• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Ummmm wasn't it gone? :huh:
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    New thought:
    running outside, personally, makes me a better runner.

Like one of the posts below me states: you can get off a treadmill any time...

Much too tempting! I'd rather run six miles into one direction, get tired and then be like.. crap, gotta get back
    to that wine and cheese and new episode of GOT waiting for me at home.
    = def. more challenging physically!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    HAHAHA @ the OP. Arrogant much? A runner is a runner is a runner. I run outside and on the tm. I just think it's funny (insert sarcasm) that you think you are better than others.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious thread? If you run, you're a runner. Why would we try to exclude anyone with the label of what a "real" runner is? It seems very petty for a website that's supposed to be about support.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Well, this was an interesting read of a thread...& it did exactly what you wanted it to do OP, good job.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, when I'm on the treadmill I can put in my headphones and fire up my ebook and just run in blissful ignorance of everyone who's apparently judging me for running on a treadmill.

But you know what?

1. I live in a place that's ice-and-snow covered and completely frigid for 2/3 of the year. Running through a foot of unshoveled snow or unsanded ice isn't a lot of fun for me.

2. I also live in a very urban area where running outdoors involves a lot of traffic, strangers, etc. unless I drive somewhere else.

3. At my latitude, there would be a lot of running in the dark for much of the year...and, again, lone woman in the city in the dark is something I avoid as much as possible.

4. I like to run with music...and having my headphones blaring isn't safe for outdoors either between the traffic and the people.

Add those 4 safety issues to the fact that I don't really enjoy running and just do it for my cardiovascular health...and I'm perfectly happy to just set my pace (and bonus! I know exactly how fast I'm going) and my incline (varied, but always at least a bit to compensate a bit for the treadmill-belt-propulsion) and just run while I zone out with my headphones, paying zero attention to the world around me.

It's way less excruciating than spending that time jogging at red lights, watching out for the nearby gang of teenage boys with bag-covered bottles, getting frostbite on my face in the -40 windchill and wiping out on snow-covered ice, and getting harassed by creeps on their balconies as I run by. But I'm happy to leave those experiences to "real" runners in exchange for a peaceful, safe workout.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

In principal, I agree with you, however, I disagree with the last statement. Ultra marathons are not dumb. If they aren't for you, then that's cool. Personally, I'm just starting to do them and they are not dumb. They're hard and they require a crapload of training and endurance and if they are on trails, they are a whole different animal than the road. My next one is in two weeks and I'm hopeful to do well.

my apologizes. i added that last line for some comedic flair. one book that i credit getting me really into running was "born to run" by christopher mcdougall. i loved the whole zen aspect of running long distances. in a way, i called ultra-marathons dumb because they are soooooooo out of my comfort zone right now. maybe one day, but probably not.

I love that book!!!! I missed the comedy part of your comment...my apologies! Lol!:flowerforyou:
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

But if you have never EVER, EVER run outside....

You're not a REAL runner.

I ran after the cat once when he got out. Does that count? :bigsmile:
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. However, after a very harsh winter, I did most of my running on a treadmill. I was thankful for the treadmill when I ran the Nashville Country Music Marathon (full) this Spring. Am I a runner or not?
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I run on treadmill in bad weather, and outside whenever the weather cooperates - I live in Central Alberta - so weather is kind of unpredictable.
    I consider myself a runner, and although I don't have aspirations of running a marathon, i will usually run a couple of 5-8k runs every summer just for the enjoyment of getting out while the weather is nice.
    I have had 2 ACL reconstructions on both knees and have intentions of running until the knees will no longer allow.....
    Treadmill or outside - should not be exclusive - everybody has different reasons for when / how they run - respect to all of them
    :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What a silly thread
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am. I can't think of any perceptible benefit of further subdividing the subculture of runners by making it some kind of exclusive club only accessible by those who meet the ever-changing requirements of it's other members. Im sure every single one of us who considers ourselves to be runners would find that there are other runners who don't think we qualify. And for what cause? Exclusivity?

+1
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...

I'm going with this. I live in a very hilly area and it's insanely hot and humid for a lot of the year. I don't think that people who run inside on a track or treadmill aren't runners, they just run in a different place than I do.
  • Xenus
    Xenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run (indoors or out) then you're a runner.
    This! This! This!
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • _Igotthis_
    _Igotthis_ Posts: 3
    Options

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run (indoors or out) then you're a runner.

I have a big crush on you for posting this :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Well, this was an interesting read of a thread...& it did exactly what you wanted it to do OP, good job.
    thanks ty. My holiday at work was sufficiently entertaining.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 - I have run a half (under 2hrs). several 10Ks (pb 48min just before I turned 50) and 5ks. I live at the top of a 204M incline - anywhere I go means its uphill on the home stretch. For the last couple of years I have run on my treadmill and outside less and less often. But then I also live in BC. Since I have taken up lifting, I find doing intervals and tempo runs more rewarding than longer distances.

To each their own - at least we are moving.
  • Mamabearto5
    Mamabearto5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have talked to a few people who have told me they run exclusively on the treadmill... I think they are "real" runners, I just feel bad for them a little bit because the fresh air and scenery is NOTHING like running indoors on a machine. They said.... your poor thing, your knees will hate you... I thought... you poor thing, you must be bored!