heard disturbing convo about weight today

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    in.
    for the cornucopia of awesomeness that these threads always seem to produce.

Oh happy Wednesday, MFP!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean but I hear it all the time from fit women talking about how much weight they gained (when you can tell they look amazing, or how bad they look, etc etc etc and all they are looking for is reassurances from people about how good they look.

what I mean is that you have no way of knowing that was the actual intent of the conversation or not simple by the account we have here.
    The op appears to be the same person that said she is obese and a size 0. She is trolling. I'm saying this to agree with the last comment.

Concur and agree.

I agree also. The op was eavesdropping on one portion of a conversation (probably between teenagers), if this even happened.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean but I hear it all the time from fit women talking about how much weight they gained (when you can tell they look amazing, or how bad they look, etc etc etc and all they are looking for is reassurances from people about how good they look.

And what's wrong with that? If you take a guy who's 160 pounds with 8% body fat and have him gain 10 pounds of fat, suddenly he's going to look a lot different and have a much higher body fat percentage (~13.5% body fat). On the other hand, take a guy who's 315 lbs and let him gain 10 pounds of fat and the difference is much less noticeable. It's also much harder to lose 10 pounds when you're very lean versus when you're carrying around a lot of excess weight. So while you may look at someone and envy their appearance, it doesn't mean they don't have goals just like you have. They might be further along than you are, but at the end of the day you're never really "done" when it comes to fitness and health.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Personally, I distaste people who are either average or underweight making comments toward themselves regarding weight. Like what the heck ladies... I should be in 150's and I was in the 240's and I always think when I hear skinny mini's complaining how thet must think I'm so diguisting. It always made me feel huge and irrelvant.

I completely understand that you feel that way. However, I've never been overweight, always pretty average but I still have days where I feel so incredibly horrible about myself and the way that I look. Not being overweight doesn't make those insecurities go away.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is a nasty emotion. But it's always in plentiful supply.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Personally, I distaste people who are either average or underweight making comments toward themselves regarding weight. Like what the heck ladies... I should be in 150's and I was in the 240's and I always think when I hear skinny mini's complaining how thet must think I'm so diguisting. It always made me feel huge and irrelvant.

I completely understand that you feel that way. However, I've never been overweight, always pretty average but I still have days where I feel so incredibly horrible about myself and the way that I look. Not being overweight doesn't make those insecurities go away.

ding ding ding- winner winner chicken dinner.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This ridiculous thread reminds me of the saying "everyone is fighting their own battles. Try not to be a c*nt."

Haha! Is that a saying!? Ill have to remember that one!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    This ridiculous thread reminds me of the saying "everyone is fighting their own battles. Try not to be a c*nt."

Haha! Is that a saying!? Ill have to remember that one!

it is now!!!!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

what I mean is that you have no way of knowing that was the actual intent of the conversation or not simple by the account we have here.

Edit: I look amazing- I work hard and I dress well- so most of the time- i'm comfortable saying I look dayum good- most of the time- But I have days where I feel fat and horrible and I hate my body. Everyone has those days. And i DO look amazing.

My 30th this year- half way through my bulk- we were driving to my birthday dinner and I made my BF stop at Target so I could buy new pants- I was so upset- I felt miserable and fat.

It happens- just because they appear to look a certain way to you does not mean they feel that way. Perception to you is no perception to them. It's a feeling- not a fact.
    The op appears to be the same person that said she is obese and a size 0. She is trolling. I'm saying this to agree with the last comment.

Concur and agree.
    Gotcha. I came in late to this convo and it just seemed like all BS to me. Just heard someone at a ballgame talking about it, loudly, on Monday evening and a number of her friends reassured her that she looks great blah blah blah. I
  • GilinTO
    GilinTO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Going from the username, I feel like this is a new incarnation of MayaDaya/BrightCristal/the other 70 usernames this person has created...

Trolls gonna troll.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Going from the username, I feel like this is a new incarnation of MayaDaya/BrightCristal/the other 70 usernames this person has created...

Trolls gonna troll.

And Haterz gonna Hate
  • GilinTO
    GilinTO Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Ultimately, it's you listening in on their conversation.

They're 100% entitled to their opinions, and it shouldn't be on them to censor their conversations in your presence.

Other people are allowed to have opinions, even if you don't happen to agree with them, and I think this is a fairly tame thing to hear. They feel fat if they're skinny. Big deal...that's up to them and not up to you.
  • LifeLibertyLove
    Options
    BTW, and I know this may sort of contradict what I said above, but these two girls sound like they may be on the precipice of some major body dysmorphia issues, so for this specific instance I would definitely take anything they said to one another with a grain of salt. They don't seem to have healthy self images of themselves, so any judgment you may have perceived is, in a way, poisonous and inaccurate.
    [/quote]

I agree here.
    I also think that you shouldn't be hating on them for making those comments. They are individuals with their own personal journey and own personal feelings. They made those comments because they genuinely feel that way.
    We all have our own personal struggles. What another girl was saying to her girlfriend is none of your business, and you should treat it as such.
    You feeling more poorly about yourself because of it isn't any of their fault, it's yours.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Gotcha. I came in late to this convo and it just seemed like all BS to me. Just heard someone at a ballgame talking about it, loudly, on Monday evening and a number of her friends reassured her that she looks great blah blah blah. I

indeed.

And I"m not saying what you are saying isn't possible. It's a very real truth that women do that and fish for compliments. But in this case- it's impossible to tell- there is absolutely not enough context.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Its probably does seem crazy but any tiny bit shows when you are small. I'm on my normal average about 110 and I'm 120 right now... Its noticeable not just by me... Its been noticed by others... Well by the BF and actually as a compliment because he likes it and rubbing my stomach... but for me just the way I perceive things it's got me wanting to get back down to that. And actually as crazy as it sounds I had a little extra meat at 110. No I'm not crazy, women in my family are just that tiny. Heck my grandmother was 97 until after a few kids and I had an aunt like that but they looked healthy. Me at my lowest was 100 but I don't feel like I need to be that I was perfectly fine at 110... And maybe those girls are a bit dramatic but its also pretty hard to lose those couple of pounds even people who come from a higher weight always have trouble losing those last few.

Yeah I agree, when you're tiny, a few pounds does make a large difference on how you look. I'm 4'9 and am usually 100 pounds but when I gained up to 7 pounds in college, you can really see how much fat got stuck on my arms and tummy. Compared to my other siblings, I'm considered the chubby child in my family. :x
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    In my mid 20's, when I was a size 20 at 5'8", I worked with this girl who was 5'2" and I'd estimate around a size 2-4. She was a petite 20-something woman who had a little belly bulge due to having an intestinal disorder and also just the way her body was made. People were always asking her if she was pregnant and it REALLY bothered her...like A LOT. Not that I blame her! Anyway, she would get so down on herself and she was upset because she didn't want to lose weight and look sickly (which she did when she lost a few pounds, I saw that myself) but she just was so unhappy with her body.

Another girl we worked with was taller and wore size 6 pants but she had her own issues because she gained about 10 lb in the off season from playing college sports and she felt "fat" and bloated. Her size 6s were not comfortable on her during the off season and you could tell. She was a student on a very tight budget working part-time and she couldn't go to the store and get a bunch of size 8s. In my view, her gaining 10 lb was similar to me (at the time) gaining 35 or 40 lb (later on). Feeling awkward & uncomfortable in her own body!

I knew very well that I was obese (had been for years at that point), but I was fairly happy with my own figure at that time and was down about 10-15 lb from my "usual" weight so I felt great.

I'd say both of those ladies were probably more unhappy with their bodies than I was with my own...a size 20 and sizes 2-4-6...you just never know, people...
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I just figure they're idiots like so many others in the world and ignore them. Just hope they don't breed more idiots.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they didn't mean kilograms?
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options

*Bingo!! ^^ That!