Anyone Lost A Lot of Weight While Eating Sugar Every Day

Options
My nutritionist told me that I hit a weight loss plateau because I was eating sugar every day. The CDC says that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you meet your caloric goal. Has anyone lost a lot of weight while eating sugar every day? I'm not talking about the sugar in fruit, but in other foods and drinks. Thanks so much.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Maybe your nutritionist means you are eating over your calories because of the sugar? Or are you insulin resistant perhaps?
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    WTH...the nutritionist said this? I would go with the CDC, most of my friends list follow iifym and eat plenty of real sugar, many lost over 100 lbs and are maintaining great sugar and all. Sugar is an empty calorie, the only way it would make you plateau was if you logged coffee with 2 sugars as just coffee for 2 calories when it has about 30....then drank a ton of coffee.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1294677--eat-all-the-sweets-a-30-day-tale-of-love-happiness

Skim through this thread and look at the tickers. Short answer: Yes.
  • fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    She actually told me that sugar causes inflamation and holds on to fat. I've been right at or under my calorie limit every day.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Thanks so much. I guess I can ignore her and start eating real food again.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it now.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth and eat sweets pretty much daily.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I eat some candy a regular basis. I also pay attention to my calorie totals daily. Have lost ~30 pounds since Christmas '13.

Sometimes you need to check the qualifications of a 'nutritionist'. Some mean well but are mis-informed. There are fad-type theories that float around. Never heard of sugar holding onto fat - as to the inflammation, I don't know.

As to your plateau - how long has it been, what's your calorie intake daily, do you log/track every bite, drink, etc.? And do you weigh your food using a digital food scale? How do you determine your calorie burn? (HRM, MFP, other?) What's your goal deficit?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that I hit a weight loss plateau because I was eating sugar every day. The CDC says that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you meet your caloric goal. Has anyone lost a lot of weight while eating sugar every day? I'm not talking about the sugar in fruit, but in other foods and drinks. Thanks so much.

Who doesn't eat sugar everyday?
  • fatasfack
    Options
    That was an awesome thread! Thank you so much for sharing that.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    And you have lost 111 lbs, wow! Well done sir!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In moderation yes.

I don't chug soda by the 2 liter or eat a dozen cookies in one sitting, but if I want an Oreo or two once in a while, I fit it in.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had ice cream and/or chocolate several times a week and was regularly drinking a can of soda a day until early April, and I've lost.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    weigh your food using a digital food scale? How do you determine your calorie burn? (HRM, MFP, other?) What's your goal deficit?

I hadn't been losing for a couple weeks despite being between 1300 and 1500 calories per day. I log everything I put in my mouth and only eat things that have labels and I make sure that I know the weight of everything. I determine my calorie burn by the number on the treadmill. I exercise for 35 to 40 minutes 6 times a week. I just started losing again after cutting out sugar and now I was concerned that my nutritionist was right, but it seems to be a coincidence based on the feedback I'm seeing on the board. I hit a plateau after losing 25 lbs, and maybe that's normal, but I'm not sure.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Awesome and congrats on your weight loss!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I eat cookies, gelato, cake, chocolate, etc. every day and lose weight consistently.

Are you using a food scale to weigh out everything you're eating? If you're right at your calorie goal every day and still not losing weight, you may be underestimating quantities and eating more than you think.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Consensus says, I can eat whatever I want as long as I keep my calories under my limit. Thank you.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Me :smokin:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Consensus says, I can eat whatever I want as long as I keep my calories under my limit. Thank you.

Yup. The reason I think most people are down on sugar is that sugar tends to be not very satiating for its calories. As a result if you eat lots of refined sugars it can be difficult to feel satisfied at your calorie limit and you will feel pressure to eat more.

If you are hitting your calorie goal and not having issues with hunger I see no reason to change your sugar intake.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    1300-1500 calories a day for a guy?! Man, I'd keel over if I ate that little. Do you have MFP set to lose 2 lbs per week? Unless you have a very large amount of weight to lose, you could reevaluate your goal to lose less per week but in exchange, get to eat more! :drinker: