Why does my Nutritionist hate that I eat Pork rinds??

Options
Ok....your thinking that Pork rinds are fat, which indeed they are not. Only 60 calories, 0 Carbs, and a whopping 10 grams of protein in a 1/2 ounce serving. My NUT hates that I eat them, and says I should eat a spoonful of Peanut butter instead, which is 210 calories, 6 carbs, and 8 grams of protein per 1 Tablespoon. I count carbs, sugar, protein, calories and sodium, every day in all the food I eat. I don't know why she doesn't like that I have this as a snack? Yes, it's an animal fat....and yes, I get the kind you make in the microwave instead of store bought. It's a light snack and I can save my carbs for something other than a moment of bliss in a serving of peanut butter. What do you think?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You like them? You log them? Eat them.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You like them? You log them? Eat them.

This. Totally this. Hit your micros/macros, make the deficit, eat what you like :)
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    I log ALL my food, exercise and fluids. I am accountable for what I eat. They are a good source of protein and virtually no carbs. They are not deep fried. They are puffed up in the microwave.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Pork isnt good for your health...that is probably why. If a nutritionist says you shouldn't eat it then I would listen to him/her and not random people on the Internet
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Pork isnt good for your health...that is probably why. If a nutritionist says you shouldn't eat it then I would listen to him/her and not random people on the Internet

Because nutritionists and doctors always know all, yes?

If you like them, eat them. Depriving yourself of something you love will end badly.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I think it's because your NUT doesn't really like you and doesn't want you to be happy.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I could go for some pork rinds right about now.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they're jealous because you're hogging all the fried sphincters
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Elbaldwin - any back up to your pork claim? Pork is fine for your health in moderation.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with Pork Rinds in moderation. That said - one potential issue is that the protein in pork rinds is incomplete and might not be bioavailable to us.

I havent found a ton of info on this topic, so I dunno if you can complete the protein chain by eating complimentary proteins. I only have a basic understanding of it.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had the opposite experience. Her nutritionist suggested that she should eat pork rinds as a snack. When she mentioned it to me, I was shocked because I thought they were just junk fund. But after she read the label, she realized that her nutritionist was giving her some advice she might use.

So nutritionists are apparently not unanimous on the subject of pork rinds. You will probably have to ask your own nutritionist about that recommendation.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Any evidence other than potential social/religious bias? Pork is packed full of protein. The only rational reason I can think of for avoiding pork rinds (assuming that the OP eats them in moderation and within her calorie and macro goals) is that they could be classified under the heading of processed meats and there is some evidence that those aren't so healthy for us. My guess though is that is related to nitrate content so I'd read the label and see.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

Because nutritionists and doctors always know all, yes?

If you like them, eat them. Depriving yourself of something you love will end badly.

Maybe you Nutritionist is Muslim or some other religion that doesn't eat pork at all? I don't like pork rinds personally, but my family eats them and thinks I'm crazy for not eating them too. lol So If you like them and they fit into you calorie allowance then go for it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sack the "nutritionist" and see a registered dietician and enjoy your pork rinds (in moderation).
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists are not licensed. Personally, I wouldn't trust them.
  • tedrickp
    Options

The only rational reason I can think of for avoiding pork rinds (assuming that the OP eats them in moderation and within her calorie and macro goals) is that they could be classified under the heading of processed meats and there is some evidence that those aren't so healthy for us. My guess though is that is related to nitrate content so I'd read the label and see.

Well if she is tracking macros, the "protein" in pork rinds might be throwing her numbers off because it isn't complete/bioavailable. Some packages of pork rinds will even say "*not a significant source of protein". But I agree with your post in general and see nothing wrong with eating pork rinds (love them myself) in moderation.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options

The only rational reason I can think of for avoiding pork rinds (assuming that the OP eats them in moderation and within her calorie and macro goals) is that they could be classified under the heading of processed meats and there is some evidence that those aren't so healthy for us. My guess though is that is related to nitrate content so I'd read the label and see.

Well if she is tracking macros, the "protein" in pork rinds might be throwing her numbers off because it isn't complete/bioavailable. Some packages of pork rinds will even say "*not a significant source of protein". But I agree with your post in general.

This does not matter at all. Vegetable proteins are not complete. You don't need complete protein. They are all made from amino acids and as long as you get a good variety, it is possible to get whatever you need.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I log ALL my food, exercise and fluids. I am accountable for what I eat. They are a good source of protein and virtually no carbs. They are not deep fried. They are puffed up in the microwave.

I'll add that they are also delicious!!! My only "issue" is that they're high in sodium. Oh... And that you aren't sharing them with me. :smile:
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    Pork Rinds

Why you think they're bad: These puffy snacks are literally cut from pigskin. Then they're deep-fried.

Why they're not: A 1-ounce serving contains zero carbohydrates, 17 grams (g) of protein, and 9 g fat. That's nine times the protein and less fat than you'll find in a serving of carb-packed potato chips. Even better, 43 percent of a pork rind's fat is unsaturated, and most of that is oleic acid—the same healthy fat found in olive oil. Another 13 percent of its fat content is stearic acid, a type of saturated fat that's considered harmless, because it doesn't raise cholesterol levels.

Eat this: J&J Critters Microwave Pork Rinds ($6.50 for a 10-ounce container; www.microwaveporkrinds.com). Because the rinds are cooked and puffed in a microwave instead of deep-fried, each serving contains only 4 g fat—meaning they're lower in calories and less greasy than regular pork rinds.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/healthy_snacks/Pork_Rinds.php#ixzz32k1tFxlO
  • tedrickp
    Options

This does not matter at all. Vegetable proteins are not complete. You don't need complete protein. They are all made from amino acids and as long as you get a good variety, it is possible to get whatever you need.

Do you have any evidence (specifically on the bioavailablity of pork rinds) that supports your stance?

Do you know for a fact that the protein in porkrinds (collagen) can become bioavailable if you eat complimentary proteins? Do you know what those proteins/foods that complete the protein chain are?

Im not being facetious or a jerk either - I have looked into this topic quite a bit (love those salty crunchy *kitten*) and the information I have found has been far from conclusive. Im looking for as much info on it as possible. Thanks.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The sodium content might be why she frowns upon them. Do you have high blood pressure?