to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• crosstraindylan
    crosstraindylan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Honestly,if you give your best effort in running (no matter what pace)then you're a runner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of interesting to think about...I lift primarily for the purpose of my fitness and not to much further end than that at this point...I perform many of the same movements as a body builder or a power lifter, but I would not consider myself either of those things...I simply lift for fitness.

I would similarly think there is a difference between someone who runs for the sake of their fitness, whether that be on a treadmill or on the road and a "runner" who participates in events and works at a competitive level that goes beyond just being kinda fit.

I personally wouldn't put a premium on competitive distance as I'm lucky if I can knock out 3 miles without needing about two weeks of recovery of my posterior tibial tendons, but I'm sure within the running community there are many layers of such snobbery. I know certainly within the cycling community, the layers of snobbery are tremendous...I ride around 100 miles per week and participate in events but there are any number of cyclists who just kinda sigh and nod and roll there eyes because I have no interest in doing more than 50 miles at a pop....

Fitness can be a strange thing indeed.

don't even get me started on cyclists. bunch of snobs in their pretty little matching outfits.

It's a pretty broad spectrum...CX riders are pretty awesome and you just want to hang out with everyone and drink beer afterwards, same for Mt riders...Crit riders are the worst and you just want to accidentally nudge all of them with your elbow...
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

In principal, I agree with you, however, I disagree with the last statement. Ultra marathons are not dumb. If they aren't for you, then that's cool. Personally, I'm just starting to do them and they are not dumb. They're hard and they require a crapload of training and endurance and if they are on trails, they are a whole different animal than the road. My next one is in two weeks and I'm hopeful to do well.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Hrm, I run primarily for the weight loss benefits. I run outdoors primarily even if the weather is inclement.

Am I a "real" runner or a "Pinocchio"? (Y' know...only half real) :laugh:
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Why the heck judge anyone at all. Run your own race.

i do run my own race. often times quite slowly. sometimes very fast.

That's great! But NEVER on a treadmill. lol. :) I'm teasing you. I ran for the first time last night in my neighborhood using c25k. I have not run in 15ish years. My neighborhood is very hilly and for a brief moment I WISHED I was on a darn treadmill instead. I am concerned that if I start out running up and down hills I could injure myself. I'm having a hard time finding level and semi level terrain. I've torn ligaments in both ankles within the past 8 years and I am very stiff and clumsy sometimes.
  • SimplySabR
    SimplySabR Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say they are not a runner. To be honest, a runner to me is someone who trains for some form of race...whether it's 5k or marathon. I personally can't run on a treadmill because I find it a kind of torturous hell to go absolutely nowhere. I need to be out there seeing the world and seeing how far I've gone.
    But it's all semantics...to be honest as long as someone is working towards being healthy, I'm happy.

Im sure some would say that a "real runner" feels no need to race - they only run for the pure unadulterated pleasure of the run itself. :wink:

to paraphrase one of my favorite movies... "then how do you measure yourself with other runners?"

"with a ruler."

Which is fine. *LIKE*

If you want to make sub-comparisons within, based on distance or speed or location or age or what have you, more power to you. But to strip one of the very identity of being a runner, just because they don't run just like you do? I just don't think there is any benefit to that.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I ran 3 years on a treadmill before even running outside. I didn't really consider myself a runner. Once I ran outside I couldn't set foot on one again. It just felt weird. I'm a trail runner exclusively now, but cheers to everyone that runs. I love when people say I don't go that far in my car. Well get off your *kitten* and move. Once you get that feeling, it's hard to go back.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Given the choice of running on a treadmill vs. not running, I will stay inside and do "Zumba". Its just too boring. This is MY preference. If someone chooses to run exclusively inside? More power to you. I couldnt do it.

On a side note, the first time I felt like a "real runner" she. When I had to crap in a corn field 6 miles into a 9 mile long run.

Dem calves! :wink: also, you win the internet for this comment. Hilarious!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?
    Why not? Obviously there are WAAAY different skills levels and goals of runners, so why does it have to be so specific?

ETA: I hate deadmill running, but I think if it works for someone then why should it matter?

i'm not saying it matters. i'm asking if it matters to people.
    I was more or less responding to your question with another question, not saying it was your thoughts :flowerforyou:

There's runners, and then there are racers. Not all runners are racers, but all racers are runners.
    Awesome way to put it!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.
    you are pleasant.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

In principal, I agree with you, however, I disagree with the last statement. Ultra marathons are not dumb. If they aren't for you, then that's cool. Personally, I'm just starting to do them and they are not dumb. They're hard and they require a crapload of training and endurance and if they are on trails, they are a whole different animal than the road. My next one is in two weeks and I'm hopeful to do well.

my apologizes. i added that last line for some comedic flair. one book that i credit getting me really into running was "born to run" by christopher mcdougall. i loved the whole zen aspect of running long distances. in a way, i called ultra-marathons dumb because they are soooooooo out of my comfort zone right now. maybe one day, but probably not.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

But if you have never EVER, EVER run outside....

You're not a REAL runner.

I run inside exclusively. I am a runner. Come at me bro.
    tumblr_li661wuJyz1qzjepo.gif
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hrm, I run primarily for the weight loss benefits. I run outdoors primarily even if the weather is inclement.

Am I a "real" runner or a "Pinocchio"? (Y' know...only half real) :laugh:

NEVER LIE DURING YOUR RUNS.

You'll have quite the balance issues.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 years on a treadmill before even running outside. I didn't really consider myself a runner. Once I ran outside I couldn't set foot on one again. It just felt weird. I'm a trail runner exclusively now, but cheers to everyone that runs. I love when people say I don't go that far in my car. Well get off your *kitten* and move. Once you get that feeling, it's hard to go back.

As I mentioned, I ran last night for the first time in 15 or so years and it nearly killed me. BUT, I felt soooooo good when I finished. I was on cloud 9. I don't think I ever wanna stop.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Why the heck judge anyone at all. Run your own race.

i do run my own race. often times quite slowly. sometimes very fast.

That's great! But NEVER on a treadmill. lol. :) I'm teasing you. I ran for the first time last night in my neighborhood using c25k. I have not run in 15ish years. My neighborhood is very hilly and for a brief moment I WISHED I was on a darn treadmill instead. I am concerned that if I start out running up and down hills I could injure myself. I'm having a hard time finding level and semi level terrain. I've torn ligaments in both ankles within the past 8 years and I am very stiff and clumsy sometimes.
    Careful with the downhill running. Here are some tips:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/art-downhill-running
    and
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/three-tips-for-running-downhill
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

but WHY?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    my apologizes. i added that last line for some comedic flair. one book that i credit getting me really into running was "born to run" by christopher mcdougall. i loved the whole zen aspect of running long distances. in a way, i called ultra-marathons dumb because they are soooooooo out of my comfort zone right now. maybe one day, but probably not.
    Most unusual online. Kudos for the first sentence.
  • running4thehigh
    Options

that's dumb.
    you are pleasant.

I feel like that was sarcasm.

In my defense.... I have no defense. Go run outside. Go run outside TOO.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

but WHY?

i-do-what-i-want.gif
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

that's dumb.
    you are pleasant.

I feel like that was sarcasm.

In my defense.... I have no defense. Go run outside. Go run outside TOO.

leave crank alone. she's had some major injuries the last few years, and does what she can and has made some amazing progress despite it all.