NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Options

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Companies will do whatever they can do make money. Many people here seem to think that's some kind of genius argument and stop their thinking there.

Consumers have power too. If consumers demand healthier food, nutritional information (as they have) and choose healthier options, companies have to change. It's a combination of personal responsibility and an understanding of consumer rights.

Yeah, actually, that is the argument though. Companies are in business to make money for their shareholders, period. Providing what the customer wants is the best way to do that. Unfortunately for your argument, consumers want McDonalds. If they didn't, the company wouldn't be in business. That's the way it works.

And what's this about consumer rights? Consumers have a right to want what they want. They have a right to buy what kind of food they want. I don't see a violation of rights here at all....

Don't worry though. You have rights too. You can choose not to eat at McDs. There now...problem solved.

Why? I can choose to have their salad with their calorie-counted dressing.

Look, these are large companies that sell cheap food. Many people at cheap food, many of those people don't know a lot about nutrition. The reason we know McDonald's is bad for us is not because they told us out of love, it's because consumer rights groups worked hard and people watched documentaries about what is in their food. Back when Supersize Me was made, they did not display their nutritional information, for example.

Companies change when their consumers demand it. It's not that hard to understand.

Yes, you can choose that.

Yes, companies change when the majority of their customers demand it.

No, the majority of McDs customers are NOT demanding this change.

Thus, McDs doesn't feel compelled to change.

You're right. It is easy to understand.

Actually... many people at McD's are. That's why you see so many changes, such as... salads... heck, mcd's out here were selling steamed broccoli for a while. Strange bright green supersize broccoli, but that's par for the course.

Ok. So then what's your point? They are meeting their consumers needs. Customers still want burgers and fries, and they provide that, too. What more do you want from them? A complete overhaul of the menu? Customers will need to demand it in mass and that's not happening at the moment.

Do you want more consumers to rise up and demand the change?

I'm saying that personal responsibility is an easy thing to say, but people who have more of a social consciousness also try to look out for people who don't have access to the same information as them and also try to demand better options for everyone. It doesn't hurt the company to make stuff that is better for consumers. They will sell any crap if people don't stand up for themselves and each other.
  • cjonthehill
    cjonthehill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Individual responsibility has somehow become lost in our current society. No one holds people at gun point and makes them eat junk food, fast food or any food. Its a choice. If you make your bed, you get to lie in it. That seems to be a hard pill to swallow for people these days.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    That's a rather strange argument because the only reason why the demand would change is because of the education... but if everyone is personally responsible, not working together, then how would that information get out?

How do you make the logical leap from "you're responsible for your own health" to a lack of education? I'd argue that taking responsibility for your own body is likely to lead to increased education, relative to the people that just expect McDonalds to change and serve them what's "healthy" (as if such a thing were possible, as you can overeat on any food). Part of having the freedom to choose for yourself is taking responsibility for your own actions.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Companies will do whatever they can do make money. Many people here seem to think that's some kind of genius argument and stop their thinking there.

Consumers have power too. If consumers demand healthier food, nutritional information (as they have) and choose healthier options, companies have to change. It's a combination of personal responsibility and an understanding of consumer rights.

Yeah, actually, that is the argument though. Companies are in business to make money for their shareholders, period. Providing what the customer wants is the best way to do that. Unfortunately for your argument, consumers want McDonalds. If they didn't, the company wouldn't be in business. That's the way it works.

And what's this about consumer rights? Consumers have a right to want what they want. They have a right to buy what kind of food they want. I don't see a violation of rights here at all....

Don't worry though. You have rights too. You can choose not to eat at McDs. There now...problem solved.

Look, these are large companies that sell cheap food. Many people at cheap food, many of those people don't know a lot about nutrition. The reason we know McDonald's is bad for us is not because they told us out of love, it's because consumer rights groups worked hard and people watched documentaries about what is in their food. Back when Supersize Me was made, they did not display their nutritional information, for example.

Companies change when their consumers demand it. It's not that hard to understand.

Actually... many people at McD's are. That's why you see so many changes, such as... salads... heck, mcd's out here were selling steamed broccoli for a while. Strange bright green supersize broccoli, but that's par for the course.

Ok. So then what's your point? They are meeting their consumers needs. Customers still want burgers and fries, and they provide that, too. What more do you want from them? A complete overhaul of the menu? Customers will need to demand it in mass and that's not happening at the moment.

I'm saying that personal responsibility is an easy thing to say, but people who have more of a social consciousness also try to look out for people who don't have access to the same information as them and also try to demand better options for everyone. It doesn't hurt the company to make stuff that is better for consumers. They will sell any crap if people don't stand up for themselves and each other.

Hey now. This is America. We didn't get where we are now by catering to people's sensibilities. Now run along and make money off of the exploitation of others like the rest of us.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I agree with you OP! McDonalds is almost never had by my kids simply for the reason that it is so bad for them. It is totally a special treat when we get them fast food. Yes fast food is cheap and easy but I would never feed it to my kids or myself regularly.

As a non-American this is something I cannot wrap my head around. McD's is " so bad " for your children that you don't eat it regularly, but it is good enough as a " treat " .
    Does that not prove that you are just as much a victim of the fast food culture ( which is set up for people to not be able to escape ) as those who eat it several times a week ? Not looking for controversy....just wondering.
    You are btw the second poster in a handful of posts who considers McD's bad, but good enough to eat on special occasions. As I said, I don't get it.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That's a rather strange argument because the only reason why the demand would change is because of the education... but if everyone is personally responsible, not working together, then how would that information get out?

How do you make the logical leap from "you're responsible for your own health" to a lack of education? I'd argue that taking responsibility for your own body is likely to lead to increased education, relative to the people that just expect McDonalds to change and serve them what's "healthy" (as if such a thing were possible, as you can overeat on any food). Part of having the freedom to choose for yourself is taking responsibility for your own actions.

... That's really weird, because you quoted what I said and then made up a quote, making it seem like I was responding to the statement "you're responsible for your own health" instead of what I was actually responding to, which was a comment made by someone else that referred to different points. Interesting debating tactic!
  • halfpintpeggy
    halfpintpeggy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the posts here are dramatically over complicating this topic. If you don't want to feed yourself or your kids fast food, then do not patronize these establishments....simple as that! Need a quick dinner for the kids because you don't cook? How about a can of vegetable soup & a tuna fish sandwich? Better yet, why not learn how to grill a chicken breast & some veggies in your free time? If children throw a fit because all they will eat are McNuggets, that's obviously because YOU have been feeding it to them. Companies such as McDonald's are NOT responsible for your health folks...you are!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Individual responsibility has somehow become lost in our current society. No one holds people at gun point and makes them eat junk food, fast food or any food. Its a choice. If you make your bed, you get to lie in it. That seems to be a hard pill to swallow for people these days.

So, for the 18 yo that has been obese since childhood and is now struggling to change everything they've ever known about food and eating while also stuggling with all the other drama of becoming an adult. Just a lack of individual responsibility?
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

Your comments about the Occupy Wall Street movements are similar.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Nobody forces you to eat fast food. Just saying
    Exactly! People who feed their children a diet of mainly fast food, are not doing it because they have to. They reason that they have no time to cook, or that they can't cook, or the child is a picky eater, therefore, they have to pick up fast food for a meal. Learn to cook. If you can read and follow directions, than you can cook. If you don't have a lot of time, pre-make and freeze food when you do have time. I do this a lot. If the kid is a picky eater? My parents gave us two choices: take it or leave it. We didn't starve to death.
  • cajunbandmom
    cajunbandmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the comments here but I tend to agree with the OP for the most part. It is so easy to go run and buy 10 dollar burgers for your family, BUT it is also just as easy to throw two pounds of red beans in a crockpot on a sunday let them cook while you do what ever it is you have to do. Total cost including rice and sausage is about 6.00 and you have three or four meals. Freeze it so it is ready when you are. Cook a roast or chicken also in a crockpot. You have to plan... it takes a little work. But there are ways to eat cheaply ( maybe not the healthiest ) but I can promise its better than the crap they feed you at mcdonalds. My son is only allowed to eat it maybe once a month. I work a 40 hour job, have my own business on the side, training for a half marathon and have two kids and husband at home so I know busy. The crockpot and freezer is my best friend.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Nine pages of feedback in just a few hours... yes you ruffled some feathers in the community!

That said, I completely agree with you. We need to take responsibility for our own actions. When I was over-weight and diabetic, no one forced me to eat four candy bars in one sitting... it was my choice; just as it was my choice to turn it around! We all have it in us to be who we want to be, no blame/no shame.

:-)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

McDs nutritional information is everywhere and you can request it at the restaurant. Everyone has access to the same information.

It does hurt the company to change their recipes, processes, etc. - especially if their own customers haven't asked them to do it. It changes the cost, it changes the cook time, it changes the taste, it changes the expiration dates and so, and so forth. Lost money hits the shareholders pockets. McDs shareholders aren't all rich tycoons. They are people just like you and me who are relying on their investment for their future needs. They are just as important as anyone else.

I agree that it's up to McDs customers to stand up for what they want. Clearly, the vast majority of them are just fine.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Coming back to read responses later, but well said. McDonald's doesn't make my kids eat the food and it isn't their responsibility to offer "healthy" food. It's my choice to either feed it to my kids or not!
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options

You are absolutely correct...consumers have power too. They have the power to choose what and how they eat. If they continue to choose to buy junk the company will continue to make junk, as you continue to call it that. If people stop going and buying the high calorie foods , the larger sizes, the sodas Etc. then the companies will do survey's find out what people want and cater to them. In the end yes companies are out to make money and if they stop making money off food that people are wrongly blaming for their obesity problems then companies will change their business plans. Supply....Demand.

Now if you want to talk about people not being educated on proper eating their could also be an argument set forth that it is the individuals responsibility to do that as well. Nobody can say that the information is not readily available, the internet has taken care of that. Even food labels tell you that the calories and percentages are based on a 2000 calorie a day diet and some of the labels says that the 2000 calories is the recommended intake for a person.

The point is the information is already out their. I am not saying that I wanted to start an argument about who's responsibility it is to educate yourself I said an argument could be made that it is each individuals responsibility. Personally when I have a question about something I go and try and find answers in some way shape or form taking it upon myself to make sure I am educated. I know not everyone has that kind of drive and I am by no means saying that everyone should but I am saying that I think that each person has some type of responsibility to find out what they need to know to make it through life once you are an adult and technically supposed to be responsible. Can people ban together to request information and change...yes and they do it because they realize they don't have answers and they want to know things or they found answers and see a problem.

So again I agree with you that people have power. They have the power to make choices based on what they know and what they can find out. If one chooses not to be educated about something and jumps in head first it is not the fault of the educators or the holders of the information but the individual who should have thought a little before going about their business. They also have the power to enact change but you cannot force your changes upon others because they have to make their own choices. Again it all comes back to individual choices.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Look, these are large companies that sell cheap food. Many people eat out, many jobs depend on people eating out, it's not a crime - it's just that many of those people eating out don't know a lot about nutrition, and companies profit from not telling them. They make tasty stuff that's bad for us, because it's cheap and sells well. But they only do that for as long as it sells. The reason we know McDonald's is bad for us is not because they told us out of love, it's because consumer rights groups worked hard and people watched documentaries about what is in their food. Back when Supersize Me was made, they did not display their nutritional information, for example.

What on earth are you talking about? McDonald's had their nutrition information available well before Super Size Me was made in 2004. They had pamphlets with all the information right there in the stores for everyone to read.

I'm not sure how you can keep claiming people didn't have access to the information when it was right there, available to everyone who walked in to the restaurant. They would even give you one at the drive-thru if you asked.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

... That's really weird, because you quoted what I said and then made up a quote, making it seem like I was responding to the statement "you're responsible for your own health" instead of what I was actually responding to, which was a comment made by someone else that referred to different points. Interesting debating tactic!

Is "you're responsible for your own health" really that different from "everyone is personally responsible"? I'll admit I was paraphrasing, but do you think those statements are really that different?
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer that if everyone minded their OWN business, the world would be an amazingly happy place.

And because this is too awesome not to share
    jedi-cats-gif.gif
    [/quote]

OMGS! Thank you! That was definitely, too awesome not to share. Lol
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    On a sesame SEED bun.

I editorially stand corrected. Thank you::)
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

Your comments about the Occupy Wall Street movements are similar.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Nobody forces you to eat fast food. Just saying
    Exactly! People who feed their children a diet of mainly fast food, are not doing it because they have to. They reason that they have no time to cook, or that they can't cook, or the child is a picky eater, therefore, they have to pick up fast food for a meal. Learn to cook. If you can read and follow directions, than you can cook. If you don't have a lot of time, pre-make and freeze food when you do have time. I do this a lot. If the kid is a picky eater? My parents gave us two choices: take it or leave it. We didn't starve to death.

Completely and whole heatedly agree. My kids made it to 5 and 3 with the same eat it or go away form the table hungry and neither of them are dead. I had the same choice as a kid. And learning to cook is as easy as pulling up the internet.

BTW it is usually cheaper to cook a meal at home then it is to go out and order food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I didn't say vendor were responsbile.for anyone's weight or health.

But others have and the only point I was trying to make is that people are responsible for their own situation. Also, I agree that a healthy diet is definable. What I don't agree with is labeling everything at McDonalds "crap" and labeling everything at a co-op "healthy". The implication in some posts in this thread is that eating at McDonalds is "eating crap" and is not "eating healthy", regardless of what you eat and how much of it you eat, whereas I think it's certainly possible to eat at McDonalds as part of a "healthy diet." To the extent people want to talk about a lack of education contributing to the obesity epidemic, I'd argue that attaching useless labels like "crap" and "healthy" to specific food choices evidences such a lack of education and simply adds misinformation to the discussion.

I agree with most of that, though I think the misinformation and confusion come from people try to extrapolate every food that is not a "healthy food" to be an "unhealthy food" or that it can't be part of a "healthy diet". As if the world of healthy eating is all black and white.