Is it true you should eat within 30 minutes of waking up?

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So going on this theory as I get woken by my wife to move her at least 5 times during the night does that mean my metabolism slows every time because I don't eat something at those times? If so my metabolism must have stopped but hey haven't I lost a wee bit of weight? Or is it that your body knows that 7am is breakfast time so it's only at that time it needs a 'kickstart'?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry.

What does it matter if you eat 1-3 meals versus 5-6? And what is wrong with eating right before bed?
    the reason for this method of madness lol is eating smaller portions more frequently speeds up your metabolism which in turn assists in weight loss. Also by eating more frequently your less likely to binge......

FALSE!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    In my opinion eating in the morning has helped my weight loss and has also got rid of my chronic heatburn which I have had for over 10 years!!

Breakfast is called it for a reason Break fast you have been fast whilst asleep and you are breaking that fast.

Yes if you keep under your cals etc you will lose weight but there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it.

I do get annoyed with alot of **** people post on here about you can eat crap as long as you keep under your cals etc I tend to listen to my doctor and PT who are qualified. Eat breakfast, lower carbs in the evening, try not to eat white carbs (it does spike your insulin levels) and drink lots of water.

The only time I have issues is when I don't follow these simple rules.

So I break my fast around 1 in the afternoon what is the difference?

Now for the eating crap comment.. I have never ate crap... but I do eat delicious baked goods, and after a quick look at your diary you eat bakery and chocolate in moderation.. maybe you should take a moment to really read when someone is saying you can eat "junk food" and stay within your calories and see what they are really saying as it's always about moderation.

For the other part if it's working for you that's great but it is not necessary to eat that way to lose weight or for health. Your Doc & PT are certified dietitians?

Sorry what part of my diary is bad compared to you?

Also did you note that I have 1400 cals compared to your 2500 cals!! cake for breakfast yes that is really healthy!!!

Did I say anything was bad in your diary?? Not once did I say that.

I eat between 1600-1900 a day typically, yesterday just happened to be a very active day. I have logged the piece of homemade cake I will be having today, haven't had it yet, but it's weighed out and logged so I can make sure it fits in my day. I may have it for breakfast and how is that unhealthy?

Also Editing to add: I've proven this works as I've dropped 111 lbs, been taken off 75% of my prescriptions, all my blood work has improved significantly. So I will have to go with what I'm doing is working and healthy.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

People who regularly eat breakfast are, on average, thinner than those that don't.

^^^THIS, SO MUCH!!!!

I have not been eating breakfast since Aug. 2013
    The pounds are piling on, so you are right. :drinker: :drinker:

Aug 2013 -> 183 lbs
    May 2014 -> 168 lbs
  • MityMax96
    Options

I eat between 1600-1900 a day typically, yesterday just happened to be a very active day. I have logged the piece of homemade cake I will be having today, haven't had it yet, but it's weighed out and logged so I can make sure it fits in my day. I may have it for breakfast and how is that unhealthy?

Also Editing to add: I've proven this works as I've dropped 111 lbs, been taken off 75% of my prescriptions, all my blood work has improved significantly. So I will have to go with what I'm doing is working and healthy.

You are so gonna die....just sayin
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In my opinion eating in the morning has helped my weight loss and has also got rid of my chronic heatburn which I have had for over 10 years!!

Breakfast is called it for a reason Break fast you have been fast whilst asleep and you are breaking that fast.

Yes if you keep under your cals etc you will lose weight but there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it.

I do get annoyed with alot of **** people post on here about you can eat crap as long as you keep under your cals etc I tend to listen to my doctor and PT who are qualified. Eat breakfast, lower carbs in the evening, try not to eat white carbs (it does spike your insulin levels) and drink lots of water.

Now for the eating crap comment.. I have never ate crap... but I do eat delicious baked goods, and after a quick look at your diary you eat bakery and chocolate in moderation.. maybe you should take a moment to really read when someone is saying you can eat "junk food" and stay within your calories and see what they are really saying as it's always about moderation.

For the other part if it's working for you that's great but it is not necessary to eat that way to lose weight or for health. Your Doc & PT are certified dietitians?

Also did you note that I have 1400 cals compared to your 2500 cals!! cake for breakfast yes that is really healthy!!!

ironic post is ironic...chastizing people for the food in their diary after getting upset that they "felt" chastized....:laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

But she gets to eat cake so it all evens out in the end...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Yep I'm gonna die and I'll be eating my cake when I do :) And this is the cake in question

md2jog.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

lol, nothing about your diary is bad, but good job on completely missing the point.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slow. I am only loosing 1 pound a week. Today somebody told me I should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Is this true?
    Well my Dogs and cats think it is as 30 seconds after I wake up I have to feed them all. As others have said meal timing is personal preference. Also a pound a week is not slow.

Haha My cats think it's an hour BEFORE I get up.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slow. I am only loosing 1 pound a week. Today somebody told me I should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Is this true?
    Your ticker does not look like you are trying to lose much, 1 might even be too much per week if you don't want to lose muscle, maybe 0.5, have you done your TDEE?
  • MityMax96
    Options

the reason for this method of madness lol is eating smaller portions more frequently speeds up your metabolism which in turn assists in weight loss. Also by eating more frequently your less likely to binge......

Not really.....

My first meal of the day, around 1pm, is usually ~1000 calories, if not more.
    Then I still have another 1500 - 2000 calories to eat by 8pm
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry.

What does it matter if you eat 1-3 meals versus 5-6? And what is wrong with eating right before bed?

But it doesn't speed up your metabolism...:huh:

Have you tried it?

IFer and 5:2 here way of eating for me.....

and.....

I think I'm doing okay :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options

But she gets to eat cake so it all evens out in the end...

Maybe....:grumble: :grumble:
    I guess w/ cake she will die happy....
    Perhaps we could bury her with her cake...it did kill her after all. :laugh: :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options

Yep I'm gonna die and I'll be eating my cake when I do :) And this is the cake in question

md2jog.jpg

See that....I told you....
    DEAD!!!!

I feel so sorry for you. :laugh: :laugh:

And now I am :mad: :mad:
    Where is my piece?
  • KaciStClair22
    Options
    ok seriously i have been looking around for those cute little trackers that i see on everyones comments. can anyone tell me how to get one.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Yes...it will wake up your metabolism. Even if it's just half a banana. Imagine that your metabolism is a camp fire and it goes out when you fall asleep. How do you start it again? Throw on some wood. Every three hours you add more wood to keep that fire burning hot. Your food is the wood. Make sense?

By making nearly this exact statement, the trainer that my wife and I fired lost out on over $20,000 in income ...

She may have used a car engine and gas metaphor, though ... but the "even if it's just half a banana" .. word for word. All this happened when I showed up for a 7:00am Saturday workout on an empty stomach and she refused to train me that morning ...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

md2jog.jpg

See that....I told you....
    DEAD!!!!

I feel so sorry for you. :laugh: :laugh:

And now I am :mad: :mad:
    Where is my piece?

Come on over, I want to bake more today but have too much cake left so I'm sharing :drinker:
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I suppose it could be true, in the sense that if you are hungry within 30 minutes of waking up, that's when you should eat.
    As far as an impact on your weight loss... nope. It doesn't matter.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yes...it will wake up your metabolism. Even if it's just half a banana. Imagine that your metabolism is a camp fire and it goes out when you fall asleep. How do you start it again? Throw on some wood. Every three hours you add more wood to keep that fire burning hot. Your food is the wood. Make sense?

By making nearly this exact statement, the trainer that my wife and I fired lost out on over $20,000 in income ...

She may have used a car engine and gas metaphor, though ... but the "even if it's just half a banana" .. word for word. All this happened when I showed up for a 7:00am Saturday workout on an empty stomach and she refused to train me that morning ...

Refused to train you? Wow... :noway: