Why is anti-intellectualism so rampant?

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    How do you (meaning any one of you) measure intelligence?

Buzzfeed quizzes like this one:

enhanced-26667-1398200353-2.jpg
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    If I answer correctly... do I get some sort of prize?

or is there a right answer...?

What counts as intelligence or valuable knowledge in some parts of the world... may not be so much in other places...
    And then there are all the different personality types out there.... that plays into the factor.
    besides are we not edumacated to be tolerable to everyone now a days?
    isn't there like a zero tolerance rule placed on us ... I think that includes the "intellectual"
    .......wait intellectual doesn't mean wise..... I wise person applies the knowledge they have in life and uses it....
    And I would be wise to not comment on these boards where people can be so mean :(
    plus I need a coffee and I don't really care about the topic... I guess I was filling time till my coffee was ready.
    - tola
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options

Buzzfeed quizzes like this one:

enhanced-26667-1398200353-2.jpg

Who said I was an intellectual at all?

That question aside, I am pretty intolerable.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I don't think there is a reliable way to measure it. Personally I think its best summed up as the basic curiosity that inspires a drive to want to learn, and the wherewithal to follow through and actually do it. The people I'd say are lacking are the ones who don't have any desire to know anything, and happy just drifting through, never thinking to question anything or anyone or to challenge themselves. The ones who just space off and watch things happen without ever asking why, or better yet wondering if there is a better way to make things happen.

Another question, but this one is for you: do you believe education takes away from a child's natural curiosity?

...Is this some kind of an interview? :D

I think it really depends on the style of education. Treating them all the same, ( in other words, making an entire class proceed at the speed of the slowest learner), and teaching them to pass a standardized test as opposed to letting them flex their brain muscles in a way that stimulates and motivates them can certainly destroy a child's natural drive to learn, imo.

In case its the direction your going with this, no, I don't think it has to follow that an adult needs to continue on that basis. Lots of kids were bored out of their minds and even oppressed by institutional education. Myself among them. Doesn't mean its a permanent outcome.

Standardized testing is necessary to ensure that a foundation is built upon which intellectual creativity can flourish. Without the basics of mathematics, grammar, spelling, and the scientific method, children won't have the skills necessary to add to our research, knowledge, and creative literature. I view the anti-standardized testing arguments as nothing more than an excuse for failure. The solution to boredom is advanced and AP classes, and magnet schools, and they are available.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I don't think there is a reliable way to measure it. Personally I think its best summed up as the basic curiosity that inspires a drive to want to learn, and the wherewithal to follow through and actually do it. The people I'd say are lacking are the ones who don't have any desire to know anything, and happy just drifting through, never thinking to question anything or anyone or to challenge themselves. The ones who just space off and watch things happen without ever asking why, or better yet wondering if there is a better way to make things happen.

Another question, but this one is for you: do you believe education takes away from a child's natural curiosity?

I think it really depends on the style of education. Treating them all the same, ( in other words, making an entire class proceed at the speed of the slowest learner), and teaching them to pass a standardized test as opposed to letting them flex their brain muscles in a way that stimulates and motivates them can certainly destroy a child's natural drive to learn, imo.

In case its the direction your going with this, no, I don't think it has to follow that an adult needs to continue on that basis. Lots of kids were bored out of their minds and even oppressed by institutional education. Myself among them. Doesn't mean its a permanent outcome.

Standardized testing is necessary to ensure that a foundation is built upon which intellectual creativity can flourish. Without the basics of mathematics, grammar, spelling, and the scientific method, children won't have the skills necessary to add to our research, knowledge, and creative literature. I view the anti-standardized testing arguments as nothing more than an excuse for failure. The solution to boredom is advanced and AP classes, and magnet schools, and they are available.

Hmm, I don't agree with this part. Passing a test does not mean that you fully grasp a concept, and failing one doesn't mean you didn't. Some kids test well, some kids don't. I'm not necessarily anti-standardized testing, but I don't think the way it's set up now is the best way.

My seven year old is one of those children that is *amazing* at recognizing patterns. When we initially started homeschooling, we used a computer based program that ended every lesson in a quiz of sorts. She would ace every quiz/test that came her way - but she was learning nothing. She was using her ability to find hidden patterns within the tests. I thought she was like a prodigy, but she was really just cheating the system.

Standardized tests aren't any part of the reason we chose to homeschool, but teaching all kids in one way, was. The same seven year old is a visual/spacial learner - which is a really hard learning style to teach and most kids who learn like this fall through the cracks at school.

So I don't test my kids when we finish a lesson. Since it's a 1 to 2 environment, I know when they do and do not understand what I've taught them. As they get older, I will test them more so they are prepared for college.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Hmm, I don't agree with this part. Passing a test does not mean that you fully grasp a concept, and failing one doesn't mean you didn't. Some kids test well, some kids don't. I'm not necessarily anti-standardized testing, but I don't think the way it's set up now is the best way.

My seven year old is one of those children that is *amazing* at recognizing patterns. When we initially started homeschooling, we used a computer based program that ended every lesson in a quiz of sorts. She would ace every quiz/test that came her way - but she was learning nothing. She was using her ability to find hidden patterns within the tests. I thought she was like a prodigy, but she was really just cheating the system.

Standardized tests aren't any part of the reason we chose to homeschool, but teaching all kids in one way, was. The same seven year old is a visual/spacial learner - which is a really hard learning style to teach and most kids who learn like this fall through the cracks at school.

So I don't test my kids when we finish a lesson. Since it's a 1 to 2 environment, I know when they do and do not understand what I've taught them. As they get older, I will test them more so they are prepared for college.

sounds objective
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's not "being a nerd", it's not being ignorant...

I wasn't aware that anti-intellectualism was rampant. It certainly isn't in my circles. Maybe you ought to reconsider the people with whom you socialize and the places you frequent.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

sounds objective

Just because I'm referencing a personal situation doesn't mean I'm being subjective about something. I've done lots of research on this - I had to before making such a drastic change in our lives. And during that research I was completely objective. I don't hate public school. My oldest was in public school and I'm thankful for the teachers she had in her life during that time. This isn't some personal hate agenda for the public school system.

Like I said, I don't think standardized testing is an inherently bad thing - it just shouldn't be the sole indicator of a fundamental understanding of a subject. And nor should the results indicate the success of the teacher.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

sounds objective

Just because I'm referencing a personal situation doesn't mean I'm being subjective about something. I've done lots of research on this - I had to before making such a drastic change in our lives. And during that research I was completely objective. I don't hate public school. My oldest was in public school and I'm thankful for the teachers she had in her life during that time. This isn't some personal hate agenda for the public school system.

Like I said, I don't think standardized testing is an inherently bad thing - it just shouldn't be the sole indicator of a fundamental understanding of a subject. And nor should the results indicate the success of the teacher.

I think testing is a necessary part of education. I don't particularly like home schooling for a variety of reasons, but my biggest worry, if I was to do it, would be making sure that my children exceeded objective markers for success and that my own personal bias wasn't the sole judgment I used to gauge their success. Kids either learn math or they don't. They either understand the scientific method or they don't. I'm all for creative thinking and pushing children to appreciate the arts, but there are certain things that absolutely can and should be objectively measured. They ultimately will be tested when it comes time to take the SATs and I'd rather have my children trained to be excellent test takers, in addition to learning how to think creatively. Those skills are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

Edit: I softened my wording. I am pro-testing but I'm not second guessing what you think is best for your kids. I simply disagree.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    You're not even testing your children. I don't particularly like home schooling for a variety of reasons, but my biggest worry, if I was to do it, would be making sure that my children exceeded objective markers for success and that my own personal bias wasn't the sole judgment I used to gauge their success. Kids either learn math or they don't. They either understand the scientific method or they don't. I'm all for creative thinking and pushing children to appreciate the arts, but there are certain things that absolutely can and should be objectively measured. They ultimately will be tested when it comes time to take the SATs and I'd rather have my children trained to be excellent test takers, in addition to learning how to think creatively. Those skills are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

My kids are 7 and 9 - why do I need to test them when I'm literally sitting right next to them as they complete their worksheets, writing prompts, and lessons? Once they show proficiency in a concept, we move on to the next (and we often revisit concepts to just reinforce the concept and show how it ties into other things). I know what they know and where their weaknesses are.

You're assuming that my approach to homeschooling is butterflies and Mozart - it's not. We meet or exceed the state standards for their grade level every year. I make sure their educational goals are similar to their peers - while having the luxury to include other things like art, music, etc.

I've said it previously, but I'll say it again. They *will* start tests when I feel it's age appropriate (likely middle school) so they are prepared for their SAT's and college.

Many people have a negative view of homeschooling. But they rarely consider that every family approaches it differently so sweeping generalizations aren't very accurate. My kids could easily "test" above their grade level - while they explain non-Newtonian fluids, how to measure density and how different joints in the body work.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    You didn't need to soften your wording - people question our decision and my ability alllll the time. It doesn't upset me anymore. If you met my kids, you'd get it.

Lots of people suck at "homeschooling" so I get the surprise and distaste for it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    People are
    a) afraid/intimidated by intelligence and ideas because it makes them feel bad about themselves for not having those thoughts. They feel inferior and don't want to. Also because
    b) being an intellectual--one who enjoys thinking and ideas--takes work. It means not taking the easy route.
    I'm the first to admit that I don't think I'd pass a test to Mensa. Not that I have tried. On the other hand I don't care that much, because my time is limited and it isn't a thing I'd want to invest much energy in at the moment; just to say that I don't perceive it as a group of snobs at all.

What I do think, however, is that intelligence and being an intellectual is hard work, like you said. I don't want to be mediocre, but want to live up to my full potential. I might not succeed but I sure as heck will try and I don't mean this last portion as self-congratulatory at all, but I do think one must possess a certain level of self-acceptance and honesty to say "this is as far as my mind could take me". I don't think everyone has the balls to go out and explore how far their genetic makeup can take them, so they might settle for the mediocre.

Which brings me on to:
    Personally I don't care much for IQ tests. It's enough for me to do the laziness test; does someone try to live up to their potential or not? I see lots of people, who could do great things, but they are way too lazy to do anything at all. I personally perceive it as obligation to use what I was given and it can be hard at times to look at people, who just keep taking. They were gifted this beautiful life and they don't "give back".

As for school and education, Sir Ken Robinson has given a TEDtalk with monster viewer numbers at this point about school. I think everyone should watch it, teachers and decision-makers included. There are many other talks on education there, too, but that's the first I usually recommend.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    You didn't need to soften your wording - people question our decision and my ability alllll the time. It doesn't upset me anymore. If you met my kids, you'd get it.

Lots of people suck at "homeschooling" so I get the surprise and distaste for it.

You may be doing a great job. I'm not saying that you aren't. Without objective testing, however, there is no way for anyone to know. I personally want my kids tested regularly as I want to make damn sure that they understand the material in school, and I want them to practice test taking. It's as much of a skill as anything else and I want them accustomed to it.

ETA: And yea, I did need to soften it. The first statement definitely didn't properly convey my thinking and I am in no way insulting your approach with your kids.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

You may be doing a great job. I'm not saying that you aren't. Without objective testing, however, there is no way for anyone to know. I personally want my kids tested regularly as I want to make damn sure that they understand the material in school, and I want them to practice test taking. It's as much of a skill as anything else and I want them accustomed to it.

I guess I don't understand how you think objective testing shows proficiency in a subject more than a 1 on 1 education where the teacher is directly involved in every step of the process. It just doesn't seem, to me, why one would be superior to the other.

I agree that test taking is a skill. My kids do math drills every day - they are timed and must complete the problems in a minute or less. I do these drills because it pushes my kids and they love them - it also shows me where their weakness is. If we learn about something like the Revolutionary War, I ask them questions at the end of the lesson to not only make sure they understood what we learned, but to encourage critical thinking, and to draw their own conclusions on the information I give (I'm constantly telling them "use your context clues!").

So no, I don't formally test my kids, but I do have my own way of making sure that the concept is fully understood. I'll also randomly throw out questions about things we may have learned weeks ago to keep them on their toes, or surprise them with a math drill containing subtraction rather than fractions just to make sure they aren't forgetting the basics.

I'm not trying to defend myself, or prove that I'm awesome. I'm just trying to explain how we approach learning here.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's not "being a nerd", it's not being ignorant...

'Tis simple: ignorance is bliss. It's easier to live a life controlled by others/things 'outside of your hands' than to face the cruel reality of the world and take responsibility for yourself.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The internet is a big part of it too. It's been lowering IQs of students and normal people since 1995 and has all but killed civility in America if not elsewhere too. It's made stars of the illiterate and stupid thanks to youtube and now it's spread to the tv shows with all these reality shows featuring people barely smart enough to tie their shoes.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know that chicks dig nerds.

As long as they look rich in their leased beemers

I'm not really appreciative of the implication here that women are seeking rich above all else. Jeesh. We just ran straight into misogyny with this.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    A sapiosexual is someone sexually attracted to intelligence. I am one myself.

Amen sister
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I'm not really appreciative of the implication here that women are seeking rich above all else. Jeesh. We just ran straight into misogyny with this.

what a weak claim
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

This is how threads get derailed into pathetic nothingness. People must comment on the car crash and so it evolves into a train wreck. Way to go. Why not just ignore sh1t stirrers like that? I brought up wisdom versus intelligence earlier and sorry to say your move isn't wise in any way.