WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 55 and ready to get this weight off.
  • evangelistjcmayo
    evangelistjcmayo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Jeanette. I am trying to stay on track and would love to loose 50 pounds before my 50 birthday. I like the support I see on this board and I am willing to give that same level as I myself need someone to keep and sometimes whip me in shape. I am focused on exercising everday, as that has been my biggest problem , not doing anything. Good night and I look forward to making new friends.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Tomorrow morning at 6:00 I meet with three of my dance friends to drive to the all day line dance workshop I go to every year. I don’t do the driving----the three of us who are passengers share the cost and give the driver cash to cover expenses. We’ll dance from 8 AM to 10 PM and stay in a motel before driving home in the morning. We’ll learn a bunch of new dances and have time to dance familiar dances during the day. They serve snacks all day and we pay for an evening meal. I’ll bring my own snacks so I don’t find myself eating unhealthy things because I’m tired or hungry.

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: Teaching line dance this morning was fun again.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

:bigsmile: 29,000 steps today
    three and half minute plank

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Gloria,I'm right there with you.......haven't lost since March & that was 2lb.

You are way younger,so will prob lose a good amount one of these days,then settle into a losing pattern.
    I have come to believe that menopause really does a number on many of us,with weight,poor sleep & memory leading the parade.
    They all grabbed me & never let go.:noway:

Yes,I agree.How we feel is how we feel & a pat on the shoulder is no help.

Glad your son is happy about the trip to Fl.Hoping you both have a wonderful time.Our older DD left one day after last day of school
    to spend 3 wks in Fl with her Sister & other family. She sent me the pic of flowers on her Sis fence.
    Pat in Ohio
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. I spent the day in Lincoln at a conference and came home with a sore throat. The conference was a bit dull but I did learn a fair amount about the legal aspects of admissions processes in college, specifically nursing programs. So it was worthwhile. I spent the night finishing my book The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan, one of my favorite authors.

Cathy: please don’t be embarrassed. Ask for help and one day you’ll be the one helping someone else.

Rori: great nsv!!!

Joyce: I cant stand having my hair pulled through those caps. I nearly had to be sedated just to do it once. Never again!

Eileen: happy summer!

Jackie: welcome aboard!

Sandy: I once was prescribed Doxipin for depression and the smallest dose made me nearly comatose for three days. I came off that one right away!

Cynthia: keeping my fingers crossed for you at your workplace.

Pat: I take regular recipes and substitute truvia for the sugar and add wheat bran to up the fiber

Kim; I am so sorry you have been wounded and hurt. I am sending you peaceful thoughts!

Gloria: I understand the feeling of not wanting old friends to see you not at your best. Be the strong confident woman I know you are and your friends will be impressed with you

DeeDee Oh my gosh…so glad your son was not badly hurt. I hope your head ache goes away soon. Take care my friend

Jeanette: welcome to our group

I am in some kind of funk and haven’t exercised since Monday although yesterday all my shopping got me over 8000 steps, so that was ok. I seem to be finding ways to talk myself out of every exercise session I plan.

Well off to bed and hoping to feel better tomorrow since I have a camera class tomorrow. Take care meg from omaha
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been MIA but hope to post more regularly soon. I'm working to organize my house to make room for all the stuff from work, deciding what to keep and what to let go so the house can be neat and organized and uncluttered.

Got the blond taken out of my hair and the length all chopped off into a pixie,with very subtle highlights added back in, had my nails done with gel polish to help them grow, and a new pedicure to match in a nice pretty summery pink. Hopefully the new look and extra time will be what I need to get back on the program. I have about twenty more hours of work to finish one last project, then I will be officially retired.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD: It is amazing how obnoxious some people can be. :grumble: Your story makes me appreciate my own relatives in a whole new way. Yes, they can be obnoxious, as can I, but they aren’t mean spirited. I hope you are able to release your anger. Bottling it up inside will only harm you, which adds insult to injury. Perhaps you should set up an answering machine to screen calls and let the nasty calls be someplace easy to erase. That way you can still be in touch with loved ones without listening to the negativity.:flowerforyou:

Judymari: Welcome! You have to find the motivation inside yourself. We can give you encouragement. You deserve to be healthy and happy, but as I’ve discovered, the healthy part takes work. It is worth it!:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Prayers for your son in law. Rant here all you want. You’ll have lots of people who agree with you and count me as first in line.:flowerforyou:

Jen in NY: Just keep at it. Each day doesn’t have to be perfect, but string together a bunch of good efforts and you’ll see results.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You are a temptress. :devil: "Triple chocolate brownie batter with chocolate chops and gooey chocolate cream…" :tongue: (this is my tongue hanging out and drooling.)

Jeanette: Welcome to a great group. Stick around a while. I hope you will be both persistent in your efforts and also patient with yourself. Success is a sure thing if you work at it long term, but it is not fast. The weight took time getting onto our bodies, and it takes time to go away. It took me a year to lose my last 20 pounds, and they are staying gone! The first 50 pounds took a long time to disappear, too. I’ve been here for quite a while and plan to stay on for a lot longer. This is a wonderfully supportive group.:flowerforyou:

This has been a quiet day for me. I’ve spent time knitting and reading between running errands. I really should take the dog for a walk and get some exercise.

Be well and safe.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hair cut and hi-lite day today. It looks and feels much better.

Meg and Joyce....I've done the pull-through-the-cap thing too. OUCH! But now she does a foil wrap kind on thing. You look like a space alien for awhile, but it doesn't hurt at all and turns out nicely. I don't have any grey hair, but my natural color is mousy brown and it looks a lot better when it's lightened some.

It's great to see new faces. You'll love it on this forum. No body is ever negative like on some of the others.

Eileen near San Diego
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Well today hubby and I took Joel (gs) to the local zoo, or more like a wildlife preserve. Anyway I got a good 2 hrs of
    exercise by pushing a stroller and lifting a 30 lb child in and out of it. We had a great time, We are down to 2 wks until
    he moves to Colorado.:cry::sad::brokenheart:

There was a guy at my church that used to gain a lot of wght and then lose it until he looked anorexic and then
    gained it back again many times. That's what he was known for, when someone mentions his name they'd say
    "oh he's the guy who gained and lost wght all the time". So when that lady made the comment to me about losing wght
    again(even though I only lost a significant amount of wght one other time), I don't want to be known as the lady
    who lost and gained weight all the time. The lady that said that to me did not mean it in a bad way. I'll have to make
    it my mantra "No more AGAINS".

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Brenda from Md
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Kim: sorry to hear about your family. Hope it’s not too bad.
    Sue: same for you.
    Pat in Ohio: I’m similar in that I don’t want to drop calories (I enjoy eating too much!) and that makes for slow losses. It went pretty fast when I started, but now I notice I hang around the same weight for a few weeks, and then drop a bit.
    Judymari: try just logging everything, even the “bad stuff” and even if you go over your calories for the day. For me that’s been the key to progress.
    Gloria: so glad to see you again, sweetie. Take it easy and take care of yourself.
    DeeDee: agree totally about people on the road. Glad the accident wasn’t worse.
    Jen: I stopped two lanes of traffic once because a mother swan and her babies were crossing. Not saying that to toot my own horn, but some people just have to do these things. Glad to hear you encountered one, too!
    Joyce: doughnuts! Love ‘em. Luckily I can’t get them anywhere nearby, or I’d be in trouble. :grumble:
    Barbie: I think I’d like line dancing, once I get my new knee. But I’m really a “funk” queen at heart. :bigsmile:
    Meg: you’re busy! Thanks for the good wishes and thinking of you as well.
    Katie: do you have a pic of your new look?
    Eileen: I’ve had the foil method too. At the moment I just have my hair colored; the sun makes the highlights for me. Easy and cheap.

I dreamed about job problems. This is really stressing me out; I want to keep my job.

Good news: my weight finally dropped again, 0.8 kg (1,8 pounds); now I’m at minus 15.4 kg (34 pounds). Unofficially I’ve lost more, since I weighed 2-3 kg (4.4-6.6) pounds before I started with Fitbit and MFP.

I'm putting geraniums in on the two balconies I have. Debating whether or not I'll enter some kind of gardening on my Fitbit, or just let it count the movements I make. Any ideas?

Hope everybody has a good day! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Hi folks!
    One of those pesky pounds is gone!:drinker: One more to go and I'm back to my fighting weight.:bigsmile: I couldn't wait to show it back on my ticker!:tongue:

Brenda - I sooooo feel for you losing your grandson to Colorado.:brokenheart: They are certainly a workout, aren't they. I am always stiff after our visits from carrying round an 8 month old.:love:

Katie - Happy Retirement! ! ! ! ! I truly believe this is the best time of our lives!:drinker:

Barbie- your line dance workshop sounds fabulous!:flowerforyou:

Jeanette - Welcome! TRACK every single bite. Start small with the exercising and work your way up. That way you won't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:

Sandy - You will get that 4 lbs off in no time. The cardioboxing sounds great!

Joyce - :flowerforyou: I haven't had a doughnut in many years and have no desire for one, but I would walk right across town for a slice of runny, stinky cheese! ! ! !:laugh: :laugh: :tongue:

Deedee - oh boy, what a nightmare! I hope your headache clears up soon. I wish your DSIL a good recovery. Far too much use of phones on the road. Or people falling asleep.

I made 16 granary rolls yesterday which were PERFECT.:blushing: The best I've ever made.:tongue: 14 of them are in the freezer. We are having one each for lunch todsy. Mine is 270 cals plus filling. :happy: The rest are ready for all the guests I am expecting this month.:happy: :drinker:
    Yesterday my lovely DSIL rang to say she thought she could squeeze in a visit next weekend.:drinker: She is the one with the son who has left his wife for a young woman and is digging himself into debt, invluding to his sister. My DSIL has been doing her best to help out with the granddaughter, but she does not live near snd the breakup is getting ugly. He has broken his ankle in two places so he is only on basic pay now and can't do extra shifts.:cry: He got a lift from his new girlfriend who has moved in with him to pick up the child so his wife can work and when the wife found out she came raging down to the car and there was a screaming match on the pavement in front of their daughter.:brokenheart: The wife didn't let the child go with them so couldn't go to work herself.:noway: DSIL is going to try to help next week and hopes to get down to us afterwards. She will need a glass of wine when she gets here!:wink:

So I am now planning for three or four dinner parties. Today I am making Chicken with Chinese Mushrooms for our dinner, so I will make double for DSIL'S visit and freeze it. DH is going to make a gooseberry crumble with our own prolific gooseberries. I will also make today a low calorie, Raspberry, Yoghourt and Choc Chip Ice cream today. That will be a start!:laugh: :bigsmile: I am going to book Sunday lunch at our favourite pub because we can always cancel if we decide to do something else. It is opposite quite a nice walk, so we can work up an appetite.

We had a lot of rain this morning, but it is sunny now. Good growing weather. Katla - I caught a lot of slugs and snails in my beer traps! Some huge ones - they died happy!

Bye for now! Hesther in fertile Hampshire UK
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Up early again. Guess this is what I need these days. I don't get tired as the day goes by.. I signed up for a Yoga class before my Zumba workout today. I thought it would help to do some extra stretching.

Yesterday I finished chapter 3 of my Exercise Instructor's manual. I have to go back to two chapters and write up the definitions and watch the DVD before moving on, but I'm feeling better about my progress.

Tomorrow I'm attending a Zumba Gold Instructors training for another certification - one of my June Goals. It's going to be a long day and it's out of town so I have a two hour trip each way.

I just talked to a personal trainer I know at my gym about loosing some body fat, especially in my waist and hips. He said the on\ly way is by a calorie deficit, so I reduced my daily goal to 1525 fro 1850. I'm set for a half pound a week, which I thing is manageable. Plus I exercise six days a week..

Wish I knew more people here, but hello to megblair1 & yanniejannie. I hope you do well today.. .
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a Kathy Smith step DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some more on that Supreme 90 Day Challenge DVD set.

sandy - I think we all have our good days and our bad days (maybe with the exception of barbie).

Joyce - I truly love reading your posts. You have so much going on in your life, but you are always positive and upbeat and have a great devotion to God. That's great

Heather - I love reading about your adventures.

Well, Vince and I started putting the riverrock under the deck today. This means that I first have to shovel the rock into the dumpcart on the tractor, Vince drives it around back, then I shovel it into the smaller cart we have and bring it up to where we dump it. In the meantime Vince has put out the landscape fabric and/or is spreading the rock. I also shoveled some of the mulch that is there now and brought it up to the front of the house, just because what was there is not there any longer. Guess we worked from 10 to about 2, then I came in and took a shower and went in the pool. Vince had something to eat and then we both went into the spa. I'm supposed to usher at the Green Room tonight.

barbie - what do you usually bring to pot lucks?

Pat - I make chocolate chip banana muffins, I also make a chocolate banana bundt cake. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to share those recipes.

peacelove - that is very good of your trainer not to work you to excess so that you give up.

katla - how right you are -- "we only fail if we quit"

Cindy in OK - thanks so much for sharing your workout. I'm always on the lookout for something new. I wish more people would post their workouts, I'd love to get new ideas. Today I did the step DVD. It seems (sort of) that if I have carbs (like a peiece of fruit) before I exercise that helps. You should have protein after a workout to help build the muscles, but I can't see anything wrong with having it before also.

Kim - good thoughts being sent your way. So sorry you are going thru this

Gloria - happy birthday to Aaron!

Cathy in NS - good for you tracking! "Just for today" is an awesome way to look at exercise

Sorry ladies. I truly meant to post last night, but our internet went down AGAIN. The technician is supposed to be here today. While he's here (and while we're waiting for him) I'm thinking that I'll go outside and put some of the rocks onto the tarp.

The play last night that I ushered at was really good. This is definitely one of my favorites.

Did 1 hr of Supreme 90 day challenge DVD. Actually, needed to do two DVD's, one for legs and the other was a cardio challenge. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some balance games on the Wii

DeeDee - so sorry you're not feeling well. I have this "thing" that I don't like using my phone while I'm driving. Oh, sometimes I'll answer it, but I know Jessica does lots of things with hers while she's driving, I won't

I was just working out and Vince came downstairs, pointed out to me that I don't want to be dressed like that (in my underwear). The last DVD was 35 minutes long, not the 30 I was anticipating. But I still came upstairs before 8

Sylvia - that's awesome that you get to the gym every day

ginal and evangelistjcm - welcome

Cynthia - I gained when my friends from Switzerland were here, and I'm with you, the first couple of pounds came off in no time at all. Now these last few stubborn pounds. Well, they'll come off (eventually). Big congrats on the weight loss

Joyce - we have a Krispy Kreme that just opened up right up the street from us. I very rarely go into Krispy Kreme. I usually only go to Dunkin Donuts for Vince. Oh, occasionally I'll have a DD for myself, but then I usually regret it because it feels so "yukky". You'll be getting that same feeling, too, in a short time.

Heather - you have me drooling!

Going to post this before I get too far behind. Hope everyone has a great day.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! We spent last night at the lake cabin. This morning when I got up I found the phone, ipad and hubby's computer were all unplugged. Hubby said he did that during the big storm, he was afraid the lightning would fry them. Huh? What storm? I slept right through the whole thing! And I wasn't even wearing my earplugs.

Thursday I just went to the GP's office to have the lady in the lab take my BP. (It was 136/52). I didn't get to see the doctor. But to be honest, I don't trust that doc when it comes to blood pressure. She just blows it off. That's one reason I want to talk to a cardiologist. The one I picked off Healthgrades was one who supposedly specializes in hypertension. I have a whole list of questions I want to ask him. I sure hope he's nicer than his receptionist was on the phone.

Michele, my ears perked up when I saw that you have friends from Switzerland. Growing up we were always told that our family came from France, but my cousin started doing research into our geneology a few years ago and found that they came from Switzerland instead. It was really interesting to hear all about it. Apparently we have a lot of relatives there.

Heather, congrats on losing that pound! That's really a feat, judging by what a good cook you are. One thing that has helped me lose weight is that I'm such a lousy cook.

Cynthia, congrats on your loss too. I'd be interested to see how fitbit handles gardening as exercise. MFP gives it lots of calories. I still haven't gotten a fitbit yet. Had to wait for a payday.

Brenda, gaining the weight back is terrifying. I've lost and gained many, many times, and usually gained twice what I lost! But I've never lost this much before. So the thought of gaining back 200 pounds is awful. But I kind of think that if I keep fixating on my weight it will stay gone. It's when I get comfortable and put my weight out of my mind that it comes back.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sylvia
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Dee Dee so sorry to hear of your sil accident hope he is better soon, here in ontario we now have stiff penaltys and you loose driver points off your licesnce if your caught using any handheld devise while driving, so no phone, texting, putting on makeup, even changing cds or drinking and eating behind the wheel, had to do something to many tradgedies for nothing.

juanita in sudbury

have a great weekend everyone
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: Congratulations on your losses. :drinker: I’ll keep sending good thoughts for job stability.:flowerforyou:

Heather & DeeDee: I agree that driver use of phones on the road is dangerous. Our state has laws against it, and I’ve seen less driving and phone holding, but there are still people out there doing the wrong thing. Texting is particularly dangerous because your eyes are on the screen and not the road.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Sorry to hear about your DSIL’s woes with her son.:flowerforyou:

47 Jacqueline: You’ll get to know more people if you post regularly. Setting a weight loss goal at half a pound a week is smart. The weight is more likely to stay off if it comes off slowly. It gives a person time to make new habits more permanent.:flowerforyou:

Michele: You do so many things! I am constantly in awe and admire how much you accomplish.:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m like you in the way of regaining weight. I’ve lost before and the weight came back because I didn’t really change my habits. I considered the diet temporary and when I’d achieved my goals I went back to the habits that caused the weight gain in the first place. That is why I’m still here and still counting calories. This is going to be my permanent lifestyle because I want to stay healthy.:flowerforyou:

It is overcast this morning, but we're supposed to have sunshine later. DH wants to go into Portland to a leather company for supplies. He's making a new purse for me. :bigsmile: :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    I too have lost a lot of weight three times and put it all back and more. A lifetime of tracking intake is the only answer for me.:cry:

My plan of going out for Sunday lunch next week is off. Father's Day! :sad: No way am I joining that jamboree! :noway:

I have made the chicken dish and I am about to freeze three fifths of it.:happy: DH'S crumble is in the freezer. :bigsmile: The delicious low sugar, low fat ice cream is next.:love:

We might go to the farmer's market tomorrow. Want to get my exercise in first though. We will go by train as the parking is a nightmare. I have a shopper on wheels.:laugh:

Love to all, Heather in Hampshire UK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Well it is cloudy and supposed to rain again today. Hope there are no severe storms though. I have been working on re-organizing and purging my files and ran across this paraphrase of the Serenity Prayer. It seemed to apply to my situation with my DH's cousin and her daughter. There are others here to whom it probably applies too.

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
    The courage to change the one I can
    And the wisdom to know that one is me.

Dee Dee - Glad everyone is okay. Distracted driving is the worst.

Heather - Sounds like you are gearing up to quite an entertainment schedule. Nice that your SIL can get a little break.

Planning on watching the Belmont Stakes today. Hope California Chrome can win it!

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

I am soooo sore today. Yesterday I did my weight workout and changed the number of reps for my plié squats from 10 to 15. Wow! Are my butt and inner thighs feeling it. Today was treadmill, 34 minutes and 15 minutes of yoga. I should have done more yoga but sat reading and sipping coffee too long.:ohwell: Tomorrow I will do weights for chest and back plus treadmill. Sometimes I take the walk/jog outside, but I like to read on the treadmill too!:laugh:

Michele, I do have my protein shakes after I do weights, I must not have worded that clearly. I usually have Greek yogurt before working out. The protein shakes are my usual breakfast each day. Sometimes Hubby wants real cooked food. I have a great whole wheat pancake recipe, or I may make omelettes, these are exceptions though.:smile:

Kim, I'm sorry your family is acting up. I do understand, mine had a mean streak too, particularly my mother. Remember, hurting people hurt people. That quote got me through a lot. Who you are has nothing to do with their words. Hugs.:heart:

DeeDee, so sorry about you DSIL. I also hope you feel better soon.:heart:

Sylvia, glad you got a good night sleep! Yes, taking care of our bodies is a lifetime commitment.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia, congratulations on your loss!:flowerforyou:

Welcome all new ladies. Congrats to those with victories, hugs to those struggling.

Cindy in OK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I've fallen behind on posting the jokes. Here are a couple I missed.

:happy:

A pilot landed a plane with a rather bumpy landing. As part of his job he was required to stand by the terminal door and say goodbye to the passengers as they exited the airplane. He was afraid that someone might say something about his rather less than perfect landing, but everyone left without saying a word except for one passenger, an elderly lady, she slowly approached the pilot after most passengers had exited the plane and asked, "Did we land? Or were we shot down?"

:laugh:

TEACHER: Why are you late, Frank?

FRANK: Because of the sign.

TEACHER: What sign?

FRANK: The one that says, "School Ahead, Go Slow."

Smart man + Smart Woman = Romance

Smart Man + Dumb Woman = Pregnancy

Dumb Man + Smart Woman = Affair

Dumb Man + Dumb Woman = Marriage

Also, here are a couple of their little pearls of wisdom:

Advice on Life
    You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.

QUOTE: Success, Emerson
    "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success."

What is stress?
    Stress is to refuse to accept a circumstance in your life for which you have no control, stress is measure by the amount of energy that you invest resisting those circumstances. Stress is to waste energy attempting with your thoughts and feelings to change a person, an event or a circumstance surrounding you. The trick to avoid stress is to realize that no amount of effort can ever change the circumstances while they are happening to you, no matter how bad, do not oppose the moment instead, accept and feel what is occurring.