle was generalities around MFP's dislike for people that desire certain body compositions - this is what seems to be sustaining all the angst I'm seeing.

It may be unhealthy to have less muscle (I'm still waiting for some evidence on this - please do provide it); what irks me is that this particular desire is picked up on when many others are not.
    Right back at ya.
    I provided a bit of information, now repeatedly shown to be true.
    People don't like that I'm providing said information and are trying to read an awful lot into it - I would guess to justify their dislike of not liking me providing the information?

What she refers to as overeating is well below what calculators such as Scooby's put her daily intake at for TDEE-20% .. a far too aggressive loss plan for ten pounds when already at the lower end of healthy weight. Again you choose to defend an unhealthy and foolish approach by the OP. Every time you tacitly reinforce her misguided ideas you offer her support. Your denial of supporting her concepts as believable as her denying unhealthy food relationships and skewed body image. I'm trying to figure out if you or the OP is deeper in denial and which of you makes the most absurd posts .... it is close competition (and not one a person should strive to win).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 50 because it's the weight i've had before i started eating like crazy, and my ideal body is a lean delicate frame i'm not meaning getting like all bony, and my legs are bulkier than the ones that those runners have, i wanted them to be like that, i have short aductors so they get really thick with little exercise, the rest of my body is pretty lean except for that part, i was just asking if there was a way to lean them. I'm not planning in adding many more muscles to my arms they're already toned, and so is my stomach.

...my question was merely if it was possible to lean out my legs, because they are bulky from running due to my short aductors muscles, they are short so while the others create muscle and look like the ones in the pics, mine have the same ammount of muscle but in a shorter space, wich means they get thicker, but whatever seriously im not even worrying anymore of it ugh

Well, when running a caloric deficit, the body turns to other sources for fuel. So fat and muscle can become that fuel. Much like not being able to "spot reduce" fat in various places of your body, I am assuming it would be just as difficult to "spot reduce" muscle.

I know Lance Armstrong, after his first retirement, bulked up physically and when he decided to come out of retirement and race in the Tour de France, he had just a few short months to lose muscle mass for the race. A rider such as Lance who was going for the Yellow Jersey has to be light weight for the climbs in the mountains to win. So his power to weight ratio was way out of balance and to cut his size in time for the TDF, he, his trainers, coach, etc... had to carefully balance his nutrition and run enough of a deficit that the excess muscle bulk was "fed upon" as a fuel source to get him ready.

So he went from this...

12375115634_edbe4a774a.jpglance

to this in just a few short months...

12375115284_ea71a0e6a9.jpglanceSlim

It's a pretty common "lean" look for endurance athletes due to the number of hours required to train. Unless you have been running to train for marathon type distances where the body does feed on both fat and muscle if the nutritional calories are not there to support the tranining - then it is possible that eventually, the muscles in your legs would be utilized as fuel. How to balance that out and do the weight work on the upper body so not to lose too much mass up there as well as getting the nutrition right while doing it all is probably not not that easy. On the other hand, endurance athlete's bodies settle into their "ideal racing weight" simply due to the sheer amount of hours they spend running or on the bike.

That's why you see in the cyclists and the runners (and the professional ballet dancers) the very thin upper bodies and arms due to muscle having been consumed as fuel and the athletes allowing that to happen as it improves their power to weight ratio.

Short answer - yes, in theory you could use endurance running to lose muscle bulk in your legs. But the rest of your body's muscles would also be in jeopardy as spot reducing is not really an option. It's probably easier in the upper body for runners and cyclists because they don't use the upper body muscles too much.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    What she refers to as overeating
    She discusses her overeating in the past and DOES NOT specify how much she was eating.
    Do, do take the time to read what people have written before offering advice based upon that.
    The one point where she questions if she was overeating and DOES specify calories, when told she is not, she accepts that and moves on. She mentions that she's changed the way she was eating from WHEN she was overeating, I believe; and thus found herself feeling much fuller than she is used to now she is NOT overeating.

Again you ENTIRELY FAIL TO BACKUP ANY OF YOUR CLAIMS about what I've said :laugh: .

But I'm sure it's much easier to live in your own world where you can criticise things you've made up, rather than what has actually been said!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    abb5225a0cbea0c1bc370168574dea4f9be8a30b9b3d9ee34e58cf35a3583cdc.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    My advice, since I haven't read the thread: Take a Cowboys banner, yell "Cowboys suck!" Start running--> make sure randomtai is near you as she chases you. Continue this exercise until A. She realizes they do suck B. She catches you and beats your butt C. You lean out and she concedes Jerry Jones is the problem in "D" Town and they will be 8-8 until he leaves. *muah*
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    Options
    What she refers to as overeating
    She discusses her overeating in the past and DOES NOT specify how much she was eating.
    Do, do take the time to read what people have written before offering advice based upon that.
    The one point where she questions if she was overeating and DOES specify calories, when told she is not, she accepts that and moves on. She mentions that she's changed the way she was eating from WHEN she was overeating, I believe; and thus found herself feeling much fuller than she is used to now she is NOT overeating.

Again you ENTIRELY FAIL TO BACKUP ANY OF YOUR CLAIMS about what I've said :laugh: .

But I'm sure it's much easier to live in your own world where you can criticise things you've made up, rather than what has actually been said!

Yes. You're right and everyone else here is wrong. Everyone else here has read her previous posts and got the wrong information but thank goodness you are the beacon of light that can see thru the BS and figure out what's really going on. Yes, you are the One True Diviner of internet posts. Only you are smart enough to realize that a girl that says she never used to weigh over 50 kg is a person that used to have a serious problem with overeating.

Normally, when EVERYONE points out that a person is in the wrong, that person would take a moment of self reflection and consider if their position is right. But not you. Thank goodness you're here to save us all.
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    My goal weight is 50 because it's the weight i've had before i started eating like crazy, and my ideal body is a lean delicate frame i'm not meaning getting like all bony, and my legs are bulkier than the ones that those runners have, i wanted them to be like that, i have short aductors so they get really thick with little exercise, the rest of my body is pretty lean except for that part, i was just asking if there was a way to lean them. I'm not planning in adding many more muscles to my arms they're already toned, and so is my stomach.

...my question was merely if it was possible to lean out my legs, because they are bulky from running due to my short aductors muscles, they are short so while the others create muscle and look like the ones in the pics, mine have the same ammount of muscle but in a shorter space, wich means they get thicker, but whatever seriously im not even worrying anymore of it ugh

Well, when running a caloric deficit, the body turns to other sources for fuel. So fat and muscle can become that fuel. Much like not being able to "spot reduce" fat in various places of your body, I am assuming it would be just as difficult to "spot reduce" muscle.

I know Lance Armstrong, after his first retirement, bulked up physically and when he decided to come out of retirement and race in the Tour de France, he had just a few short months to lose muscle mass for the race. A rider such as Lance who was going for the Yellow Jersey has to be light weight for the climbs in the mountains to win. So his power to weight ratio was way out of balance and to cut his size in time for the TDF, he, his trainers, coach, etc... had to carefully balance his nutrition and run enough of a deficit that the excess muscle bulk was "fed upon" as a fuel source to get him ready.

So he went from this...

12375115634_edbe4a774a.jpglance

to this in just a few short months...

12375115284_ea71a0e6a9.jpglanceSlim

It's a pretty common "lean" look for endurance athletes due to the number of hours required to train. Unless you have been running to train for marathon type distances where the body does feed on both fat and muscle if the nutritional calories are not there to support the tranining - then it is possible that eventually, the muscles in your legs would be utilized as fuel. How to balance that out and do the weight work on the upper body so not to lose too much mass up there as well as getting the nutrition right while doing it all is probably not not that easy. On the other hand, endurance athlete's bodies settle into their "ideal racing weight" simply due to the sheer amount of hours they spend running or on the bike.

That's why you see in the cyclists and the runners (and the professional ballet dancers) the very thin upper bodies and arms due to muscle having been consumed as fuel and the athletes allowing that to happen as it improves their power to weight ratio.

Short answer - yes, in theory you could use endurance running to lose muscle bulk in your legs. But the rest of your body's muscles would also be in jeopardy as spot reducing is not really an option. It's probably easier in the upper body for runners and cyclists because they don't use the upper body muscles too much.

my 2 cents He looks much healthier in pic 1

To OP Looking at your pic I highly doubt you have "muscular" thighs. Also eating at a deficit will not create a bulk further more 1300-1400 is a deficit and will not create weight gain.