Maintaining, and pie.

Options

Replies

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Freeze it in individual portions...

That's what I do! Stick it right in the freezer, probably best behind some veggies :) Then at least you can't mindless eat it as easily since you'd have to thaw it out!

Please don't harm the poor defenseless pie! It deserves to be enjoyed your mom made it.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't helpful but I'd be all in on that pie. Eat it and move on. I don't usually do this with sweets but give me a bag of chips and its a goner. I tend to plan for these as I know once I start there's no going back.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    An occasional day over maintenance - even significantly over - isn't going to make you regain all that weight. A frequent or regular habit of eating over maintenance, that's another story altogether. Say "Wow, that was a delicious treat!" and move on.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    At the first two pieces, when you were still under on your calories, you were viewing it as a binge. Do you think that viewing it as beyond your control *at that point* made it easier to eat the rest? Kind of a "well, what's the point stopping now?" mentality.

I don't know what it is about some foods. I could probably eat a carton of ice cream (not a pint either! ). So I don't buy it, or I buy individual servings or a pint and split it with my husband.

THIS^^ in droves!

When I regained my weight it was doing shet just like this. without tracking. so when I had pie for lunch and a cinnamon roll after dinner, I'd be all "Oh well i already must be way over my cal limit with those two high cal things and so feck it, moar pie!"

Now though if I'd told myself I could have one piece of pie and then I had two I WOULD LOG IT! That always results in my seeing in writing that I am still barely over my cal goal, usually within weight loss parameters or around maintenance. When I add that knowledge to the fact that I am still in the last six days eating at weight loss deficit amounts I realize MATHS.

6 weight loss level cal days
    + 1 maintenance level cal day

STILL EQUALS weight loss.

And then ALL those guilty "oh screw it " feelings go flying out the window like so many phucks given. THe DGAF turns from "IDGAF I'm gonna eat this" to "IDGAF that I just ate that, it's totally fine!"

and I still feel successful.

Please try this. Log IMMEDIATELY when you think you've screwed up. Call it damage control.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Echoing all the advice above.
    Definitely get that pie in the freezer, log it, and move on tomorrow!

As another suggestion: maybe see if your mom can make baby sized pies in a muffin tin. That way you can have multiple, get the satisfaction of pie, while having better portion control with them!
    Speaking of which..I now want to do that with the pie crust in my fridge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post, lol!

I do that too much. Heck I looked at my diary this week end and got totally shocked to see that my last binge was 13 days ago! It's amazing for me (I'm not counting the days I eat at maintenance or within 100 calories of it, I'm still at a deficit).

The last time I did it, I made sugar puffs 'for the kids after school'. Yeah right. I ended up eating them all before they even came back from school. Been doing something like that twice a month lately. So you're definitely not alone (although in my case it's self sabotage because I'm always baking things).

I just keep a deficit to make up for days like these (although technically I'm still 3-4 pounds from my goal).
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the pie.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I actually considered throwing out the pie and squeezing dish soap on it, for good measure. But then I'd have to account for throwing out a beautiful pie my mother made.

Sometimes I just get a taste for something and hit it hard. I lost 40 pounds while f-ing up like this once, sometimes twice per month. Maybe it's part of my personal success formula?

Lol, obviously not. But seriously, I need to hear from others that over do it sometimes.

NOOOOO don't hurt the pie!!!
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options
    Just had a 2000 calorie cheat meal. I was already at 1,300 for the day.

I'm not even mad.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Just had a 2000 calorie cheat meal. I was already at 1,300 for the day.

I'm not even mad.

Word. That's my hero there.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post, lol!

I do that too much. Heck I looked at my diary this week end and got totally shocked to see that my last binge was 13 days ago! It's amazing for me (I'm not counting the days I eat at maintenance or within 100 calories of it, I'm still at a deficit).

The last time I did it, I made sugar puffs 'for the kids after school'. Yeah right. I ended up eating them all before they even came back from school. Been doing something like that twice a month lately. So you're definitely not alone (although in my case it's self sabotage because I'm always baking things).

I just keep a deficit to make up for days like these (although technically I'm still 3-4 pounds from my goal).

I know that feeling well - I get cravings for cookie dough so I'll go in the kitchen and make some cookies, eat a lot of dough, bake the rest and then never want to see the finished products again because I either feel crook physically or just never want to see them again. But I'm trying to be consistent with my calorie intake, leaving room for the equivalent of one cookie-worth of dough and one finished product when I bake. And trying to only bake half-recipes (although that's difficult when the recipe calls for an odd number of eggs!).

For the last few weeks it seems to have been working ... I'm going to give it a go again later this week.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever you want in small amounts is what I normally do. I also sometimes binge eat.

I'd like to stop.

I'd like to know too. There are certain things I just can't keep in the house or I'll eat it all.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dude, yesterday I had round table pizza buffet, then BBQed burgers. My friends brought over chow mien, cake and beer, so of course I had all that too. I was way over my maintenance calories, but I know if I eat lighter for the next few days (today, protein shake, salad and pot roast), I'll be reset and totally fine.

Just don't let the "bad days" become habitual and you'll be fine.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Omg I didn't even realize people were still reading and responding to this thread. Here's what happened post pie binge. (And YES it turned into a binge, which I recorded fully on mfp)

My husband came home, I told him how I had locked the yummy pie away in the fridge and I am now not opening the fridge until he came home. He gave me a hug, because I was really shaken. I hate losing control!

He portioned and froze the pie in individual serves, ate two slices, and declared that it was divine. (He's a lifelong skinny)

Mom and I went out the next day, and I came clean about my severe overeat. She laughed, and told me she intentionally leaves pies, cookies, and ice cream at my home, because she is a binge-er too.

She told me that the last key lime pie she bought she ate half of it to herself, in a sitting, and had to throw it in the outside garbage to keep from eating it.

And then she told me about my aunt, who has actually thrown cookies out, in the outside dumpster of her apartment, to stop binging, and ended up crawling into the dumpster to get them.

And lastly, my OTHER aunt, who is a binge chocolate eater, who once ate all our Easter chocolate out of our baskets one year,before we even got to see our baskets.

It was a good bonding moment for us, and I definitely feel better than I did. I have a theory that if you can talk about the problem, you can understand and work on the problem.

And to the person who asked if I really thought I'd outgrow my tastes for large amounts of fattening foods, yup. I thought I would! I wear a size 6 now,FFS! I am visibly thin,with visible bones and everything!But I lost control like my old size 16 self. ;) it was jarring, to say the least.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ha, can't just throw out a homemade triple berry pie. You have to squeeze dish soap on it so you don't try to pick it outta the trash like a vagrant.

:noway: Aren't vagrants usually starving when they pick stuff out of the trash.... if you want to actually pull food out of the trash (assuming you actually dumped it in and didn't just lay it nicely wrapped on top of the other trash) maybe you need some psych to help you with that. :wink:

I just read what you posted at the same time I was posting...That is actually sad that you have disordered eating run in your family - I don't know if I'd call it a bonding moment.:huh:
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Oddly enough, I almost think we are like this because we all had a lot of food insecurity growing up. Quite often there was a lack of food...anyways, it is bonding to not feel like the only one who struggles around food.

And as gross as it sounds, I learned the dish soap routine the hard way. I totally ate Brownies from a trash can once. I had my justifications for it at the time, but that was a personal low.

I just wanna be able to be naturally thin, to stop at one piece of pie, to have never eaten to excess before. For moderation to come as naturally as breathing.

But oh well, at least I'm not a drug addict or a drunk, like most of my family. Because that looks much harder to kick.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Lol, but I am skinny now! So why do I still WANT to eat a gross amount of pie/bread/dinner rolls like I did when I was fat?

I thought for sure skinny girls don't think "OMG PIE!!!!!"

Of course they do. They just know to move a little more and eat a little less the next day. (Or they're young, active, and have insane metabolisms. Oh, but those days are long past for me.)
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    I don't believe the whole "insane metabolism" thing. I think they "naturally thin" people, must not eat as many calories, or burn more calories from an active lifestyle (like a marathon runner) .

And secretly, that they don't have a taste for pies. Lol.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Of course it's ok! I find that my body can take in extra calories without easily gaining weight, but my brain doesn't handle this as well. I start getting too confident and make over-eating a regular habit:)
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Look at that bread in your avatar. Yum.