Is my body rebelling against weight loss?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've not been logging for long on my diary I'm new to this site and this particular food journal this week was me trying 5:2 since it's only two days of dieting. Those were actually planned foods. I'm talking about like the past month when I've been trying to lose weight. :) on average I eat a healthy breakfast of muesli and yogurt or cottage cheese. a high carb lunch with protein and veggies and dinner would be something like soya mince, veggies or chicken. Snacks are from dried fruit to beef jerky to protein shakes to cheese and fresh fruit. You're right I hadn't eaten well this week, it was a stressful week, but this has been going on for months not just this week. :)

Do a mean green juice fast drink twice the amount if you have to since you seen to want/need that feeling if being stuffed. Do it for a week and you will be healthier for it and down in weight. Don't forget the kale mmmm.
    I hope that's not horrible advice.

Mmm....Greens .... eeek....lol. I HATE greens. I will eat ALL vegetables except leafy greens, with the exception of lettuce. hehe but thanks for the advice regardless
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Mmm....Greens .... eeek....lol. I HATE greens. I will eat ALL vegetables except leafy greens, with the exception of lettuce. hehe but thanks for the advice regardless

I'm in the same boat... spinach and me have never bonded. I'm hoping I can work it or kale into a fruit shake eventually and just hide the stuff behind some tasty goodness.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day for two months to get to goal. Are you sure this goal is realistic? Are you positive you don't have an eating disorder? Because this sounds like you do. Plus, the hypotension and anemia can all be attributed to eating disorders, either bulimia or anorexia.
    Everyone else reading, what do you think?
    [/quote]

If you read carefully you will see that I said this was before I knew better. I most certainly DO NOT have anorexia, otherwise I would not have a belly like I do now. Or bulimia for that matter. Because seriously the thought of that DISGUSTS me. I've had anemia long before I was even overweight. Since that time I've been eating a lot more. 1700-1900 calories daily. I did not know at the time to which extent calories could be limited as I didn't do sufficient research at the time. :) and even though I am not eating 500 cals a day anymore, the dizzyness started then and has not gone away which lead me to believe that it has something to do with that. And perhaps something in my body changed as a result of that.
    [/quote]

Just keep in mind that eating disorders are not restricted to very thin people. I am not saying that you have one, but the common perception of a person with an eating disorder is that of an emaciated teenaged girl with self-esteem issues--which is not the case! All people are suggesting is that you speak to someone other than "just" a medical doctor to help you get a better idea of what your relationship with food might be. While other people insist that fasting is a healthy means of eating (and I'm not saying it is or it isn't) you do not seem to be going about it in a healthy way or in an informed manner. Good luck in finding a healthy and sustainable manner in which to reach your goals.

I don't even know what it feels like to be "hungry every minute of every day". If I'm hungry but don't eat, or am unable to eat, eventually the hunger passes.

How very nice for you. I imagine my hungry feeling had to do with my blood glucose imbalance. If a person's blood glucose level drops too much it can produce a feeling of ravenous hunger that is difficult to satiate. The problem is that many people eat the "wrong" things to fix that feeling, create a blood sugar spike and then have it drop suddenly--exacerbating the problem.

Oh, but I forgot--I'm ignorant and should just keep my fingers still.
    "That I know of" is the key issue with your statement.

People are kind of "damned if the do and damned if they don't" in your corner of the world, aren't they? Make a definitive statement and you're arrogant. Admit you don't know everything about a topic and you're an idiot who shouldn't speak up. Nice way to continue to stir pots and proclaim your superior knowledge as the sole authority in a thread.
    It seems as if you think like a food addict and assume that "eating anything" must entail eating lots of food and having no responsibility for a greater nutritional profile.

Wow. Just . . . wow. And may I add . . . wow?

That's because you ultimately don't really know what you're talking about. Baring any major health issues, IFing is very safe. Lots of athletic people, people with above average fitness profiles, IF.
    [/quote]

I see. I'm glad you cleared up my confusion on my omniscience. Thank you.
    ummm.....posting different opinion on something doesn't always scream as "defense mode", or does it?

No, it typically means the person posting has a different perspective or just doesn't see the point in posting the 100th "I agree" post. :tongue:
  • Kitteneyes01
    Options
    The person above specifically ASSUMED I have anorexia or bulimia. :) ASK me if I have it, or if I think I have it, but don't TELL me I have it based on what you've read or assumed. Also. If you read correctly, I said I was trying fasting for a week, to see if I can stick with it. To try it. I have only been fasting for 2 days. This was because I know people who does this method prefers restricting two days instead of everyday, and I thought since I over eat most of the time, this would be ideal and easier. Thus it's a little soon to tell me that I'm not approaching it in a healthy way. The previous period when I restricted as much I understood it literally as calories in vs calories out and that's it. Besides that, I hadn't even considered that I was fasting at all. As I also said. Some of the answers made me realize that it may be due to me not being alert and "present" at all times. Also, I would like to add that I find this thread quite amusing even though my question has been answered long ago and it's still ongoing ;) unexpected.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    The person above specifically ASSUMED I have anorexia or bulimia. :) ASK me if I have it, or if I think I have it, but don't TELL me I have it based on what you've read or assumed. Also. If you read correctly, I said I was trying fasting for a week, to see if I can stick with it. To try it. I have only been fasting for 2 days. This was because I know people who does this method prefers restricting two days instead of everyday, and I thought since I over eat most of the time, this would be ideal and easier. Thus it's a little soon to tell me that I'm not approaching it in a healthy way. The previous period when I restricted as much I understood it literally as calories in vs calories out and that's it. Besides that, I hadn't even considered that I was fasting at all. As I also said. Some of the answers made me realize that it may be due to me not being alert and "present" at all times. Also, I would like to add that I find this thread quite amusing even though my question has been answered long ago and it's still ongoing ;) unexpected.

How can your question be answered when your story keeps changing? *shrugs*
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Everyday it's a new person to argue with.

Pot. Kettle

Still adds up to MYOB.

Cheers.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Options
    I've only been fasting for this week. As a last resort. Before this I've been cutting a very small amount daily (100-250 calories) in an attempt to fool myself into thinking that I'm eating @maintenance. But I guess my brain can't fool my brain :-/

My story keeps changing? How exactly? ^^ this is a quote I took from myself, something I've said on the first page of this thread. The only ones changing my story are the ones who don't seem to be able to READ correctly. :) sorry if I misunderstood you, but to me it seems you're implying that I keep changing my story. If not please correct me on what you meant.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Everyday it's a new person to argue with.

Pot. Kettle

Still adds up to MYOB.

Cheers.

I actually respond rudely to threads. You actually spend countless post arguing back and forth. Kind of surprised considering you're not a kid anymore you sure like to argue like one.

As someone apparently much wiser than I once said (and I'm paraphrasing) no one is forcing you to read what I write. If you don't like my posts you can always put me on ignore.

OP, I honestly don't care any longer. I said what I did because I was concerned about your health. I truly believe that you need to talk to a medical professional and a mental health counselor about your relationship with food before going on to "tricking yourself" or any other unhealthy means of eating. Eating at a deficit is what will help you lose weight. C'est tout. Log your food, if it helps or wave your magic wand over your plate and disappear half the calories. It's all the same to me. You're determined to do as you wish, regardless of what other people say. So, because I'm not getting $90 for a 50-minute hour with you, it's here that I nod and say, "If that's what you want, it sounds like a plan."
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    When I first started putting on weight in college, I "I can't"ed myself into a 40lb weight gain - getting myself down to 800-1000 calories per day for about a week and then eating more than ever after I couldn't sustain it. Since I've started doing this the healthy and sustainable way, I've lost almost 20lb in about 10 weeks. Since you have less to lose, your loss will be slower. Eat filling foods, make it a goal to lose at a reasonable rate (0.5lb/wk), and it'll come off. If may take you a couple of months, but it'll happen.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I only had time to read the first page, so forgive me if this has been suggested, but if you can't seem to eat 250 cals/day less, what about burning 250 cals/day more? Go for a 30 minute run every day and just keep eating at maintenance. Either way you're creating a calorie deficit and the weight will come off.

This. Really great advice if you feel like you're at your limits as far as cutting calories goes.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

How very nice for you. I imagine my hungry feeling had to do with my blood glucose imbalance. If a person's blood glucose level drops too much it can produce a feeling of ravenous hunger that is difficult to satiate. The problem is that many people eat the "wrong" things to fix that feeling, create a blood sugar spike and then have it drop suddenly--exacerbating the problem.

Oh, but I forgot--I'm ignorant and should just keep my fingers still.

Nobody told you to keep your fingers still. So what if you're ignorant on a topic? We're all ignorant about something.

And thanks for the blood sugar 101 lesson, but unfortunately I'm well aware as my mother and grandfather were both diabetic, with my mom losing the use of her kidneys due to diabetic complications.

The point was that while incorporating fasting might prove difficult for someone who is "hungry every minute of everyday", and depending on health issues even ill advised, it doesn't mean that folding in fasting isn't completely healthy, and sustainable, for other people. The disagreement arose based off the notion that because it might not be best for you, or people in your boat, that it's somehow inherently disordered or unsustainable.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I truly thought this message board was going to be different...supportive...caring...uplifting...compassionate....I think I will stick with the love and support from my family and friends...I wish you all well and may your journey be blessed with many gifts..
    What? That is plain silly. Which posts are you referring to?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I truly thought this message board was going to be different...supportive...caring...uplifting...compassionate....I think I will stick with the love and support from my family and friends...I wish you all well and may your journey be blessed with many gifts..

there's a big thread rolling with similiar title, posted by this poster. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

there's a big thread rolling with similiar title, posted by this poster. :)
    Noooooooo. :bigsmile:

That poster has a deactivated account.