Anyone Lost A Lot of Weight While Eating Sugar Every Day

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I was over my sugar "limit" every day for 11 months...never felt better :)
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    She actually told me that sugar causes inflamation and holds on to fat.

There's some truth to that. But some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Why don't you try cutting back for a couple weeks and see if it helps? If it doesn't, go back to what you're doing. If it does, decide if it's worth it.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the fad of the day

I don't even track sugar - never have, never will

:flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the fad of the day

I don't even track sugar - never have, never will

:flowerforyou:

Yeah I noticed that part of the macro breakdown on MFP is "Sugar" and I was wondering WTF is that for?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    then you should eat it sparingly
    Why?

Your first two studies didn't provide any citations.

The last, from what I can see, jumped on a load of correlations as reasons to do things (and the links I clicked on didn't work anyway).
    Well, gee - soldiers that smoke are significantly fitter and healthier than the average member of the public that doesn't smoke, so there's a correlation there so we should all join the army and smoke?
    Highly processed food is unhealthy if eaten in significant quantities.
    Citation please
    They should be limited and more natural and whole foods should be the main staple of your diet.
    What makes a food 'natural'? Why does this make it good?

Best bet, I'd say, is to make sure you're generally fit and healthy:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    She actually told me that sugar causes inflamation and holds on to fat. I've been right at or under my calorie limit every day.

Complete nonsense.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    It could be the type of sugar. I find that I lose if I eat natural sugars and have refined sugars very sparingly. I can eat 100 calories of grapes every day and lose, but eat 50 calories of chocolate every day and plateau.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Anything can be unhealthy if eaten in 'significant quantities' depending of course on the definition of significant. Though in general if you eat an excessive amount of one item (fat, sugar, protein) then you're likely not getting enough of others.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat sugar everyday. Also, IMO, your deficit is way to aggressive. Here's a really great starting place:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Best of luck!!
  • MzFyreKitty
    MzFyreKitty Posts: 93
    Options
    you can eat sugar if you want but obviously it isn't nutritionally good for you and has little to no nutritional value depending on the type of sugar you are consuming. I'm a sugar addict so I totally cut it out and it helped me get past a plateau that I never thought I would get past. When I was eating (and this is me, not applying it to everyone)table sugar /sweets (even the artificially sweetened type), I would be hungry ALL the time, I would think about sweets 90% of the time. Since I have given them up, I am not hungry all the time and I don't think of them hardly ever...

Even diets like Nutrisystem and WW will let you have sweets if you don't go over your dietary goals due to them...

PS: when I was stupid and in HS, my crazy Mother incouraged me to go on a FASTING diet and the Doctor even said it was fine if I took a daily multivitamin/mineral and drank plenty of fluids. I was also addicted to coca colas so that is ALL that I drank for 2 months and I was VERY active (walking miles every day, exercising, weight lifting, riding a stationary bike, playing tennis on our court, swimming EVERY day (my favorite sport), etc, etc. I lost almost 80 lbs... so obviously you can consume sugar and lose loads of weight. I would never recommend anyone do anything as stupid as this but that was in the late 70's and my Mom was a NUT to encourage this and I was stupid to let her do it
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* :bigsmile:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    She actually told me that sugar causes inflamation and holds on to fat. I've been right at or under my calorie limit every day.

Sugar does not " cause " inflammation and also does not " hold onto " fat. Sugar however can contribute in the increase of inflammatory processes in the body in people who have autoimmune diseases. I have RA since I was young and full blown Lupus since 2011 and avoid added sugar and limit very sweet fruit ( which in a tropical country is almost all ) and my hands, face and feet are less swollen. I am however not under the illusion that sugar caused my illness, or caused my over weight The cause for autoimmune diseases and inflammation ( unless it is due to trauma as in sports accidents, or in repetitive movements as in CTS ) is largely unknown and my overweight is mostly from eating beyond my calorie requirement.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Does she actually have any qualifications in anything? I don't mean some dodgy internet qualification I mean from a reputable place? I'd find someone who has a clue because I'm afraid she hasn't
    Is she referring to the new research that seems to suggest a connection between type 2 diabetes (insulin) and inflammation in the body? There isn't much evidence on it yet.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know I consume something with sugar in it every day. it's a bit hard to avoid all sugars.
    Once a week i take a fun type class and there is always snacks. I allow myself to have whatever snack i want there even if it's peanut butter cups or cookies or both. yeah usually both. I work it in for the day if I can.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have lost over 100 pounds so far. I eat SMALL PORTIONS (meticulously measured) of nutella, ice cream, or cookies almost every day, and frequently wrap my day up with a square or two of chocolate or a caramel block or similar. MFP says my average sugar intake (obviously INCLUDING the sugars naturally found in fruit and dairy etc.) to be about 75 g daily.

The key is calorie restriction, not specific nutrient restriction, unless you have been medically diagnosed as insulin resistant, and even that (I think) is more a matter of putting on fat more easily when calories are close to maintenance or above it than about resisting fat loss at a true deficit.

Nine times out of ten when someone has hit a "plateau" it really means they may not be logging accurately and as a result are miscalculating their achieved deficit:

1. Weigh your food if it is not pre-weighed in the packaging
    2. Log EVERYTHING you eat.
    3. Be skeptical of calorie burn estimates if you eat exercise calories. I have a Fitbit and I still have to reduce the exercise calorie burn estimate by about half to get an accurate read on my daily burn according to my results.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

Eh, is she a NUTRITIONIST or a DIETICIAN? In the U.S., those are pretty different things and only one of them is a meaningful qualification. The other is full of practitioners who often subscribe to a lot of pseudoscience and anecdotal nonsense.
  • I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If your at a true stall in weight loss it can hurt to try cutting out or reducing the amount of sugar... Sometimes simple changes is enough to get the body back to moving...

having said that so far I haven't cut it out, most of the sugar I consume comes from my soda addiction.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat added sugar every day. Nom. Doing just fine.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have never given thought to sugar and never go out of my way to avoid it either.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Treadmills over estimate, many only eat back 50% or try the TDEE method, so that exercise is already figured in. over estimating exercise calories can cut your deficient.

I hope the OP didn't miss this. In the midst of the comments about sugar consumption, It's likely the most important comment, in my opinion, as to why he plateaued. It doesn't make any difference whether you eat sugar or not, but if you over estimate your exercise calories, as almost all charts and machines computers do, you're not getting accurate figures to work with.