WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Back from vacation in Colorado. Had a really good time. Went horseback riding at Garden of the Gods, hiking at Roxborough? State Park, to the Evergreen rodeo, the Parker Days Fair and Arapaho Race Track. Lots of activity and mostly gluten-free food. I actually lost 2 pounds!!!!!!

Today I went to the grocery store and they had a one-day only sale on fresh raspberries. Yum.

Haven't caught up yet on the posts. Trying to skim through.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Spoke too soon on the tornadoes! Poor town north east of my location was hit badly! Shades of the 1985 tornado from that area!
    No one died, thank god, just a millions in home damage...hold on, we are going for another round of potential storms!
    BJ, SWOnt ( far south in Ontario.)

BJ, we were in Ontario in 1985. It was quite an experience when that tornado hit. Our boys were just about to go on a camp out. Fortunately, the leaders decided to cancel. They would have been in that path. We hid in our cellar and were fine. My heart goes out to those who have been affected by recent storms.

:happy: Well, after almost 3 months of no change at all, I finally shed 1.5 lbs. Go figure. I almost thought there was something wrong with the scale today :laugh: :laugh:

:sick: I am still feeling quite under the weather and stayed home from work again today. Watching day-time tv is not my favourate thing to do. I made a doctor's appt. for Friday, because I may need something for my lungs in case I have to fly overseas and am not better yet. Spoke with my mom today and both my sisters. Mom is being kept comfortable. When talking with her, she was displaying her usual sense of humor! Feisty old woman that she is :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am now paying bills, and doing laundry, so that if I have to go on short notice, all that is done. If nothing happens yet on the Mom front, I will be taking time off next week to help DD and her newborn, which was actually the original plan. Oh my, that little baby is a cutie. :heart:

ttyl
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We had a tornado hit just north of here. What a scary thing, I was planning on how to grab 2 cats and run into the bathroom.

I don't know where the days go, work & gym & family .... the days fly by.

I did lose that last pound so I'm back to where I was at the beginning of May. Now to see if I can lose some more. DD has taken on the new challenge of the C25K so she can run a 5 K.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,915 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We are blessed with good weather today......walked the dogs this morning....learned a beautiful dance today to a song called "Silver Linings" (if you want to find a silver lining, you'll have to go out on a cloudy day....")......had lunch with the line dancers at the Asian buffet where I ate more than usual but not too much, walked the dogs some more, made phone calls, rode the exercise bike and will be headed for bed early.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

:bigsmile: Renny, congrats on the new grandbaby

:flowerforyou: Robin, take care of your own health while you care for Bodi

:flowerforyou: Margaret, I'm not sure why my friend with Hashimoto's stays away from dairy as well as gluten

:bigsmile: Juanita, happy birthday....I started on MFP at age 62 and then lost 60 pounds

:flowerforyou: Tere,thanks for the sage advice about family visits

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :heart: thank you for all the birthday wishes had a great day with my family and didnt over do on eating

wishing everyone a goodnite

juanita in sudbury
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi All:
    I am Phyllis and I live in NC, I am a mom, wife and grandmother. I am 56 and back on MFP, I am looking for ladies for support and to share stories about our sucesses and to encourage each other.

I never had a weight problem early in life but rather after I got married, lol. I am an emotional eater and have lost the weight several times and have regained several times, too, lol.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.

Have a great evening :-)
  • Deborah271
    Deborah271 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, my name is Debbie and I'm from Alberta, I like the idea of a group called 50+, although I must say that with all this weight I'm carrying around, I feel more like 75:sad: I joined mfp around March but I haven't been doing very well, as a matter of fact I even gained five more pounds. I think I had my ah ha moment last night, I'm fat, sick and tired from carrying around all this extra weight, can't physically do it no more so today is my day 1, starting over. I sure could use any tips from people who have walked this journey, I've been overweight most of my life and it seems I'm either bingeing or dieting, I'm so worn out from it all but I know I can't give up because if I do, i'll get even heavier, please help anyone, thank you.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of yoga then an hour of deep water. Came home and went in the pool. Is it ever warm outside! Off to senior bowling in a few. Tomorrow I'm planning to do "10 Pounds Down" DVD

Welcome everyone new

Meg - I heard about the two tornadoes. Wasn't the last time there were two in something like 1968? What destruction, that's terrible! I was just listening to the radio where they talked about how whenever you have guests, it seems that someone is on a special diet -- Paleo, Atkins, gluten free. Sometimes that makes having company not fun. I can see the gluten free if it's a health issue, but for most of the other things, it isn't health related so one day not having Paleo or Atkins won't kill you -- at least that's how I feel

Kim - We moved to West Milford, NJ

Joyce - sounds like you made the best of a bad situation. Congrats

Renny - what a sweet thought -- the earth moved to welcome your grandson!

CynthiaT60 - I remember going to my father's every weekend when he was 83. We knew it was a matter of time, that his kidneys were failing. Like you, every time I left him I made sure to say "I love you" and all the way home I always wondered if that would be the last time I'd see him.

DeeDee - everything is going to look so lovely when it's all done!

Juanita - happy birthday

sptwoman - you have a GREAT attitude "I can only get better". Love it

Carol in NC - I didn't realize that we had so many people here in this part of the state! Sue (needler) is near Asheville, too. She comes up this way very often. When my kids were little they'd ask me why I washed the floor at 11p.m. I told them "so that it would stay clean for more than three minutes", so I hear ya

katla - Lowes Foods is a different entity from the Lowes Hardware. Not sure how it came to be that the name is the same. I THINK Lowes Foods was here and then Lowes Hardware came in, but I'm not sure.

Went in my pool earlier today and figured when we came home from bowling, I'd go back in. Only as we were coming home it started drizzling and then raining. I did have my bathingsuit from swimming this morning on the deck and it got wet. Oh well....

Bodi - awesome!! We need you to take care of Robin for us

Viv - it's been too long

Sylvia - you can try taking that tub of Smart Balance back to the store. When you explain about your allergy, they might very well take it back. I bought Jessica some vitamins a while ago, she has a severe allergy to coconut. The label said "may contain coconut or palm oil". I did buy them but first I asked the gal if I could return them if Jessica couldn't take them. She said that I could even if the bottle had been opened.

bj - stay safe! I'm so sorry to hear about that town NE of you

Sue in SD - was it planned you'd be having gluten free foods, or did it just work out that way? Glad you had a good time

Renny - good for you shedding that weight. It was probably the stress of waiting for gs to be born and now that he is...well.... That's wise of you to be prepared in case you do need to go fly overseas

Phyllis - ANOTHER person from NC! What part of NC are you in?

Debbie - the best advice I can give you is to 1) log EVERYTHING -- good and bad and 2) come here for support/ideas/advice. You CAN do it.

Michele in NC
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. My name is Phyllis from Toronto I joined mfp last week and am really enjoying. I find my first weigh in yesterday morning and I think I probably lost a bit of weight. Ya away. I refuse to think about how much more but am going one step at a time. I got my fitbit I march but have not been consistent in using it. I really like how they synch together.
    Would love to be added as a friend as I am new on the site and don't really have anyone else dieting with me
    Cheers all. Talk tomorrow
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi Michele:
    I am in Cary, NC; I use to live in West Milford, NJ too, lol smile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    thanks Michelle, I have often said that is my motto....turn a negative into a positive. My husband is the exact opposite and I think he gets tired at times that I am always trying to either see the positive or trying to make something good out of something bad. It's just a happier way of life.

Joyce, Indiana
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thank you barbie I can only hope to follow in your footsteps, not the dancing ones 2 left feet here lol

juanita in sudbury
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi girls!
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Joyce, you and your hubby sound like me amd mine, I find it much easier to look at the good in things and ge is t b e opposite. Maybe I wear rose colored glasses ...it just seems easier to find the good.

I have a bit of good news, its the power of M.F.P..my sister has started as well..I am so pleased I am so looking to have a live person to shere the path with !

I worked out today with my weights, only for a short time, as this girl is not going to injure herself. I am just a little bit feeling my walk yesterday in my shins...I want to be in shape but must remember to take baby steps.

Tomorrow is my last day off before the start of my work week on Friday, gardening is in order here.

Take care and have a great day tomorrow

Carol in Monroe
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wizzywig: Welcome back!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Sylvia: You stay away from smart balance due to fish oil and I stay away due to dairy products. :grumble: I think it is a good product, but not good for either of us. Are you sensitive to all fish, or just certain ones? Love the joke. Bear bells…:laugh: :laugh:

Clarehd: Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: I love the Garden of the Gods. DS used to live in Colorado Springs. I would LOVE to ride horses there. Color me envious.:flowerforyou:

Renny: I’m happy that you had a good chat with your mom. I count it a blessing of the modern age that we are able to communicate with loved ones across the world. (and our 50+ friends from far and wide.):flowerforyou:

Sandy: Congratulations on the loss!:flowerforyou:

Debbie from Alberta: Set goals that include logging every bite even if you go over, moving more, and drinking plenty of water. Stick to them. If you mess up today, tomorrow is a new day. Don’t beat yourself up. Get food scales and measuring cups to measure your portions. Portion control was the key to success for me. I always ate good food, but ate too much. Some people choose to avoid certain foods that trigger binges. Do what is right for you. This is a new way of life, NOT a punishment. Stop by here often for support.:flowerforyou:

Today I had a fabulous conversation with DD over the telephone. It made me feel so good to simply chat. We were hoping she could come here for the Fourth of July, but airfare is totally unreasonable right now. If we’d gotten tickets months ago it would have been different. DH and I also worked on the boat. We discovered the batteries are not charging and we have to get the situation fixed ASAP. That will clearly be tomorrow’s main project.

Have a good evening and a great tomorrow.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    Thank you for your concern about my fall. You’ll be glad to know the swelling is way down and the bruises are healing fast.:smile: My hands have no visible signs of injury, but I find they hurt when I’m in bed at night. Have started wearing a soft brace on each hand which helps a lot.

Juanita: Happy Birthday. May all your wishes come true.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Hang in there. Once your house is all done, the misery of renovation mess and hassles becomes a distant memory. It sounds like a fabulous makeover. When’s the party? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sue in SD: You were pretty close to me when you hiked in Roxborough Park in Colorado. :glasses: Sounds like you did some fun stuff. Be glad you're not on hiking trail this afternoon. We had another violent hailstorm in the foothills. :noway:

Robin: Thanks for the update on Bodi. Take inspiration from him and work on getting yourself back to good health. :drinker:

Renny: Congratulations on the new grandson. So precious. :love:

Sandy: Yay for losing the last pound. Bravo to DD on trying a new challenge. :happy:

Michelle: Along the lines of your advice to Sylvia, PetSmart lets you bring back products that don’t agree with your pets. :tongue:

To all the new ladies joining this community, WELCOME! Please keep coming back to grab inspiration, humor, support and tips from a great group that’s here for you every single day. I’m off to bed early tonight. :yawn: :yawn: Will be strength training tomorrow at 5:30 AM.

Stay well,
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Just a morning greeting. Had to get up early after a restless night, and then my colleague texted me that she'll be half an hour later than usual. It's good that I have half an hour extra before I have to leave, but if I'd known I could have set my alarm for half an hour later... :grumble:
    Oh well, at least I have time for a quick post here and a bit more attention to hair, makeup etc. Always makes me feel a bit better.

Hope everyone has a good day,
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :yawn: Morning ladies

:yawn: Feeling very tired this morning and rushing as usual to get ready for work.

:noway: :noway: Can't believe the amount of calories I ate yesterday, no wonder I've not been able to lose any weight! Just shows I am one of those people who need to log their food every day.

Renny I see you have had a new grandbaby many congratulations.:flowerforyou:

Robin what happened to Bodi? Glad he's on the mend I know how much he means to you :flowerforyou:

Michele - you are right it has been too long:flowerforyou:

must dash! It's good to be back :heart: have a great day.

Viv in York UK
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Viv...I am so glad to see you back.

:flowerforyou: Rori...happy that you are on the mend after your fall.

:flowerforyou: Deedee...We've renovated pretty much everything over the years. I hated it before and during the process, but sure am happy with results. Fortunately DH is a handy guy, and he can do a lot himself. I actually never, ever want to renovate again:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Juanita...happy birthday. I love June birthdays. Have one coming up myself on the 30th. I'm a summer girl.

thanks for all the lovely comments about our newest grandson. DD is doing well. Her husband is home this week, and their toddler is a good little "big brother". He's at the 'wanting to help' stage. I finally hope to be well enough to see them tomorrow.

Okay...back to sleep now.
    Renny