Anyone Lost A Lot of Weight While Eating Sugar Every Day

Options

Replies

• KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i have never watched my sugar intake and clearly have lost...
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    weigh your food using a digital food scale? How do you determine your calorie burn? (HRM, MFP, other?) What's your goal deficit?

I hadn't been losing for a couple weeks despite being between 1300 and 1500 calories per day. I log everything I put in my mouth and only eat things that have labels and I make sure that I know the weight of everything. I determine my calorie burn by the number on the treadmill. I exercise for 35 to 40 minutes 6 times a week. I just started losing again after cutting out sugar and now I was concerned that my nutritionist was right, but it seems to be a coincidence based on the feedback I'm seeing on the board. I hit a plateau after losing 25 lbs, and maybe that's normal, but I'm not sure.

Treadmills over estimate, many only eat back 50% or try the TDEE method, so that exercise is already figured in. over estimating exercise calories can cut your deficient. Weighing food in grams just allows you to be more accurate in your logging, many people over estimate intake and portion size. Once you lose some you are working with a smaller gap between what you are netting and what you burn (just living) a day, so accuracy can make a huge difference.

Yes, digital food scale and cups are only for liquid.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    hmmm...

Does real sugar in my coffee, real fruit in my cottage cheese, apples, bananas, other fruit for snacks and occasional (2-3x/wk) ice cream and/or cookies count? If so, yes. I have lost 48lbs eating all the sugar.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Consensus says, I can eat whatever I want as long as I keep my calories under my limit. Thank you.

If weight loss is your only goal, that's true. But if you also are eating for health, you'll need to look at more than just total calories. Nutritents are important.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar every day. Some of it is even the bad-for-you, white, refined stuff in cups of tea every single day.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I've lost a reasonable amount of weight, and I eat a small amount of refined sugar (in various forms) every day (feel free to look at my diary). OTOH, one of my major dietary changes was cutting out most sugared sodas and large quantities of candy, and making sure most of my calorie intake was more than just empty calories. Unless you have some sort of medical issue, the key is moderation.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is your only goal, that's true. But if you also are eating for health, you'll need to look at more than just total calories. Nutritents are important.
    Indeed - that's why, during my weight loss I would often eat plenty of simple carbs, such as sugar - to assist in improving my health.

2lb/week average for 20 weeks recently. I did actually stall a few pounds before my goal, but then my body composition was, if anything, a little better than I was expecting - so I wasn't too bothered :).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a single day I've been under my recommended sugar limit. A lot of that sugar came from chocolate. Or ice cream. Or Oreos. Or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Also: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I eat sweets every single day. Some days I have a Devil Dog, some days I have processed sugar on my cereal, and some days it's cookies, brownies, and/or ice cream. I also make sure I have a calorie deficit every day.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar... it's not that important (unless it is... medically speaking).

I eat chocolate everyday! Ice cream most days and other sweet stuff whenever, lost 47 so far.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Uh, ya 53 lbs and went from 31%+ BF to 17% eating 100g+ sugar. If you're getting proper nutrition, there's nothing inherently wrong with sugar, medical conditions aside
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    She actually told me that sugar causes inflamation and holds on to fat. I've been right at or under my calorie limit every day.
    Does she actually have any qualifications in anything? I don't mean some dodgy internet qualification I mean from a reputable place? I'd find someone who has a clue because I'm afraid she hasn't
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Well I've lost a little weight... and eat at least 1 dessert daily... sometimes more. Today is a brownie and ice cream.

But why are you eating 1300-1500 calories??? I'm losing at a nice pace eating 1600-1900
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    If you are at a plateau, and it lasts for a while, try zig zagging. Eat more than you need for a day or two and then jump back to your recommended caloric. It always worked for me. I did not change my diet, just my portions. Have been on maintenance since Aug 2011.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I am on a slight surplus (around 250 calories), but - carbs eaten today 657g of that, sugar at least 338g.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I started doing better losing weight when I removed the sugar and sodium from my tracking. Not seeing those red number in my face everyday was good for the mindset. I replaced them with Fiber and Calcium - a couple things that actually matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19079865

This is a study on on sugar(s) intake and micronutrient adequacy - Their conclusion (a meta-analysis of 48 studies) was that poor nutrient intake wasn't prevalent until sugar intake rose ABOVE 20% of your caloric goals (much higher than most recommendations you will see). Also, interestingly, diets that contain LESS than 5% of their calories from sugar were also associated with poor nutrient intake (aka the freaks who say fruit is bad for you).

*full study isn't at that link but you can find the PDF if you search online
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar and I dropped carbs as well and track iron and fiber instead. The 125+ pounds I've lost is evidence enough that sugar doesn't matter. In fact, I often need to add sugar due to my blood sugar dropping too low.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Find a new nutritionist :-) she's wrong.

(eating a cupcake while typing in my size 4 jeans ;-) I eat sugar daily.
  • rachaelhectus
    Options
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/What-you-eat-can-fuel-or-cool-inflammation-a-key-driver-of-heart-disease-diabetes-and-other-chronic-conditions.shtml

http://healthletter.mayoclinic.com/editorial/editorial.cfm/i/163/t/Buzzed on inflammation/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/health/food-cause-pain-daniluk/

Sugar, as with everything, should be used in moderation. If you are insulin resistant or diabetic, it really is your enemy in regards to health and weight loss. If you are relatively healthy and not obese, then you should eat it sparingly. Highly processed food is unhealthy if eaten in significant quantities. They should be limited and more natural and whole foods should be the main staple of your diet.

I would get a second opinion if you feel like you aren't getting the answers you need. Just keep in mind that for as many people as you ask, you may get as many different answers :)

Best of luck to you!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar of some kind everyday. For me sugar is sugar. I don't track it in MFP. I swapped it for fiber.