I hate vegetables...

Options
13»

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    People always tell me that the reason I don't like vegetables is that I'm not cooking them right. Well, not, it's because I really do hate them. I once had a cucumber and about threw up.

Vegetables really are good for you in that they have a lot of fiber, and not a lot of sugar.

My favorite has become green beans. The way I like them best is to rinse them off and put them in a pressure cooker with about a cup or two of water. Add some diced onion. My mother used to add a piece of bacon, but now we either put a piece of country ham or even beef boullion in it just for flavoring.....bring it up to "pressure" for about 10 minutes, and let cool down some enough to open the pot.

I do NOT like cooked spinach, however, I do like it raw either in a salad mixed in with lettuce or in place of lettuce on a sandwich.

Tomatoes are good - or tomato sauce - depending on how you make it.

Not a big fan of Broccoli unless it's in my version of Broccoli casserole. I take broccoli florets and put a bunch of them in a casserole dish - enough that you there's an inch or so up the sides, and dense enough that it's hard to see through them, Doesn't matter if it's fresh or frozen. I then put a damp paper towel over it and put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes (a little longer if they're frozen). Then I take an 8 oz brick of Mexican velveeta, cube it up, and dot the casserole with it. Take a sleeve of townhouse crackers (ritz will do in a pinch) and crumble them over the top. Then drizzle about 1/2 stick of butter over the top. Put that in the oven for probably 10-20 minutes, ish -- I put it in there for long enough for the cheese to get real melty.

I usually like onions and green peppers on pizza.

I've gotten the sesame chicken at PF Chang's, and it has some roasted peppers in it and diced onions....really yummy. I also like peapods in Chinese food. Mongolian beef has green onions in it, and it's good.

Just a few things I do to try to work in some veggies. Granted, it's not going to get me my 5-7 servings, but it's better than nothing!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Get a dehydrator. Dehydrate things like zuchinni squash and spinach.then grind in your coffee grinder until a dust. Use a few teaspoons in all your casseroles, sauces and smoothies.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being open to trying them! I've never been a huge fan of veggies either and for me it's mostly about texture. Growing up we either had lovely raw veggies or overcooked mushy home canned veggies. As you may be able to guess by the way I worded that, I always looked forward to the raw veggie season.

I agree with the suggestion to not only try new veggies but try new methods of cooking them. Frozen is ok but don't bother with canned - they all taste the same IMHO. Go with fresh a much as you can so you have more control over how they're cooked. Also add herbs and spices to help with the flavor.

Like the suggestion for smoothies, you can do the same thing for sauces, stews and soups. Cook up the veggies then puree them and pour them in, simple as that! For examples - Hubby doesn't like the texture of beans so when I make chili, I add them pureed. You still get the taste and nutrients but avoid the texture.

Good luck!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    With me, it's a texture thing. I love raw green peppers but hate them cooked. As far as I am concerned, the taste completely changes. Also, I love raw tomatoes, and tomato sauces and soup. However, I HATE tomato juice and won't eat cooked (like stewed) tomatoes. I hate plain brocolli but will eat it in stir-frys and in some stews. The point I am trying to make is, find ways to disguise the taste. I have a real problem with strong flavored foods(cheddar cheese, liver, kiwi, the before mentioned brocolli, mustard and so forth). Add these foods to other foods and I cannot tell the difference and get the benefits.
    Some of it may be psychological. I remember the time my daughter, who swears she hates mayonaise, was given a salad by my mother-in-law. My daughter was told that the salad had vinegar, egg whites and seasonings(in other words, mayonaise)on it. She ate it all.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of an adult who didn't like vegetables. How can it be all vegetables?
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I used to hate vegetables too, and my parents also let me get away with it. I started out by adding them into my foods to hide them more, if you like chili, add in peppers & onions! Making soup? Add in a few bunches of kale and a few other chopped up vegetables, you can't really taste them, but they are there.

I also learned how to cook them better, which I know a lot of others have mentioned. Growing up vegetables were pretty much all over boiled, that is gross. BUT roasted and sauted veggies have a much different and better taste and texture. Also try stir fried vegetables, amazing!

I've come so far from my vegetable hating past that I'm in a CSA this year (a farm share with vegetables delivered to me every week!). It can be done, best of luck!
  • Shanahoo
    Shanahoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I truly think that vegetables are an acquired taste - I don't love them either, but am slowly finding some that I can tolerate. I think the way they are prepared makes all the difference in the world.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. The first time I tried to eat steamed broccoli I barely coughed 2 florets down in between giant gulps of water. But I kept making myself choke it down and little by little, it wasn't so bad (I mean, like, over the course of months). Now it is my go-to vegetable.

Here are some ideas that might be difficult to do while calorie counting, might help you get in the door with vegetables:

1. Chinese food. This is how I started. Get something saucy/spicy like a Beef and Broccoli/Hunan chicken and just take a bite of meat with every vegetable. You can transition into making your own healthier stir-fries.

2. Broccoli with cheese sauce. Every time you make it, reduce the cheese sauce until you get used to the taste of broccoli. This is how a lot of parents introduce it to their kids.

3. For me, sweeter vegetables were never a problem (green ones all taste like grass). Onions are basically a fruit when you cook them. Red and Yellow bell peppers, too. I always loved fajitas-- start with mostly meat and add more onions and peppers each time. Add some toppings-- cheese/sour cream/guac/salsa.

4. A lot of vegetables taste more mild raw than cooked-- salads can be your friend!

5. Ragu chunky Tomato, Onion & Garlic is 2 servings of veggies in every half-cup of sauce. Make those spaghetti nights work for you!

6. As a lot of people have said, learning how to COOK veggies properly really makes a difference. I cannot eat canned/frozen veggies. Too mushy and blah. But once I started using fresh veggies, it got a lot easier.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Lol, this reminds me of the time I tried raw broccoli for the first time in kindergarten and I threw up all over!

I love vegetables, raw, steamed, boil em mash em stick em in a stew - I even love cooked broccoli and cauliflower, always have. But I can't ever bring myself to touch raw broccoli or cauliflower. I think it's the texture, just can't stand it. Also, if you try to disguise even one leaf of spinach in my fruit smoothie, EWWW I hate you, you ruined my smoothie. But I'll gladly eat it in a salad, or cooked, or in a sandwich!

Point is, everyone is different and there are so many different ways to eat the myriads of vegetables that are out there... make an effort, try to discover the ways you do like certain vegetables. They are so good for you!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I was at a graduation party recently and somebody brought this dessert that was made of zucchini and almonds but tasted like apple pie. It was amazing and disappeared more quickly than anything else at the potluck.

I'm not sure how many calories were in it, or how it was sweetened, so I can't vouch for how healthy it was overall but there wasn't a single person who tried it who could tell it was zucchini.

I wish I had the recipe to just give you that, but I don't - I just wanted to throw it out there as an example of creative usages of vegetables that you might want to explore. It doesn't have to taste like a vegetable.

I think there's a whole market of cookbooks for moms with picky kids written about this very issue - "sneaking" veggies into things. Maybe you can look at some of the cooking for kidlets type cookbooks next time you're out at a bookstore and see if there are any ideas for you.
  • GeorgieGuitar
    Options
    I used to hate them too, but roasting stuff like parsnips and other veggies that go sweet and caramalised set me on the right track! Sweet potatoes are my absolute personal favourite - I've been told they're much better for you to eat than regular white potatoes every once in a while and they are absolutely delicious! Not too sure how much you'd count then as your typical vegetable but they do count as one of your five a day according to the NHS system :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Garlic salt and olive oil fix everything
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't like vegetables either. It's a taste AND texture thing for me. I've tried so many different vegetables prepared so many different ways - and wasted a lot of money doing so - with no results. Now I stick a huge handful of spinach leaves in my daily protein shake. I can also handle cooked broccoli with butter and salt every so often. I have to be in a special mood for green beans. This week I snuck some frozen sweet peas into my chicken "fried" rice lunch recipe, which turned out fine. I also take a multivitamin in an attempt to "make up" for my crappy vegetable intake. I prefer fruit, for sure.

I haven't had a single problem losing weight, even with hardly any vegetables. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. What's so great about vegetables is that they're low in calories, so you can eat a lot of them without breaking the calorie bank, so to speak. If you're not hungry without them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd be a hypocrite if I told you otherwise. I really wish I liked vegetables, I WANT to like them...I just don't.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetables regularly, but maybe try them prepared differently? In stirfry or tempura batter can be really good.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    you've tried every single vegetable known to man, and hate them all? really?
    Ahhh you caught me. No I haven't tried them all, but I can truly say I've tried many of them. And am open to trying those I haven't yet. But from previous experience I don't like them. Besides corn as I mentioned before

I thought corn was a grain?