Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Sorry if there are members here who are offended by the term "clean eating". I obviously did not coin this term. Nor do I think anyone eats "dirty".

I'm not offended.

Here's a requisite primer on weight loss no matter what kind of food you are eating or what one calls it:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I kicked off my weight loss by doing the clean eating. It really helped me make the initial change from eating out 85% of the time. I did it for about a month and enjoyed it, but I slowly started to add some of my fav's back into my diet. The difference is now I really can just eat a cup of ice cream instead of a whole pint. If your like me and need a major shift to get you started then go for it. The one thing that I have really enjoyed about eating clean is how great I feel and how much I can eat without going over with my daily calories. Good Luck!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

Negavite? We're giving yo advice so you dont fall off the wagon. You are just not open minded at all. Good luck with that back....Im still thinking you're not gonna make it if you start off like this.
  • misskelly427
    misskelly427 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the term clean eating is based on a diet of lean meats. Fish. Whole grains. Fruits. Veggies. Sticking mainly to the perimeter of the grocery store. Foods as close to their natural state as they can be. Staying away from foods that are man made and packaged. And so on.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Sorry if there are members here who are offended by the term "clean eating". I obviously did not coin this term. Nor do I think anyone eats "dirty".

There is no need to bear the heavy cross of clean eating just yet. Give it a couple months first. :wink:
  • misskelly427
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

Negavite? We're giving yo advice so you dont fall off the wagon. You are just not open minded at all. Good luck with that back....Im still thinking you're not gonna make it if you start off like this.

Wait. How is this NOT negative?
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started this thread because I heard that this was a supportive place. I guess when you are about to embark on a new journey you hope there is a place to go to make it a little easier and a little better.

Being in a good mental health also contributes towards meeting your goals.
    Dont care a sh-it for shi-tty things. Ignore the negative and move on.

===

Sticking to the point, I agree with Calorie In = Calorie Out. This might be fine from short term weight management goal.
    If you think of long term health (Not just weight), eating processed food, full of preservatives and chemicals might invite other problems.

500 calories from fruits and veggies are always better than any junk fast food or frozen food.
    What I do is eat what I like, home cooked, low carb accompanied by lots of salads,fruits and nuts.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck
  • iPlatano
    Options

And you don't know me.

We're telling you to gradually stop your bad eating, not to change everything in one second. This is not how it works. Remember that if this is going to be a new lifestyle for you, maybe its something you're going to be able to stick with for a month or two. If you are going to change the way you eat COMPLETELY for your entire life, I dont think its something you can stick to unless you dont have a life outside your house.

Good luck.
  • misskelly427
    Options

And you don't know me.

We're telling you to gradually stop your bad eating, not to change everything in one second. This is not how it works. Remember that if this is going to be a new lifestyle for you, maybe its something you're going to be able to stick with for a month or two. If you are going to change the way you eat COMPLETELY for your entire life, I dont think its something you can stick to unless you dont have a life outside your house.

Good luck.

Don't you dare send me a friend request! I won't accept it! LOL
  • iPlatano
    Options

And you don't know me.

Good luck.

I wont. I would have sent you one If I wanted you on my friend list long time. You dont even have a profile pic and that's a big no no anyways :laugh:
  • Thezestiest
    Thezestiest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I recommend learning how to cook more of your food and eating less processed food in general. That doesn't mean you have to give up all the foods you love, but learn to cook for yourself so you know what's in your food. If you buy a lot of different produce and the basics to stock your pantry (oil, grains, beans, spices) you will be doing yourself a real favor over time.

Even foods like granola -- you'd be surprised how easy it is to make this yourself. Or salad dressing -- I haven't bought bottled salad dressing in years. You can make your own fresh dressing in barely any time at all, and it won't have preservatives in it. Don't buy packaged cupcakes -- bake your own. And give away some of them to your friends and neighbors, so you don't eat more than you wanted :)

Also try to buy better quality meat, but less of it. Make it the smallest portion of your dinner, and up the size of the veggie portions.

For the record, I cook a lot and my family eats quite well, but it wasn't until I started using this site that I realized I need to be more aware of portion sizes, and the act of recording what I eat in a day has helped with my awareness. I'm using a metal cup measure to dole out my servings of rice, etc. so that I learn how much I'm actually eating. I also got a digital kitchen scale, for the same reason. You don't have to go overboard, but it is helpful initially to learn what the intended portion size is. It has been an eye-opener for me.

Good luck!

^^^ THIS.
  • GlennTipton
    GlennTipton Posts: 19
    Options
    Go for it Kelly! Your body is telling you and you're listening. That's fantastic!

Aim high. Changing your entire diet is exactly how it should be. You should be angry at yourself and all the terrible food being marketed to you. Anger is a great motivator.

The best advice I can offer is..
    -Look into Paleo. It's based on evolution and what our bodies are designed to eat (which doesn't include a single whole grain!).
    -MFP will suggest your calories and each macro goal. These are entirely customisable and should be changed based on the values you find through your clean eating/Paleo research.
    -Don't worry about failing! Tomorrow is another chance to get it right. If you fail today, just write it off and start again tomorrow.
    -START! Don't wait to get everything right first. You are going to need to learn this the hard way so just jump in head first.
    -These forums are a place for people to bash each other. Try not to get pulled into the fight.

I wish you all the very best. :)

Glenn.
  • misskelly427
    Options

And you don't know me.

Good luck.

I wont. I would have sent you one If I wanted you on my friend list long time. You dont even have a profile pic and that's a big no no anyways :laugh:

:laugh:
  • misskelly427
    Options
    Go for it Kelly! Your body is telling you and you're listening. That's fantastic!

Aim high. Changing your entire diet is exactly how it should be. You should be angry at yourself and all the terrible food being marketed to you. Anger is a great motivator.

-Look into Paleo. It's based on evolution and what our bodies are designed to eat (which doesn't include a single whole grain!).
    -MFP will suggest your calories and each macro goal. These are entirely customisable and should be changed based on the values you find through your clean eating/Paleo research.
    -Don't worry about failing! Tomorrow is another chance to get it right. If you fail today, just write it off and start again tomorrow.
    -START! Don't wait to get everything right first. You are going to need to learn this the hard way so just jump in head first.
    -These forums are a place for people to bash each other. Try not to get pulled into the fight.

Glenn.
    Thank you!
    I will not use the term "clean eating" here again. Lesson learned :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It's a great place to get support if you're willing to be objective. Not everyone is going to agree with approaches (vegan, Paleo, clean eating, low carb, low sugar, etc), so you'll hear objections to your approach. It's not about just being "rah, rah" and "you go girl". You'll get a lot of good insight from people who are well versed in nutrition and exercise with evidence supported from peer reviewed study. Good support means not only help and backing, but correct information so you don't waste your money or time.

This. The "mean" and "negative" people tend to be the ones you will learn the most from. They're really not either, they just don't sugar coat things.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Glenn.
    Thank you!
    I will not use the term "clean eating" here again. Lesson learned :)

Think logically for a second. Even if it wasn't your intention, when you're using terms like "clean eating" you're implying that there is such a thing as "dirty eating." So it shouldn't be surprising that the term will ruffle some feathers.
  • spinneyhex
    spinneyhex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat unprocessed "clean" about 80 percent of the time and also have occasional treats. It's working well for me. The main part of my weightloss is the exersise I'm taking. Good luck to you :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the skydiving too. But it could speak to a higher than average willingness to participate in higher risk activities. Although the skydivers I know would tell you that the risk of dying on the way to the dropzone is higher than jumping.

OP, people here are highly opinionated and thick skinned. It takes a bit to truly ruffle their tail feathers :laugh:
    Maybe negative wasn't the right word, but I guess I was anticipating posts from other members who believed in this type of diet. Essentially I am just trying to get healthy like everyone here is trying to do. Thank you all for your opinions. I know changing your diet is hard, and also that lots of people fail, but life is better when you find people to share your journey with.
    Food is just one part of becoming healthy. Here are some of the others that directly affect health:

Being very overweight/obese
    Lack of exercise
    High stress
    Lack of sleep/rest
    Genetics
    Risk behavior (drugs, sky diving, etc.)
    Environmental risk (air, noise)
    Mental issues

Eating right is just a portion of good health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Eating right is only a portion of it, but it can dictate so much of the rest of that list..

For what it's worth.. when I stay away from a lot of processed/sugared up foods. It alleviates most of those.. obviously not environmental, but I sleep better, feel less stressed, have more energy, feel like exercising and do so more, and I lose weight quicker and easier. Reducing stress and increasing sleep also helps with "mental issues" to an extent. Those are my results. Yea I know n=1 "studies" are dismissed on these forums.. but the only results I care about are the ones that help me, so those results matter to me.

(Of course I realize that if I am losing weight quicker and easier I am eating less, but that doesn't happen when I do not eat clean foods)

I am wondering what sky diving has to do with health though.. perhaps inherent stress due to risk factor??
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

It's the opinion and advice of someone experienced - not someone telling you to get fat and unhealthy, but someone telling you how to do the exact opposite of it. Sugarcoating things isn't the best strategy sometimes.
  • prawny1967
    prawny1967 Posts: 17
    Options

Sorry to hear that you think the posts are negative. I have just read through this thread and I think people are trying to be supportive and kind by telling you that you may find this one giant leap too far and then will fall off the healthier lifestyle bandwagon altogether as it is very difficult to maintain a huge change.

You have made a positive decision but be aware that having the occasional processed item that you love is not going to ruin your healthy journey as long as you are always in control and you log everything,