Is it true you should eat within 30 minutes of waking up?

Options

Replies

• Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    depends on who i wake up next to
  • abbycc727
    abbycc727 Posts: 1
    Options
    I worked with a licensed dietician and studies suggest to eat within first hour of being up. Its to break the "fasting" and rev up your metabolism.
  • CoachTracee
    CoachTracee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes...it will wake up your metabolism. Even if it's just half a banana. Imagine that your metabolism is a camp fire and it goes out when you fall asleep. How do you start it again? Throw on some wood. Every three hours you add more wood to keep that fire burning hot. Your food is the wood. Make sense?
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh this may get good lol. No popcorn but I will make a cup of green tea????
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yes...it will wake up your metabolism. Even if it's just half a banana. Imagine that your metabolism is a camp fire and it goes out when you fall asleep. How do you start it again? Throw on some wood. Every three hours you add more wood to keep that fire burning hot. Your food is the wood. Make sense?

It would make sense if my metabolism stopped when I went to sleep. :huh:
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I do, but only because I don't get up until 9:00 - 9:30. God I love being retired!
    Retired? That's not fair!

But, just like you I paid my dues!
  • lariskeafval
    lariskeafval Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you eat within the first 30 minutes of waking up, you won't have a miracle loss the next week. It is important to eat breakfast though and the faster you eat it after waking up, the faster your metabolism gets a boost.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

It would make sense if my metabolism stopped when I went to sleep. :huh:

but it doesn't. so.....
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ah? 1lbs per week is a very good weight loss!
    Ah? You should eat when you are hungry not when you are told to eat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry.

You DON'T need to eat 5-6 meals a day.
    You CAN eat right before bed
    You DON'T have to eat every 2-3 hours.

This is working for you, and that's great. But it's surely not something you HAVE to do.

Nope what ever works for each individual is great but that's one of the best ways to speed up your metabolism. just a suggestion :P

It doesn't speed up your metabolism though...
    Have you done it that way before? i never said they had to do it though, just something that works for me. Maybe what you do might work for them too, who knows but pretty please don't say things that I never said :) thnakyou :P

But you DID say it speeds up your metabolism
    I am referring to the word HAVE as in you implying i told this lady that she has to do it lol i was trying to tell her what worked for me and you went and blew it all out of proportion sayin i was telling her she HAS to do something when i wasn't lol IT WAS JUST A SUGGESTION OH MY ROFL

no what you did was spread mis-information and were corrected...

Eating frequently DOES NOT speed metabolism

To the OP I have been up for 2 hours..haven't eaten yet..and wont for another hour...because I am not in need of food yet.

As well 1lb a week is a great rate of weight loss...
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    In my opinion eating in the morning has helped my weight loss and has also got rid of my chronic heatburn which I have had for over 10 years!!

Breakfast is called it for a reason Break fast you have been fast whilst asleep and you are breaking that fast.

Yes if you keep under your cals etc you will lose weight but there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it.

I do get annoyed with alot of **** people post on here about you can eat crap as long as you keep under your cals etc I tend to listen to my doctor and PT who are qualified. Eat breakfast, lower carbs in the evening, try not to eat white carbs (it does spike your insulin levels) and drink lots of water.

The only time I have issues is when I don't follow these simple rules.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    In my opinion eating in the morning has helped my weight loss and has also got rid of my chronic heatburn which I have had for over 10 years!!

Breakfast is called it for a reason Break fast you have been fast whilst asleep and you are breaking that fast.

Yes if you keep under your cals etc you will lose weight but there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it.

I do get annoyed with alot of **** people post on here about you can eat crap as long as you keep under your cals etc I tend to listen to my doctor and PT who are qualified. Eat breakfast, lower carbs in the evening, try not to eat white carbs (it does spike your insulin levels) and drink lots of water.

ummm so what?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slow. I am only loosing 1 pound a week. Today somebody told me I should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Is this true?
    Well my Dogs and cats think it is as 30 seconds after I wake up I have to feed them all. As others have said meal timing is personal preference. Also a pound a week is not slow.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

ummm so what?

It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time. If you eat a meal that has too high of a Glycemic Index, your blood sugar will spike, causing a large release in insulin. During this period of time your body cannot use fat for fuel (even if you are operating under a calorie deficit and even if you workout like crazy). You can get everything else right and not make good progress if you allow your insulin levels to get out of whack.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

ummm so what?

It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time. If you eat a meal that has too high of a Glycemic Index, your blood sugar will spike, causing a large release in insulin. During this period of time your body cannot use fat for fuel (even if you are operating under a calorie deficit and even if you workout like crazy). You can get everything else right and not make good progress if you allow your insulin levels to get out of whack.

You're complicatng things. With all the GI ****. People dont advocate eating "junk"

They are trying to tell people to make a lifestyle change that means incorporating your fav foods into your clorie count and modifying your portions so u can still can enjoy foods/moments/life.

By no means does this mean eat junk, it means you want that candy bar today? Have it, but if you blow your calories you may have to plan on eating salad for dinner. They are trying to say find balance, eat healthy food but also some "junk" in moderation.

You are missing the point of what people are trying to say about moderation and lifestyle change.

So you go on worrying about the GI and chemical workings of the human body and the rest of us will keep it simple with less rules and calorie counting and getting results
    FIFY
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In for the nonsense!
  • ckchilds
    ckchilds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a health & wellness consultant who works with several dietitians, I advise eating within an hour of getting up. Breakfast helps kick-start your metabolism for the day, gives you more energy, and helps you concentrate better (yes, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day - what applies to school children applies to adults too).

People who regularly eat breakfast are, on average, thinner than those that don't.
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    As a health & wellness consultant who works with several dietitians, I advise eating within an hour of getting up. Breakfast helps kick-start your metabolism for the day, gives you more energy, and helps you concentrate better (yes, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day - what applies to school children applies to adults too).

People who regularly eat breakfast are, on average, thinner than those that don't.
    Our metabolism doesn't need a kick-start......what are we an old motorcycle