NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lowest quality? How do you figure? They use low quality cows and chickens to make their 100% beef burgers, wraps and sandwiches?
    Um . . . yes they do.

Frankly, why aren't we mad at the FDA? That impotent, bloated, and corrupt agency allows high fructose corn syrup. And a host of other ****ty, harmful crap.

But that's another thread for different rant.

Um.. no they don't. :noway: :noway:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Actually, McDonald's earnings are shrinking and they have been making efforts to change their menu. With that said, I HATE McDonald's. My kids love it. The get it as a treat every once in awhile.

But I agree with some posters that this is not a black and white argument. The problem with cheap, processed, carb heavy foods like McD's is that you get the most calorie for your buck. Not nutrition. But it fills bellies and for the poor, it's a viable option and they are more likely to eat there 2-3 times a day because it's cheap food that makes you feel full whereas the brussels sprouts at the grocery are almost $4 per pound (non-organic). I'm lucky that I can afford healthy, nutritious food for my kids. I do not judge those who can't. I just think that there is some gray area that a lot of the posters on this thread don't recognize. Personal responsibility yes. Does McDonald's 'make' people fat, no. Are they part of a system that benefits from the high cost of healthy food and decreasing real wages of the middle class, yes. I'm guessing most of the personal responsibility people also hate Obamacare. People gonna be needing it if we can't make real food more affordable.

I'm sorry, but I don't need the federal government telling me what I can eat, drink, or what kind of medical services I'm entitled to.

Look at what is going on with the VA... that is what you get with federally-provided health care. The government deciding who gets what services because government-provided resources are limited.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As if individuals were always going be in a position to "react intelligently" to fast food propaganda, ease-of-access, poverty, depression and corporate lobbying.

This idea that "people should know better" coming from the USA - I should remind you with one of the most terrible/expensive education system in the world, where more money is spent on military than education, or where the most idiotic debates regarding whether or not creationism should be taught in school are still happening - simply makes me laugh.
    Does it really feel to anyone that people are actually getting smarter? Are in a better place to make decisions than they were years ago due to a combination of factors?

It's OK to expect people to be intelligent if you allow them to get a proper education, but it really doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Because throwing money at education created a better product ... right? If you bother to read the Constitution you might notice that the military is a federal responsibility while education is a state/local issue (that pesky 10th amendment thing that big government types tend to ignore).

Don't bother, he's not from the US so our Constitution means nothing to him. He also seems to enjoy making sweeping generalizations about an education system he likely knows nothing about other than what he sees in the news.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Equal Opportunity Eating:

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way....Have it your way at Burger King!

burger-king-de-olho-em-voce.gif

Nice. Haven't heard that jingle for many years as well:)
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Look at what is going on with the VA... that is what you get with federally-provided health care. The government deciding who gets what services because government-provided resources are limited.

Actually, many countries have great government-funded healthcare, including many strong capitalist places. What is happening with the VA etc. is because of the American political climate, not because of the possibilities of government healthcare. Ask the Scandinavians. Even though the Brits complain about the NHS, they'd never go without it.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Actually, McDonald's earnings are shrinking and they have been making efforts to change their menu. With that said, I HATE McDonald's. My kids love it. The get it as a treat every once in awhile.

But I agree with some posters that this is not a black and white argument. The problem with cheap, processed, carb heavy foods like McD's is that you get the most calorie for your buck. Not nutrition. But it fills bellies and for the poor, it's a viable option and they are more likely to eat there 2-3 times a day because it's cheap food that makes you feel full whereas the brussels sprouts at the grocery are almost $4 per pound (non-organic). I'm lucky that I can afford healthy, nutritious food for my kids. I do not judge those who can't. I just think that there is some gray area that a lot of the posters on this thread don't recognize. Personal responsibility yes. Does McDonald's 'make' people fat, no. Are they part of a system that benefits from the high cost of healthy food and decreasing real wages of the middle class, yes. I'm guessing most of the personal responsibility people also hate Obamacare. People gonna be needing it if we can't make real food more affordable.

I'm sorry, but I don't need the federal government telling me what I can eat, drink, or what kind of medical services I'm entitled to.

Having lived my whole life in Northern Ireland and received excellent care from the publicly funded National Health Service if required, I obviously have a very different mind set to you regarding health care. If everyone's taxes fund it, we're all entitled to use it.
    That's fine, - different culture etc - no need to argue.
    But can I ask what the VA is that you're referring to?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

McDonalds is not a person, it is a company. Consumers demand good quality products from the company, and in exchange they buy those products. Nobody's feeling are being hurt. They still sell a lot of crap. They are changing, but only so far as the pressure is maintained. Why? Because if they can fob people off with cheap stuff, they make more money. Consumers have to be vigilant.

Consumers aren't making these demands in mass. But, I agree, they do have to be vigilant IF they want changes. So they have to make that choice to take responsibility for what they perceive as a problem. Now we are getting somewhere....
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This thread is taking quite a turn here but I would like to interject. Yes, other countries have wonderful success with government funded programs but here, in the US, it simply will not fly. I was speaking with a coworker about a similar issue with drug legalization. This idea may have great strides in other countries but here, we are a country of pleasure, excess, and cultural laziness. For a vast majority, it will not work. We would rather seek pleasure in free government funded programs that work to put forth tax dollars to fund them. Our society is just not ready for "the common good".

Now of course, that is a very broad generalization about government programs and has nothing to do with McDonald's. I feel bad for McDonald's. They are the go-to scapegoat for the "big bad fast food monsters". No one demonizes Taco Bell or Subway like they do McDonald's.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Having lived my whole life in Northern Ireland and received excellent care from the publicly funded National Health Service if required, I obviously have a very different mind set to you regarding health care. If everyone's taxes fund it, we're all entitled to use it.

VA stands for Veterans Affairs. It's the health care system provided to current and former American soldiers.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/04/19/audit-links-3-deaths-to-atlanta-va-mismanagement.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/28/va-wait-times-veterans-shinseki-inspector-general/9671241/

*edited to add more recent article.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

It annoys me when people assume someone's political opinions on other issues issues based on their opinion on one single issue.

It also annoys me when people on the internet, a worldwide medium, assume everyone is American or that everywhere else in the world is just like America.

I'm British, I support the arguments for taking personal responsibility for the health outcomes of lifestyle decisions, and not blaming companies that sell so-called "junk" foods (no-one's forced to eat those foods and it's totally possible to eat them in moderation and stay healthy)... and I also support the NHS (national health service, which is free to all British residents) and hope no government gets rid of it or runs it into the ground. I have no opinion on obamacare because I'm not American. I think it's pretty bad that so many Americans are going without healthcare, for both minor and major health issues, because they can't afford it - I have no idea whether obamacare will successfully address that problem or not, but I hope it or something similar can do that.
  • PRMinx
    Options

It annoys me when people assume someone's political opinions on other issues issues based on their opinion on one single issue.

It also annoys me when people on the internet, a worldwide medium, assume everyone is American or that everywhere else in the world is just like America.

I'm British, I support the arguments for taking personal responsibility for the health outcomes of lifestyle decisions, and not blaming companies that sell so-called "junk" foods (no-one's forced to eat those foods and it's totally possible to eat them in moderation and stay healthy)... and I also support the NHS (national health service, which is free to all British residents) and hope no government gets rid of it or runs it into the ground. I have no opinion on obamacare because I'm not American. I think it's pretty bad that so many Americans are going without healthcare, for both minor and major health issues, because they can't afford it - I have no idea whether obamacare will successfully address that problem or not, but I hope it or something similar can do that.

^Right. On.

People making broad assumptions about people's overall political views based on one issue are what's wrong with civil debate in this country.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

^Right. On.

People making broad assumptions about people's overall political views based on one issue are what's wrong with civil debate in this country.

I can definitely agree with this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Do you honestly think that same thing doesn't go on in private hospitals? One the news this morning they were saying, in a shocked and outraged voice, how some Veterans had to wait 1 - 3 months for an appt. That's actually probably better than the national average for some specialties. But, the government doesn't decide who get services, the govt paid physicians do.

And yes, the problem with govt provided resources are that they are funded by tax dollars, so funds are limited. More VHA facilities and more VHA doctors means more tax dollars. Americans don't like more taxes.
  • kirili3
    Options

Now of course, that is a very broad generalization about government programs and has nothing to do with McDonald's. I feel bad for McDonald's. They are the go-to scapegoat for the "big bad fast food monsters". No one demonizes Taco Bell or Subway like they do McDonald's.

I suppose one answer is that it's because they're such a big company. For example, GlaxoSmithKline get targeted when people discuss Big Pharma, because they're such a big player. They make the most money out of the game, they are also the most visible players, and that's how they make their profit so it doesn't hurt them.

McDonalds doesn't get hurt feelings or even lose money by making healthier products.

Subway actually markets themselves on being healthy and have responded to consumers too, such as removing chemicals from their bread.

Taco Bell are not nearly as global a brand as those two.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For the "McDonald's is EVIL crowd":

You do realize that if you went to a small corner mom-and-pop restaurant and ordered burgers and fries....you'd still be eating the same amount of calories right that you'd get at McD's right? You do realize you'd still get fat if you did that every day right?

I would like you to frame this argument replacing McDonald's with the faces of those Southern Moms and Pops that serve fried porkbellies, chitlins, ribs, corncobs soaked in transfat "butter."

Go and get your protest face on and "occupy" the street corners in front of those restaurants. Call them evil. Thought not. It's just a lot easier to "occupy" evil, faceless companies.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My bad on the international perspectives. But the fast food debate is largely an American one as is obesity. I was speaking as an American with an admittedly far left liberal bias. As well as an American who believes in personal responsibility as well as strong government oversight - like many of our Western European brothers and sisters. I apologize for seeing issues affecting my neighbors thru my lens.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    [
    VA stands for Veterans Affairs. It's the health care system provided to current and former American soldiers.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/04/19/audit-links-3-deaths-to-atlanta-va-mismanagement.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/28/va-wait-times-veterans-shinseki-inspector-general/9671241/

*edited to add more recent article.

Thanks for that - interesting read.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The VA is the Department of Veterans Affairs. They provide healthcare to military service members who have separated from service. They are separate from the Department of Defense and receive funding directly from the government. They have been under fire for years now for not providing adequate and timely services to those who come to them for help - not necessarily the organization as a whole, but VA offices in different states. Like any other healthcare system or hospital, some are awesome, and some plain suck. And like any other healthcare system or hospital, they also have people with legitimate complaints and others who are just mad that things aren't going the way they want them to.
  • kirili3
    Options
    For the "McDonald's is EVIL crowd":

You do realize that if you went to a small corner mom-and-pop restaurant and ordered burgers and fries....you'd still be eating the same amount of calories right that you'd get at McD's right? You do realize you'd still get fat if you did that every day right?

I would like you to frame this argument replacing McDonald's with the faces of those Southern Moms and Pops that serve fried porkbellies, chitlins, ribs, corncobs soaked in transfat "butter."

Go and get your protest face on and "occupy" the street corners in front of those restaurants. Call them evil. Thought not. It's just a lot easier to "occupy" evil, faceless companies.

Nobody is saying any of that though.

... I mean, you are I guess, but you're trying to say other people are saying those things and nobody is. Nobody has called for a boycott of McDonalds, even, except the people who say that it's unhealthy so just don't eat there instead of asking them to change.
  • PRMinx
    Options

[/quote

McDonalds doesn't get hurt feelings or even lose money by making healthier products.

Do you work in the finance department at McDs?