to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• SimplySabR
    SimplySabR Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?

Yes, I am. I can't think of any perceptible benefit of further subdividing the subculture of runners by making it some kind of exclusive club only accessible by those who meet the ever-changing requirements of it's other members. Im sure every single one of us who considers ourselves to be runners would find that there are other runners who don't think we qualify. And for what cause? Exclusivity?
  • occsunray
    occsunray Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think of runners as a group of inclusive, supportive people who do something they enjoy at every fitness level and persevering to better themselves. I get both feet off the ground while I sweat my butt off running my 12 minute mile on a treadmill. I am a runner.
  • Junken__Diraffe
    Options

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?

Yes, Danny. Or is someone who benches 250# a lifter, but I'm not because I only can bench 80#?

If you run, you're a runner. Be it indoors on a treadmill, indoors on a track, outdoors on a track, the road, or a trail. I also think it had absolutely nothing to do with training for a race. Some just run for the sake of running. Some run to lose weight. Some run for speed. Some run to compete. Some run for all of those reasons and utilize all those modes.

They're all runners.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I think of runners as a group of inclusive, supportive people who do something they enjoy at every fitness level and persevering to better themselves. I get both feet off the ground while I sweat my butt off running my 12 minute mile on a treadmill. I am a runner. Quit being a douche bag.

i don't like being called names, especially when i haven't said anything where i specifically judge people. i've asked if other runners, specifically runners that use the treadmill minimally, judge others that mostly use a treadmill.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? Do what works for you. I've done an ultra marathon, but that doesn't make me a better runner than someone doing a 5K.

YES, YES IT DOES.
    *bows down*

you're better than all of us.
    :flowerforyou:
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've never run on a treadmill (except about three times when it was really icy outside) and I've never used exercise bikes in gyms either because I don't see why I would waste my time paying to do something indoors that I can do for free outside. But I agree that anyone who runs anywhere and thinks of him or herself as a runner is a runner.

When I started running (as an alternative to the gym) I didn't think of myself as a runner because it was just exercise. I was a person who happened to be doing some running. I became a runner when I started seeing it as a sport rather than a cardio exercise that could be substituted for any other cardio exercise.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

But if you have never EVER, EVER run outside....

You're not a REAL runner.
  • SimplySabR
    Options
    I think of runners as a group of inclusive, supportive people who do something they enjoy at every fitness level and persevering to better themselves. I get both feet off the ground while I sweat my butt off running my 12 minute mile on a treadmill. I am a runner. Quit being a douche bag.

i don't like being called names, especially when i haven't said anything where i specifically judge people. i've asked if other runners, specifically runners that use the treadmill minimally, judge others that mostly use a treadmill.

I see what you're saying.

I consider myself to be a runner. I know other people might not, because I don't run super long distances, or because I haven't run any races yet, or because I haven't been at it for a really long time. But I consider myself to be a runner, and I think I meet the minimum criteria.

I run three times a week, sometimes four. A minimum of two of those runs are on the treadmill - despite the fact that I hate the treadmill. So, if I had a choice that didn't sacrifice convenience, I'd never run on the treadmill. But I don't think Im less of a runner because a high percentage of my runs take place on a treadmill.

I do think there is a mental state of mind that makes someone identify as being a runner - enjoyment, frequency, a combination of many factors - but I think if you run and call yourself a runner, you are one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Yes, Danny. Or is someone who benches 250# a lifter, but I'm not because I only can bench 80#?

If you run, you're a runner. Be it indoors on a treadmill, indoors on a track, outdoors on a track, the road, or a trail. I also think it had absolutely nothing to do with training for a race. Some just run for the sake of running. Some run to lose weight. Some run for speed. Some run to compete. Some run for all of those reasons and utilize all those modes.

They're all runners.

i personally agree with this. a runner is a runner. i would want to compare stats and records with someone, but never in a judgy kind of way. more like "this is my 5k/half marathon time and pace, fastest mile ever blah blah blah" more for the sake of my own personal competitiveness.

Yes, I am. I can't think of any perceptible benefit of further subdividing the subculture of runners by making it some kind of exclusive club only accessible by those who meet the ever-changing requirements of it's other members. Im sure every single one of us who considers ourselves to be runners would find that there are other runners who don't think we qualify. And for what cause? Exclusivity?

this i don't agree with. you can be a person that runs a 5k in 18 minutes, and you can't be in the same esteem as a marathon runner. same goes for the reverse. it's comparing apples to oranges. lebron james and michael phelps are both olympic gold medalists. but you can't exactly compare them either.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? Do what works for you. I've done an ultra marathon, but that doesn't make me a better runner than someone doing a 5K.

YES, YES IT DOES.
    *bows down*

Does it really? Someone who runs an ultra accomplishes an incredible feat of endurance, someone who runs a 17min 5K is incredibly fast but is one "better" than the other? Apples and oranges.......
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Many runners (as in marathon and ironman competitors) live in regions where they cannot get their miles in during the winter, or wish to run in their basements with the heat cranked on to simulate Kona race conditions. They do a lot of treadmill running. Yet - they are real runners, make no mistake.

Here's Canadian Lori Bowden on her way to the first ever sub 3 marathon during the Ironman Championships. She likes the treadmill.

28ldvf8.jpg
  • dschinker
    dschinker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes - they are both runners. Runner come in all shapes, sizes, and degrees of training & fitness. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Many runners (as in marathon and ironman competitors) live in regions where they cannot get their miles in during the winter, or wish to run in their basements with the heat cranked on to simulate Kona race conditions. They do a lot of treadmill running. Yet - they are real runners, make no mistake.

Here's Canadian Lori Bowden on her way to the first ever sub 3 marathon during the Ironman Championships. She likes the treadmill.

28ldvf8.jpg

i specifically said in my original post about excluding the time when extreme weather, either hot or cold, prevents one from running out doors.
  • running4thehigh
    Options

YES, YES IT DOES.
    *bows down*

Does it really? Someone who runs an ultra accomplishes an incredible feat of endurance, someone who runs a 17min 5K is incredibly fast but is one "better" than the other? Apples and oranges.......

Very true. Somebody who can run a 17min 5k is my hero too.
    I love apples AND oranges.

You're all awesome.
  • SimplySabR
    Options

They're all runners.

i personally agree with this. a runner is a runner. i would want to compare stats and records with someone, but never in a judgy kind of way. more like "this is my 5k/half marathon time and pace, fastest mile ever blah blah blah" more for the sake of my own personal competitiveness.

this i don't agree with. you can be a person that runs a 5k in 18 minutes, and you can't be in the same esteem as a marathon runner. same goes for the reverse. it's comparing apples to oranges. lebron james and michael phelps are both olympic gold medalists. but you can't exactly compare them either.

I didn't say they're comparable. I just think that they're all part of this little club we call runners. There are plenty of ways to further divide within it you wanted to, but to say that you can't belong to the club at all if you don't run ultras, or if you don't run outside or inside or on the moon - not cool.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

That would be a marathoner :)

There's runners, and then there are racers. Not all runners are racers, but all racers are runners. My dad has run 5 miles every morning for 30+ years, but will never run a race because he thinks the racing scene is a bunch of "yuppies."

I think treadmillers have a certain mental strength I'll never have, but they also would probably shrivel up and die in the elements of an outside run if that's not their thing. Personally, I prefer the challenge of outside, from being able to pick new routes on the fly and having to endure elements and other unpredictables. I'm in the camp of "I'll do me and you do you."
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I didn't say they're comparable. I just think that they're all part of this little club we call runners. There are plenty of ways to further divide within it you wanted to, but to say that you can't belong to the club at all if you don't run ultras, or if you don't run outside or inside or on the moon - not cool.

who said that they didn't belong in the club? not me.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I agree with this ^ Some of you are only making us runners sound like holier than thou snobs! Knock it off!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of interesting to think about...I lift primarily for the purpose of my fitness and not to much further end than that at this point...I perform many of the same movements as a body builder or a power lifter, but I would not consider myself either of those things...I simply lift for fitness.

I would similarly think there is a difference between someone who runs for the sake of their fitness, whether that be on a treadmill or on the road and a "runner" who participates in events and works at a competitive level that goes beyond just being kinda fit.

I personally wouldn't put a premium on competitive distance as I'm lucky if I can knock out 3 miles without needing about two weeks of recovery of my posterior tibial tendons, but I'm sure within the running community there are many layers of such snobbery. I know certainly within the cycling community, the layers of snobbery are tremendous...I ride around 100 miles per week and participate in events but there are any number of cyclists who just kinda sigh and nod and roll there eyes because I have no interest in doing more than 50 miles at a pop....also I'm a cat 5 so that pretty much automatically gets me a few eye rolls at any event.

Fitness can be a strange thing indeed.
  • SimplySabR
    Options
    I think this a wonderful conversation we're all having. I wish MFP had a like button.