Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The "no processed food" is another debatable point. I just got through having some cashew butter on my homemade oatmeal muffins. The cashew butter is processed...came in a jar...guess what it has in it...yep...cashews...that is it.

I don't think that's what's meant by "processed foods" (except maybe to a few zealots). A lot of clean eating recipes call for things like olive oil and apple cider vinegar, and I don't think anyone expects you to press or brew your own.

I think most reasonable people understand "processed foods" to be those that are high in fat, salt, preservatives, and refined sugars, and low in vitamins and minerals. Lunchables, for instance.

There in lies the problem...just like everyone has their own personal definition of "clean food"...people have their own definition of "processed".

Not sure if you are implying that I am not "reasonable" or not but my thoughts on that are...

I think most reasonable people will not be terrified of a "processed food".

To end...I don't eat a lot of food that has all of those additives that you mentioned...I am however reasonable enough to know that I can eat them in moderation and maintain my health.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think most reasonable people will not be terrified of a "processed food".

Nor should they be. Zombie apocalypse: terrifying. Hostess Twinkie: not terrifying
    To end...I don't eat a lot of food that has all of those additives that you mentioned...I am however reasonable enough to know that I can eat them in moderation and maintain my health.

Then it sounds like you have a very healthy perspective on diet, and a good understanding of what works for you.
  • corriegallaher
    Options
    I am on the same journey! The biggest thing I have learned is to READ LABELS! Try to avoid added sugar and salt (Use raw, natural honey) and skip it if there are ingredients that you don't know what they are. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store as much as possible, fresh meat, veggies, dairy, fruit. I have only been doing this for 6 weeks and it has made a HUGE change! Congrats on beginning the journey!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If the term causes you so much discomfort, then why not just skip the thread entirely?

How odd. Saying a term is annoying does not mean it causes me discomfort. It means I enjoy railing against it. And I read the thread originally because I was curious about the subject and quite enjoy arguments about clean eating, because it is such an annoying, self-righteous term.

Also, I thought the subject might be what it was--an OP using the term rather unwittingly to describe a desired lifestyle change, which is something I do support, as my initial answer indicated. But now it's become simply an entertaining CE debate.
    As for what constitutes "processed", if somebody is going to agonize at the grocery store over the difference between Spaghetti-Os and organic almond butter because they both come in packages, then a different approach to diet is probably the best course.

Or perhaps you should use a term that actually refers to whatever it is you mean.
    You must be under the impression that I said people can only get fat eating processed foods. I didn't. You can get fat eating anything, and you can lose weight eating anything.

So we agree. The impression I am under has nothing to do with you specifically (and I didn't say otherwise). It is related to the absurd claim by many "clean eaters" that eating clean is more significant than calories or essential to losing weight or that Americans are fat because we all eat hidden sugar in Lunchables or the like. Nonsense. People are fat because they eat more than they burn. They should know what they are eating and if they don't that's on them, but eating clean is not some magic pill that prevents obesity. Yet the way a lot of clean eaters talk you'd think that Lean Cuisines (which I don't like, but work for some) are enormously fattening, while a homemade roasted chicken with potatoes can't make you fat.

Well, except for all the clean eaters who hate "white foods" and would blame the potatoes despite the fact that they are much more fattening when cooked in chicken fat from the supposedly clean (maybe? depends who you ask) chicken. Or perhaps the answer is to eschew the whole chicken and eat the much more processed skinless, boneless breasts! (Certainly not my answer, for the record, some things are worth additional calories.)

(Someone upthread said that clean eaters use herbs and spices--nice to know that's been co-opted and is no longer simply normal cooking--unlike processed foods that use salt and fat. I'm pretty sure gourmet cooking involves plenty of salt and butter in the cooking process too, but somehow that's now just icky processed stuff.)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think Clean Eating is the way to go. Benefits of clean eating is that it can drastically reduce or eliminate cravings. Clean eating will change your health and hopefully your weight. I disagree that it is all calorie counting. I eat weight more calories than I am supposed to but I eat very clean and healthy and I lose half a pound a day.

Half a pound a day...are you kidding??? By eating more calories than you should??? You must be an alien from another universe who defies the laws of physics -- no other explanation. :noway:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

My opinion of the "clean eating" discussion on MFP is that most people who have been eating too much and not paying attention, or people who have been living on fast food and processed snacks and find themselves overweight and/or facing health issues see "clean eating" it as a chance to make a change for the better. They don't feel well physically and they're excited about making a change. They're not necessarily aware of all the hubbub surrounding the term. They've just done some Googling on healthier lifestyles and "clean eating" is all the rage in the diet industry these days so it gets lots of hits, so they think, "hmm...this sounds good...I'm going to try clean eating." And then they join MFP and come to the forums to talk about it. Cut them some slack! They're trying to improve their health and stuff! They don't know that the topic has been beaten to death!

That is all...have a nice day. :smile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    That's why I wish people would drop the annoying "clean eating" term and just say what they mean.

If the term causes you so much discomfort, then why not just skip the thread entirely? After all, the subject was "Clean Eating" -- you didn't get suckered into reading it under false pretenses. As for what constitutes "processed", if somebody is going to agonize at the grocery store over the difference between Spaghetti-Os and organic almond butter because they both come in packages, then a different approach to diet is probably the best course.
    I managed to get fat while disliking most of the processed foods you seem to be referring to.

You must be under the impression that I said people can only get fat eating processed foods. I didn't. You can get fat eating anything, and you can lose weight eating anything.

:drinker: :love:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Answered.

But my related question--if you don't actually think foods you have declared off-limits are unclean and don't, in fact, actually avoid them (processed, added sugar, whatever) with any more regularity than the average non-clean eater in these parts, why call yourself a clean eater? What's the point, or what are you trying to convey?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am on the same journey! The biggest thing I have learned is to READ LABELS! Try to avoid added sugar and salt (Use raw, natural honey) and skip it if there are ingredients that you don't know what they are. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store as much as possible, fresh meat, veggies, dairy, fruit. I have only been doing this for 6 weeks and it has made a HUGE change! Congrats on beginning the journey!

I just ate this. Will I be okay? I don't know what some of this stuff is.
    123456789.jpg
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

I'm excited for you!!! You'll find very supportive people on MFP, read the comments on this thread and choose your friends accordingly. All my friends are the bomb. Don't get discouraged. I knew exactly what you meant and GULP I learned you don't say clean about foods today ..... no sir!!! LMBO
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    Options

123456789.jpg
    Occasionally I eat this kind of junk and then I feel horrible, not guilty, horrible. I agree shopping the perimeter of the grocery store works best for me also, meats, veggies dairiy, and fruit that's what I eat for the most part.
  • Hornsby
    Options

123456789.jpg
    Occasionally I eat this kind of junk and then I feel horrible, not guilty, horrible. I agree shopping the perimeter of the grocery store works best for me also, meats, veggies dairiy, and fruit that's what I eat for the most part.

That "junk" is the ingredients list of an all natural, organic blueberry....just sayin'.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Answered.

But my related question--if you don't actually think foods you have declared off-limits are unclean and don't, in fact, actually avoid them (processed, added sugar, whatever) with any more regularity than the average non-clean eater in these parts, why call yourself a clean eater? What's the point, or what are you trying to convey?

"unclean" or "dirty" food is a term that was made up by people who do not like the term "clean eating". I have never heard it uttered by a person outside of these forums. In my book, no food is unclean or dirty, it just may not fall under clean eating just as some foods do not fall under paleo or vegetarian or vegan or *insert diet of choice*. If that is your perception, then that is not my problem. Clean eating is a term coined to describe a movement started back in the 60s for people to get away from chemically altered (by man) or doctored up food and get "back to nature" or "back to basics" Its not a diet. You don't have to like or agree with it, that's the beauty of freedom of choice. And yes, much with everything else in the world, the term has been used by more and more people and not always correctly and it's open to interpretation, much like everything else on the planet. I don't think food has to be organic in order to be considered clean, some people do. To each their own. I think half of what some people eat is disgusting and counter productive to what this site is about, but i'm not going to drag them through the mud to prove my point. You object to the phrase "clean eating". You've made your statement and you've voiced your opinion. Good for you.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

123456789.jpg

Seriously.. If it's an apple or pineapple or berry or something (which knowing these forums it likely is) then it's fine.. You're not obtuse enough to not understand the person is referring to chemicals that are added by man.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    Options

123456789.jpg

That "junk" is the ingredients list of an all natural, organic blueberry....just sayin'.
  • Hornsby
    Options

123456789.jpg

Seriously.. If it's an apple or pineapple or berry or something (which knowing these forums it likely is) then it's fine.. You're not obtuse enough to not understand the person is referring to chemicals that are added by man.

She said "ingredients that she doesn't know what they are". I am just pointing out that that is a silly way of looking at things since I am guessing she doesn't know what all the ingredients I listed are (neither do I).
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    Options

I just ate this. Will I be okay? I don't know what some of this stuff is. Of course you'll be okay if you eat blueberries, when I get
    123456789.jpg

That "junk" is the ingredients list of an all natural, organic blueberry....just sayin'. I'm sorry I've never seen labels like that on blueberries when I buy blueberries it just says blueberries, or watermelon, apples, oranges, No I probably wouldn't eat it if I saw a label like that. Last night I had some chips and dip, something I don't normally do.But I ate very little of it. But when I eat a lot sugar it's like eating junk to me it makes me feel like crap. Not saying you shouldn't or anyone else should eat how or what I eat I just don't think it has to be such a debate. I in no way meant to offend anyone by calling some foods junk.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I think half of what some people eat is disgusting and counter productive to what this site is about, but i'm not going to drag them through the mud to prove my point. You object to the phrase "clean eating". You've made your statement and you've voiced your opinion. Good for you.

See I have agreed with some of the things you have said - we seem to agree on what is IMO the most important thing: personal preference.

But now we see why people get annoyed at the clean eating clique. Disgust is a rather strong word IMO. Not only disgust - but you are disgusted by HALF of what some of us eat. You say you don't consider any food "unclean" or "dirty" but you find it "disgusting". Weird.

Counter productive in what sense? Considering that no single food in isolation (and moderation) can damage your health, or cause nutrient deficiencies, and eating ANY food in excess calories can cause weight gain - what is counter productive about the "disgusting" food we eat??
  • jenecampbell
    Options
    Go you! Clean eating is awesome. If you want support and to know how to do it right message me!
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It is related to the absurd claim by many "clean eaters" that eating clean is more significant than calories or essential to losing weight or that Americans are fat because we all eat hidden sugar in Lunchables or the like. Nonsense. People are fat because they eat more than they burn. They should know what they are eating and if they don't that's on them, but eating clean is not some magic pill that prevents obesity. Yet the way a lot of clean eaters talk you'd think that Lean Cuisines (which I don't like, but work for some) are enormously fattening, while a homemade roasted chicken with potatoes can't make you fat.

Well, except for all the clean eaters who hate "white foods" and would blame the potatoes despite the fact that they are much more fattening when cooked in chicken fat from the supposedly clean (maybe? depends who you ask) chicken. Or perhaps the answer is to eschew the whole chicken and eat the much more processed skinless, boneless breasts! (Certainly not my answer, for the record, some things are worth additional calories.)

(Someone upthread said that clean eaters use herbs and spices--nice to know that's been co-opted and is no longer simply normal cooking--unlike processed foods that use salt and fat. I'm pretty sure gourmet cooking involves plenty of salt and butter in the cooking process too, but somehow that's now just icky processed stuff.)

Wow - those clean eaters sure sound like an uptight, overly-judgmental group of folks. They probably just need to learn to relax, and not take everything so personally...