to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I read all four pages and didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but maybe someone like me would be uncomfortable running outside due to their size and low fitness level? I mean, when you think of a runner, you imagine someone lean and toned and really graceful as they move.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people, who are not small, just starting out, getting hateful looks from others, nasty comments being tossed their way, and even having garbage chucked at them while they try to run.
    You clearly haven't found your way to the C25K group :) Welcome! And this is a pretty fab read:
    http://flintland.blogspot.fi/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Posted my first run on the C25K group last night! It's a nice place where everyone feels great sharing even the small victories. Hell, I may not be to a 5k yet but I am a whole lot better off than I was when I was on the couch.
    Maybe it's another group then? Did you post in the Daily check-in thread, I can't see it there? I think I recognise your avatar so I'm confused right now.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I might consider running indoors on a treadmill if it was the one right behind you, because, dat azz!

:blushing: Aww shucks :tongue: :wink:

+1 :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

I haven't read all the responses here, but I am wondering if you see some hypocrisy. You are saying that treadmill runners are not runners and yet feel judged when you are asked if you are doing an iron man or marathon. Personally, I find the treadmill much easier than running outside, but I am also just starting again, easy is more motivating. I do not, however, consider myself a runner.

i actually responded to what i said there about ultra-marathons:
    my apologizes. i added that last line for some comedic flair. one book that i credit getting me really into running was "born to run" by christopher mcdougall. i loved the whole zen aspect of running long distances. in a way, i called ultra-marathons dumb because they are soooooooo out of my comfort zone right now. maybe one day, but probably not.

i thought that maybe the way i wrote that comments with the asterisk and the whole subject matter about endurance events, it would be seen a little tongue in cheek.

I should have read through the posts. I read your OP as being supportive of considering treadmill runners as not actually being runners. I agree that there is a zen-like quality to running. Although my longest distance was 10K.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hrm, I run primarily for the weight loss benefits. I run outdoors primarily even if the weather is inclement.

Am I a "real" runner or a "Pinocchio"? (Y' know...only half real) :laugh:

NEVER LIE DURING YOUR RUNS.

You'll have quite the balance issues.
    OK. Though I'm not sure I agree with your premise, at least you have a sense of humour! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

At this point, I would like to CLARIFY MY STANCE... I most definitely do consider people who run on treadmills to be runners. But not if they do it exclusively, because I'm just pretty sure that means they're only running to exercise, and FOR ME.... (absolutely NO judgment whatsoever)..

what I consider to be a real runner.. as I've mentioned before.. is somebody who starts running for the sake of running at some point during his or her journey. Not saying that others are not just as GREAT or DEDICATED or AWESOME.. it's just a question of perception. which is subjective, right?

That being said..

over and out!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've only read the OP, not the rest of the posts, so i hope someone else has said this, but boy is that ****ing arrogant as all hell. I rotate outside running with treadmill running as it's easier on my knees and hips. you come off as an absolute *kitten* calling everyone who runs on the treadmill not a real runner.

bad form, man.

yeah, you should have read the responses, even my own.

no where in my original post am i judging anyone. i am asking if runners that mostly forgo the treadmill judge runners that exclusively use a treadmill.

personally i believe that if you run, you are a runner. however their is a difference in running outside to running indoors, and i advise people to run outdoors as often as they can, especially if they're training for a race.

but i also believe that there are different running communities. so does most of the world, seeing as there are many running events at the olympics. there is not just one medal given out for Running, as there are many short, middle, and long distance events.
    forgive me for assuming a person who asks a question positing that treadmill runners are not real runners backs up this stance himself.

no worries.

and i didn't say that treadmill runners are not real runners. i asked if people think that.
    k. so your thread title itself was just purposely instigating, which makes me conclude we have a troll on our hands.

the title is just the title.

admittedly though, i am stuck at work with nothing to do today, and i was looking to start a discussion that didn't involve guess the age or profession of the person that posted above you. but i am most certainly not trolling.*

*maybe
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There was a Saturday this past winter when I did 18 miles on a treadmill because of ice. Haha- THAT made me a runner...or, at least, I joked to my husband that I became an obsessed runner that day ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

I haven't read all the responses here, but I am wondering if you see some hypocrisy. You are saying that treadmill runners are not runners and yet feel judged when you are asked if you are doing an iron man or marathon. Personally, I find the treadmill much easier than running outside, but I am also just starting again, easy is more motivating. I do not, however, consider myself a runner.

my apologizes. i added that last line for some comedic flair. one book that i credit getting me really into running was "born to run" by christopher mcdougall. i loved the whole zen aspect of running long distances. in a way, i called ultra-marathons dumb because they are soooooooo out of my comfort zone right now. maybe one day, but probably not.

i thought that maybe the way i wrote that comments with the asterisk and the whole subject matter about endurance events, it would be seen a little tongue in cheek.

I should have read through the posts. I read your OP as being supportive of considering treadmill runners as not actually being runners. I agree that there is a zen-like quality to running. Although my longest distance was 10K.

no worries. hey, do you want to destroy all humans?
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I plan on doing an ultra next year.

:flowerforyou: :love:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hel I don't even consider myself a runner, I just run...

That said I can't understand what motivates someone to pound out long times on the treadmill. I'm bored in ten minutes.

For me most of the benefit of running is getting out on the trail and exploring.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome if for no other reason than seeing people's really bad reading and comprehension skills and total lack of anything resembling a sense of humor.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

LOL. Not all humans... Just the ones that p!ss me off (lately there have been a lot). Or I am just a grumpy old lady :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

LOL. Not all humans... Just the ones that p!ss me off (lately there have been a lot). Or I am just a grumpy old lady :laugh:

i think you can actually say "piss" in the forums.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    They are both runners. They're running. They're just different kind of runners. Fitness runner. Recreational runner. Jogger. Marathoner. Triathlete. Different, yet all runners. I feel no superiority to those who run inside all the time. Hell, maybe they're smarter. I get bit by dogs, run into ditches, cat called, and injured WAY more frequently. Of course, I can't seem to run a straight line on a treadmill, and I get bored to death. Even a mile on a treadmill and I'm ready to quit. In conclusion, I am rambling. Just be glad people are moving! We're all moving faster than those on the couch. I like the support I typically see in the running community for any kind of runner. It's great!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

i think you can actually say "piss" in the forums.

Obviously I didn't try. I'm not too sure what makes it through the "filth filters" and what doesn't.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't run. I'm just here for the drama. It's a holiday, might as well get some entertainment.
    *pulls up a lawn chair, pours a hard cider*
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    They are both runners. They're running. They're just different kind of runners. Fitness runner. Recreational runner. Jogger. Marathoner. Triathlete. Different, yet all runners. I feel no superiority to those who run inside all the time. Hell, maybe they're smarter. I get bit by dogs, run into ditches, cat called, and injured WAY more frequently. Of course, I can't seem to run a straight line on a treadmill, and I get bored to death. Even a mile on a treadmill and I'm ready to quit. In conclusion, I am rambling. Just be glad people are moving! We're all moving faster than those on the couch. I like the support I typically see in the running community for any kind of runner. It's great!

first off, i'm a triathlete, and i specifically tell people i'm not a runner. or a cyclist. or a swimmer.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I guess if people consider themselves runners then they are, but to me, a huge component of "running" is enjoying scenery, braving the elements, etc. Otherwise, it really is mostly about the exercise.

I also don't know WHY anyone would rather just run on the treadmill than go outside. That's so boring. I'm an adult and have learned not to care what people think of me - it's way more important to me to enjoy the run than to stay inside because I'm so worried about what people think. Yeah it's better than sitting on the couch doing nothing but life is so much more fun when you leave your comfort zone and forget about caring what people think.

I don't agree with whoever said a runner is someone who trains for a race. There are plenty of runners who do it because they enjoy the scenery and being outside and the challenge! Not everyone is competitive with other people.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    ann-perkins-jogging.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.

Omg are you passionate about anything else in life? Relax Bytch.

:laugh:
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ah, but Captain, you didn't directly say it. You implied it. Sometimes it really does just come down to semantics. You started a thread called, "to all the real runners," which automatically holds the implication that some runners are NOT "real" runners, which is why some people made the logical assumption that you felt there was, in fact, a distinction. Not to mention, it clearly had some folks immediately on the defensive. Because I'm clearly some kind of masochist, I enjoy a good verbal repartee, so this didn't really bother me, but I do feel obligated to point it out to the crowd. Sometimes what you don't say speaks just as loudly as what you do.

Back on topic, I tend to agree. If you're running, you're running. I like the support I usually see in the running community. It was rather comical when I first started running. I wouldn't have classified myself as a runner yet then. I was more a walker with running motions carrying too many extra pounds. Every single runner I passed would give me the fist pump and the "you go girl" which hilariously condescending, but with good intent, so I took it that way and puffed and huffed on. I run. I'm a runner. And no one gives me the "you go girl" anymore, so they must think so too.