WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Barbie – it is so fun to imagine you learning and teaching all those dances – such a great skill! :smile: :smile:

Missystate - I love the idea of the cats leading other cats into the yard!

Menogain – welcome – what a story, moving when you can is a big help – where are you from? Always fun to see who is from where…

Redhometia – you can do this… welcome

Carol in Monroe – great attitude!

EllieC - welcome

Michele - I think in this group you are the queen of workout DVD's and I know I have mentioned this before but I am getting serious, I have never done a dvd, I did take and liked a yoga class years and years ago, but have never taken an exercise class - so need a super duper beginner one and one that doesn't depend on music for counting as I am somewhat tone deaf and do not hear beat - do you have a recommendation or how do you go about finding one that you might like? I looked at some youtube videos but my little 15 inch laptop screen makes it hard to see and be far enough away to do it...and no way to hook my old laptop to my ancient tv.

Heather - I got my hands on a copy of the magazine called The English Garden - this is the North American version, but the gardens in the pictures are to die for The "kitchen garden" for the chefs at Le Manoir is amazing! and the garden at Kingsbrige Farm is charming.... I think I drooled on the magazine... I thought of you and your gardens... but I didn't see anything about Heather who is on MFP's garden....

My current book is A forgotten Garden by Kate Morton it is got me caught up in it... I have a couple of things to do then going to read.

night all,
    Kim in N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to mark my spot. I'm too tired to post. Have a great evening.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning

Just a quick hello to keep my place :wink: I'm trying to get into the habit of logging in every day.

Don't have a lot of time this morning as had to pop to the post office with DD as they had a parcel for her that they tried to deliver when no one was in. Typical DH is nearly always in the house, but went out and the post man called. Anyway she has it now so she is pleased (its a DVD that she ordered from Amazon)

:flowerforyou: Barbie I bought the book Strong Women stay thin (?) I glanced at it, saw a few of the exercises - did them a few times then put it back on the book shelf :embarassed: :embarassed: I think I'll dust it down and actually READ it ! Since I've joined a book club with the girls at work I read a lot more now, so I've no excuse! Must admit I am getting a buzz out of reading again.

I have booked a holiday to go to Scarborough for a few days (mainly looking after my mum and dad) I'm really looking forward to it - I need a break. Not sure if I've mentioned the mini holiday or not, my memory is terrible :wink: We go on 30th June so no long to wait now. I'll take a few books to read a well as the KOBO DH bought me as a Christmas present. I need to buy "The Midnight Hour" or something like that I know it has midnight in the title :bigsmile: It's by Pamela Hartshorne a York author, she writes about old York and ties it into a type of ghost story with modern day York.

Well this quick "hello" has gone on longer than I expected, and as usual I will be in a rush to get to work on time. Hey Ho it's off to work I go.

TGIF :heart:

Have a good day :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Viv (almost sunny York)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well was in bed and asleep by 5 p.m., Hubby came home slamming doors and not talking to me, because I DIDN'T mow the lawn yesterday, he was swearing and yelling at me, well he did the riding mower and I did the push mower, and I heated up his dinner and went to bed.. really? what DID I do today? yadda yadda yadda.. I am trying to get ready for this vacation, trying to prepare,pack etc... I did go down for about 45 minutes and visit with DFIL took him out on the porch down there and got him one of his mini lemon merengue pies, he polished that off, went out looking for twin bedspreads at thrift shops.. couldnt find any
    Oh well.. i got up at 2:45 am and iced my heel and warm lemon water, gym or race walking will do one or the other.. at least my DFIL enjoys my company,he keeps asking me when I will be coming again, told him I would be there today and then the next 2 days his son would be down
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Alison: “my husband is a weenie”… :laugh: So sorry he yelled at you like that. I personally don’t think partners should treat each other like that. :noway: Hope you got some more sleep.
    Carol: hope you will take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
    Missystate: Welcome. The usual advice is to log your food every day. I’d add: maybe gradually walk the greyhounds longer? They’d enjoy it too…. :wink:
    Diane: gotta say it…your profile photo is a little scary!
    Sylvia: had to laugh at your almost-pants-wetting the first time your Fitbit buzzed. Mine always seems to do it when I reach for something, so I tend to jump back in a kind of reflex, like I’ve touched something electrical.
    Katie: good luck with your new-found drive. Maybe you can inspire me. I’m not doing badly, but tend to end up just above my allotted calories, so loss has really slowed. :grumble:
    Kim: Way to go on the garbage disposal installation! I’m certainly no handywoman, but I can do some stuff and enjoy being able to. I’m also known as The One Who Can Put Ikea Stuff Together. Once in a while I even do it for someone else, like the friend who had bought a nightstand she really needs, and then left the box standing around for two months. I did it in 50 minutes. :laugh:
    Julie: I had plantar fasciitis years ago, but somehow it just disappeared. I also have big heel spurs; they don’t bother me, but I sometimes wonder whether that’s just because I walk so little (have severe knee arthritis). I’m curious what will happen with them when I get my new knee and am able to walk more.

I like that people asked about Amanda. Makes me hope I’d be missed too if I didn’t show up.
    I'm tapering off the beta blocker; have to have two med-free days before the bike stress test on Tuesday.
    Bought a pair of jeans a size smaller yesterday (that's two sizes now). I was looking at my belly in the mirror: I have one of those hanging bellies. I do notice it getting flatter and "squishier", so I'm losing fat there. But it seems to be hanging just as much and I'm afraid it will stay hanging and that I'll have to make the decision later whether or not to get that fixed. But I'm not there yet.

Hope everyone has a good day! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good (very early) morning!!

Strange sleep hours again............I was falling asleep by 9 so went to bed and read till 10, now have been up since 2:30am, oh, for the days when I could get a solid 7-8hrs............well, one good thing
    this place is always open!!

It has been very hot and humid the last two days; yesterday evening we had a terrific storm with winds up close to 60mph, some saw hail but I don't think we had any. Anyway, DD and I just made it home in time before the storm...............many small branches down in the yard and debris for clean up later today. We saw the movie "The Fault in our Stars" made from a John Green novel, it was good, but quite sad, as expected if you read the book.

Suein SD...........I'm gonna go with the horse missed you, not the food, lol.

drkatiebug...........Congrats on eliminating the diet Dr. Pepper!!! My DH had Pepsi for breakfast (and all day!!) when we married, after diagnosis of diabetes, he moved on to diet Dr P.........way too much..........the man does not know moderation, and has moved on to some drink mix..........also overdoing......can't convince him that water is even an option.

Kim.............YAY on installing that disposal yourself!!! Major kudos!!!

Phyliss.........Good for you on choosing to do the workout!

Michele..............I have thought of volunteering at our local theater more than once but have not done so yet.

47Jacqueline............Looks good on those goals!!!

Carolin Monroe...........WTG!!! Congrats on lowering your stress! I like your thoughts on this; you are right, life IS too short to allow ourselves to put up with stress-inducing situations, people, etc!!!!! OOOOMMMMMMM............................

Well, off to unload the dishwasher, maybe do some laundry, etc...........you know, life in the fast lane and all that!

Have a good day, everyone!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    here I am again~
    my foot is screaming the left one... I dont need this on top of everything else..
    so no formal exercise today, will be haulin butt at work today though,,,
    leaving early am ,to go up to N.H.,for the weekend with my brother, we both need a little get away even though we will be working alot of it, we will be together.... no internet for the weekend so will have to write down everything I eat...
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A little bump here. I've been crazy busy at work and can't seem to catch up. My job keeps changing and I don't like it. It's really hard for me to do, I can't seem to focus, I'm miserable doing it, sometimes I get an over whelming feeling that I have to get out and I end up leaving and sometimes I sit here and cry. I feel like I'm going to end up losing this job and I know I should care. I've been here 15 yrs, hava medical, dental, vision and 4 weeks vacation, but I hate it. They have changed the job around until we are basically bill collectors, something I certainly never wanted to be.

My pregnent DD and the kids came over last night while my DSIL worked on the house. I don't know if I said anything but a few weeks ago my DSIL decided to put an upstairs addition on to their house. This while daughter is 8 months pregnent, their dog had been hit by a car and was in a body cast and they have a 2 and 4 yr old at home. Yikes! Crazy! They certainly need the room but the timing was not the greatest. Oh well, it will soon be done and in the mean time DD just comes to my house while he is working on it. Added bonus for me to see the kids. If DDdoesn't go into labor by next Thursday she is scheduled to for a Csection next Friday.
    I'm so glad that it is Friday!!!!
    This ended up being more than a bump. I hope eveyone has a wondeful day, I will try to catch up on the posts tonight.
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I have ordered SWSY . Second hand copy from the US. Including shipping £2.81!

Preparing for our evening dinner party today. Most of it is done, so it's a bit of chopping salads and making sure the table looks nice, cushion plumping etc!:laugh:

Amanda is ok, but still waiting for her op so is not feeling % 100.

Best wishes to all. For those with knee, foot pains etc., there are masses of things you can do, even sitting in a chair. Do not give up! Google stuff, there is endless help out there. No excuses! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! Sylvia... you're soo pretty! Congrats to those who are doing well. Hugs and encouragement to everyone else! Have a happy Day!

Tammy in Va Beach
  • menogain
    menogain Posts: 8
    Options
    Kim,
    Thank you for the welcome and I am from the Poconos of Pa.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    June!! Thanks for starting the thread Barbie :) May was a very busy month and a lot of distractions.

Goals:
    walk 100 mi this month
    take off 5 pounds
    cook healthy foods (my garden :) )

Everyone enjoy where you are on this journey. Love,Live and be Happy!

God Bless
    Patsy
    Lutz FL
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I slept last night!!! AND, I did not take the dreaded Ambien! I feel much better this morning although I could have cheerfully slept a couple of more hours.

Another bit of good news: I was only a couple of hundred steps from hitting my 11,000 goal yesterday. If I had noticed it earlier, I would have walked the rest of them, but I was already in bed and sleep was more important. This is the first time I've been able to walk that much in three weeks. My knee ached when I went to bed, enough that I took a small pain pill (probably aided my sleep), but not enough to make me feel like I need to back off from walking. It seems silly, but being able to exercise again is a huge relief and a mood booster. I didn't realize how much it was getting to me!

Kim - Was it you who put in the disposal? I've tackled a lot of home and car repairs in my time, but I would never have dreamed of putting in my own disposal. Mine is currently not working and I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace it before the house can be sold. Maybe I can find the time and gumption to do it myself! You're my hero!

Heather, I'm going to try the knee exercises you mentioned. Lunges are difficult for me because my knees are so full of arthritis, but I can see where they could definitely be beneficial. When you do the standing on one leg while writing the alphabet with the other, do you have a hand on a counter or chair for extra balance?

Michele - It was indeed a hot, hot day yesterday. We were missed by all of the storms with not even enough rain to wet the ground, but it did take the temps down by a good ten degrees.

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words! I keep telling myself that this, too, shall pass and that life should slow down a bit by autumn. I'm trying really hard to not worry about whether or not the house will sell and continue on as if it will sell quickly. Delusional, maybe, but a way to keep what tiny bit of sanity I have left! :laugh:

On the job front, I mostly like my jobs, but I get so frustrated at the one for their denial that they have staff to meet their sense of entitlement. They are pastor heavy with four full time pastors and one part-time (18 hours per week) support person plus me, and I am not supposed to be support staff for the pastors. But, as in any job where you're part of a team acting in the best interests of the whole, I end up doing "not my job" stuff. These folks have no idea of the money I have saved them over the past 2 1/2 years, but they're too cheap to pay me enough per hour or to pay me for enough hours to properly do the job. They purposely keep both me and the secretary at below 20 hours per week so that they won't have to offer us benefits. I understand that they are trying to cut costs, but they need to look elsewhere--there's a LOT of fat to be cut from the budget if they could control their entitlement attitude and quit making stupid, impulsive spending decisions. Ack! I'm making my blood pressure go up! Rant over....

Now, on a happy note, this is my short day (not a day for the job that is annoying me so much) and I am getting ready to finish up my main task for the day and then do something non-stressful by tidying my office.

Have a great day!

Carol in NC
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It has been. Lovely morning in Oklahoma. Yesterday I did more walking lunges when I did my strength training, today I have a very sore tush. Good to know there are muscles back there. :smile: Today I will do yoga and then treadmill. I have invited my best friend I worked with forever to MFP. We spent yesterday afternoon learning about the site and how to use it. Her name is Barb, user name is Primgal80. We will see if she likes it, she has done weight watchers before.

Barbie, Julie and Heather, I'm going to look for SWSY it sounds like a great book.

Sue, I love that your horse missed you. It reminds me of growing up on the farm with my horse.

Drkatiebug, congrats on leaving Dr. P behind.

Menogain, Redhometia and EllieC, welcome!

Carol in Monroe, very wise words about life. We should strive to do what is necessary for peaceful and happy hearts.

Carol in NC, I'm so glad you got a good night's sleep!

Hugs and good wishes to all I missed.

Have a wonderful day everyone. Take good care of yourselves.

Cindy in OK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Carol - I hate lunges too, but my knees are not currently inflamed. I would not do stuff that hurts. The one leg exercise is done with a bent knee with the bottom sticking out. I don't need to hold on to anything because I am used to balancing through yoga, but if you are nervous then you could have a chair within easy reach. The act of balancing is in itself a great exercise which strengthens the core, the ankles, the legs, the bones etc. Everyone over the age of 40 should be doing them. I can't believe how much improvement I have made, but I still wobble and have to put the other foot down sometimes! :laugh: Good luck!

I had the bright idea of going up to see my depressed son next weekend, but when I emailed him I found he was going to Scotland on a long planned holiday.:ohwell: At least he knows I care. We are going up to London anyway to help out my other son who is in charge of the two children while DDIL is off on a hen party weekend. He wants some support! We will stay Saturday night and then DH wants to go off to the cricket in South London and I thought about nipping up north to see DS#1. Now I will just stay on until the afternoon and then come home on the train and pick DH up later from the train station.

I have just had a cup of tea, having finished all the prep for tonight.:happy: Just got to decide what to wear and put my face on.:laugh: Note to self - don't drink too much tonight.:bigsmile:

Having read the free bit of Strong Women Stay Young on Amazon I am thinking of getting some ankle weights to do some leg raises with. I can do them while I am watching TV. Barbie - I have seen you mention them.

The weather is still glorious here, but I would really appreciate some rain.:ohwell: I hate it when the tv weather forecasters are crowing about the hot weather and all the gardeners and farmers are wishing for a downpour.:sad: Yesterday we did a big water and will have to do it all again tomorrow.

Love to all. Heather in sunny and too dry Hampshire UK
  • teri865
    teri865 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I have 13 months until I turn 50 - still WOWs me when I say or type it. My goal is to be healthy and fit by August 2015 (my birthday month). I have a certain weight that I would like to be at. Long road ahead of me as we are very social people and I enjoy adult beverages at most of those events. And of course it is the fattening sugary ones that I want... hahaha!

Anyways... just wanted to post to get me started in motivating myself and possibly supporting others. :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for the update about Amanda. I also had to have my gallbladder removed some years ago, and it was harrowing waiting for surgery. I worry about her having to deal with this long, long wait.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    The scale was down quite nicely this morning. I now weigh exactly what I weighed on the first of June. I am slightly more than 10 lbs heavier than Jan 1 and 17 lbs heavier than my MFP low of April 2013. My goal is onederland by my 60th birthday in October. This is totally doable, but the motivation will have to continue.

I am now the proud owner of myrealname.com, but I have no idea how to use the templates to design my web page. A trip to see DSIL, the computer programmer, is in my near future. DD has offered his services in exchange for baby sitting, but I will at least get him a gift card. I think I can figure it out myself if I devote a whole day to it and nothing else, but I haven't gotten retirement resting out of my system yet.

I hope I get at least one consulting job out of this to pay for my start up costs!

Have a good day, my pals. I am lunching with some friends from work to say goodbye to another who is leaving. I will order a salad, yes I will!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, we've had clouds, rain and sun since the sun came up. Picked my first tomato!!!!

Patty..............Sorry your job has become so horrible...........still, it would be difficult to give up those benefits and ALL those vacation weeks!!!! Is there some place at work where you can safely vent your displeasure on how your job has changed? I hope you can find a solution. I quit one job back in the mid 80's (but after only a month) because they kept floating me to areas where I didn't have the specialized training I felt was necessary to provide safe and optimal patient care and they were unwilling to provide it...........all that mattered was to show adequate staffing levels on paper. So, I moved on to another place where I was much happier.

menogain..........Originally from PA. here too...........and honeymooned in the Poconos! Welcome.

Carol............Great step total! Congrats on the great sleep. You have so much on your plate; hope your house sale goes well. When my mom's house was being sold, I had a "heated" discussion with a cousin who was a realtor about price and it sold for more than twice what he wanted to try for; my theory being that you can always come down if necessary.

Cindy.............Hope your "bestie" likes it here and is successful.

Heather.............I'd take it as a good sign that your son is carrying out his trip plans, right? But I'm sorry you aren't going to see him. Enjoy your company and the trip to see your lovely grandchildren.

Hope everyone is having a good day,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Viv – I am putting it all together, you live in the UK… duh!? Sometimes I am geography challenged! I am in 2 book clubs and love the different books.

Alison – you are a great caring person and your hubby has an anger management issue! I can’t believe after all you are doing to support him and his vacation that he would be so abusive:noway: . Please take care of yourself. :smile: :smile:

Cynthia – hang in there with your tummy, weight off then maybe crunches or other tummy area exercises… that’s what I am hoping for at least!

Yanniejannie – that hot humid weather is not helping the sleeping…

Patty – I hated job shake up and when management decides that they can change the job until its nothing like what you signed up for grrr…. Is it time to brush up the resume and see what is out there? :smile:

Carol – yes I put in the disposal and it was not bad… start with going to youtube and look at replacing a garbage disposal… I would be happy to tell you all about it if you decide to take it on. It took me about 3 hours including a trip to the hardware store for a piece of pipe…
    And do not worry about the house selling, that is out of your control, only worry about things you can control.

Teri 865 - welcome

DrKatiebug - congrats on the weight being down and you can have a salad with dressing on the side !! you can do it!!!!

All good here, busy still, today is finalizing all the recipes for next week's class and shopping! I called all the families last night and thank goodness there are no food allergies among the kids. I will do very little embroidery next week so trying to get that all caught up too.... a few busy days ahead...

smiles Kim in N. California

OPPS forgot to mention I lost another pound this week - yeah, this one was harder to get off, I had been spoiled at first...