to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I tease people who run on treadmills exclusively. But I admire that they can do it (I'd be too bored).

As for whether they are runners, why not? I log more time on a bike than running these days, still I'd consider myself a runner before anything else...
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* i run nearly exclusively on the treadmill. When I run I like to zone out completely and as I'm a woman who lives in the middle of Chicago and likes to run at night....yea, I'm fine with the treadmill.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    do you ever find yourself in a conversation with someone who says they run, only to find out that it's only on the treadmill? do you immediately dismiss them as not being a real runner?
    I'm not a runner but a cyclist. Bicycle rider to be more specific. If someone told me they only did the stationary bike (recumbent, spinning, traditional, etc.) I wouldn't consider them a cyclist. I would consider them someone who prefers the bicycling simulation machines for cardio. I often do the running simulation called elliptical machines but I don't tell people I jog or run.

There's something about steering and pedaling while navigating traffic, rocks, holes, pedestrians, bicycles and other obstacles that makes it real. If you never ride into the wind or deal with rain or other weather, how is that being a cyclist?

:yawn:
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    The person who plays the triangle in the symphony is a musician, just as the cello soloist..

The cellist may be more skilled, have more fans, etc. But, at the end of the day, both cash a check from the symphony. I don't see any benefit to categorizing any further or putting down a group of people because they are different.

If I run 50 miles a week on the road, and you run 5 miles a week on a dreadmill, and you want to talk to me "runner-to-runner," OK. We just may not end up having that much to talk about, but at least you are putting the work in.
  • dawnnicole85
    dawnnicole85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally I consider a person that runs on a treadmill just as much of a runner as a person that runs outside. I believe runners come in all shapes and sizes and have different running preferences. I also believe that someone that can only currently run half a mile can be considered a runner. Every runner had to train from running a very short distance to being able to run further and probably faster.

I am currently a treadmill runner. This is mostly because I live in a not so safe neighborhood where running alone isn't really safe, so I hit up the local gym to get my running in right now. I also can only run a mile right now, and at a slow pace (12 minutes last run). I don't think this makes me less of a runner than anyone else. I also spent a great deal of running outside in the past, on bike trails, through neighborhoods (when I lived in a safer part of town), I ran in a couple 5K's... I actually was up to 7 mile runs until I injured my knee. After that I didn't run for quite some time, I actually just started up again. I started back on the treadmill this time, although I do plan to take my runs outside when I have the chance to drive a bit further to find a safer place to do so - or when I have a buddy to run with.

I guess my point is, I try not to judge other runners, and I think if a person considers themselves a runner, then they are.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty rude to turn around and say treadmill runners aren't 'real runners' my brother-in-law runs almost exclusively (most done on road is 3miles) on a treadmill and he completed a Half Marathon in March, not to mention an overweight friend of mine who was struggling road running but really enjoys treadmill running, she will get to road running eventually and even if she doesn't who cares.
    to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run (indoors or out) then you're a runner.

I find this thread personally funny because I did my first Half Marathon over the weekend (in 1:59:11 :smile: ) yet I don't think of myself as a runner at all as I do other stuff too, my friend who did it with me said the same thing when I asked her afterwards 'do you feel like a runner yet?'
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Whether or not one agrees with the OP, I believe his view is looking at it objectively. Let's look at it from other perspectives of not just the treadmill vs running outside.

If someone runs in the pool (actually does laps back and forth) are they considered a runner?

Is a rhythm gymnast really a gymnast?

Is a bodybuilding really a sport?

Do people that workout solely on machines really lifters?

I believe POV will dictate how some will obviously feel about this. I don't believe there's going to be a definitive answer for any since many categories can be defined subjectively.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Semantics. About like the argument over swats vs leg press. Squats properly done of course are better if you are healthy and able to do them. Otherwise the leg press is a great alternative. Running on a track likely burns slightly more calories than treadmill BUT those who live in dangerous areas or who have knee issues can certainly benefit from treadmill. I use treadmill a lot for the latter reason but do run on a track when I can. I can sense the difference in the assist with a slightly greater energy output necessary on the track but I get a pretty good workout on the treadmill as well. It helps with my pacing and has improved my speed. Anecdotally it seems to be helping to strengthen my knees which seems to have some support in recent research.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Another point - where do we draw the line? Do you have to achieve a certain speed to be a "real " runner? Tosh! Anyone moving in a forward (or backward) direction at a speed that is faster than their walking pace is in effect running. To say otherwise is exclusionary - so too is it with separating treadmills and roads. Its like saying mountain bikers aren't real cyclists because they don't road race.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I have no idea how to even run a treadmill. I don't even know what an elliptical is. :ohwell: I run roads, hills, the beach ... etc yet I have respect for treadmill runners since they're not only getting it done, they're doing something I don't know how to do.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This was interesting to read. I started running on the treadmill as I have one at home. I decided to run outside as I used to walk outside alot. I loved it! I go out on a Saturday or Sunday and run the Battlefield near my house. I believe it changed my life. I so look forward to my runs and I get really pissy if I can't go.

That being said, I do still run on the treadmill in bad weather. I still don't consider myself a runner. I'm not sure what would make me a runner. I have reached the point where I just want to be outside doing something.

I also don't think I care. I've lost 32 lbs since March, I feel wonderful everyday, I look better so whatever I'm doing, whatever name you want to call it, it works.

Cheers to all of us!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I consider them a runner. However, are they as fit as someone who road runs? Probably not. The elements and pounding on pavement and having to propel yourself forward make for a fitter, more experienced runner. I think we've seen threads time and time again that go "I run on a treadmill no problem, but can't run outside". They are different beasts, but it's still running.

ETA: I just get really sad when someone says they only run on the dreadmill. I mean, get outside and smell the roses! I didn't fall in love with running until I ran outside, and then I was hooked.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

Look at you, Mr. Judgy Pants.

I get what you are saying. I feel the same way. However, I put that sentiment into my back pocket and enjoy the fact that running is a big umbrella. I run on the road, but there are many, many ways in which I wouldn't be considered a "real runner" either.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To me, if you run because you enjoy it, you are a runner. I don't care your speed or where you do it. I, for one, hate running and would never consider myself a runner, although I do it for the hell of it just to push myself and probably do it faster than a lot of people that I would consider "runners". But I hate it, and am literally thinking about when it will be over from about 10 steps in.

I actually find the treadmill to be a lot more difficult form of running (mind numbingly boring) and always am slower on a treadmill, so yes, even if someone only runs on a treadmill, but they enjoy it, then they are runners. Just because someone else enjoys running outside and the scenery and the zen and all that stuff, doesn't make the person running on the treadmill and lack of care for their surrounding any better/worse.

imo.gif
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

people who exclusively run on treadmills are EXERCISING.

people who run outside are RUNNING and therefore runners.

End of discussion.
    :drinker:

People who RUN to train for sports are ATHLETES.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes. Treadmill people are not runners in my eyes. No issue or problem saying that.

It doesn't mean that people who run on treadmills are not runners, but if that is all you do, then no.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm part way through a C25K program - tacked it onto lifting for my cardio - and I run on an indoor track.

I don't consider myself a runner, yet. Not because of where I run, but because I haven't completely decided whether or not I want to continue running after I'm through with this program. I'm a 'might-become-a-runner'.

I think I probably will, I'm enjoying the program a great deal, but I want to get to running for a decent distance before committing. If I do commit, I can promise that I'll be running indoors through the summer months at least, 'cause I don't do well in heat and humidity. I'm not going to take something that should be enjoyable and turn it into a hellacious experience just to be outside. No thanks.
  • camarkim
    camarkim Posts: 2
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?

"RUN: to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground." So, yeah, if you are running even a short distance on a treadmill or running a marathon, then, technically, yes, you are running. But more importantly, who the hell is anyone to judge anyone else as to what constitutes a "real runner?" I've run everything from around the block, to 5K's, to 10K's, to Half Marathons, including grueling trails, hills, mountains, in low temps and in 122 degree desert heat. And I've also run on the treadmill once in awhile during the training season.

But my accomplishments pale in comparison to some of the people on my running team who have done Ultras, Tris, etc. ( In fact, my coach is currently training to do the Angeles Crest 100 miler, AGAIN.) I've never heard him or anyone else say anything negative to anyone trying to get off the coach and get some mileage under their belts. But even that doesn't impress me as much as seeing one of my teammates doing the San Diego Rock N' Roll Marathon 3 DAYS AFTER A CHEMO TREATMENT.

The bottom line is...each person has their own struggles, including world class athletes. Do you think those elite guys at the front of the pack would think of you as a "real runner"?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'm not any kinda runner but my limited experience on the road and the treadmil left me with the strange impression that the treadmil was somehow more difficult