Why does my Nutritionist hate that I eat Pork rinds??

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I'm hearing "you need other nutrients and pig skin is nothing but collagen" and I'm wondering where you guys stand on Jello?

I sink in jello. :wink:
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Elbaldwin - any back up to your pork claim? Pork is fine for your health in moderation.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with Pork Rinds in moderation. That said - one potential issue is that the protein in pork rinds is incomplete and might not be bioavailable to us.

I havent found a ton of info on this topic, so I dunno if you can complete the protein chain by eating complimentary proteins. I only have a basic understanding of it.

Man....i know nothing bout that last part. ...I posted a link you should read.
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    Sack the "nutritionist" and see a registered dietician and enjoy your pork rinds (in moderation).

My nutritionist is part of the follow-up care to ensure I am eating what i'm supposed to and getting my protein in since I am a gastric bypass patient. I had a revision from lap band to bypass in 12/12. I have lost in total 217lbs. I feel I am on the right track, but have days where I have a treat. My main concern is getting all my protein in. I'm not eating those protein bars, which have so much sugar in and too many calories for me. Believe me, i have tried them. Only so much Whey protein isolate i can take, after a while it hurts my stomach, not to mention the artificial sweeteners. I have to work with what I'm able to eat, which isn't alot, in my high protein, low carb diet.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also why don't you ASK THE NUTRITIONIST why she doesn't want you to eat them, we don't know her reasoning, we can only make guesses.
  • GypsygalWI
    Options
    Ok. So I'm hearing "you need other nutrients and pig skin is nothing but collagen" and I'm wondering where you guys stand on Jello?

I don't eat Jello, or have those "protein shots" in the tubes. Those I know are collagen based and the wrong type of protein for me. So, to me....in my twisted mind... 1/2 ounce of pork rinds is not going to kill me....as a treat, once in a blue moon. When I need something salty.
  • laurennkarp
    laurennkarp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'll admit that I stopped on this thread out of shear morbid curiosity. :wink: I've never eaten a pork rind before; I've been pescatarian for awhile now (vegetarian who eats fish) and am now trying to be mostly vegan with a small amount of fish very, very occasionally. However, when I first made the decision to cut back on meat, several years ago, I did a LOT of research about what meats were the most harmful/should be cut out first and why. Pork was usually considered the most harmful because so much of the way we get it is processed and cured/salted. You're not just getting the meat, you're also getting a lot of salt.

I checked one of my books, "Superfood, Super You", which is by a doctor and nutritionist, and this is what the author had to say about pork:

---

"A pig digests whatever it eats rather quickly, in up to about four hours. On the other hand a cow takes a good twenty-four hours to digest what it’s eaten. During the digestive process, animals (including humans) get rid of excess toxins as well as other components of the food eaten that could be dangerous to health.

Since the pig’s digestive system operates rather basically, many of these toxins remain in their system to be stored in their more than adequate fatty tissues ready for our consumption.

Another issue with the pig is that it doesn't have any sweat glands. Sweat glands are a tool the body uses to be rid of toxins. This leaves more toxins in the pig’s body...

Pigs carry many viruses and parasites with them (most notably trichinellosis). Whether by coming in direct contact with them through farms or by eating their meat we put ourselves at higher risk of getting one of these painful, often debilitating diseases (not to mention put our bodies on toxic overload.)"

---

He therefore recommends not eating pork all together (keep in mind he recommends a lot of plant-based foods) and that if you're going to eat animal protein that you avoid any fried, salted, or processed meats and instead "focus on eating healthier sources of protein like wild-caught fish, grass-fed beef, or free-range chicken and eggs."

I'm not saying that you should never eat pork-rinds - it sounds like you've thought out the pros and cons pretty well - but that might be what your nutritionist is saying, and I wanted to respond to some of the "why is pork bad for you?" musings.

Okay, I'll turn this back over to the meat eaters now. :wink: Carry on!
  • GypsygalWI
    Options
    Also why don't you ASK THE NUTRITIONIST why she doesn't want you to eat them, we don't know her reasoning, we can only make guesses.

I did ask her. She couldn't give me any reason why I should not eat them.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

If you take a bowl of jello, close your eyes, and shake it...well it makes an interesting sound; but I digress. If you combine the pork rind with beans will it provide the needed amino acids, and/or can we just eat pork and beans from a can?!? Interesting food combination// black bean and pork rind OR navy and rind of pork. Hmmm.....
  • GypsygalWI
    Options
    I log ALL my food, exercise and fluids. I am accountable for what I eat. They are a good source of protein and virtually no carbs. They are not deep fried. They are puffed up in the microwave.

I'll add that they are also delicious!!! My only "issue" is that they're high in sodium. Oh... And that you aren't sharing them with me. :smile:

I'm sorry...i"m not a good "sharer'' lol :laugh:
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah that sounds like a pointless personal bias coming out.

Pork rinds are goood foood.
  • GypsygalWI
    Options

If you take a bowl of jello, close your eyes, and shake it...well it makes an interesting sound; but I digress. If you combine the pork rind with beans will it provide the needed amino acids, and/or can we just eat pork and beans from a can?!? Interesting food combination// black bean and pork rind OR navy and rind of pork. Hmmm.....

If it helps..I made my own beans in the crock pot last night and added Organic, grass-fed...hamburger to it. It was delish. I don't always make wrong choices. I need variety, crunch, texture, protein! I would think the pork rinds would turn soggy? Gross. They got to be crunchy!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Pork isnt good for your health...that is probably why. If a nutritionist says you shouldn't eat it then I would listen to him/her and not random people on the Internet

WTH? Pork is amazing. Where did you get that kind of information. I suggest you do more research. Life without bacon is no life at all. SMDH
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Also a lady at our local fair makes her fresh, fresh fried from the pig to the oil. September really is to far away :cry:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It might be because some brands contain MSG for flavouring.

Although the levels are very small.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Detailed nutritional info for pork skins:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5362/2

Indeed, the amino-acid profile is pretty effed up, but it seems to be mostly lacking in Tryptophan and Methionine. I think (don't quote me on this) that dairy is a good source of both, so drink a glass of milk or eat a cube of cheese with your pork rinds and you've got a complete protein.

Also, they're delicious and much cheaper than jerky...
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    What the heck kind of peanut butter are you eating that it's 210 per one tablespoon? I can have 2 tablespoons and get 150-200. :P

But really. If you like pork rinds... eat them.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Dishes prepared with pork rinds are part of the everyday diet here in Mexico.
    My favorite is " Tacos al Albañil " ( tacos construction worker's style ).
    Make a nice Pico de Gallo, add crumbled up pork rinds, add chopped avocado and serve in warm soft corn tortillas with lime/lemon juice and hot sauce ( red or green to taste ) on top......delicious !
    Add some black beans.....and there you have it....complete protein !

I need to eat this.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What the heck kind of peanut butter are you eating that it's 210 per one tablespoon? I can have 2 tablespoons and get 150-200. :P

20130515-spoon.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

This does not matter at all. Vegetable proteins are not complete. You don't need complete protein. They are all made from amino acids and as long as you get a good variety, it is possible to get whatever you need.

Do you have any evidence (specifically on the bioavailablity of pork rinds) that supports your stance?

Do you know for a fact that the protein in porkrinds (collagen) can become bioavailable if you eat complimentary proteins? Do you know what those proteins/foods that complete the protein chain are?

Im not being facetious or a jerk either - I have looked into this topic quite a bit (love those salty crunchy *kitten*) and the information I have found has been far from conclusive. Im looking for as much info on it as possible. Thanks.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing your evidence either. I don't eat pork rinds, but this one has me curious, particularly your argument that the protein in pork rinds isn't bioavailable. I wouldn't think that the argument that one can create complete proteins by a mix of foods is controversial but again, I'd be interesting in seeing the argument in black and white.

ETA: I'm also not trying to be facetious or a jerk. My curiosity has definitely been piqued though.

^^^ this, because I was under the impression that animal flesh and organ meat (skin is an organ) contained all 8 amino acids. Also, I'm not sure why skin protein would not be bioavailable.

I just looked up the nutritional info on a British brand of pork scratchings (the British name for this) and it's 48g protein per 100g... that's a lot of protein. 45.7g fat though and 607 calories.......... would be good for those guys who find it hard to eat enough calories to gain weight. Maybe the British ones are prepared/cooked differently as this isn't a low calorie density food by a long shot............ BUT if you're not Muslim or Jewish and they fit your macros then no reason not to eat them....

personally I hate them. participating in this thread is for academic discussion only.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Aren't pork rinds deep-fried? I wouldn't know, I'm a vegan. Fried anything is not all that good for you but I believe anything in moderation can't hurt.