Clean Eating

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    and there is no need to avoid corn, flour, rice etc or to take supplements unless you have an individual medical reason to do so.

Not necessary from a weight loss perspective.

I don't think she said from a weight loss perspective. She said high-GI carbs cause inflammation, and there's evidence to support this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1188.full

"Conclusions:The findings suggest that high-normal physiologic increases in blood glucose after meals aggravate inflammatory processes in lean, young adults. This mechanism may help to explain relations between carbohydrates, glycemic index, and the risk of chronic disease."
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    and there is no need to avoid corn, flour, rice etc or to take supplements unless you have an individual medical reason to do so.

Not necessary from a weight loss perspective.

I don't think she said from a weight loss perspective. She said high-GI carbs cause inflammation, and there's evidence to support this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1188.full

"Conclusions:The findings suggest that high-normal physiologic increases in blood glucose after meals aggravate inflammatory processes in lean, young adults. This mechanism may help to explain relations between carbohydrates, glycemic index, and the risk of chronic disease."

I think she should listen to her body. If it doesn't agree with her, don't eat it. Some people can not eat upwards of 12-20 foods. They then show research and studies to others to show them what to eat. Another person will give a contradictory opinion and tout studies. Glycemic index also changes when combining foods but tell a professional cyclist that and he says he needs the carbs and simple sugars. It's all a matter of perspective.
  • CharloK2
    CharloK2 Posts: 7
    Options
    Lots of great responses here. Just wanted to add that from what I've researched, there is really no such thing as "clean" foods. There is nutrient value "considerations" however (e.g. micronutrients, vitamins, etc) and how they make you feel and help with overall physiological functions in the body. I used to think if you trained, you had to eat "clean" foods. With modern research studies that is proving not to be true. Its ultimately calories in/out, but choosing healthy food choices (e.g. fruits/veggies/etc) has some significant play in your overall health/nutrition and making you feel better (e.g. energy balance). IIFYM's help the diet be more of a lifestyle and sustainable over long term. I recommend to pick a reputable resource(s) and do some research online, there are people that dedicate their lives to doing nutrition (academic) studies that are far more qualified than the laymen person. Best of luck to you! =)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think she should listen to her body. If it doesn't agree with her, don't eat it. Some people can not eat upwards of 12-20 foods. They then show research and studies to others to show them what to eat. Another person will give a contradictory opinion and tout studies. Glycemic index also changes when combining foods but tell a professional cyclist that and he says he needs the carbs and simple sugars. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't disagree. I eat high-GI carbs pre- and post-workout. I'm pointing out that the poster was making a comment about inflammation, not weight loss.