Clean Eating

Options
misskelly427
misskelly427 Posts: 28 Member
Hi everyone!
I just heard about this amazing site and am starting my weight loss journey tomorrow. I have just thrown away all of my terrible packaged preservative filled foods, and have done research on clean eating. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for me? Thank you!
Can't wait for the healthy new me!

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Tip: do more research on MFP for the "clean eating" debates. Lol
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Just know that clean eating in and of itself does not cause weight loss. You have to eat less calories then you burn to lose weight. You can do that eating processed foods or not.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Good luck. No food is bad food. Calories in, calories out ... is the key to weight lost. Finding something which works for you and you can keep doing is the key to keeping the weight off.
  • misskelly427
    Options
    This will be my first step in starting my weight loss (HOPEFULLY!) I am hoping that starting to eat healthier will give me more energy, and will give me the boost to start working out. I know that most food in moderation is ok, but I also know that if there is a package of cupcakes here I will eat them.... all.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This will be my first step in starting my weight loss (HOPEFULLY!) I am hoping that starting to eat healthier will give me more energy, and will give me the boost to start working out. I know that most food in moderation is ok, but I also know that if there is a package of cupcakes here I will eat them.... all.

Just teach yourself how to eat the things you love without binging. It takes time I know but most of us are used to it.
  • JennyHollyHansen
    Options
    Good for you! I think Clean Eating is the way to go. Benefits of clean eating is that it can drastically reduce or eliminate cravings. Clean eating will change your health and hopefully your weight. I disagree that it is all calorie counting. I eat weight more calories than I am supposed to but I eat very clean and healthy and I lose half a pound a day.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You have no idea the storm you just started...lol.

Although I have nothing against those that want to "eat clean" just remember that generally restricting your diet a lot, especially at first causes a lot of people to fail. The other thing is you have to make sure this is something you can maintain for life.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of clean eating. For example, if an apple falls on the floor, I will pick it up, and clean it before eating.
  • misskelly427
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Just know that clean eating in and of itself does not cause weight loss. You have to eat less calories then you burn to lose weight. You can do that eating processed foods or not.
    Rings true. And for most that go the "clean" eating route, it's usually a 180 from how they used to eat done in less than a week. That type of extreme and abrupt change usually causes regain in weight and binge due to the fact that in a week or two cravings from all their favorite foods that they abstained from hit them hard and mentally they weren't ready for it.
    From my personal experience people who just add more whole foods to their current diets will figure out a way where they can eat both and still lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I agree with nine buff. Instead of depriving yourself from all the food you love, start by adding healthier choices. For example, instead of starting your dinner with a pizza, eat a huge salad first and then have your pizza. Try adding more veggies and eat gem before you eat all of your other stuff. Over time you get used to making healthier choices.

I agree on the fact that at the end of the day it is all about calories in versus out, BUT for your overall health it is better if those calories are made up from healthier choices.

Bets of luck
    Stef.
    P.S. There are tons of threads out there with the same questions. Once you dig into them you will see what can of worms you have just opened again.
  • Yagisama
    Options
    Rings true. And for most that go the "clean" eating route, it's usually a 180 from how they used to eat done in less than a week. That type of extreme and abrupt change usually causes regain in weight and binge due to the fact that in a week or two cravings from all their favorite foods that they abstained from hit them hard and mentally they weren't ready for it.
    From my personal experience people who just add more whole foods to their current diets will figure out a way where they can eat both and still lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Exactly. I've run across so many people who make sudden dietary changes, sound like born again nutritionists, and thumb their nose at things they used to eat just last week (processed foods, carbs, sugars, etc are the devil !!!). Their new diet is not sustainable and they end up regaining all the weight. Then they start again with the "I lost X weight by not eating Y so I'm going to do it again" mentality.
  • misskelly427
    Options
    I guess I prefer to think of it as a change in lifestyle. I am listening to what my body has been trying to tell me, and that is that I need a total overhaul. I am ready for it. I know I will crave certain foods, but im sick of feeling like garbage all the time.
  • misskelly427
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!
  • Yagisama
    Options
    I guess I prefer to think of it as a change in lifestyle. I am listening to what my body has been trying to tell me, and that is that I need a total overhaul. I am ready for it. I know I will crave certain foods, but im sick of feeling like garbage all the time.

If you are certain that you can indefinitely continue the dietary changes you are making and make them lifestyle changes as opposed to just a "diet" then you are on your way to a healthy lifestyle and that's all there is to it.
  • Alluminati
    Options

I'm curious as to why you started this thread then, if you did all your research on clean eating and you've gotten some good advice. It sounds like you came in with your mind made up. Good luck.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

Sorry that people didn't tell you what you wanted. Lol.
  • maryowens1
    maryowens1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I recommend learning how to cook more of your food and eating less processed food in general. That doesn't mean you have to give up all the foods you love, but learn to cook for yourself so you know what's in your food. If you buy a lot of different produce and the basics to stock your pantry (oil, grains, beans, spices) you will be doing yourself a real favor over time.

Even foods like granola -- you'd be surprised how easy it is to make this yourself. Or salad dressing -- I haven't bought bottled salad dressing in years. You can make your own fresh dressing in barely any time at all, and it won't have preservatives in it. Don't buy packaged cupcakes -- bake your own. And give away some of them to your friends and neighbors, so you don't eat more than you wanted :)

Also try to buy better quality meat, but less of it. Make it the smallest portion of your dinner, and up the size of the veggie portions.

For the record, I cook a lot and my family eats quite well, but it wasn't until I started using this site that I realized I need to be more aware of portion sizes, and the act of recording what I eat in a day has helped with my awareness. I'm using a metal cup measure to dole out my servings of rice, etc. so that I learn how much I'm actually eating. I also got a digital kitchen scale, for the same reason. You don't have to go overboard, but it is helpful initially to learn what the intended portion size is. It has been an eye-opener for me.

Good luck!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there are some very unsupportive people on this forum. On the other hand it's good to get a different (ie negative) perspective. Clean eating is great and your body will love you for it. If you can't stick to it 100% though don't beat yourself up about it - be happy if you can manage 80/20. Best of luck.
  • misskelly427
    Options
    I started this thread because I heard that this was a supportive place. I guess when you are about to embark on a new journey you hope there is a place to go to make it a little easier and a little better.