to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

But if you have never EVER, EVER run outside....

You're not a REAL runner.

I run inside exclusively. I am a runner. Come at me bro.
    tumblr_li661wuJyz1qzjepo.gif

but WHY?

i-do-what-i-want.gif

I wouldn't consider someone who runs on a treadmill to be a runner, they are more of a bounce in place-er, kind of like someone who does Zumba toning weights calling themselves a weight lifter...
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.
    you are pleasant.

I feel like that was sarcasm.

In my defense.... I have no defense. Go run outside. Go run outside TOO.

leave crank alone. she's had some major injuries the last few years, and does what she can and has made some amazing progress despite it all.

Injuries suck. Especially since for some people they're not just physically. That torn ankle I've had to deal with for the last three months... aloha depression, self-doubt, restlessness, mental weakness!

I actually have super great respect for anyone who does long distances on the tread mill. Such mental strength!

ULTRAMARATHONERS THOUGH. you guys are amazing.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

But if you have never EVER, EVER run outside....

You're not a REAL runner.

I run inside exclusively. I am a runner. Come at me bro.
    tumblr_li661wuJyz1qzjepo.gif

but WHY?

i-do-what-i-want.gif

I wouldn't consider someone who runs on a treadmill to be a runner, they are more of a bounce in place-er, kind of like someone who does Zumba toning weights calling themselves a weight lifter...

Luckily your opinion matters nothing to me. :laugh:
  • running4thehigh
    Options

HAHHAHAHAHAHA.

Can we please all agree to call treadmill-runners 'bounce in place-ers' from now on?

I'm so down to do that.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.

Whoa there, Judgy McJudgertons. Some people have to motivate themselves to run at all...if they're doing it, what do you care where? And no, I don't think someone doing three miles on a treadmill is the same as a marathon runner...but someone doing three miles outside isn't the same either.

Are both feet off the supporting surface (whether that be a treadmill band, asphalt, a trail, or pavement) at the same time? Then I think it's running...whether the person calls themselves a runner might be a different question, but I doubt they care what YOU call them...
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Although I've been running as a form of exercise for years, I never felt like a "runner" until I stepped it up a notch. I started running more and more frequently, paying attention to form, reading about how to improve, racing, and hitting PRs I never thought I could achieve. There was more of a methodology involved.

I've taken quite a few kickboxing classes in an MMA studio. It's fun, but the level of commitment isn't there for me. No matter how often I go, I wouldn't consider myself a "kickboxer."

Similarly, I've been weight lifting with a trainer for 2 years. I'm just now starting to see breakthroughs in that area of my fitness and am learning how to make improvements on my own. I'm beginning to see myself as a"weight lifter."

For me, it has to do with level of training, knowledge, and expertise rather than a chosen venue.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

You mean... I'm not a weight lifter, then? But technically, it's LIFTING WEIGHTS. :sad:

Real runners are people who run. Location is irrelevant.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I find that when i run on the treadmill i don't feel as productive or stress relieved as when i run outside. there is something about being outside running completely in your element that the treadmill doesn't offer. but to each their own, and at least they are doing it and bettering their own lives.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    do you ever find yourself in a conversation with someone who says they run, only to find out that it's only on the treadmill? do you immediately dismiss them as not being a real runner?

i'm not talking about jumping on the treadmill when the weather is too extreme to run outside, or for a warm up to cross/strength train. i mean the people that drive to the gym or go to their basement/garage/spare bedroom to only run on a treadmill 365 days a year.
    I read all four pages and didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but maybe someone like me would be uncomfortable running outside due to their size and low fitness level? I mean, when you think of a runner, you imagine someone lean and toned and really graceful as they move.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people, who are not small, just starting out, getting hateful looks from others, nasty comments being tossed their way, and even having garbage chucked at them while they try to run.

Maybe they feel safer inside on a treadmill in their own home, rather than going outside where people can see them? My husband goes with me on most of my walks, and whenever I jog at all, its with him because I feel safer with him there. If I had a treadmill at home, I'd probably run a lot more on it and as I got smaller, maybe be brave enough to join the "real runners" outside.

I feel like indoors/outdoors, no matter where you do it, if you are always moving at a pace faster than a walk than you can be considered a runner.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Although I've been running as a form of exercise for years, I never felt like a "runner" until I stepped it up a notch. I started running more and more frequently, paying attention to form, reading about how to improve, racing, and hitting PRs I never thought I could achieve. There was more of a methodology involved.

I've taken quite a few kickboxing classes in an MMA studio. It's fun, but the level of commitment isn't there for me. No matter how often I go, I wouldn't consider myself a "kickboxer."
    And if I saw you in your running mode out on a street or in the gym on the treadmill, without being aware of your whole back story, I'd consider you a runner. Or if I was a beginner stepping into the MMA studio and I saw you doing your kickboxing thing, I'd admire your skills because mine are non-existent; you'd be a kickboxer to me.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I read all four pages and didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but maybe someone like me would be uncomfortable running outside due to their size and low fitness level? I mean, when you think of a runner, you imagine someone lean and toned and really graceful as they move.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people, who are not small, just starting out, getting hateful looks from others, nasty comments being tossed their way, and even having garbage chucked at them while they try to run.
    You clearly haven't found your way to the C25K group :) Welcome! And this is a pretty fab read:
    http://flintland.blogspot.fi/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    'bounce in place-ers' - Uh, yeah you can do that if the speed is set on what, like 1-3? So you're power walking with a lot of extra effort to look like running. THAT isn't running. BUT crank up that speed to where you HAVE to keep up or else you're going to fall the **** off, that's running. Sorry dear. When you are moving at a pace faster than you can walk that's running. And you can bounce in place outside just as easy, trust me I see enough of you out door REAL runners in your fitness outfits that are just outside to 'look good'.

This whole discussion seems rather stupid. If you're running at a regular period of time routinely that makes you a runner. Scenery and terrain is what you prefer. As much as you want to keep saying its not it, it does seem like a group of people that want to demean those that only run inside. You want to make those of us that run indoors feel not as 'good' as you (don't say that you aren't because now you want to call us names in your recent post).

Half of American can't even get off the couch or are brave enough to decide to try and live healthy --if one of us is actually running, that's an accomplishment.

What about people that run on sidewalks vs treadmill vs outdoor track, vs indoor track, vs trail, vs park, vs hills, vs country vs suburb area? Where does it end lol

TLDR: Stop being rude.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?

Yes, Danny. Or is someone who benches 250# a lifter, but I'm not because I only can bench 80#?

If you run, you're a runner. Be it indoors on a treadmill, indoors on a track, outdoors on a track, the road, or a trail. I also think it had absolutely nothing to do with training for a race. Some just run for the sake of running. Some run to lose weight. Some run for speed. Some run to compete. Some run for all of those reasons and utilize all those modes.

They're all runners.

:flowerforyou: Yes, I was thinking along the same lines as the lifting comment.

ETA: for running (and lifting) not everyone will be at the same level, but I don't think that makes some better than others.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    i've only read the OP, not the rest of the posts, so i hope someone else has said this, but boy is that ****ing arrogant as all hell. I rotate outside running with treadmill running as it's easier on my knees and hips. you come off as an absolute *kitten* calling everyone who runs on the treadmill not a real runner.

bad form, man.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread then.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    i've only read the OP, not the rest of the posts, so i hope someone else has said this, but boy is that ****ing arrogant as all hell. I rotate outside running with treadmill running as it's easier on my knees and hips. you come off as an absolute *kitten* calling everyone who runs on the treadmill not a real runner.

bad form, man.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread then.

You come off as an absolute *kitten* for not reading his comment/question properly.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Honestly,if you give your best effort in running (no matter what pace)then you're a runner.
    This!
    /thread
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.
    speaking of dumb, you sure have a lot of those kinds of opinions.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    'bounce in place-ers' - Uh, yeah you can do that if the speed is set on what, like 1-3? So you're power walking with a lot of extra effort to look like running. THAT isn't running. BUT crank up that speed to where you HAVE to keep up or else you're going to fall the **** off, that's running. Sorry dear. When you are moving at a pace faster than you can walk that's running. And you can bounce in place outside just as easy, trust me I see enough of you out door REAL runners in your fitness outfits that are just outside to 'look good'.

This whole discussion seems rather stupid. If you're running at a regular period of time routinely that makes you a runner. Scenery and terrain is what you prefer. As much as you want to keep saying its not it, it does seem like a group of people that want to demean those that only run inside. You want to make those of us that run indoors feel not as 'good' as you (don't say that you aren't because now you want to call us names in your recent post).

Half of American can't even get off the couch or are brave enough to decide to try and live healthy --if one of us is actually running, that's an accomplishment.

TLDR: Stop being rude.

200x200px-ZC-48cb9642_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    How about we just let people call themselves what they'd like and worry about what we want to call ourselves and doing our best to live up to it.

For example, if I want to call myself a runner I'm going to do my best to live up to that. Whether it's indoors or outdoors is irrelevant as long as I'm achieving what what I set out to do (be a runner).

I think if we spent half as much effort concentrating on ourselves as we did on what others are doing we could achieve some even more incredible things than we already do.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

bad form, man.

yeah, you should have read the responses, even my own.

no where in my original post am i judging anyone. i am asking if runners that mostly forgo the treadmill judge runners that exclusively use a treadmill.

personally i believe that if you run, you are a runner. however their is a difference in running outside to running indoors, and i advise people to run outdoors as often as they can, especially if they're training for a race.

but i also believe that there are different running communities. so does most of the world, seeing as there are many running events at the olympics. there is not just one medal given out for Running, as there are many short, middle, and long distance events.