Maintaining, and pie.

Options
So, I just ate two INCREDIBLE slices of triple berry pie in a double crust. I dont think I could eat another piece.

I started to feel guilty for this binge, but I am at my goal weight, and under maintaining calories... So, I uh, shouldn't feel guilty? It tasted so good, but I feel like I cheated, somehow.

(Vaguely guilty)

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a rare treat to me rather than a binge. Keep the rest of your day low cal and you'll be fine. I think we all need days like that sometime. It's absurd to expect to NEVER go over maintenance calories on a single day ever or to NEVER overeat at meal ever. We're human. The important thing is to stay at maintenance overall. Even 10 days of overeating a year won't make you gain all your weight back. You're doing great.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Its just one day. Enjoy your cake and move on. You'd probably be surprised how much you can eat without gaining anyway. For nearly 2 months now I've been without self control and eating 2-3000 calories most days (mainly sugary, fatty cakes and pastries covered in icing or cream) and I've only gained 2lbs. I am looking forward to getting my motivation back and eating healthier again but its been interesting to find out just how high my maintenance calories must really be..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eh I ate 0.43 servings of cheese cake today and it was 400 calories..I would have had more but it was so sweet I would have been sick.

Don't feel guilty at all esp if you are under maitenance calories...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Godamnit. It turned into a binge, I just ate another piece out of the fridge, with a fork. Why did I do that???:( I'll be extra good tomorrow.

Sometimes I think I should join over eaters anon, because certain foods I just can't stop.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    I actually considered throwing out the pie and squeezing dish soap on it, for good measure. But then I'd have to account for throwing out a beautiful pie my mother made.

Sometimes I just get a taste for something and hit it hard. I lost 40 pounds while f-ing up like this once, sometimes twice per month. Maybe it's part of my personal success formula?

Lol, obviously not. But seriously, I need to hear from others that over do it sometimes.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want but in small amounts. I'm still trying to lose and I'm only allowed 1200 calories, plus exercise calories.
    I would eat a sliver and if I can't give it away then freeze it. I just have 3/4 of a delicious chocolate cake away after serving it to a small dinner party and having 1/4 of a slice myself.
    No way that my husband and I can eat a whole real dessert. I'm making a strawberry rhubarb crumble tonight that has been seriously lightened up. Really looking forward to a yummy fruit dessert!
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    I made my boyfriend a homemade carrot cake for his birthday and ate half the cake by myself in less than 48 hours. I didn't bother to log the calories because I haven't entered the recipe yet, but go take a look at my diary and see how often I screw up. You're not unique in falling off the wagon. Everybody does it. Don't tell yourself you'll be "extra good tomorrow," realize that you DO have control (as evidenced by reaching your goal weight! Congrats!!) and be regular good starting NOW. And, in the end, if you can't find that control, you will be okay. You didn't get fat from eating half a pie in one night, nor did you lose all the weight without making a single mistake. Forgive yourself, move on immediately. And whatever you do. . . DON'T OPEN THE FRIDGE AGAIN! Find something else to do, like go for a quick walk or pick up a book to read or clean out a closet. DECIDE to do something more productive and make yourself proud.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Eating whatever you want in small amounts is what I normally do. I also sometimes binge eat.

I'd like to stop.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Fool of a took, marry me. Seriously, love that you admitted to eat half a birthday cake.
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    :blushing:

But we just met. . .

Also, take a look at what YOU wrote in your profile:
    Right now, I am just looking for something healthy and sustainable, allowing room for error, and making little choices everyday for the rest of my life. Nothing strict, nothing diet-y for me.

I can use measuring cups, I can walk my dog every day, I can choose fruit and veggies as the bulk of my diet. I CANNOT promise I wont ever eat ramen noodles again. ;)

For real, don't be so hard on yourself. And the suggestion below for freezing individual portions would be an excellent idea for future pies, or even the rest of this one. Learn from today and look for future solutions.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Freeze it in individual portions...
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Cleaning dishes from supper now, and I am NOT opening that fridge! I'll have some black tea before bed, maybe do yoga if my belly isn't too bloated.

Tomorrow is a new day.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Lol, but I am skinny now! So why do I still WANT to eat a gross amount of pie/bread/dinner rolls like I did when I was fat?

I thought for sure skinny girls don't think "OMG PIE!!!!!"
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to pretend you didn't mention possibly throwing away a homemade pie...:grumble:

Next time have a plan for sharing with friends or freezing part before you take your first bite. I have the same issue with sweets though I have gotten much better about eating in moderation.

Also if I go over calories for the day, I just make sure I'm under overall for the week. One day definitely won't make or break a diet, it's the habits over time that add on pounds.

I had a piece of rhubarb cream pie today, and will come in under my calories. :drinker:
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Ps, freeze individual portions, brilliant. Having it sit in the fridge, without so much as a lid to protect it.... It's just too easy.

Feeling queasy now. Greasy, bloated and satisfied, that horrible/amazing binge feeling.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Ha, can't just throw out a homemade triple berry pie. You have to squeeze dish soap on it so you don't try to pick it outta the trash like a vagrant.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    At the first two pieces, when you were still under on your calories, you were viewing it as a binge. Do you think that viewing it as beyond your control *at that point* made it easier to eat the rest? Kind of a "well, what's the point stopping now?" mentality.

I don't know what it is about some foods. I could probably eat a carton of ice cream (not a pint either! ). So I don't buy it, or I buy individual servings or a pint and split it with my husband.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The biggest surprise about getting to maintenance after a year or more of lifestyle changes of eating better and exercising, is that your body changes and adapts to your new weight set point. Consistently eating too much will get you In trouble, but the occasional binge doesn't even register as a blip on the radar. It's the equivalent of when you tried to start losing weight and a week of serious calorie deficit could leave you stuck in a plateau where your weight wouldn't budge at all.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My advice.... Eat the whole pie today and have a few beers too. Hey, you deserve it. One day's binge while otherwise being good on maintenance won't really make a difference at all, but a couple pieces a day over a few days sets a pattern that could put you back into weight gaining mode by messing with your insulin levels and your willpower and your current weight set point.
  • wannastayfit
    wannastayfit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If your instinct tells you to throw it away, throw it away. Next time tell mom to knit you some socks. :)