Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Clean eating does more than just help you lose weight - it works the mind, body and soul. Once I threw out all of the processed foods and started eating clean, I felt amazing and had better clarity. You will still need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Good luck on your journey!
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I just threw out my fake, imitation Snicker style ice cream bars by Skinny Cow for the real Snickers ice cream bars. I'll take the 20 extra cals for taste any day. I guess we're both making changes!

:drinker: for ice cream!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of "clean eating" is a concept that means different things to different people.

Make sure you find a way of doing things that works for you.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I didnt all of a sudden just decide yesterday I was just going to throw out all my food just for fun. I gave my unopened packaged food tp my father, but I was fairly certain he did not want my husbands used bacon ketchup thats been sitting in the fridge for months. Apparently your words are more critiqued here then I would have thought. I will be more aware of this going forward. And why am I starting today, other than the fact that tuesday is grocery shopping day, I am starting today because something clicked for me. Because im sick of feeling gross. I dont want to be unhealthy anymore.

what is this bacon ketchup you speak of?
    mmmmm bacon
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The "no processed food" is another debatable point. I just got through having some cashew butter on my homemade oatmeal muffins. The cashew butter is processed...came in a jar...guess what it has in it...yep...cashews...that is it.

So while I stay clear of some processed foods (mainly because of the sodium since I have HBP) there are healthy choices out there in Processed Land. You just have to choose the ones that fit your goals and the outcome that you are seeking.

Right. Like I recently got bored with eggs and more eggs (aside: the person who supposedly coined the term "clean eating," Tosca Reno, recommends egg whites, which seem either wasteful or processed to me), so I decided to return to an old favorite breakfast, steel cut oats. Horrors, processed, so bad, I guess, or unclean. But I see no earthly reason why I should follow some arbitrary rule under which oatmeal is bad for me. Of course, I did try adding some protein powder one day, which is even more processed (yet I see similar stuff recommended or eaten by "clean eaters" often enough).
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The "no processed food" is another debatable point. I just got through having some cashew butter on my homemade oatmeal muffins. The cashew butter is processed...came in a jar...guess what it has in it...yep...cashews...that is it.

I don't think that's what's meant by "processed foods" (except maybe to a few zealots). A lot of clean eating recipes call for things like olive oil and apple cider vinegar, and I don't think anyone expects you to press or brew your own.

I think most reasonable people understand "processed foods" to be those that are high in fat, salt, preservatives, and refined sugars, and low in vitamins and minerals. Lunchables, for instance.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say, OP Kelly has been very gracious in her responses to alot of the comments. Yes, some of them were rude, but most were helpful or at least were intended to be helpful. You've got a good head on your shoulders girl, and just keep a positive attitude, an open mind towards healthy eating, and stick to your guns. Yes you'll have bad days or cheat days, and people will give you crap over what you decide to call your "diet" or lifestyle. But if you find what works for you - more power to you! MFP is a great resource, and personally I find the forums 10% helpful, 10% motivating, and 80% pure snarky entertainment. :bigsmile:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's what's meant by "processed foods" (except maybe to a few zealots). A lot of clean eating recipes call for things like olive oil and apple cider vinegar, and I don't think anyone expects you to press or brew your own.

I think most reasonable people understand "processed foods" to be those that are high in fat, salt, preservatives, and refined sugars, and low in vitamins and minerals. Lunchables, for instance.

And here we have a good illustration of the bigger issue with "clean eating". It is completely indefinable. Everyone has their own thoughts on what is clean or what is processed etc...

Again not a reason not to "eat clean" but personally I find that way too frustrating to try and follow.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't see why anyone would understand that. I generally try to interpret people based on the words they use, and "processed" is FAR broader than the definition you give here, while there are plenty of non-processed foods that are high in fat, salt, or refined sugars, at least unless sugar or flour themselves disqualify anything made with them (unlike olive oil, apparently).

That's why I wish people would drop the annoying "clean eating" term and just say what they mean. Personally I'm all for mostly cooking from whole foods, not because it actually matters for losing weight (assuming you are disciplined enough to stick to a calorie goal) or because all processed foods are unnatural and bad (the unnatural argument is irritating enough when just dairy is being attacked), but because IMO (and others can differ) homemade is usually tastier and more filling for fewer calories. But like I keep saying, it's no cure for obesity--I managed to get fat while disliking most of the processed foods you seem to be referring to.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do understand that you of course can eat everything in moderation and count calories and lose weight. I personally decided that my willpower is overruled when I come face to face with delicious cake topped with frosting. If I dont change my lifestyle, my *kitten* will just grow and grow. So I have decided to do a total change. If its not here, I wont eat it. Its as simple as that. Will there be days that I will fail? Of course. I know there will be. Will I be able to keep sustain this type of eating? I'm hopeful. Im creative when it comes to cooking. I hope eating better will make me feel better and I will feel rewarded by that and will continue on.

I am the same way with cake, cookies, chips, crackers, and on and on. There are things I can keep in the house and moderate, but those things are few and far between. What I do is if I really want something, I buy a serving of it. Little cookie package, single serving bag of chips, a cupcake, etc. I don't eat these things every day, but let myself have them now and again.

I tried "clean eating" and personally found that when I let myself have the "bad, naughty, awful" foods I was not allowed to have, I would binge and gain back any weight I lost. Then I would feel like I failed, and I would give up. For me, the problem was that I categorized foods as "good" and "bad" and categorized eating bad foods or going over calories as "failure." I think banishing that negativity is really the first and most important step in making a lifestyle change.

That said, if you like to cook, there are a lot of "clean eating" recipes that do satisfy cravings and for a fraction of the calories. I do love me some black bean brownies (and I won't eat the whole batch), cauliflower crust pizza, coconut flour pancakes, etc.
  • misskelly427
    misskelly427 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say, OP Kelly has been very gracious in her responses to alot of the comments. Yes, some of them were rude, but most were helpful or at least were intended to be helpful. You've got a good head on your shoulders girl, and just keep a positive attitude, an open mind towards healthy eating, and stick to your guns. Yes you'll have bad days or cheat days, and people will give you crap over what you decide to call your "diet" or lifestyle. But if you find what works for you - more power to you! MFP is a great resource, and personally I find the forums 10% helpful, 10% motivating, and 80% pure snarky entertainment. :bigsmile:

Thank you so much!
    It has been quite entertaining, and I am learning from the varied opinions.
    I am not discouraged at all.
    I do hope that people will stop being offended by the term "clean eating". The intent is not to make people feel that if they arent eating this way that it is in anyway "dirty". Its just what its called, I guess.
    Also, I see that a few people are put off because there is many different ways to define "clean eating", but isnt that like everything else in life? People have different opinions, views, and definitions about basically everything. And you cant ever say someones definition is wrong because it doesnt exactly match everyone elses.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

I didnt all of a sudden just decide yesterday I was just going to throw out all my food just for fun. I gave my unopened packaged food tp my father, but I was fairly certain he did not want my husbands used bacon ketchup thats been sitting in the fridge for months. Apparently your words are more critiqued here then I would have thought. I will be more aware of this going forward. And why am I starting today, other than the fact that tuesday is grocery shopping day, I am starting today because something clicked for me. Because im sick of feeling gross. I dont want to be unhealthy anymore.

what is this bacon ketchup you speak of?
    mmmmm bacon

No, NOOOOO we must not taint bacon. Clean BACON!!!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I have just thrown away all of my terrible packaged preservative filled foods

next time you're gonna do that, please let me know and i will send you my address to send the food.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of "clean eating" is a concept that means different things to different people.

Make sure you find a way of doing things that works for you.

oh you got that right....some very vast varieties of clean eating, if you ask me.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Cut out all sodas and try to incorporate more fruits and veggies in your snacking rather than sweets and chips. be sure to drink lots and lots and slots of water

:)

FYI

You can gain weight eating too many fruits and veggies....even "clean" ones.
  • misskelly427
    misskelly427 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

next time you're gonna do that, please let me know and i will send you my address to send the food.

You will notice in a previous post that I gave my father the unopened packaged food, and threw away the half used opened items that I presumed he would not touch because it probably been there for a while.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

You will notice in a previous post that I gave my father the unopened packaged food, and threw away the half used opened items that I presumed he would not touch because it probably been there for a while.

oh good good.
    hate to think of wasted food.
    glad it went to good use! :drinker:
  • mrsld
    mrsld Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I clean eat most of the time. When I'm being really good I feel great. When I'm bad I feel bloated and sluggish so it speaks volumes to me on how good clean eating is.
    I've lost 2 stone and 30 inches in 3 months.

Happy to provide more info if you want.

X
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I agree that you seem to have a good attitude, OP.
    I do hope that people will stop being offended by the term "clean eating". The intent is not to make people feel that if they arent eating this way that it is in anyway "dirty". Its just what its called, I guess.

I'm more logically offended than actually offended--the concept never seems to be applied rationally and no one means the same thing, so why have a term as if there really were a thing you were all referring to. Why not say you are trying to eat less processed food or cook more from whole foods or eat more fruits and vegetables or eliminate "added sugar" or whatever the particular thing you mean. As it is, no one knows, they just know that the person using it thinks there are unclean foods that that person eschews.

However, I think you are wrong. Not with respect to those who happen upon the term and like the concept (although an awful lot of people eat similarly or health-consciously without using the term or finding it appealing), but with respect to the origin of the term and what a lot of people intend with it. Like I said above, the internet (yeah, best source ever, not) says that Tosca Reno coined the term, and she certainly means to use it to distinguish "toxic foods" (and since she also seems anti egg yolk, it's especially incoherent). Beyond that, there's a whole movement of people who like the term, and there has to be some reason that particular term is used and clung to. It has to be the demonization of so-called non-clean foods, and a claim to be purer than those who eat them. (Of course in reality most "clean eaters" don't actually seem consistent.)
    And you cant ever say someones definition is wrong because it doesnt exactly match everyone elses.

True, but with other terms like vegetarian, vegan, even raw or paleo one knows what is meant. Clean eating doesn't serve that function, so it raises the question of what it's purpose is. I suspect, in addition to the explanations given above, that it's to try and make the "clean" foods seem more appealing (purer) and the others seem disgusting and thus less appealing. I think that's a damaging approach to foods, especially when it's not actually a natural sentiment (lots of us find certain foods disgusting) but an effort to change your opinion of a food you do like, and thus putting yourself in a position where you are drawn naturally to foods that you tell yourself are unnatural and disgusting. At least that's what seems problematic about it from a theoretical perspective. Rather than the "clean eating" negative approach, why not just try to make healthy changes and get excited about including nutrient dense foods and home cooked foods, etc.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That's why I wish people would drop the annoying "clean eating" term and just say what they mean.

If the term causes you so much discomfort, then why not just skip the thread entirely? After all, the subject was "Clean Eating" -- you didn't get suckered into reading it under false pretenses. As for what constitutes "processed", if somebody is going to agonize at the grocery store over the difference between Spaghetti-Os and organic almond butter because they both come in packages, then a different approach to diet is probably the best course.
    I managed to get fat while disliking most of the processed foods you seem to be referring to.

You must be under the impression that I said people can only get fat eating processed foods. I didn't. You can get fat eating anything, and you can lose weight eating anything.