heard disturbing convo about weight today

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I heard a girl in the next fitting room over from me at Old Navy ask her friend to get her a size 0 because the 2 was "just too big" ... I almost threw a pair of pants at her ;)

Personally, I don't see a difference between 100 and 105, and I'm amused that this person was saying "Oh I'm so fat!" but I guess it's all relative. Gaining 5 pounds IS a big deal, at least for those of us trying to lose weight.

I wouldn't worry about other people, most of them have their own issues to deal with.

5 lbs is also quite a bit for someone very petite.

Also, when should weight become a concern? Isn't it better if someone were to keep it in check early rather than waiting until it's 20 lbs and saying "Oh time to lose weight!"

this was my thought.

Ten pounds on someone at 125- makes a huge different- 10 pounds on me just means I put away skinny jeans and that's it.

When you are ONLY 100 pounds- 5 pounds makes a HUGE difference.

OP
    I was unaware that there was a weight limit on being over weight and having validity to complain about it.- apparently if you are small and over weight you have no right to complain. is it 5 pounds? 10 pounds? 15? what's the cap for complaining?

it's not your body.

If they truly AREN'T over weight- then yeah- it's annoying- but ultimately it isn't a reflection on you or anything to do with you- so move on about your life.

Agreed. I am 5'7", and 10 pounds really isn't that noticeable of a difference on or off of me.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Going from the username, I feel like this is a new incarnation of MayaDaya/BrightCristal/the other 70 usernames this person has created...

BOOM! Me too....
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I heard a girl in the next fitting room over from me at Old Navy ask her friend to get her a size 0 because the 2 was "just too big" ... I almost threw a pair of pants at her ;)

I am 139 pounds and currently sitting in a pair of size 0 Old Navy jeans. They're one of the worst offenders when it comes to vanity sizing.

Which is why I :heart: ON :drinker:
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This ridiculous thread reminds me of the saying "everyone is fighting their own battles. Try not to be a c*nt."
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Just shows that most of us have body image issues...your perception is your reality......trying to improve what I say and think of myself
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Going from the username, I feel like this is a new incarnation of MayaDaya/BrightCristal/the other 70 usernames this person has created...

Yes, thank you.

And if you don't listen in on other people's conversations your problems will be solved.

Also, I don't understand getting upset that someone needs a different size. That happens to me all the time. The 2 is too big and sometimes I am told to go to another store that sells 0 or 00.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that the last time I was 100lbs I was 10. Not joking.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Replying to the OP:
    If they were tall ladies, I can see that being a bit disturbing. But if they were like me (barely 5'), I can see it being totally acceptable. If I had maintained at 100lbs for a very long time, but then all of a sudden upped by 5lbs (assuming not due to water weight, shark week or unresolved... issues), I'd be concerned too. I'd tell my friends - because they've supported me in my weight loss and maintaining the loss - and I'm sure they'd be worried and asking about if anything changed.

But I'll agree with you in that a 5lbs difference is totally not worth freaking out over. I've dropped 7+lbs in two days and it turned out it was just water weight and... food on the way out, suffice to say.

That said, it's none of your business. Nor should it affect you. So this skinny lady gained 5lbs and her friends are freaking out - who flips a waffle? Not you. Her body is not yours. They were not talking about you, they were not even looking at you.

If conversations all around you are all of a sudden all ABOUT you, that's not their problem - it's yours. Until that sinks it, you'll find it hard to accept your body and love it. Only you need to love your body - if other people don't, that's not your problem.

Edited by ThatMouse On May 28, 2014 12:34 PM

So true. :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming based on context, that they were petite teenagers. 5 pounds is like "totally a huge effing deal oh mah gawd" when you're an adolescent.

They're either really young, or really petite. Neither of these things should bother you, an adult woman.

PS: short people are just really light. I bounce around from 105-110, but would gladly weigh a lot more if it meant I got to be taller. Grass is always greener and such.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Today I was at a clothing store. I heard the employee working there having a loud conversation with her friend about her weight. Her friend said that lately she became so fat and became 100 pounds. And then the employee said that she has always been around 100 pounds and then she became 105 pounds and people were all asking her, "OMG what happened to you? What have you been eating?"

Makes me want to never leave the house again....no joke

I want to accept my appearance before losing weight....I don't want to feel ashamed and hate my body.......it's a real struggle and hearing these things just reaffirms that other people think I'm fat and "omg what have you been eating"

Those people are just, and pardon my language, attention *kitten*.

They work stuff like that in conversations because they want people to then respond "oh, you are not fat. YOu look great" or people who continue post selfy pics or leading messages on facebook. They want attention and to be honest, it probably didnt even happen and the one girl just wanted assurances.

Sorta like those smart kids who would say they didnt study and probably failed the test...only to get an A on the exam.
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    Wow so much hate in this thread. I'm 5'1 and 112. I'm perfectly healthy and not at all boney. I feel a lot more comfortable around 105lbs again a very healthy weight for my size. I have every right to complain about my weight gain as everyone else (my HW was 140). When I say I'm fat. I do feel fat. That doesn't mean I think people bigger than me are bad looking but I'm just not happy with myself at this size.

Not that this post is going to make any difference but calling people of a certain size disgusting is pretty mean. If you said that about someone who was overweight you would have been torn apart here.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    When I tough my wife or hold her I prefer not to feel bone.... ugh...

:huh:

Yea.... fixed that. I type way to fast and make a lot of things sound / look mildly retarded.

Um, you fixed nothing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Today I was at a clothing store. I heard the employee working there having a loud conversation with her friend about her weight. Her friend said that lately she became so fat and became 100 pounds. And then the employee said that she has always been around 100 pounds and then she became 105 pounds and people were all asking her, "OMG what happened to you? What have you been eating?"

I want to accept my appearance before losing weight....I don't want to feel ashamed and hate my body.......it's a real struggle and hearing these things just reaffirms that other people think I'm fat and "omg what have you been eating"

and you are capable of passing judgement on people you don't know via the word of a highly suspect poster?

seems legit.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of the fence now. The overweight person thinking everyone is staring at me and thinking about how fat I am, and the 'skinny' person freaking out because I gained a pound.

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can. What most of you do is called projection. You are overweight, you likely know you are overweight. This isn't a bad thing, but many people perceive it to be. Therefore, when they are overweight, they feel like everyone else is judging them as harshly as they are. I've been there. They're not. Am I saying that no one is judging you? No. What I am saying is that not EVERYONE is. And many people who are overweight act like EVERYONE is. Which just isn't the case. People struggle with body image issues. Skinny people do, overweight people do, obese people do, fit people do. Body dysmorphia knows no size. When someone says they feel uncomfortable in their body, it does not mean they are thinking about you.

Which brings me to the other side of the fence. I've battled an eating disorder. So, I have been the person who felt 'fat' even when they weren't. I know I'm not, and I know being overweight isn't bad (as in it doesn't make me a bad person when I am, I know it's bad health wise). But when you struggle with body image, that doesn't matter. Often, people would ask what I must think of them. Which ticked me off. I don't think about your weight. I don't spend every waking moment judging people based on their weight size. I struggle with body image, I'm not a narcissist.

I'm sure some people do judge people based on weight. I've been called harsh things (from both skinny AND bigger people... it really doesn't end when you lose the weight, contrary to popular dreams) . Best thing to do is stop feeling like everyone is juding you when they struggle with body image issues of their own, and just learn to ignore them when they are judging ou. Because honestly, people are always going to be judging you sometimes - for better or for worse.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

and you are capable of passing judgement on people you don't know via the word of a highly suspect poster?

seems legit.
    Not sure what you mean but I hear it all the time from fit women talking about how much weight they gained (when you can tell they look amazing, or how bad they look, etc etc etc and all they are looking for is reassurances from people about how good they look.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

seems legit.
    Not sure what you mean but I hear it all the time from fit women talking about how much weight they gained (when you can tell they look amazing, or how bad they look, etc etc etc and all they are looking for is reassurances from people about how good they look.

Just because someone "looks amazing" in your eyes doesn't mean the person feels amazing in their eyes. :noway:
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    At least it isnt as bad as a skinny person whining to you how fat they are ( when you are over 230 lbs, other person with you is prob close to 250 and the skinny person is lucky to be 140 max) It makes ya feel like damn if you think you are fat what about us? :( total eeyore moment
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

seems legit.

The op appears to be the same person that said she is obese and a size 0. She is trolling. I'm saying this to agree with the last comment.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    All the 'that's too skinny' and 'I want my woman to have meat on her' sort of talk is just so ridiculous. We get it, everyone has preferences, but what if your 'woman' wanted to be 105 and got down there -- you going to stop loving her and wanting her?

Bodies are bodies. They can be beautiful in all shapes, sizes, forms, and the like. By putting too rigid of preferences out there, you make it that much harder for someone to gain acceptance for where they are going to fall on the weight spectrum. Being concerned for health reasons for someone too thin or too heavy is way different than "no fat chicks in this bed" and "omg need some meat on my ladies, amirite" -- the latter examples are just ways to play on insecurities (male or female, you can switch up the genders and have the same discussion) for those who aren't in some sort of mythical middle ground of Goldilockism, aka 'just right'.

Oh, and if you're ever on the receiving end of those comments, just ignore them and do what's right for you. You dropped to 110 and you're healthy and fit and happy but your gf or bf doesn't like the bonier pelvis or something? You have the power to not let that bother you and do what's right for you....so do that :)

OP -- others have pointed out, the conversation wasn't about you. People have body image issues at all sizes and I totally get how those conversations make you feel even more aware that you're way bigger than them. At 5'1" and used to be 300 pounds, I most certainly understand!! They make look at you and judge you or they may not, but you have no control over any of that. What you do have control over is not giving a flying eff. You have your path and your journey. They have theirs. Unless they willfully intersect those paths by addressing you specifically, I suggest ignoring it and reminding yourself that they may have issues too and just move on.

ETA: And yes, I get that OP is probably a troll but hey, others may read and benefit (or not, who knows) <g>
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

what I mean is that you have no way of knowing that was the actual intent of the conversation or not simple by the account we have here.

Edit: I look amazing- I work hard and I dress well- so most of the time- i'm comfortable saying I look dayum good- most of the time- But I have days where I feel fat and horrible and I hate my body. Everyone has those days. And i DO look amazing.

My 30th this year- half way through my bulk- we were driving to my birthday dinner and I made my BF stop at Target so I could buy new pants- I was so upset- I felt miserable and fat.

It happens- just because they appear to look a certain way to you does not mean they feel that way. Perception to you is no perception to them. It's a feeling- not a fact.
    The op appears to be the same person that said she is obese and a size 0. She is trolling. I'm saying this to agree with the last comment.

Concur and agree.